Pep asks for more fans to attend City's next match.

You said BIG clubs, just wondering how you define BIG.

Tbh if you hadn’t been a member for so long I’d say you sound more like one of them talking about “We need that money!”.

Rangers haven’t struggled for attendances for a long time, much less in Europe where we consistently have amazing atmospheres.

Why would we need to panic about it now, and why does our attendances stop us from discussing how plastic Man City’s support is?

Also, there is no way it was 40k there last night!
Does their ground even hold 40,000?

You said BIG clubs, just wondering how you define BIG.

Tbh if you hadn’t been a member for so long I’d say you sound more like one of them talking about “We need that money!”.

Rangers haven’t struggled for attendances for a long time, much less in Europe where we consistently have amazing atmospheres.

Why would we need to panic about it now, and why does our attendances stop us from discussing how plastic Man City’s support is?

Ffs I’m not one of them . I’ll be in my usual seat in the Copland rear tonight!

I saw a post , I think on here, of the availability of tickets for Lyon game and there was a worrying amount of tickets available. I think the price is steep but hey ho you’re quite right. This is about City and only getting 40,000ish for a group stage game

I saw a post , I think on here, of the availability of tickets for Lyon game and there was a worrying amount of tickets available. I think the price is steep but hey ho you’re quite right. This is about City and only getting 40,000ish for a group stage game
If, as you say there was 40,000 last night at the Etihad, that is 72% capacity.

At Ibrox that would give an attendance of 36,000 attendance. We get more than that for pre season friendlies.

Someone on here or Twitter was saying tickets are available for students for £12.50.

No matter what you think of their support, that’s an excellent price to watch one of the top teams in the country.

Before the Arabs, they were a decently supported team. Why has that changed with success?
In the fifties Maine Road was one of the bigger grounds in England and City had a support that was easily as big if not bigger than United's.
Although Matt Busby started yo change that and Munich would see United become (for a while) everyone's second team.
When City's fortunes waned and they went down divisions, their support was remarkably loyal.
I cannot understand why they struggle to fill their stadium today?
Perhaps the extensive lure and glamour of United has captured recent generations of locals?

Lyon game is going to end up very close to a sell out.

I read they were advertising on a student deal website for tickets at £12.50 for last night.

It's not as if the stadium is huge only around 55k and was quite empty last night.

Before the Arabs, they were a decently supported team. Why has that changed with success?
I had a mate who went to watch City he always said they had a steady 25000 crowd and 30000+ when they were doing well. But they moved it’s more expensive to watch them now and pre the Arab investment they were toiling in the lower leagues. It will take them a while to rebuild their fan base.

Tell you what I really don't like the Etihad as a football stadium, either. I've been in a 7,000 travelling away crowd there and the atmosphere just disappears out of the ground. Especially in the lower tiers, the view is rubbish and it feels like the roof is about 4 miles above your head. It just feels like a cavernous hole.

There was a thread on here the other day about Juventus and leaving the Delle Alpi. I always expected the Saudi's to do similar at City instead of extending the Etihad.

They've alienated a lot of working class City fans. You might find this hard to believe, but a lot of their supporters preferred going to watch them at Maine Road when they were pish. They still have a massive support and it's silly to suggest otherwise.

Yeah,dead ironic.
We went to the Everton v Lille game the following night.
Didn’t buy a half and half scarf at either game.
Go to games in England regularly.
Been to hundreds.
Yet are slagging them for attracting tourist fans of which you are one.

That was in smaller grounds. They've increased it to 55k which looks like is 5/10 k at least too big for them.
Went on a stadium tour a few weeks ago the tour guide said to me they are adding another 10k on it to make it bigger so they can qualify for holding the champions League final will look even more empty then :D

I bought a ticket for the City v Monaco QF that ended 5-3 the night before the match with no purchase history at all. That’s how easy it is for tickets.

Tell you what I really don't like the Etihad as a football stadium, either. I've been in a 7,000 travelling away crowd there and the atmosphere just disappears out of the ground. Especially in the lower tiers, the view is rubbish and it feels like the roof is about 4 miles above your head. It just feels like a cavernous hole.

There was a thread on here the other day about Juventus and leaving the Delle Alpi. I always expected the Saudi's to do similar at City instead of extending the Etihad.
When they took the stadium over after the commonwealth games I think it only held 30k odd so they removed the running track and dug it all out 10 meters down that's probably why it feels like a massive hole because it is :D

Even as a complete random who only has interest in looking to attend a one off game of theirs, I will be pissed if this actually happens - 100% going to try and get tickets to their game against PSG

half and half scarf loyal.

**%^*& them, going to a gig instead.
Its usually quite easy to get CL tckts for etihad , ive took my boy down a few times and got tckts no bother , just register your details on the website and create a cityzens account it doesnt cost you anything

Tickets started at £20 last night, didn’t bother to check the maximum price.

Everyone of their home games is currently up for sale for this season, probably have been up a number of weeks now and no games are sold out, including their derby and other top 6 sides.

All of their fans was er last night.

What hes asking is for more new fans (tourists) to attend.

It's like st johnstone building a 60k stadium then moaning they can't fill it.

Its usually quite easy to get CL tckts for etihad , ive took my boy down a few times and got tckts no bother , just register your details on the website and create a cityzens account it doesnt cost you anything

Cheers, I literally saw a thread in the lounge for a gig the same night about 2 minutes after I had posted that, appreciate the advice though!

I am heading down in a few weeks to see City play Chelsea, it was a piece of piss getting tickets for that.

It hasn't really. They probably have a core of around 30-35,000 match attending fans. Which has increased to an extent with the success but you can't really magic up 20,000 people to make the place a sell out.

What happened to their core fans fom filling out Maine Road in the third tier to this?

Maine Road only held 35k, but as with most older stadiums had character and a soul.

They average about 45k, but the Etihad, just like the Emirates in my opinion whilst they are excellent in terms of facilities are not a patch on the their old stadiums.

I think the criticism of City fans is harsh. Anyone who remembers them going down to the lower leagues will know that they still drew 30k+ on a regular basis.

The problem seems to be that, for whatever reason, they've never increased that core fan base in the UK. They'll have increased it massively abroad, but in the UK it's still that same core.

But their core support is still there and is still strong. They were there when the club was at it's lowest - and it's not their fault that their team was taken over by oil tycoons.

I went on one of those Parks buses they run for boys clubs etc. I won't lie when I say it was the worst experience of watching football ever. W4nkers outside singing oasis songs, tourists everywhere (including myself obviously) you could just tell some kids had came home from school on Thursday and asked daddy to go to a soccer match and daddy had bought matching kits for the full family and off they trotted probably never to be seen again.
Don't get me wrong, and this is something I gave a lot of thought to last night, I'm generally out of love with football, other than Rangers. I can't watch a full 90 minutes of any game anymore unless it's us or my boys games. I flicked through BT last night but quite frankly I was bored rigid by it.
I like to keep an eye on the results of the local juniors and amateurs but as for sitting watching a game on TV, I just can't be ar5ed.

They probably don’t class group stage games as that important.

Most likely this.

It's coming from 10+ years of being spoilt by their sugardaddy. They see the group games as a stepping stone to the knockouts and therefore can't be arsed.

Meanwhile, we are selling out games left, right and centre because not a single fan takes our club for granted.

Tickets started at £20 last night, didn’t bother to check the maximum price.

Everyone of their home games is currently up for sale for this season, probably have been up a number of weeks now and no games are sold out, including their derby and other top 6 sides.
Not really 100% true that is it:

Genuinely quite embarrassing that.
The amount of quality players and the football they play yous think it’d be packed out. I understand times are hard financially but this has been ongoing for City

Not really 100% true that is it:

Which part is not true? If you’ve been to 3 games at the stadium before and are a member you can go on right now and buy a ticket for that match. Looks like there is 400 or so left. It’s been on sale there for weeks.

Turn the tables round and we’d have sold that game in seconds if the only requirement was to be a MyGers member having been to Ibrox 3 times before.

During an injury to a Liverpool player in the first half last night I switched over to the City game to see what was happening. The contrast in their crowd was stark. The atmosphere was like a library compared to Anfield.

Which part is not true? If you’ve been to 3 games at the stadium before and are a member you can go on right now and buy a ticket for that match. Looks like there is 400 or so left. It’s been on sale there for weeks.

Turn the tables round and we’d have sold that game in seconds if the only requirement was to be a MyGers member having been to Ibrox 3 times before.
Well you seemed to be implying every match is on sale general, Man U certainly isn’t.

PSG also isn’t on sale full stop?

See I keep hearing how good it is there, which I find odd. Quite a few people on here have said and a few mates who have taken their kids have also said of it. By that I think they must mean the zone outside and inside I think they mean in terms of buying food and drink. Get the impression it’s good for families. I always have the impression it’s a pretty quiet tame and quiet atmosphere (everything a trip to Maine Road wasn’t, inside and out), tempted to go to find out for myself.
Aye that's exactly it. Much more of the new generation stadium and fan experience.

I've been to Old Trafford and I didn't enjoy it either. Much more atmosphere there however as it's very much more fans that's have travelled and are up for it.

There’s not much near the stadium???? You’ve never been

You’ve got one of the best Fan Zones in UK football.

‘A good walk from the train’… The Etihad Campus is literally a major Tram stop

There is usually a free bus service with a fleet of buses back into the town

Of all the fake news I’ve read on here regarding City this is by a considerable distance the worst
I just didn't enjoy the whole experience as its a generational thing. I much prefer going to Edgeley or the Non League Grounds I visit with Buxton. I've had more fun at Hillsborough and Elland Road going watching Derby.

Well you seemed to be implying every match is on sale general, Man U certainly isn’t.

PSG also isn’t on sale full stop?

Fair enough if that’s the way you are reading my post, however I’m only pointing out that the tickets can actually be bought now. 3 games and a membership is all that’s required. Pretty pathetic they can’t muster up the interest to have that sold out by now.

PSG game, full agreement not on sale. Would imagine it’ll be a sell out, with high ticket prices to boot, but that crowd will have a few thousand neutrals there to see an oil money Harlem Globetrotting event, not filed with Man City fans.

I hate the trams take ages. Stopping all the time.

No they don’t. It’s about 10 mins from Piccadilly cutting out all the traffic mayhem.

Tram is the quickest most convenient way to get to the ground from the City.

We park car near Holm Town (?) tram stop. Get Tram into town for a few beers then back to the ground

I just didn't enjoy the whole experience as its a generational thing. I much prefer going to Edgeley or the Non League Grounds I visit with Buxton. I've had more fun at Hillsborough and Elland Road going watching Derby.
You lot are worse than City for throwing money about mind! I prefer non league now (Northern Premier), stand and have a pint etc… be different for those with families I expect, those are the ones who seem to enjoy going City now.

Fair enough if that’s the way you are reading my post, however I’m only pointing out that the tickets can actually be bought now. 3 games and a membership is all that’s required. Pretty pathetic they can’t muster up the interest to have that sold out by now.

PSG game, full agreement not on sale. Would imagine it’ll be a sell out, with high ticket prices to boot, but that crowd will have a few thousand neutrals there to see an oil money Harlem Globetrotting event, not filed with Man City fans.
A lot of lads who went in the Kippax wouldn’t have paid all season mate back then, let alone been the type to pay for memberships and have a booking history now. Just how it has all changed in some parts of the North.

Latest posts

Back