Rangers Liverpool connection

Link as well via Archibald Leitch - although the guy did designed a number of football grounds in the UK.

There was a vague connection up to the mid 70's when some Liverpool fans would come up for games at Ibrox. I remember standing next to some Scousers who were wearing their Liverpool scarves when we beat the Scum 2-1 in the very first premier league game we ever played. Bizarrely at that time Liverpool FC had a habit of playing the filth in testimonial games so any connection would be down to fans only.
By the early 80's any connection had gone as the demographics of their support was rapidly changing with the Romanists now latching onto their European success. Nowadays there's probably no more connection to us other than Steven Gerrard.
Ditto Man City. Quite a few from both sides followed each other back in the day, but nowadays City are probably hated more by us ( except me lol......) than any other English club and a lot of their fans are full on Woke........so I suppose there's nothing left there either.

Souness, Walters, Adam, Gerrard, McAllister.

That's the only connections I can think of.

We have just as much connection with Everton;

Smith, Durrant, Ferguson, Steven, Stevens, Rideout, Gazza
You forgot the main Everton player we signed, Andy Gray.

Wasn't a coincidence that Souness signed more Everton players than Liverpool ones

Everton being a Catholic club, who in the 50s and 60s flew the tricolour over goodish and who still to this day sing about throwing Liverpool and Rangers in the Mersey. Listen for yourself on YouTube Royal Blue Mersey song
Everton are not a catholic club, as they were actually formed by methodists.True about the song and tricolour though.

Growing up in the 70s my dad always bought me Liverpool strips, and I had half Rangers/Liverpool pennants etc ...on my wall, Scumtic fans always had an affinity with Man Utd.

The lines have definitely blurred over the years but I'd say there's still a sizeable part of the support have a soft spot for Liverpool, although 80s kids onward would lean more towards Chelsea/ Man City.
I must be of a similar age to you.
I remember we liked Liverpool and that mob liked Man Utd. (Rod Stewart sings about this in "You're in My Heart" with the line about you're my Celtic United baby i've decided etc. I always laugh at the debates if he is a turncoat. The twat has always supported the Tims.)

Liverpool played a friendly against St Mirren at Love Street in the mid 70's and there were loads of Gers fans at the game supporting Liverpool. I think it started to change when Dalgleish went to Liverpool and the Tims then decided that they loved Liverpool.

The only, and most bitter, Rangers hating Englishman i've ever known is a scouse Liverpool supporter. The others i've worked with have no allegiance to us, except maybe a little more interest now that Gerrard's here. On the other hand i've met and worked with quite a few guys from Middlesbrough who were all big Rangers supporters. I've experienced similar with lads from the South and other parts. They go out of their way to tell you they prefer Rangers and look out for our results.

Think it stems from this game https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/19-20/comment/talkingpoints/39502.html

Wonder if any of the older posters have any memory of this from the time @Valley Bluenose @Johansen.

They didn’t seem to like us very much :))
I wasn't at that one mate. Went to a later testimonial game down at Goodison though - in the late 70s or early 80s maybe - and it has the honour of being the only ground I've visited where me and my cousins got chased through the streets and, eventually, set upon. Hated scousers - of either persuasion - ever since.:)

EDIT: It was May 1974. Everton won 2-1. There were streakers on the pitch (male unfortunately) and all sorts going on.

Last edited:

Always thought it was Everton 'mon the Toffe's

The chelsea connection makes most sense to me. They sell half and half scarves outside Ibrox and the bridge. Chelsea are a global club now but we still have true proud fans with loyalist values
The Irish Chelsea fans on twitter are some laugh btw. Shitting on our club constantly and spamming the Tri colour all over the place. You can tell they've never been to the bridge before.

Tbh, Most people only have one team they really care about..as it should be; however, some fans have an affection for some other teams. In terms of English teams I quite like then I would say Leeds is probably the club I like to see win the most, although I have always liked Liverpool too. This doesn't mean I dislike the other English clubs, but Rangers is the only club that can ruin my weekend with a defeat. The vast majority of supporters in England prefer us over the poets, for obvious reasons.

Everton being a Catholic club, who in the 50s and 60s flew the tricolour over goodish and who still to this day sing about throwing Liverpool and Rangers in the Mersey. Listen for yourself on YouTube Royal Blue Mersey song
As a very old timer I remember that Liverpool were always regarded by the Rangers support in the late 50's and 60's as the proddy club and Everton were the Catholics. I don't recall any specific relationship other than that.

There was a vague connection up to the mid 70's when some Liverpool fans would come up for games at Ibrox. I remember standing next to some Scousers who were wearing their Liverpool scarves when we beat the Scum 2-1 in the very first premier league game we ever played. Bizarrely at that time Liverpool FC had a habit of playing the filth in testimonial games so any connection would be down to fans only.
By the early 80's any connection had gone as the demographics of their support was rapidly changing with the Romanists now latching onto their European success. Nowadays there's probably no more connection to us other than Steven Gerrard.
Ditto Man City. Quite a few from both sides followed each other back in the day, but nowadays City are probably hated more by us ( except me lol......) than any other English club and a lot of their fans are full on Woke........so I suppose there's nothing left there either.
Don't worry mate, I'm sure we all still hate Manchester United more well I do anyway. Wouldn't say I hate City

Liverpool FC was formed by the Grand Master of the Orange in liverpool..he was also the mayor of the city ..on doing the tour of their stadium (which is superb) a couple of years ago ..I noticed in the new main stand they have some old stuff from the original Anfield ..among them is a seating area with the words ..The Crimson above it ...ABOD

For me goes back to when a kid in 60s then 70s euro nights on black and white telly. Always seemed to be having fight backs plenty goals noisy crowds exciting players. Don't know of club connection but I heard that the local OO members were more likely to be Liverpool fans?
Liverpool’s first manager was an Orangeman. They were once the “Protestant” club and Everton the “RC,” but that’s long faded. Liverpool did have their own version of Derry’s Walls until recently though.

I’m Liverpool as my brother moved there in 74 and I got taken along as a kid

Plenty of Liverpool lads used to come up for games in the late 70’s early 80’s abd I used to go stand on the Kop when we didn’t have a game

But to say there’s a connection between the clubs would be wrong
Just like minded loyalists supporting the Uks biggest loyalist club imho
At Everton v Rangers in 1974 there was a big Liverpool presence in with the Rangers fans.

Most of the Everton fans I know fellow Celtic as their second team.
Most English clubs will have fans who follow us and them.

As a very old timer I remember that Liverpool were always regarded by the Rangers support in the late 50's and 60's as the proddy club and Everton were the Catholics. I don't recall any specific relationship other than that.
Everton are a Methodist club formed from st domingos Methodist church

Liverpool’s first manager was an Orangeman. They were once the “Protestant” club and Everton the “RC,” but that’s long faded. Liverpool did have their own version of Derry’s Walls until recently though.
Everton were never an rc club, the guy that founded Liverpool was an Orangeman not the manager, the same Orangeman that was president of Everton for years

Everton were never an rc club, the guy that founded Liverpool was an Orangeman not the manager, the same Orangeman that was president of Everton for years
Fair enough but Liverpool's first manager, John McKenna, was also an Orangeman.

Thought that mob had the "speshul relationship" with Liverpool?
That’s what they always tried to portray, in their everyone pure loves us please love us kinda way.

I remember asking a bunch of Liverpool fans if they supported a Scottish club and everyone said Rangers, and that Everton was the Timmy club.

I moved away from Scotland when I was young and Liverpool became my adopted team as I could not see Rangers on TV for many years.
I follow Liverpool closely, and the current connection with our boss and his team have made that connection more valuable than ever.

For me goes back to when a kid in 60s then 70s euro nights on black and white telly. Always seemed to be having fight backs plenty goals noisy crowds exciting players. Don't know of club connection but I heard that the local OO members were more likely to be Liverpool fans?
Original research supports the suggestion of ‘mixed’ support for the Merseyside clubs, by the membership of the Orange Institution. Of a surveyed 215 members 27.2 per cent stated that they were Evertonians, while 42.1 per cent stated they were Liverpudlians. 21.7 per cent of the selections were made for Rangers (however, many ticked two boxes, coupling their support for a Merseyside team with the Glasgow club). A further 9 per cent stated not interested in football. You can find anything about the paper about the "rise and fall of Liverpool sectarianism" https://livrepository.liverpool.ac.uk/2010280/3/RobertsKei_April2015_2010280.pdf#:~:text=Sectarianism in Liverpool: scale and origins Over a,into Liverpool between 1845 and 1852. Nevertheless

In the late 70s those scarf and badge vendors outside the ground used to sell a Rangers Liverpool badge.
Almost every Rangers fan outside of Northern Ireland had a massive dislike of Man Utd and many tended tended to favour Liverpool because of that.

One of my earliest memories of going to Ibrox in the early 80's alongside us being shite, wagon wheels and blister packs of chewing gum, is seeing half liverpool/half rangers woolly hats.

I’ve had a soft spot for Liverpool since the early 70s, I loved watching that team with Toshack and Keegan up front, Steve Heighway flying down the wing, Brian Hall, Chris Lawler, Alec Lindsay, Tommy Smith.

Gergory Vinial, John Flannigan, Alex Miller ,Rossiter,Ojo,Kent

Back