Rangers Liverpool connection

Most Liverpool fans I've ever met (not many) have favoured the Filth. Strangely enough most Man U fans I've met favour us.

Everton being a Catholic club, who in the 50s and 60s flew the tricolour over goodish and who still to this day sing about throwing Liverpool and Rangers in the Mersey. Listen for yourself on YouTube Royal Blue Mersey
I wasn't at that one mate. Went to a later testimonial game down at Goodison though - in the late 70s or early 80s maybe - and it has the honour of being the only ground I've visited where me and my cousins got chased through the streets and, eventually, set upon. Hated scousers - of either persuasion - ever since.:)

EDIT: It was May 1974. Everton won 2-1. There were streakers on the pitch (male unfortunately) and all sorts going on.

Anyone but Celtic
Anyone but Liverpool.
Gerrard will be delighted to read some of the comments in here, most not all depise scousers yet bet you two barstewards kissed his scouse a$$ winning 55, take down all the gerrard flags and thanks gaffa if your hatred of scousers is so deep

I'm a Liverpool fan and season ticket holder for 33 years, I also love Rangers! My dad used to go up to Glasgow in the 70s to watch the bears if Liverpool had a poor away game staying in Maryhill with friends and fellow bears and they would come down to anfield. Do Liverpool and Rangers have a special connection more so now with Gerrard at the wheel? My old account on here I remember a thread a few years back about LFC/Rangers connection and it had alot of negativety about Liverpool.
As a club we've never had a particularly strong relationship with either Liverpool or Everton although if pushed I would say that in the early 1960s probably more of a relationship with Everton due to the British Championship games v them. In the late 1960s many of our fans were favourable towards Liverpool although we had many fans who favoured Man City more than any other English club, probably because of the strong Freemasonry traditions that Man City had back then

Everton being a Catholic club, who in the 50s and 60s flew the tricolour over goodish and who still to this day sing about throwing Liverpool and Rangers in the Mersey. Listen for yourself on YouTube Royal Blue Mersey

Gerrard will be delighted to read some of the comments in here, most not all depise scousers yet bet you two barstewards kissed his scouse a$$ winning 55, take down all the gerrard flags and thanks gaffa if your hatred of scousers is so deep
Go find a scouser who will wave a Union Jack

Souness, Walters, Adam, Gerrard, McAllister.

That's the only connections I can think of.

We have just as much connection with Everton;

Smith, Durrant, Ferguson, Steven, Stevens, Rideout, Gazza
Think you’ll find a lot more Everton

Gough , Myhre , Spencer , Clleland , Weir , Gray.

For me goes back to when a kid in 60s then 70s euro nights on black and white telly. Always seemed to be having fight backs plenty goals noisy crowds exciting players. Don't know of club connection but I heard that the local OO members were more likely to be Liverpool fans?
Regarding OO members in the City of Liverpool there are many Everton fans who are OO members just as there are Liverpool fans, support of either club isn't an issue where OO membership is concerned.

I'm a Liverpool fan and season ticket holder for 33 years, I also love Rangers! My dad used to go up to Glasgow in the 70s to watch the bears if Liverpool had a poor away game staying in Maryhill with friends and fellow bears and they would come down to anfield. Do Liverpool and Rangers have a special connection more so now with Gerrard at the wheel? My old account on here I remember a thread a few years back about LFC/Rangers connection and it had alot of negativety about Liverpool.

Good on you. Always good to see Liverpool and Rangers fans. Liverpool have always been my favourite English team since being the first English team I saw live. This was at the European Cup semi final in Düsseldorf vs Borussia Mönchengladbach in 1978, we were living in Germany at the time as my dad was in the RAF. I was a mere youngster so this was a great game to get to. Great contingent of Scots in the team over the years too - Dalglish, Hansen, Souness etc.

My Grandad used to get on a bus from Larkhall to Liverpool games; he went there fairly often if we were away and Liverpool were home.

When i was a lad. i loved Liverpool in Europe with Keegan and Toshack and the ginger super sub

Yeah mate
Thanks a lot of info on forum now.
Original research supports the suggestion of ‘mixed’ support for the Merseyside clubs, by the membership of the Orange Institution. Of a surveyed 215 members 27.2 per cent stated that they were Evertonians, while 42.1 per cent stated they were Liverpudlians. 21.7 per cent of the selections were made for Rangers (however, many ticked two boxes, coupling their support for a Merseyside team with the Glasgow club). A further 9 per cent stated not interested in football. You can find anything about the paper about the "rise and fall of Liverpool sectarianism" https://livrepository.liverpool.ac.uk/2010280/3/RobertsKei_April2015_2010280.pdf#:~:text=Sectarianism in Liverpool: scale and origins Over a,into Liverpool between 1845 and 1852. Nevertheless
Thanks I didn't think there was a strong affiliation and if any it was in the past before the rise with Shankly.

Thanks a lot of info on forum now.

Thanks I didn't think there was a strong affiliation and if any it was in the past before the rise with Shankly.
The first time i went to Anfield and i knew that there was sectarian tensions in the city but it opened my eyes this was 1971. We walked from the city onto the Scotland Rd and it was full of pro RC IRA and Everton stuff on the walls re football stuff it was EFC +CFC. Then we got onto Everton Valley and up Netherfield Rd and it was 100% LFC + RFC pro Ulster stuff etc Although both clubs are not really either Prod or RC But the graffiti would say something else that was 1971 things have changed though

The Irish Chelsea fans on twitter are some laugh btw. Shitting on our club constantly and spamming the Tri colour all over the place. You can tell they've never been to the bridge before.
Yeah , I wouldn't recognize any irish republican as a chelsea fan to be honest lol

Well there’s a tricolour behind the goal to the left hanging at every home game.

Liverpool are a proper football club with great fans. Anytime I’ve been to Anfield and mixed with Liverpool fans in the pubs I’ve always felt welcome when I chat to them. Some prefer Rangers , some Celtic. It doesn’t bother me because they are Liverpool fans first and foremost and probably deep down they couldn’t care less about Scottish football. Liverpool have always been my English club.

Everton being a Catholic club, who in the 50s and 60s flew the tricolour over goodish and who still to this day sing about throwing Liverpool and Rangers in the Mersey. Listen for yourself on YouTube Royal Blue Mersey song
Exactly. That’s my understanding. Lived in Liverpool for a few years late 90s and early 00s. Great city and people. Loved it.

Lot of Rangers supporters had Liverpool badges or patches on scarves in the 70’s
Mate was big Liverpool fan who used to go down, Said a good crowd in the Kop would chant for Rangers.
But then I think it was same with Man City and a few other clubs too.

People will say no, ... people will say yes.
However, Rangers have a connection with every English club where supporters enjoy the community link of being British, and proud of being British and of course proud of our nation's wonderful history and honorable traditions.
I think as a club, Rangers like to enshrine all that is good about being British and in turn we are proud to be associated with all the other British clubs, including Liverpool with whom we share so much history.

Personally, I was fortunate enough to get over to Anfield when I was a young serviceman in the early seventies with a pal of mine whose family all liked Rangers and who worked a pub near the ground where I enjoyed listening to songs that no Rangers man would ever object to hearing.

Billy (sometimes called Willie) Stevenson hasn't been mentioned yet*. He was Rangers' left-half but left for Liverpool the season after Jim Baxter signed. He figured strongly in Liverpool's league title triumphs in 1964 and 1966, as well as Liverpool's first FA Cup victory in 1965.

Bill Shankly played for Partick Thistle during the war (he was based in Bishopbriggs, just north of the city and Firhill was closest) but he really wanted to play for Rangers.

In September 1923 Rangers played Liverpool at Ibrox in the Arthur Dixon testimonial match, the result being 1-1. In April that season, Rangers defeated Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield in a match titled 'the British Championship'. (In the 30s Rangers defeated Arsenal over two legs in another match labelled 'the British Championship').

In December 1981 Rangers invited Liverpool as guests to commemorate the completion of the Ibrox redevelopment with a powerful Liverpool side winning 2-0.

In terms of Rangers' relationships with English clubs, I believe we have played Newcastle Utd. most often and have had more players from Everton than any other English club. However, our strongest relationship as a club is with Arsenal, due to the friendship between Bill Struth and Herbert Chapman. Just to complicate matters, by the 80s a Rangers-Chelsea link among supporters had developed.

That said, back in the 70s I'd say most Rangers fans leaned towards Liverpool as their favourite English team (some preferred City), while Celtic fans appeared to link with Man. Utd. I guess that's changed quite a bit over the years, with Celtic craving friendship with just about everyone.

Due to the sectarian divide in Glasgow and Liverpool, some Rangers fans automatically think this transfers over to the Liverpool-Everton rivalry, although most of us are aware that it doesn't. Someone should perhaps point this out to Paul McCartney!

* The post above beat me to it!

Billy (sometimes called Willie) Stevenson hasn't been mentioned yet*. He was Rangers' left-half but left for Liverpool the season after Jim Baxter signed. He figured strongly in Liverpool's league title triumphs in 1964 and 1966, as well as Liverpool's first FA Cup victory in 1965.

Bill Shankly played for Partick Thistle during the war (he was based in Bishopbriggs, just north of the city and Firhill was closest) but he really wanted to play for Rangers.

In September 1923 Rangers played Liverpool at Ibrox in the Arthur Dixon testimonial match, the result being 1-1. In April that season, Rangers defeated Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield in a match titled 'the British Championship'. (In the 30s Rangers defeated Arsenal over two legs in another match labelled 'the British Championship').

In December 1981 Rangers invited Liverpool as guests to commemorate the completion of the Ibrox redevelopment with a powerful Liverpool side winning 2-0.

In terms of Rangers' relationships with English clubs, I believe we have played Newcastle Utd. most often and have had more players from Everton than any other English club. However, our strongest relationship as a club is with Arsenal, due to the friendship between Bill Struth and Herbert Chapman. Just to complicate matters, by the 80s a Rangers-Chelsea link among supporters had developed.

That said, back in the 70s I'd say most Rangers fans leaned towards Liverpool as their favourite English team (some preferred City), while Celtic fans appeared to link with Man. Utd. I guess that's changed quite a bit over the years, with Celtic craving friendship with just about everyone.

Due to the sectarian divide in Glasgow and Liverpool, some Rangers fans automatically think this transfers over to the Liverpool-Everton rivalry, although most of us are aware that it doesn't. Someone should perhaps point this out to Paul McCartney!

* The post above beat me to it!
and you beat me to it about Billy Stevenson saw him a few times showing my age, cheers.

Special relationships should be left to the scum. Cringy as hell, especially the blues brothers stuff that only seemed to become prominent when they became the first oil club.

Says the man with Souness86 as his nome du plume…you don’t do irony do you?
Ah so because he played with both clubs we have a "special connection"?

Does that mean we have a special connection with Kenny Miller's former clubs as well?

Looking for connections with other clubs is very Celticy.

Think there was a sort of connection but when Dalglish signed and some supporters wore dual scarfs put lot people off. I’ve soft spot for Arsenal because of our connection over the years. End of the day I only support the Gers.

Liverpool are mine and my families English team, my dad bought me the grey away kit when I was kid and I loved it. Been to see them twice, tho it’s a nightmare to get tickets. I’ve booked the anfield and museum tour as a wee surprise for my kids. Not sure if there is a connection but i do know a lot of our fans that support them, I know Chelsea are popular too

A few Celtic supporting mates always mention this when the discussion come up, not sure if there’s anything to it.

Find it strange, and ironic - considering they stole Liverpool’s great football anthem.
Every Liverpool fan I have met say they dislike them because they not only stole "their" song but claim they sung it first.

Back