Rangers open transfer talks with Lens over Oscar Cortes

We should pass on him and use the money to sign someone else.

We have repeatedly signed players with bad injuries and it almost always backfires.

Why risk it?

If we are going to sign Sima then it would be a no from me as we already have Mantondo. Only way I can see us getting him would be to sell Matondo.

Those quoting hamstring - I was pretty sure it was his knee with an operation required?

My worry is the Hagi example - came back a totally different and lesser player, even though he was young

If we are going to sign Sima then it would be a no from me as we already have Mantondo. Only way I can see us getting him would be to sell Matondo.
I definitely want Sima & definitely want Matondo moved on to raise some funds/save on his wages.

Cortes I think would have given us more than Matondo, but the injury is a concern.

The overhaul we desperately need this summer is going to be a hell of a ride…

Early signs were really promising, he always made himself available for a pass and was a genuine goal threat. Would be happy with Cortes or Sima given that role next year. Obviously on the condition he's proven his fitness before we sign any deal.

I'm torn on this one.

He showed promising signs in the limited number of minutes he appeared for us.

But, were we linked with a permanent move for a player who had appeared in 11 first team matches this season due to either injury or not being selected, would we be happy?

I'm inclined to think that another loan would be best.

I wouldn't be against that at all mate.
I would!

Lammers is worth more at present.

Cortes might be worth more to us as a player, but considering their form, Cortes is off the back of a disappointing time at the club that owns him (just as Lammers was) but whilst Lammers has spent his time since January breaking goal scoring records and generally rolling up his league, Cortes has been crocked.

We will sell Lammers for more than we buy Cortes now.

Pretty sure we had been tracking this lad for a long time prior to getting him on loan. The injury is the concern for me in terms of recurrence but it looked a bit of a freak one in terms of how he landed rather than running and it went.

Loan to buy would be ideal but maybe we are going to get him at a knocked down price and club medical team (I know) aren’t too worried long term

Looked like he could be a decent player and still very young at 20

I would!

Lammers is worth more at present.

Cortes might be worth more to us as a player, but considering their form, Cortes is off the back of a disappointing time at the club that owns him (just as Lammers was) but whilst Lammers has spent his time since January breaking goal scoring records and generally rolling up his league, Cortes has been crocked.

We will sell Lammers for more than we buy Cortes now.
Cortes came from a much better league than Lammers flopped in and moved to.

Why would you choose a player who was shite in this league already over one that wasn't based on 4 months in their whole careers when one was out injured?

I'm likely very much in the minority but, on what little we saw of him, I thought he was pretty average before his injury.

He’s been massively over hyped on here. He had a couple of flashes and scored one good goal. He’s got potential but there were clear flaws and we need an extended period of time before people actually declare him to be excellent.

His injury has turned out to be big turning point in season for us unfortunately. He looked good in a number of games before getting injured.

Strong, direct and looked a goal threat too.

As long as injury is cleared up and there’s no history there of same injury, it’s a no brainer for me.

Really not sure about this one. Bad injury and we have a horrible record of signing injury prone players. I'd prefer another 6 month loan then make a decision on whether to buy.

We won’t be spending £4m on him this summer. It will be another loan with a buy option in the summer 2025.

I was impressed with him in the games that he played, if we can get him and Sima on another loan (fitness provided) then it would be a good start for us.

I do recognise Sima and Cortes are both injured though so I should probably get a job in the recruitment team

So, just to be clear, you think that every footballer whose ever been sold by a club is shite - is that what you’re getting at?
No, that would be huge generalisation, clearly.

Do they have loads of players in that position? I'm just trying to understand the background. Is he injury prone generally?

We won’t be spending £4m on him this summer. It will be another loan with a buy option in the summer 2025.

I was impressed with him in the games that he played, if we can get him and Sima on another loan (fitness provided) then it would be a good start for us.

I do recognise Sima and Cortes are both injured though so I should probably get a job in the recruitment team
Think Sima is OOC at the end of next season and would be available to sign on a free in January 2025? If that's right I think Brighton will look to get a fee for him this summer.

I think he’s been a huge loss to the team at a time when we’ve lacked attacking intent and creativity. He has that little bit of flair and being able to do the unexpected. I’d really like him to be here next season whether that’s a loan or a permanent transfer.

Really liked the look of him and if it wasn’t for his injury I’d of took him in a heart beat. Just very cautious after being out for that length of time taking him again incase it’s re occurring. Wouldn’t be the first time it’s happened to us.

Last edited:
He's a cracking player and the type we ought to be buying.Having played for his national team at such a young age he is someone that fits our model.

Colombia has the same population as England - imagine the hype (and the price) that would come with signing a 21 y.o. full England international. I know it's not comparing apples with apples but it's not like he has played for Faroe Islands.

I like what I saw and believe that he can play for us for a couple of years and then we move him on for big money. I get the injury concerns but it's not knee ACL. It's a muscle injury that, with the right treatment and rehabilitation, will settle.

I think we should role the dice.

I'd have loved to have seen him and Sima in the same side, compared with what we've had on the wings in the past couple of months.

It isn't the only factor in us most likely blowing our lead in the title race, but losing Cortes and Yilmaz has had a massive impact on our left hand side and has unbalanced the side.

Another player who turns into prime Maradona the longer he's out. I wouldnt be spending a chunk of our limited budget on a player who has played 300 minutes of football and is crocked

As Marlene Dietrich sang - 'Quand est-ce qu'on va appre'

I wouldn’t be doing any permanent deal tbh, would only be doing a loan deal at this stage again.

We surely have to take him on loan again to:
1. See if his injury is not a going concern
2. See if his form can be sustained and it wasn’t a classic “purple patch” that so many recent players have hit then nosedived

He was a breath of fresh air in his short spell and we should be looking at a year loan to monitor how he performs and how his injury comeback is looking then make the decision next summer.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far.

What's in it for the selling team?
I can only assume it saves them paying the wages of a player they're not using (due to their formation).

I thought he looked good when he played, and should get better as he ages.
Another loan with option would be a great position for us to be in. Save capital this summer, but still have a chance of signing a player who can add something to the team.

Need to be careful.

Bad hamstring injuries tend to have recurring issues, and we can’t keep signing players like that.
My take on it too.
We've got to be absolutely bloody-mindedly ruthless here.

A good player, showing plenty of skills and promise.
But a player with such an injury, at Rangers of all places ...

Might be worth another loan certainly, but if he gets injured again then that's an entire player's worth of time and effort and wages down the pan.

And I'm not criticising the player -- rather, it's our own Club's medical staff and genuine curse of ludicrous injuries that we must be mindful of.

He was impressive in the few games he played for us before picking up the injury but we need to have one eye on how he comes back from that injury - the sensible deal would be another loan period and then sign him on if he’s as good as before.

I really liked the look of him and if the fee was reasonable we should definitely look to buy him.
He’s been injured his entire time here.

Will we ever learn our lesson?

Mental to even consider buying him permanently when he’s missed 95% of the games here and he literally played 3 games or something

He looked potentially good in his fleeting appearances but really given the bad inury and unclear recovery it would be madness to sign him now.

He’s not the only LW in the World and Rangers need to be much smarter with transfers now than before.

It’s an unfortunate situation but the club must rethink and find another target.

Back