Rangers open transfer talks with Lens over Oscar Cortes

He looked bright enough in the few games he played but it was hardly enough to judge whether he'd be a good signing.

Also I'd imagine if we sign Cortes, it will end any minute chance of Sima, who I would much prefer.

He looked bright enough in the few games he played but it was hardly enough to judge whether he'd be a good signing.

Also I'd imagine if we sign Cortes, it will end any minute chance of Sima, who I would much prefer.
I don't think it would. I hope we try and get Sima on another season loan too.

A loan with a permanent move pending his recovery.

If he ends up with another couple of hamstring lay-offs before October or November, there’s no point in us pursuing him.

we would be mental not to find a way to get him one of the few positives we have had aggressive, dynamic, fast and attacking everything our team lacks
his injury was more bad luck than anything else i hope we can do something to get him back

Why,what has he done to merit a transfer. Not played enough to convince us he's good enough. But can't be worse than what we've got

I would be delighted if we can keep him, he showed promise and I was gutted he got injured.

The fact he is still in Scotland and was at the awards last week would suggest a deal will be made.

Tying him and Sima down would be our flanks sorted for next season.

Can't see us singing Sima. Brighton signed him for £7 million and with their player trading model there's no chance they will sell him at a loss. We would have to at least pay what they paid which I would rather we didn't. He'll probably be loaned back out to Germany or Spain

Can't see us singing Sima. Brighton signed him for £7 million and with their player trading model there's no chance they will sell him at a loss. We would have to at least pay what they paid which I would rather we didn't. He'll probably be loaned back out to Germany or Spain
Not every player Brighton sign goes for millions mate

Not every player Brighton sign goes for millions mate

I doubt they would be willing to take a loss on him though especially with the promise he's showed this season. If anything they will be wanting to take another look at him, send him out on loan to a better league and if he isn't in their plans sell him for a profit

It makes little sense for them to sell him to us for say £4 million which would be affordable for us. We wouldn't be able to shell out £7 million for him

What has Sima done to achieve a profit on the £7m Bighton paid for him?

Isn't he out of contract next season?

Sima IMO would be available for a deal around £4m or £5m, I think if both parties sit down there will be a dealt be had.

What has Sima done to achieve a profit on the £7m Bighton paid for him?

Isn't he out of contract next season?

Sima IMO would be available for a deal around £4m or £5m, I think if both parties sit down there will be a dealt be had.

Brighton have a club option to extend his deal by a year until 2026.

We're not getting Sima for £5m.

The downside with signing players from this region , as we saw with Morelos, is that we are at these countries' mercy if they want to call up and haul our players all over the world for tinpot friendlies.
As we would be for a player from Africa (See Sima & Dessers, potentially Diamonde) or Arfield at the time for Canada. As much as I loathe to use them as a barometer, it doesn't seem to cause the eastenders any issues when their Japanese or Korean players attend internationals. I think you subconsciously answered your own concern, Morelos was the problem, not the fixtures.

I'd much rather have the good headache of our players being considered for caps, than them sitting scratching their arse here and being overlooked because they aren't good enough.

As we would be for a player from Africa (See Sima & Dessers, potentially Diamonde) or Arfield at the time for Canada. As much as I loathe to use them as a barometer, it doesn't seem to cause the eastenders any issues when their Japanese or Korean players attend internationals. I think you subconsciously answered your own concern, Morelos was the problem, not the fixtures.

I'd much rather have the good headache of our players being considered for caps, than them sitting scratching their arse here and being overlooked because they aren't good enough.

I agree wholeheartedly about the African angle, I was just using Alfie as an example because of the South American nature of the thread.

The thing is with Morelos, there were a couple of times he'd be flown halfway across the globe just to warm the bench. Situations like this are no good to us.

I agree wholeheartedly about the African angle, I was just using Alfie as an example because of the South American nature of the thread.

The thing is with Morelos, there were a couple of times he'd be flown halfway across the globe just to warm the bench. Situations like this are no good to us.
Fully agreed there, however in Morelos' case it was likely that the national team manager wasn't affected by the same blind spot that Gerrard seemed to be. He seen him as a squad option off the bench, if our players are well in contention to start games then I don't have an issue with it. Long term it can only increase their profile and market value.

Fully agreed there, however in Morelos' case it was likely that the national team manager wasn't affected by the same blind spot that Gerrard seemed to be. He seen him as a squad option off the bench, if our players are well in contention to start games then I don't have an issue with it. Long term it can only increase their profile and market value.

You make a fair point.

Maybe it's just me and my loathing of international football. But the thought of losing a player or two mid season for this African guff really does rip my knit 1 and purl 2. And to think we lost a player because of this?

As I said, maybe it's just me.

You make a fair point.

Maybe it's just me and my loathing of international football. But the thought of losing a player or two mid season for this African guff really does rip my knit 1 and purl 2. And to think we lost a player because of this?

As I said, maybe it's just me.
Nah, from a selfish point of view I totally agree. There are obvious benefits to our players playing regular international football, as you say though the worry is missing important fixtures, or even worse - coming back crocked.

Missed a crucial old firm game to sit in the stand. I remember thinking at the time it was a bit of an insult to player and club. But I doubt Morelos cared, he got to put up a few selfies with some of the Colombia stars on Instagram.

Not happy about this at all.

Not another season of Tom on RTV yelling “Oscaaar Cortess” every time he’s within 15 feet of the ball.

Pity ‘cause the guy looked decent on the ball!

Would you sell Sima for £5m if he was our player with two years left on his deal ?

So why would Brighton ?

As it stands he has one year left on his deal and Brighton might not even take that option for another year.

Are Brighton going to keep loaning him out until he is out of contract?

If we make a serious bid for Sima come summer then Im sure Brighton will weigh it up.

And if Sima was our player with a year left and we got offered £5m I would definitely sell. Did you learn nothing from the Kent and Morelos situation?

As it stands he has one year left on his deal and Brighton might not even take that option for another year.

If we make a serious bid for Sima come summer then Im sure Brighton will weigh it up.

And if Sima was our player with a year left and we got offered £5m I would definitely sell. Did you learn nothing from the Kent and Morelos situation?

You're absolutely right mate. Brighton might not trigger the option.

I mean, why would they want to do something as stupid as increasing the players transfer value when they can not bother and allow his value to plummet instead.

If we want to win the league again we need to invest in these kind of players, simple as that.

Sima and Cortes versus Matondo and Wright, its a no brainer and we have to try all avenues to make it happen.
I wholeheartedly agree in the case of Sima, we've seen enough to know he's pretty much a guaranteed hit.

Cortes has played about 250 minutes of football for us. He looked bright enough but it's far to early to be certain. Plenty have had bright starts only to fall away.

And are we really going to sign 2 players that have missed months of the season with injuries?

The club that signed Roofe, Jack and Helander?

They probably didn’t, so cheers for that.
We have a different manager and DoF, the signings of Jack, Roofe and Helander are totally irrelevant now.

Besides, Helander never had a history of injuries before signing for us, that was just bad luck. Roofe however most definitely did.

You're absolutely right mate. Brighton might not trigger the option.

I mean, why would they want to do something as stupid as increasing the players transfer value when they can not bother and allow his value to plummet instead.

Whats to say Sima does his ACL next year and his value does plummet? Sima will only be worth what someone is willing to pay.

As it stands he is out injured and has been for a while collectively, we could put a firm offer on the table and Brighton might cut their losses and accept it.

Lets see how it plays out and revisit this topic and see who, if any one of us is correct.

I wholeheartedly agree in the case of Sima, we've seen enough to know he's pretty much a guaranteed hit.

Cortes has played about 250 minutes of football for us. He looked bright enough but it's far to early to be certain. Plenty have had bright starts only to fall away.

And are we really going to sign 2 players that have missed months of the season with injuries?

This is Rangers, nothing surer! Its our favourite market to shop in.

This sounds a more balanced point yes it would cost them something to extend his contract and it could be a sizeable hike in salary too ??
I’d imagine Brighton will want to sell this summer but I’ve no idea what fee they would sell at . One thing seems sure they have moved beyond this players level so a transfer now would be best for each party .

Agreed on Sima. Dessers causes himself problems as much as the opposition defence tbh.

Well, looking at him and Shankland in the SC Semi last week, one looked slow and cumbersome, winning nothing in the air or on the ground against our central defenders, while the other showed good movement, was quick and athletic and scored the 2 goals that put his team in the SC Final.

Well, looking at him and Shankland in the SC Semi last week, one looked slow and cumbersome, winning nothing in the air or on the ground against our central defenders, while the other showed good movement, was quick and athletic and scored the 2 goals that put his team in the SC Final.
Dessers is a superior player to Shankland, but neither are good enough long term for me.

Back