Rangers Open Transfer Talks With West Ham RB Ben Johnson

Total value of a Transfer has to be considered.

E.g A Transfer fee of £4m and a salary of £20k pw (Just over £1m per year)

Keep for 2 seasons = £6m roughly total cost

Transfer fee = ????? (Anything above £6m is profit.

In comparison:

A player like Johnson:

Transfer fee = 0

Salary = £40k per week

Keep for 2 seasons = £4m roughly total cost

Transfer fee = ??????? (Anything above £4m is profit)

Exactly the type of move we should be targeting as part of our aspiring transfer model. You cannot make lemonade with Turkey's. You need some good quality Lemons.
You’ll not be getting very far if you don’t offer the guy a signing on fee.

Probably 3-4 mil for that kind of wage with 10-20% cut of the next transfer fee too.

We haven't been signing players on a downward trajectory from those leagues in the main though, certainly not in recent years.

Bassey, Sterling, Cantwell, Dowell, Kent, Barker were all a good age with regards potential to improve when we signed them. Goldson was signed from a Premiership club and has undoubtedly been a success, regardless of his recent dip in form.

Lundstram was 27/28, so not terrible in that regard either.

Defoe and McCauley obviously were on a downward trajectory, but very few of us would consider the former to have been a poor signing.

I've not included loans or players like McGregor and Davis who knew the club.

Our hit rate there is probably favourable in the last 5 or 6 seasons.

If it’s not a downward trajectory, then it’s certainly a stalled career - it’s generally the reason they are coming to Scotland. Indeed, it's been the remit for much of our transfer policy extending to purchases from the Bundesliga and Serie A.

Of course there has been notable exceptions such as Goldson and I'm omitting players late in their career.

No one is saying ignore the English League. But it is an expensive market and we repeatedly pay over-the-odds.

It's in the Record so by no means confirmed.
I can't say I know the player or how good he is.
If he's better than Tavernier and we can command a fee for the Captain then it seems like a no brainer.

I’ll give you the others, but Goldson has been an excellent servant.
If you actually read my post, it says he’s currently not giving us what his wages should be giving us.

Never mentioned anything about him being a good servant.

For £35k+ a week, we should be demanding more.

It's in the Record so by no means confirmed.
I can't say I know the player or how good he is.
If he's better than Tavernier and we can command a fee for the Captain then it seems like a no brainer.
It's in the Record because they've bumped it from The Athletic, which is a far more reputable source

No, pretty common in the modern game.

But teams who build their attack solely around them are rarer.

It will do us good to freshen that aspect of our play up with a different player and a new game plan.
There will be a large majority of Rangers fans that will expect, whoever Tav's replacement is, to score and assist into double figures every season. They'll be raging when he doesn't.

If you actually read my post, it says he’s currently not giving us what his wages should be giving us.

Never mentioned anything about him being a good servant.

For £35k+ a week, we should be demanding more.
Are you serious with that figure?

Where did you get that from?

12 months ago, we were linked with Sterling and according to most that meant Tav was away. Hes played every game since.

Think I’ll just wait and see what happens.
Stirling was a reserve team player earning peanuts - Johnson is a first team Premiership player costing £50k p/w. He'd be a starter at Rangers.

(He won't be coming here).

Sounds like a very decent player with good experience but expect is wages to be too great and interest from other EPL clubs who can match his wage request will scupper any move here,

It's in the Record because they've bumped it from The Athletic, which is a far more reputable source
I can't say I've ever seen or read the Athletic. Have only seen it mentioned on here so no idea if their credibility but I would surmise it's of a higher standing than the Record.

Stirling was a reserve team player earning peanuts - Johnson is a first team Premiership player costing £50k p/w. He'd be a starter at Rangers.

(He won't be coming here).
He won’t be coming to us, but my point is that people say the same thing over and over and are proved wrong over and over. It’s easier just to see what happens.

There was this report last month. Figures stack up. Davies has been an appalling signing.

They are basing that on a website called salary sport.

Unfortunately they are way out with our actual wages, they cite our wage bill as £26 million a year when in reality its closer to £40 million.

Speculation of course but I'm sure Goldson, Tav, Roofe, Lundstrum and Butland are on all over 30k+ a week and probably closer to 40k than 30.

We are not going to be paying him more than 50k he's obviously looking for. He we will end up with Palace. We can't compete with established PL teams, CL money or not.
Youre probably right, maybe hell accept less to play in the CL

Not sure I really welcome us looking at players being released by English clubs.

We need to move away from that market..it's lazy and it's not served us particularly well recently.
The article says his contract expires in three months which is completely different from being released.

Because seemingly Rangers Football Club can't do better than a right back we got from League 1 for 150k.
He’s been great player for us and a serious value for money buy which is something we ain’t had too much lately, but what happened in that OF when we had a chance to make a real statement and deal them a major psychological blow wasn’t uncommon, it’s actually common. If he leaves we’ll get another player, we’ll probably become less predictable and goals will come from elsewhere, especially since we’ll still get 15-20 penalties a season and others are capable or scoring them. The fear makes no sense to me, far better players than him have left and we’ve been just fine.

Attacking fullbacks are not one offs.

Ones that produce his numbers are though. He's had a fairly average season this season truth be told and yet he's still sitting on 24 goals and 11 assists.

Aye, a lot of people will point out that a good chunk of his goals come from pens, but regardless a goalscoring fullback is a rarity.

Ben Johnston won't be coming to sit on the bench. Time for Tav and Goldson to depart. Club captain. STERLING FOR ME.

Not sure I really welcome us looking at players being released by English clubs.

We need to move away from that market..it's lazy and it's not served us particularly well recently.
Yeah, we don't want more Basseys, Sterlings, Butlands, Cantwells (was about to end his contract).

Johnson won't come to us, and he's not a guy who didn't make it at West Ham. He could have signed a new contract if he wanted.

A Michael Beale signing in Dowell and Lawrence is one that I feel does no harm to take a punt on but clearly hasn’t worked out.

Even Klopp’s Liverpool grabbed Davies so I can’t really blame us for assessing a cost benefit analysis that indicated he may also have been worth a shot.

The longer list of your Bassey, Goldson, Kent, Aribo, Arfield, Butland, Defoe, resigning Davis, Tav, Sterling, Cantwell clearly shows the merits of the largest and strongest football league system in Europe. I’m not saying they all have to be EPL but there is a shunning of any business south of the border prevailing that is really illogical
They got him. Cheap to sell on though as he was nearing end of contract

Fact he never played for them I think prob days as much

Would be the best player in the league by an absolute mile

Would be pleasantly surprised if we can pull this off, but still expect a decent EPL side to snatch him

Why do people keep saying this? Has Clement ever confirmed that is the long term plan for Sterling?

He’s only made a couple of appearances for us in the midfield role.
I think it's just because everyone can see how good he is there, and everyone realises it's his best position. I've not heard Clement say that though

They got him. Cheap to sell on though as he was nearing end of contract

Fact he never played for them I think prob days as much

Never played for them when they were suffering a central defensive injury crisis as well. A giant turd of a signing!

He played Dowell in midfield before Sterling
I hope Sterling doesn't just get used as a Jack of all trades player and therefore miss out in a sustained run in one position . If he was brought in to be a right back, maybe we play him there as Tav is phased out / sold.

Latest posts

Back