Official Rangers pull the plug on the Sydney friendly

I wasn't here when we announced how we were free of SD and fat mike. But I imagine the people saying how the club has done well here getting out of the contract will have been the same people saying how we did well getting out of the contract with SD. I was one of those people re: SD but now I'm always sceptical.

How much weight would a ruling against the club in an Australian court actually carry, out of interest? Cant see the Sydney tourist board or whoever dreamt up the idea sending the bailiffs half way around the world.

I wonder if we are the only support in the world that discuss the car a commercial director drives. Hopefully a sign of some nice Rangers commercial figures in next years report.

Very good news

I would have preferred if the board had mentioned they had taken the fans feeling into consideration, but you can’t have everything. The most important thing is it’s cancelled and we can move on.

And so it begins .

The Liberal State Government of NSWales are funding this, Rolf Harris Cup. I think if they try suing Rangers it would be a very bad move as National elections are in 3 weeks or so, but let them bring it on ASAP so I know who to vote for.
Perhaps the voting public in NSWales and ratepayers would like to know what type of a club they are funding, by many millions of pounds, the club with the current 40 person approx. CSA Class action against them

Last edited:
The Liberal State Government of NSWales are funding this I think if they try suing Rangers it would be a very bad move as National elections are in 3 weeks or so, but let them bring it on ASAP so I know who to vote for.

From what I read it's the promoters that have made the statement TEG Sport and Left Field Live . The official website is also promoting the game as the Old Firm derby no idea when this site went live .

And so it begins .

No mention of legal action. Just that they will discuss with stake holders.

I’d expect a more detailed statement in the coming days, but that read to me like they knew this was coming.

No mention of legal action. Just that they will discuss with stake holders.

I’d expect a more detailed statement in the coming days, but that read to me like they knew this was coming.
If the Libs as stakeholders were foolish enough to want to take legal action then that would open up a can of worms for the Libs, something that they don't need especially with a growing current class action against a club that they are bankrolling, I'd be surprised if anything except wind and waffle will happen.

The A league's social media announcement on it has been infiltrated by timmy and clueless Aussies that think the A league is better than the SPL. A few bears on trying to give the truth though

The horse has bolted, Rangers will have told them where they messed up, see you later, or in court. Enjoy your holiday’s down under Timmy.
Let’s go over to Oz another time Rangers. Soon hopefully.

Sure the fans in Australia wont be but f*ck them eh.
We should never have been involved in that abomination of a willing association with that club at all anywhere,they have a current class action for CSA against them at 40 people now.
We are contracted by SPFL and SFA rules to play them in Scotland but should never willingly allow our named to be tainted by an association of our own choice with them, they are no friends of ours so whether it was Australia or Timbuktu, it was just so wrong.
I want to see my team in Australia but not with that association,I'm sure Rangers will make this up to us and keep all of our supporters in Australia and New Zealand happy.

We should never have been involved in that abomination of a willing association with that club at all anywhere,they have a current class action for CSA against them at 40 people now.
We are contracted by SPFL and SFA rules to play them in Scotland but should never willingly allow our named to be tainted by an association of our own choice with them, they are no friends of ours so whether it was Australia or Timbuktu, it was just so wrong.
I want to see my team in Australia but not with that association,I'm sure Rangers will make this up to us and keep all of our supporters in Australia and New Zealand happy.

Fair enough.

Sums up my sentiments exactly.

I’ve been to a tourney in Sydney involving Rangers, Blackburn Rovers and AEK a proper tourney with clubs that don’t have the stench of CSA about them.

Rangers do not need that mob never have never will.

The fact that it was cancelled because of some nebulous agreement with the tournament organiser rather than the concerted fan pressure is disgusting.

Get Bisgrove to %^*& and he can take Robertson with him
Or the club have used and built a case for a cancellation without being fined or having to pay cancellation fees.

Damage is done by the club towards the fans, but no doubt in my mind it’s the fans that have made sure the board had no option but candel.

The fact that it was cancelled because of some nebulous agreement with the tournament organiser rather than the concerted fan pressure is disgusting.

Get Bisgrove to %^*& and he can take Robertson with him
Bisgrove is far down the list in the blame game here mate. His role is to generate and maximise revenue streams. But the rest of the board ultimately have to sign-off on his ideas and projects. Commercially this deal seemed pretty good in relative terms. Unfortunately in all other aspects it was an absolute shitshow. Glad it was canned but I wouldn’t be puttting too much focus on Bisgrove for this one. The due diligence wasn’t given enough respect from all viewpoints.

I wasn't here when we announced how we were free of SD and fat mike. But I imagine the people saying how the club has done well here getting out of the contract will have been the same people saying how we did well getting out of the contract with SD. I was one of those people re: SD but now I'm always sceptical.
We did do great getting out the contract with SD.

Very good news

I would have preferred if the board had mentioned they had taken the fans feeling into consideration, but you can’t have everything. The most important thing is it’s cancelled and we can move on.
That would be to admit the board had caved in to fan pressure and they couldn’t have that so instead they’ve given us this face saving excuse.

No matter. Job’s done.

Can we debunk the myth that Bisgrove’s job is solely to grow commercial revenue without any thought?

It has to be done in balance and harmony with supporters (his main revenue stream). It also has to be aligned to a certain set of values held by the club.

I don’t think people understand the role, but he can’t just go grow revenue with little logic or outside a set of a parameters. Otherwise, you’d have him partnering with Gazprom and such likes at present.

The Liberal State Government of NSWales are funding this, Rolf Harris Cup. I think if they try suing Rangers it would be a very bad move as National elections are in 3 weeks or so, but let them bring it on ASAP so I know who to vote for.
Perhaps the voting public in NSWales and ratepayers would like to know what type of a club they are funding, by many millions of pounds, the club with the current 40 person approx. CSA Class action against them
We don't want to associated with a club tarred with a child abuse class action. Let's hear it in court verbatim so the mhedia can report it far and wide including Australian home soil. as I have said in another thread if the Sydney government are so troubled, why don't they invite Clyde or queen's park to play, as they have marketed it as a Glasgow derby so what's the problem with those teams? They are from Glasgow and playing Celtic therefore would be a Glasgow Derby, so they would be fulfilling their marketing branding?

Last edited:
Sure the fans in Australia wont be but f*ck them eh.
No, I wouldn't say f*ck any of our fans. For what it's worth I lived in Jindabyne for a couple of years and have had a small taste what it's like not getting to see the team so I do empathise here.

Not saying we shouldn't he playing world wide, just that this particular attempt was a shambles - surely with the strength of fan reaction here in Glasgow and the boards message around the withdrawal you can agree with that?

Can we debunk the myth that Bisgrove’s job is solely to grow commercial revenue without any thought?

It has to be done in balance and harmony with supporters (his main revenue stream). It also has to be aligned to a certain set of values held by the club.

I don’t think people understand the role, but he can’t just go grow revenue with little logic or outside a set of a parameters. Otherwise, you’d have him partnering with Gazprom and such likes at present.
I don’t disagree but the whole train of thought that this was a one-man show isn’t really the truth either.

Bisgrove got the patsy role given the commercial benefit was pretty-much the only positive for this. Lets not discount the responsibility of others on the board just because he was put in front of the media. The Gazprom example is a poor one. Even before the Ukraine stuff started they wouldn’t touch us, we aren’t big (or Eastern) enough. But we are willing to partner with pretty high-risk crypto currency firms, for example. From my perspective I think Bisgrove has been given too much freedom with a remit purely focused on revenue generation - rightly or wrongly. The responsibility on checks and balances (and that’s with the assumption this shambles was purely Bisgrove’s idea) is on the whole board. They are all accountable for me.

Well said

I don’t disagree but the whole train of thought that this was a one-man show isn’t really the truth either.

Bisgrove got the patsy role given the commercial benefit was pretty-much the only positive for this. Lets not discount the responsibility of others on the board just because he was put in front of the media. The Gazprom example is a poor one. Even before the Ukraine stuff started they wouldn’t touch us, we aren’t big (or Eastern) enough. But we are willing to partner with pretty high-risk crypto currency firms, for example. From my perspective I think Bisgrove has been given too much freedom with a remit purely focused on revenue generation - rightly or wrongly. The responsibility on checks and balances (and that’s with the assumption this shambles was purely Bisgrove’s idea) is on the whole board. They are all accountable for me.

The board won’t sanction all these deals - Robertson and Bisgrove will have a delegation of authority to cover stuff like that.

They’re a laughing stock.

What does it say? And who are Optus out of interest?
Optus are a big telecoms company in Oz and they put their name to the big sports channel (Sky equivalent).

They referred to the tour under the Ange Homecoming phrase and said it had lost its “support act”.

Back