Sands tonight

Gave the ball away too easily too often for me. But besides that, I thought defensively he was excellent. Just needs to slow it down at times
Agree mostly.
Experience will teach him.
One in particular when we gave a corner away,
I said to my group that an experienced player would have got between ball and defender and fall screaming.

We shouldn’t be experimenting with midfielders in defence in big games.

He had several potentially very costly passes.

Leon Balogun was sitting about 5 rows in front of me in the main stand tonight.

He should have been playing alongside Goldson, not Sands.
This place is F'n mental - Balogun was no Barassi.

Both him and Goldson gave the ball away a few times under no pressure, he's not a centre half.
Both were horrendous at times but in fairness Sands was playing well just as he was taken off but it’s understandable why he went off.

Let's not gloss over it because of the result. He was very poor, as was Barisic and Kent in the first half. Our left hand side was diabolical.

The latter 2 improved whereas Sands did not.

He is not a centre half in a million years.
Got to agree with this, he looks a bombscare and like he is likely to make a key mistake at any moment.

If we continue to play him regularly I think we could genuinely have a player on our hands.

He is still young and learning his position but he has ability.

I thought he had a cracking game tonight, but in a few group chats half saying he was great and the other half saying he was poor, so thought I'd ask for opinions on here, no doubt it'll be 50/50 going by what folk have been saying already.
He's a bombscare, personally I hope this experiment with him at LCB is the last time tonight, Goldson wasn't much better at times tonight mind

I thought he was poor and looked shaky throughout.

Goldson would be thrown to the wolves if he had a performance like that but I think people are trying to find ways to justify praising Sands because we all know deep down he's not good enough (as a CB at least).

Goldson was pretty poor tonight before anyone mentions it.

I’m always on his case but I thought he was excellent tonight.

He was sold short 3 or 4 times by under hit passes from his teammates as well.

He was a very reliable defender for us. Sands is not a centre back.
Don’t see why not.
He’s played better there than in midfield for us.
He’s not much more than a spoiler in midfield and there are times when a spoiler is just what we need in midfield.

He was fine competing in the tackle with a few bits of sloppy passing

He’s just a 6/7 out of 10 most weeks kind of player I’m actually not sure why he’s so polarising

I see him as a decent squad player but I am not convinced he is a first pick centre-back. But in his defence tonight he got our goalkeeper off the hook as he did on Saturday too. McLaughlin needs to tighten up when playing the ball out.

Overall I thought he was good. A few sloppy passes but some terrific tackles. He got us out of trouble a few times when others made mistakes. He was better than Goldson tonight for me.

Don’t see why not.
He’s played better there than in midfield for us.
He’s not much more than a spoiler in midfield and there are times when a spoiler is just what we need in midfield.
He makes too many mistakes to be a centre back and gives the ball away far too often.

There is no way we should be playing vital CL qualifiers with James Sands at centre back.

Three times where he had to make a 50/50 tackle for poor passes played to him, tavs he got booked for won another and then the one off Mcglaughlin where he won the ball but was nearly sent off. Some of our passing tonight was poor.

Had a couple of dodgy passes but equally had to take one for the team a few times due to slack passes from team mates. On the whole I thought he did well, thank f*ck the linesman over ruled that shocking decision in the 2nd half as well!

Caught myself going great play Sandy.lad then a couple of minutes later going ffs sands, But overall a decent game.

Sands was part of the team which helped us overcome a 2-0 deficit in Europe for the first time I think. Better defenders than him have failed to do that. I thought he had a decent game, we have to remember that he's still fairly young, especially for a CB.

A couple of very shaky passes out. However McGlaughlin, Goldson, lundstram had similarly poor ones. We need to cut that shit out in general.

I thought sands covered well and defended strongly in general.

There is a player there. Positionally I think he’s very good at spotting danger. He’s becoming aggressive in the right way. Needs to work on his passing and where to put the ball at the right moments. He is progressing since his arrival.

If we continue to play him regularly I think we could genuinely have a player on our hands.

He is still young and learning his position but he has ability.
He has what looks like a permanent rabbit in the headlights look coming from his eyeballs.

He should be nowhere near starting in a Rangers back 4, and if he is to continue as part of the squad then I can make my peace with him coming on in big games late on somewhere in the middle as a spoiler. We have seen him do it effectively before.

He is a fukin bombscare and that is being kind.

They were. Balls indeed, and it turned out he timed it well, but it was a gamble going for it. The wiser decision was to simply hold his man up.
It’s an instant decision no football player is going to think like you want them to otherwise they will be indecisive.

The group chats probably sum it up. He was excellent in a lot of what he done but gave away at least 3 sloppy passes which could have cost us.
That would sum it up for me too. I’m not that comfortable with him at centre half to be honest. Can do great things but then have brain farts.

I guess he kept a clean sheet but neither centre half was particularly good passing out from the back. PSV will probably be more clinical if our CBs keep giving the ball away near our box

No idea what you were watching tbh. Thought Sands and Goldson were doing their best to f*ck it for us at times. A pair of absolute bomb scares.

Back