Sands tonight

Souttar has been rubbish so far. Cant play left side

Found out yesterday that Souttars brother died of Motor Neuron Disease a few days before Livi which explains a lot. How do you even think about football after something like that happens

Found out yesterday that Souttars brother died of Motor Neuron Disease a few days before Livi which explains a lot. How do you even think about football after something like that happens
Was rubbish in the friendly at LCB as well

Those were all down to him being a right footed player playing at LCB.

He is a good player but not a LCB.
I hope I’m wrong and he turns out to be a great player for us but I just didn’t see how last night was a turning point. We were under very little pressure for most of the game.

Much improved from the first leg but still a few mistakes. He has the potential there, just needs some more confidence and needs to work on his decision making under pressure. He will come good eventually. This kind of thing comes after a run of games in the side.

He made some excellent recovery tackles, reads the game so well and his timing for headers is really good as well. Also not scared to put the boot in.

Some sloppy passes but not just him. He bailed 3 of his team mates out.

Pass marks for me.

I’m always on his case but I thought he was excellent tonight.

He was sold short 3 or 4 times by under hit passes from his teammates as well.
This is what I saw last night - I thought he was solid and in the right place to intercept a couple of breaks of the ball from midfield.
Didn’t mess about with clearances either, absolutely battered them up the field, in the direction of Kent, but we’ll cleared.

He looks nervous at points.. he’s going to. A settled leftback to one side of him might help calm things though.

Sands was sold down the river three times by team mates.
Kent (I think) got him the booking,
Tav then played a slow ball to him
Then the worst of the lot, McLaughlin who IMO was useless on the ball almost got him sent off.

We need a new goalkeeper IMO but having 3 on the books we won't be signing one

Eratic at times even when he wasn't under pressure and it could have cost us dearly.
Having said that he wasn't the only one.
Goldsons decision making and passing has taken a nose dive over the past two games.
We need to really tighten up as a team with the passing and concentrate more on what's happening round about us.

He was reasonably good tonight with a few howling passes the exception, but he should not be playing CH for Rangers.

A young lad playing In a high pressure situation, breaking into the team on a regular basis for the first time and not playing in his strongest position.
He made less mistakes than CG tonight. He should not be playing CH for Rangers long term but has done a decent job so far. Wish some would give him a break.

I think his furure lies at cm, he’ll replace Ryan jack imo. I just don’t see him as a centre back.This weekend I think we should play Davies at lcb next to Goldson with a view to playing him Tuesday. Think we just look more balanced when we’ve seen Davies in there.

As actual defending goes, it was pretty faultless, commanding in the air and strong in the tackle. Bailed a number of players out. Had a few misplaced passes but if he can cut that out he's a good one.
This is it for me. I suggest they go back and actually watch him defending.

Folk remember the passes and say he had a shocker but defensively was solid.

Remember Bassey wasn’t perfect either, especially at the start when moved to centre back.

thought sands was bang average against a team that were content to sit in,under little pressure he cant be trusted not to give the ball away ,as someone who was signed as a holding midfielder to not be able to play a simple 3 yard pass is a joke,goldston was slack as well but he has proven himself in europe over the years, we need better than sands he is not good enough he may well improve but against psv we need a proper centre back with goldston as there is to much at stake to play a midfielder at centre back when davis and souter are fit

I thought he had a cracking game tonight, but in a few group chats half saying he was great and the other half saying he was poor, so thought I'd ask for opinions on here, no doubt it'll be 50/50 going by what folk have been saying already.
I thought he was really strong,running,tackling,in the air,never made any major mistakes great tackle that almost got him sent off until the linesman got involved . overall solid.

The group chats probably sum it up. He was excellent in a lot of what he done but gave away at least 3 sloppy passes which could have cost us.

It seemed to spread through the team in maybe two 10 minutes spells in each half. Even Sands had to make up for a couple of short passes from Lundstrum and McLaughlin.

Sands doesn't misplace those 2 or 3 passes and he would have been spoken about as MOTM as the rest of the game he was excellent.

I wouldn't use the word great to describe his performance.

His passing at times was woeful but his last ditch defending was absolutely crucial.

There's a player there but he needs to cut out the daft mistakes.

I think Sands has received specific instruction, following a poor performance in the first leg, to always look to play it forward, as he was constantly playing it back to Goldson in that game. You could see the change in his passing in the Kilmarnock game and again last night.

I thought he had a great game. He wasn't the only one who played an occassional ropey pass, and if we're going to single out anyone for that it should be his more experienced defensive partner, Goldson, who did it repeatedly and with greater frequency towards the end of the game.

I think Sands has received specific instruction, following a poor performance in the first leg, to always look to play it forward, as he was constantly playing it back to Goldson in that game. You could see the change in his passing in the Kilmarnock game and again last night.

I thought he had a great game. He wasn't the only one who played an occassional ropey pass, and if we're going to single out anyone for that it should be his more experienced defensive partner, Goldson, who did it repeatedly and with greater frequency towards the end of the game.
Spot on post. Sands is growing in confidence each game. Hope he gets a run because there is a good player there that just needs to develop.

His range of passing is very good.

Sands, a bit like McLaughlin, will be immune from praise from certain people. It would mean they would have too much egg on their face for previous comments.

some people still think Morelos should be sold ffs

I think I'll need to watch the game back, because I thought he was absolutely dreadful last night.

I thought he kept losing the ball under no pressure, by taking unnecessary risks. These things would cost us goals against a good team.

Reading this thread, I must have missed something. It sounds like he was great.

I really hoped he'd be a good addition for us. I now can't wait to see Davies play.

A good squad player who can fill a number of positions for us and do a job but just doesn't seem to be a player who will excell past anything other than decent and with the rumoured fee we would need to pay I just don't think it would be worth it tbh.

3 Passes which could, and probably should have in at least of the 2 occasions, cost us dearly

If they take just one of those chances, we are talking about Sands as a bombscare and to never play for us at CB again, so as ever when we get away with one, we just shrug it off and say it never cost us he was allright.

I really don't know what his best position is, but it isn't CH, or if it is, then he isn't good enough.

I do think there is a player in him though, probably as a DM, Unfortunately for him he is probably 4th in Line for that role.

I don’t mind Sands but unless he improves a great deal he’s never going to nail a starting place.

The whole defence still looks a little shakey whenever teams come forward just now but hopefully we can improve on that over the next few weeks.

He definitely bailed a few others out after some shocking play in front of him last night, but then he'd throw in a howler in the same move and invite pressure. Was a strange one, but overall I thought he was pretty good and composed apart from said howlers. Actually thought he was better than Goldson last night who was all over the place a number of times.

I said when he went off I thought he was excellent. Couple of shakey moments giving the ball away, but had a couple of incredible last minute challenges.
He did it 3 times but so did most of the team Tav, Goldson, Lundstram, Tillman all did it as well. Never seen so many balls hit straight at the opposition for no obvious reason.

Other than that I thought Sands did well - looks very composed most of the time.

I can't believe some bears think he had a good game.He had a few terrible passes, got pushed off the ball easily and lost out in the air as well.You've got to hope that Davies and Souter are going to be better options

I can't believe some bears think he had a good game.He had a few terrible passes, got pushed off the ball easily and lost out in the air as well.You've got to hope that Davies and Souter are going to be better options

I'm all for people having different opinions and I'm not gonna try and force people to think otherwise but I'm on the same boat - I thought he had an awful game and I'm blown away there are a decent number of people who think he was great.

I think the reception would have been very different if we went out, people tend to massively paper over the cracks if we win, regardless of the performance.

I honestly didn't think we were that good last night and the likes of Sands, Goldson, Kent, Arfield and McLaughlin all had really poor games. Tav's crossing was also murder. But we went through and that's most important.

Sands was sold down the river three times by team mates.
Kent (I think) got him the booking,
Tav then played a slow ball to him
Then the worst of the lot, McLaughlin who IMO was useless on the ball almost got him sent off.

We need a new goalkeeper IMO but having 3 on the books we won't be signing one
He also saved us after a terrible Lundstrum pass

My only issue with Sands in there is in the league he will be targeted aerially, if we have him and Yilmaz on the same side of defence its a major weakness

Back