Sands tonight

The manager who chose Balogun over Sands the entirety of last season?

Gio doesn't want to play Sands. He would rather play Souttar, Helander or Davies but for various reasons he can't.

If Balogun was in our squad tonight he would have started, but hopefully in a few weeks we have 3 more central defenders we can pick from.

So he signed him, trusted him in a European final and started him in both CL qualifiers this season but he doesn’t want to play him?

Nonsense.

Defensively he hardly put a foot wrong but seemed to contract the jitters from those around him when it came to passing the ball safely out of defence, spoiled an otherwise solid display

He’ll get caught out against the bigger teams if he plays like he did tonight but he’ll stroll any domestic game we have if he plays like he does tonight.

Very fine lines with him I think

Both him and goldson were fine when up against the dross we played tonight… they play like that against PSV we will get battered so slack with the passing tonight.. but who cares we are through

3 times he saved us from horrendous passes by Tav, Lundsrum & McLaughlin which put us in trouble.

He had a few poor passes of his own which could have been costly. Think hour whole team needs to tighten up & stop playing slack passes in defensive areas
Good point. Not easy to play as committed as he did when on a yellow card as well. He‘s a young player with a lot to learn, but the potential is clearly there.

Sands will be a cracking player for us if he just cuts out these odd 'moments'.

He's young and he's the type of guy that I doubt is unaware of where he is in his development.

Nothing guaranteed of course but I think he is a good 'un that will serve us well.

The group chats probably sum it up. He was excellent in a lot of what he done but gave away at least 3 sloppy passes which could have cost us.
If he just tidied up the easy stuff he’d be a Ranger, hope he can cause I like him a lot.

I don’t think he was bad but i think the experiment should end after tonight and look to play Souttar or Davies from now on.

I think it’s maybe rustiness from not playing the position a lot on the last year or so but he often has more time than he realised and rushes into playing poor passes under no real pressure.

He is not the only one short of a few passes but overall I thought he was great and that tackle near end was a brilliant tackle well done the linesman who had a word with the Clancy clone?

Some of his passing out from the back tonight was abysmal but he wasn’t alone in that. Was distraught when he was sent off then obviously relieved when the referee changed his mind.

I’m a fan of Sands generally speaking but I’d be disappointed if we don’t see Davies playing there from Saturday onwards.

Played well in stages but some hospital passes that a better quality side punishes and we're on here wanting him sold.

He's a stop-gap currently at CB to be fair and doing OK

I can thought he defended well. Yes, he had a couple of loose passes which could have cost us against better opponents but he was sold short by team mates a couple of times and got them out of bother. Goldson had similar sloppy passes which seem to be glossed over by those looking to find fault in Sands.
If it hadn’t been for those sloppy passes I would have given him man of the match

I thought he had a cracking game tonight, but in a few group chats half saying he was great and the other half saying he was poor, so thought I'd ask for opinions on here, no doubt it'll be 50/50 going by what folk have been saying already.
surely balogan would have been a better option, still don't know why we didn't give him another year

I thought he did OK. Him and Goldson though, don't look so good together. And I don't think having Mclaughlin behind them helps: his distribution with his feet is iffy at best, and couple of occasions he's sold people short with his rushed passes

He bailed out a few of our players last night with some outstanding challenges whilst on a yellow.

He has something about him, no doubt, but I dont think Centre half is his position, I think his position should be where Lundstram players - but hes never knocking him out the team.

He has a decent touch brings the ball down well is pretty composed but then too much? With slack passing. Think he's good in the tackle. Gets rid of they slack passes and I think we have a tidy player in him not outstanding at anything but tidy in all departments. He doesn't shy away either which I like.

I don’t think he was bad but i think the experiment should end after tonight and look to play Souttar or Davies from now on.

I think it’s maybe rustiness from not playing the position a lot on the last year or so but he often has more time than he realised and rushes into playing poor passes under no real pressure.
Souttar has been rubbish so far. Cant play left side

Classic example where because his mistakes didn’t directly cause a goal you can be more forgiving.
Deserves credit for working his way back into the team, clearly showing up well in training

I thought he had a cracking game tonight, but in a few group chats half saying he was great and the other half saying he was poor, so thought I'd ask for opinions on here, no doubt it'll be 50/50 going by what folk have been saying already.
Great game other than distribution

I like him, he's much better than Souttar for one.
He also saved his more experienced team mates %^*& ups numerous times last night alone.
He's got the odd brain fart but those are smoothing out as he goes.

Seems quite reminiscent to Bassey in that aspect, he's improving all the time but making mistakes like Calvin did when quite a few wanted us to cut our losses with him

A really indifferent first half. Got himself into trouble on a couple of occasions not helped by Barisic but had a powerful second half.

He's an aggressive player but needs maturing. That'll come with games. A far better option than Katic imo.

Souttar has been rubbish so far. Cant play left side
I like him, he's much better than Souttar for one.
He's got the odd brain fart but those are smoothing out as he goes.
Seems quite reminiscent to Bassey in that aspect, he's improving all the time but making mistakes like Calvin did when quite a few wanted us to cut our losses with him
Souttar has played one game for us which came on a plastic pitch after losing his brother.

Distribution between the two CB's at times last night was poor. Better sides would have punished some of the mistakes last night.

Thought Sands had an up and down match, some slackness and lack of awareness along with a bit of rashness. Other times he defended well, showed good awareness and won some solid challenges.

I don't think Borna is helping the LCB at all.

He's an average footballer in all honesty. A stopgap at best.

He has a couple of moments, unforced errors, that would have cost us against better sides. I also thought he was rash after his booking with a few tackles and I was seriously concerned he would mistime one and walk.

Souttar has played one game for us which came on a plastic pitch after losing his brother.
He was also poor against West Ham and Spurs.
For the moment anyway, Sands is the better player with a much higher bar.

He'll end up being a bargain at the agreed fee and go for a lot of money, I get Bassey vibes from him, he's got strong character, works hard and is continually improving.

Was a tough night for Sands, he's a young guy so those misplaced passes would still be in his head but he kept playing the way that Gio would have wanted him too.

Other than the mistakes he played very well and showed why Gio likes him in there when we're going to have a lot of possession.

Showed good character.

The group chats probably sum it up. He was excellent in a lot of what he done but gave away at least 3 sloppy passes which could have cost us.
That then dictated the type of passes he was willing to try. There was numerous times there was another better pass but due to his past attempts he never tried them and that’s football sometimes. Overall a good performance I’d say….

Had some real slack passes at the back on at least 3 occasions that would likely have been punished by a better side, so for me he was pretty poor, but got away with it.

However, it reminded me of Bassey who had an absolute howler in one of the Euro matches last season in one of his first matches at CB. After that you thought he’d never be a Rangers central defender in a million years, and just look how he turned out.

In saying all that, I’d be looking to get Davies in asap.

Also made the best tackle of the game to save is conceding from the sloppiest pass of the game imo. His jobs made harder playing beside a perpetual shitebag in barisic.

Done well I thought.

Still think he needs to do more if he’s to become a permanent fixture at Ibrox, let alone the first XI.

Back