Scotsman goes into administration

giphy.gif

When I bought a paper the Scotsman was always one of the better ones.Printed media is now going the way of the dodo as we get our news from sources of our choice.Progress and all that.

Nothing will change! Looks like a Prepack with the titles continuing and probably the same underlying ethos.

Hoots mon revelled in our problems in 2012.
Karma paying that rancid rhat a visit now. Luvley.
Yes time is a great equaliser in fact they soon will be non existent and we are getting stronger, that's what happens when you alienate your client base, the Rhecord is declan ining too.:D

One of the best football writers we have had in Scotland for the past 25 years works for them and never gives us jib.
Stephen Halliday great at his job

Well said Stephen.

LOL
LOL

Their forums are poet riddled, they continue to allow OO scum, DOB's, H*n scum yet use the phrase poet or bheast and you are banned.
Fekk them, fekk them all.
Signing on giro bhastrads.

They have made their bed, so lie in it ya pish stinkin rhank skhum.

ps
I'm normally quite sedate. LOL

pixel.png
pixel.png
pixel.png

pixel.png
pixel.png

pixel.png

Last edited:
When I bought a paper the Scotsman was always one of the better ones.Printed media is now going the way of the dodo as we get our news from sources of our choice.Progress and all that.

I liked the Scotsman but the price went up too much for a daily paper so stopped.
Didn't like the SNP all that much which was welcome and never noticed any bias against Rangers to be honest. Not paranoid like much of our support.

Johnston Press has gone into admin.
New owners will want to keep titles like The Newsletter, Scotsman, Yorkshire Post etc running. Hundreds of local titles will be at risk but many will survive.

Of course you are correct but let’s let them own the bad publicity.

The newspaper game has been left behind by technology, costs are being squeezed at all newspaper publications in the industry.

While for those under Admin, I’d suspect quite a large number of titles will disappear, the Scotsman being one. Picking up an ailing publication as a turnaround may be seen as an unjustifiable outlay by many healthier competitors. No one would miss the Scotsman either. Let it burn.

Worked there 2002-06 and was “rationalised” by JP, who thought running a single but large web team in Peterborough would suit papers from the Fife Free Press to the Scotsman - despite a six man team in Edinburgh winning newspaper site of the year twice just prior to that. Strange company and I hope the Scottish titles survive at least in digital form. DC Thomson can make journalism pay so might be a good new owner.

Your so harsh!but in hindsight correct,never bought the Scotsman always the herald,and can't wait for it and the rhecord to follow!Sent 2/3 emails complaining to the herald, about their reports on us,to no avail,and that was around2003/2004stopped buying it then!
I don’t think it’s even harsh.

If you believe the company you work for is doing something fundamentally wrong. You either do something about it or not. By not doing it, you are part of the problem. Similar to another issue we all know of

Well said Stephen.

LOL
LOL

Their forums are poet riddled, they continue to allow OO scum, DOB's, H*n scum yet use the phrase poet or bheast and you are banned.
Fekk them, fekk them all.
Signing on giro bhastrads.

They have made their bed, so lie in it ya pish stinkin rhank skhum.

ps
I'm normally quite sedate. LOL

pixel.png
pixel.png
pixel.png

pixel.png
pixel.png

pixel.png
Have you ever read any of his books about our wonderful club ?

I liked the Scotsman but the price went up too much for a daily paper so stopped.
Didn't like the SNP all that much which was welcome and never noticed any bias against Rangers to be honest. Not paranoid like much of our support.

Fuxx sake mate...I can only presume you never ever logged onto any of the comment pages on any Rangers story.
There you would have found naked bigotry and hatred towards us...and never ever censored.
Sneaky hate filled rag. Sorry for decent folk who may lose their job but they sat there and did feck all so are as guilty in my book.

Fuxx sake mate...I can only presume you never ever logged onto any of the comment pages on any Rangers story.
There you would have found naked bigotry and hatred towards us...and never ever censored.
Sneaky hate filled rag. Sorry for decent folk who may lose their job but they sat there and did feck all so are as guilty in my book.
I never logged into that so probably missed the bad stuff. I just find open pages like that are full of crap from haters on either side with no censorship at all.
I didn't mind what was in the paper in the main though.

Last edited:
Surely The Herald (and it’s bastard offspring) will follow soon?

Sorry mate I can't share your desire to see the herald go down. I have a good friend who works there.

There is an element in the herald who are scum just like every work place, there are also a lot of good people there.

I was told the management team were surprised just how many staff refused to be involved in anything to do with the national.

The tone of the herald is very much neutral now.

The JP house policy is not to edit any user generated comments. This stems from The Herald having to pay 400 grand damages to Lord Robertson over a comment someone had left on an article, which had been spell checked but otherwise left up (the edit made them legally responsible).

Now - any comment receiving a complaint is supposed to be removed entirely without objection, but given the volume and low staff, it’s not always done. It’s handled in Peterborough to a large extent so don’t imply any bias in that. Clearly some comments might be left up deliberately - never rule out how many rats work in these places - but it’s not endemic. Some comments might even get edited and break the policy but that’s a disciplinary offence so again, not generally likely.

Just FYI.

As an aside to this thread.

A couple of years ago, before I retired, I used to take cars in to the Scotsman for the journalists to road test and do their write up.
The HQ was at the bottom of the Royal Mile just a stones throw from Holyrood and Holyrood Palace. It was a brand spanking new building in a prime location in the nations capital which must have been costing them plenty.
Then we started to deliver them to a pokey wee office on Queensferry Road.
I was chatting to a journalist about the move and he told me some mob called RockStar Games had them move out so that they could get the latest Grand Theft Auto game off the ground and they needed the building.
That shows how far down the pecking order the old institution that is The Scotsman had fallen.

As an aside to this thread.

A couple of years ago, before I retired, I used to take cars in to the Scotsman for the journalists to road test and do their write up.
The HQ was at the bottom of the Royal Mile just a stones throw from Holyrood and Holyrood Palace. It was a brand spanking new building in a prime location in the nations capital which must have been costing them plenty.
Then we started to deliver them to a pokey wee office on Queensferry Road.
I was chatting to a journalist about the move and he told me some mob called RockStar Games had them move out so that they could get the latest Grand Theft Auto game off the ground and they needed the building.
That shows how far down the pecking order the old institution that is The Scotsman had fallen.

The building never belonged to the Scotsman, it was retained by the Barclay Brothers (former owners, who moved onto the Telegraph - for a short while we had Telegraph staff in there too). When JP bought the paper they inherited a crazy £1m-a-year rent and eventually chose to move out to Orchard Brae as you say. Shame, it was a nice place to work - and I'm sure it's a nice place for game developers now... was designed to hold 1300 newspaper staff but now seems to have 5-600 games folk.

Yet another institution they got their hands on bites the dust. Will Scotland EVER learn who the real enemy is?!

Excellent news btw :D

Sorry mate I can't share your desire to see the herald go down. I have a good friend who works there.

There is an element in the herald who are scum just like every work place, there are also a lot of good people there.

I was told the management team were surprised just how many staff refused to be involved in anything to do with the national.

I bough The Glasgow Herald for years back in day ( maybe 30-40 years ago) because their sports reporting was a cut above the rest. Sadly those reporters have either died off, turned into pish-stained alkies or ‘downgraded’ to the point where they have lost all credibility.

Plenty folk complained and they done nothing, it actually got worse year on year, maybe other editors will think twice.
I was one of them.
Never got the courtesy of a reply to a perfectly polite email.
The conclusion is obvious. They either didn't care, they were happy with the content or both.
Fact based journalism is long gone. It's nearly all slanted opinion and PR hand outs.

Is it?oh I may start buying it again!Not!

The printed press is the VHS video it past its time, it’s an outdated medium..everyone knows that surely, does anybody buy a newspaper? If they do they have more money than sense.
Surprisingly large amount of people still seem to want newspapers. My lads got a paper round which I help him with on a Saturday as they are so big then. Always amazed that people want to read them, wouldn't have them if they were free myself. Some houses have two broadsheets every day.

Will admit right off the bat I don't think I've ever read a Scotsman article about Rangers, but they've consistently been probably the most pro-unionist paper politics-wise outside of the Daily Mail. The argument against them seems to be they put the boot in in 2012 (did any papers not?) and they don't moderate their comments (how much do any online papers do that?). I know that whenever you get an SNP-related article the comments are always full of Unionist/pro-UK views. There's certainly plenty more papers I'd rather see fold before them, and you can be sure there's a lot of our club's enemies who are delighted by this news.

I have great sympathy for the printing staff who'll end up on the scrapheap but no sympathy at all for their editorial staff...you lie with dogs, you get fleas!

The Scotsman were pro union, and anti SNP, so i'm personally disapointed with this news. Some Nats outing themeselves in here i think.

Yeah but after coming out of Admin is it the same Scotsman newspaper with all the history, awards and plaudits?

I bough The Glasgow Herald for years back in day ( maybe 30-40 years ago) because their sports reporting was a cut above the rest. Sadly those reporters have either died off, turned into pish-stained alkies or ‘downgraded’ to the point where they have lost all credibility.[/QUOTE

Agree it is a different breed of reporter from 30/40 years ago.

I don't buy papers either anymore but I do have friends who work in the industry and would hate to see them lose out because of twatish journos with an agenda.

Is it?oh I may start buying it again!Not!

No asking u to go and buy it mate. You can stick to your male sauna mags.

I have noticed this too...all their daily anti PUL/Rangers stories are now in their sister paper the evening Tims
same shite...different edition

Agree it is a different breed of reporter from 30/40 years ago.

I don't buy papers either anymore but I do have friends who work in the industry and would hate to see them lose out because of twatish journos with an agenda.

No asking u to go and buy it mate. You can stick to your male sauna mags.
And you can go and %^*& yourself ,what a lady's front bottom

Typical how you low life. Scum manage to infiltrate a rangers site,and pretend to be true Rangers fans?dear oh dear you go and read your wee herald and be happy xx

Well there are guys on here who can vouch for me, not that I need to prove anything to you.

Since you are an elderly guy am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are having an off night and are usually a decent chap.

Back