Scottish referees

Not one Scottish Referee has be selected for the 2024 Euro Champoinship games.
I wonder why that should be, our refereeing standards are so high.
Most are probably just happy to keep on the right side of Celtic and the media, i am not sure i would agree with the view having no refs at the finals makes our refs hopeless.

We hear about this terrible standard every 5 mins i cant think of many times when Warburton, Gerrard, Gio, Beale or even Clement got lucky with their errors or very poor performances.

They aren’t, they really really aren’t

They’re just not decimated by cheats like you’d have believe if you were on here, Kerrydale, Jambos Kickback, AFC chat etc etc

If you watch games between other clubs you will see that refs are pretty good, not wonderful but certainly not bad. I cant imagine there is anything for the tims to moan about these days if there was we would hear from the media and posters on here that follow their forums/phone ins closely would let us know.... unless you want to focus on one decision Beaton made on VAR v Hearts which some might feel was correct.

Lets be honest here a lot of our fans are terrified of any debate about officials or others speaking about bias/fear.... so they just scream they must be shite every day.

Imo, it does, sadly, reflect the poor overall standard of refs in Scotland today. It wasn’t so long ago we had a Scots ref as the 4th official in a FIFA World Cup Final 2002 - Hugh Dallas. Yet the shinners managed to get him booted out as he officiated at Parkheid when we won the League 1999.

Since then, most refs keep the hied doon when up against the beasts from the east. Hence, officiating has declined in standards. Christ, even Boaby had to leave and go doon south. Says it all.

The standard of refs is probably the worst I can ever remember, it's atrocious and VAR has actually made the situation worse.
You've been defending Robertson to the hilt in the other thread. Even going as far to say that it was a 'clear foul' on Johnston. But you think VAR has made the situation worse. A really mental take.

Scottish Refs are in the main pish there are 2 that I would consider cheats and Robertson is one Clancy being the other.

No Scottish Refs again for international competition should have the SFA wanting to improve it. But they don't give a toss.

They had one of the best referees in Hugh Dallas who could have had a role in improving standards, but he wasn't acceptable to a certain team. They got rid of him. Same with Gordon Smith, at the SFA. It appears that you need to be of a certain religious persuasion to get a top job, or an officiating role, in Scotland. Other qualifications are ignored and we all know how, Lawwell's preferred recruitment firm, Nolan Partners, have landed us with some terrible appointments.

You've been defending Robertson to the hilt in the other thread. Even going as far to say that it was a 'clear foul' on Johnston. But you think VAR has made the situation worse. A really mental take.

Scottish Refs are in the main pish there are 2 that I would consider cheats and Robertson is one Clancy being the other.

No Scottish Refs again for international competition should have the SFA wanting to improve it. But they don't give a toss.
Yes because one incident where he called it correctly really gives you a broader idea of how they all perform?

VAR literally has made it worse, they can't call some incidents correctly after multiple viewing.

They are just appalling referees in the main, none of them being selected for major tournaments is proof of this.

Yes because one incident where he called it correctly really gives you a broader idea of how they all perform?

VAR literally has made it worse, they can't call some incidents correctly after multiple viewing.

They are just appalling referees in the main, none of them being selected for major tournaments is proof of this.
I really can't wait until these appalling referees start giving us appalling decisions in old firm games. We must be due at least one!

Doncaster and Maxwell and co doing a sterling jobs. In any other walk of life these things go against you at your work but here it will be rewarded with a job at UEFA which seems to be the case.

They aren’t, they really really aren’t

They’re just not decimated by cheats like you’d have believe if you were on here, Kerrydale, Jambos Kickback, AFC chat etc etc
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

As for wankers like Clancy and Robertson, they are downright cheats.

It's easy to ignore the ramblings of Timmy's persecution complex when they go overboard for weeks on end about the most red card, red card of all red cards (sic) in a game where the worst decision of that particular match was a penalty in their favour which of course is completely whitewashed from their rabid minds.

Scottish refs have never recovered from their bosses at the SFA not supporting them against the horrific campaign of harassment and intimidation by Celtc, both on and off the pitch, which led to an unprecedented ref strike back in 2010. That Celtc were never punished by the SFA was disturbing, and led to refs terrified to make big decisions against them at present in 2024.

I really can't wait until these appalling referees start giving us appalling decisions in old firm games. We must be due at least one!
We laugh at them for that exact statement

Surely we want the right decision… not the “right for us” one

The standard of refs is probably the worst I can ever remember, it's atrocious and VAR has actually made the situation worse.
VAR hasn't made it worse it's the same people interpreting the games. They are Teflon and there is no comeback on them.

Time for referees to explain their decisions and for the audio to be 'live' as it is in rugby.

In addition, the tramps on X are blaming us - did none of them watch Robertson on Saturday?

We laugh at them for that exact statement

Surely we want the right decision… not the “right for us” one
I would absolutely settle for fair and consistent refereeing.

If these referees are as bad as you say, then surely logic would dictate that we'd get a few dodgy decisions in these games? Any recent examples?

If these referees are as bad as you say, then surely logic would dictate that we'd get a few dodgy decisions in these games? Any recent examples?
The refs are terrified to give us anything you see the look of fear on their faces if they have to go to var

VAR hasn't made it worse it's the same people interpreting the games. They are Teflon and there is no comeback on them.

Time for referees to explain their decisions and for the audio to be 'live' as it is in rugby.

In addition, the tramps on X are blaming us - did none of them watch Robertson on Saturday?
It has made it worse, linesmen and refs aren't giving some decisions on the basis they know VAR can bail them out.

We keep reading it's not VAR it's the people operating it, they are one and the same.

The whole thing is a shambles.

we scored a goal in a recent old firm game to make it 2-2 which was as a result of one of the clearest fouls you’ll see in the middle of the park to be fair. Took VAR to correct that

Beaton then got himself into a “boy who cried wolf” mindset with Silva, and VAR corrected that for a penalty too

or do they not count?

we scored a goal in a recent old firm game to make it 2-2 which was as a result of one of the clearest fouls you’ll see in the middle of the park to be fair. Took VAR to correct that

Beaton then got himself into a “boy who cried wolf” mindset with Silva, and VAR corrected that for a penalty too

or do they not count?
How do you know this ?
That's just wild speculation.

or do they not count?
Your examples are a goal that was chopped off and an objectively clear penalty kick?

Interesting.

Now do the Celtic ones.

Yeah it is quite odd loads of posters do it right enough.

The refs are utterly hopeless and cannae do anything right....dreadful awful standard.... until they give crucial decisions against us or to Celtic and then they say its top class refereeing.

No surprise considering the terrible standard of officiating in Scotland.

VAR has also allowed officials to stop officiating in the knowledge that VAR will bail them out (not specific to Scotland in fairness).

How do you know this ?
That's just wild speculation.
It’s reasoned speculation… Silva had gone down hunting softly on several occasions prior… he’d taken a dive on a “tug” 60 seconds earlier…

It’s not unreasonable to suggest that Beaton was never going to buy anything from him that day.

Christ, it was a statement that flew around in here about Silva after the game because many felt it

Difficult to not perceive someone as trying to con you, when you feel all they’ve done all game is try and con you

It’s reasoned speculation… Silva had gone down hunting softly on several occasions prior… he’d taken a dive on a “tug” 60 seconds earlier…

It’s not unreasonable to suggest that Beaton was never going to buy anything from him that day.

Christ, it was a statement that flew around in here about Silva after the game because many felt it

Difficult to not perceive someone as trying to con you, when you feel all they’ve done all game is try and con you
So basically it's just speculation.
How about Beaton appears to have ignored a blatant penalty.
Edit.
You are also stating it as fact btw.
"Beaton then got himself into a “boy who cried wolf” mindset with Silva,"

I actually know the answer to this one - it's because, in UEFA's eyes, they don't consider that they referee regularly enough at a high enough standard of football.
So not much refs can do about that really, the shit refs argument has never really made any sense anyway people just panic about any mention of bias(which is the reason we spend so much time talking about them on here).

I only watch the odd EPL game a week or a few a month not as much as most, but id say our top refs are as good as theirs.

Your examples are a goal that was chopped off and an objectively clear penalty kick?

Interesting.

Now do the Celtic ones.
You wanted bad decisions, it was a bad decision to not give the foul immediately… on both occasions

I hate to break it to you, but outside our games against them and what I see on here… I don’t watch them

I don’t think it’s handball against Iwata at Tynecastle, I don’t think it’s a penalty they get at the start either. I think the foul on Johnston at the weekend is soft, but not unreasonable

The handball in January was a clusterfuck of process, the Roofe goal in September is a raw deal on our behalf

McCauslands penalty at Livingston isn’t a penalty for me, neither was the one on Sima against Dundee at Ibrox. Cifuentes shouldn’t have been sent off in the same game. I don’t think the 2nd penalty they get at Easter road is a penalty, but I do think the first one is - as rare as it is that we see it given (I’ll accept that, will others get given it argument, doesn’t stop it being a foul)

If you aren’t prepared to look objectively, you can probably make each and every decision across a season fit whatever agenda you want it too

Is this the foul on Johnston?
You’ve got to be kidding, if so.
“One the Line” eat your heart out.

or do they not count?
Nobody has denied the foul.
It’s the procedure that’s in question.
Or, more importantly, how the procedures always seem to track back to a point that favours Celtic.

You would like to think that would be a wake up call to the SFA about our officiating standards but no one in the SFA or team in the SPFL has any interest in improving the game in this country.

Nobody has denied the foul.
It’s the procedure that’s in question.
Or, more importantly, how the procedures always seem to track back to a point that favours Celtic.
Well, in this instance, the procedure “favours” Celtic… because they’re the team on the end of the wrong decision

The process “favours” us, when it gives us penalties that have been missed

It’s not a conspiracy

You wanted bad decisions, it was a bad decision to not give the foul immediately… on both occasions

I hate to break it to you, but outside our games against them and what I see on here… I don’t watch them

I don’t think it’s handball against Iwata at Tynecastle, I don’t think it’s a penalty they get at the start either. I think the foul on Johnston at the weekend is soft, but not unreasonable

The handball in January was a clusterfuck of process, the Roofe goal in September is a raw deal on our behalf

McCauslands penalty at Livingston isn’t a penalty for me, neither was the one on Sima against Dundee at Ibrox. Cifuentes shouldn’t have been sent off in the same game. I don’t think the 2nd penalty they get at Easter road is a penalty, but I do think the first one is - as rare as it is that we see it given (I’ll accept that, will others get given it argument, doesn’t stop it being a foul)

If you aren’t prepared to look objectively, you can probably make each and every decision across a season fit whatever agenda you want it too
I'll repeat what I said initially. I'm looking forward to one of these 'appalling' decisions (Roofe, Morelos, Sima, several 2nd yellow card offences not being cautioned etc) going in our favour in an Old Firm game.

When that happens you can get to say I told you so.

Well, in this instance, the procedure “favours” Celtic… because they’re the team on the end of the wrong decision

The process “favours” us, when it gives us penalties that have been missed

It’s not a conspiracy
You're missing the point here.
Roughly speaking, how often do these decisions favour Celtic as opposed to going against them?

Back