Should we be worried about players with one eye on the exit door.

Blue Jay

We're now at the nitty gritty end of the League, after Sunday's capitulation to Ross County, every game in our last six is probably a 'must win' (alongside our hopefully two Scottish Cup Ties). We obviously need every player to get their sleeves up and give 100% if we're to have any chance of success, but in all honesty I am a bit apprehensive of some of the players coming to the end of their contracts. As we all know, Barasic has sorted out his future in Turkey, so if he plays more games is he likely to 'put in' that hard important tackle, or more likely to think twice because he's not going to risk it. John Lundstrum's another, he had a poor start to the season, but improved vastly under PC, but has looked 'off it' the last few games. There's still no definite decision (as far as I know) as to whether he's staying or going, so he's also in the same category as Borna. It's common sense that if his future's still not settled, is he going to 'go into the tackles' as he previously has, or is there going to be a bit more indecisiveness. To have any chance of success, we need our players to fight for the jersey, so should we be looking to give other players (some of the young guys) the opportunity, as we need 'all the team' to be fully committed. Obviously there's other players in this situation, but I was just wondering what others think. I posted on another thread a couple of days ago that at present we don't appear to have the bottle, guile and self-belief to win the six remaining matches, it's not gonnae improve if players have one eye on the 'exit door'.

We're now at the nitty gritty end of the League, after Sunday's capitulation to Ross County, every game in our last six is probably a 'must win' (alongside our hopefully two Scottish Cup Ties). We obviously need every player to get their sleeves up and give 100% if we're to have any chance of success, but in all honesty I am a bit apprehensive of some of the players coming to the end of their contracts. As we all know, Barasic has sorted out his future in Turkey, so if he plays more games is he likely to 'put in' that hard important tackle, or more likely to think twice because he's not going to risk it. John Lundstrum's another, he had a poor start to the season, but improved vastly under PC, but has looked 'off it' the last few games. There's still no definite decision (as far as I know) as to whether he's staying or going, so he's also in the same category as Borna. It's common sense that if his future's still not settled, is he going to 'go into the tackles' as he previously has, or is there going to be a bit more indecisiveness. To have any chance of success, we need our players to fight for the jersey, so should we be looking to give other players (some of the young guys) the opportunity, as we need 'all the team' to be fully committed. Obviously there's other players in this situation, but I was just wondering what others think. I posted on another thread a couple of days ago that at present we don't appear to have the bottle, guile and self-belief to win the six remaining matches, it's not gonnae improve if players have one eye on the 'exit door'.
I don't think I've seen Barisic put in a tackle let alone a hard one in all the years he's been at us.

Where is the risk to a player who has signed a contract with another club, or a player already here with a contract anyway

Its a fair point but i think and hope the Manager will know who is committed to the cause at this stage and pick the team accordingly.

Good post mate.
Personally wouldn't play Barasic again, his time has come and gone.
He is not what we need if we are trying to slug it out over the next 8 matches or so.
We know this from experience.

To be brutally honest, there are several players who should be very worried that Clement has one eye on the exit door...for them to head out of the club given the sub-standard performances lately.
The shirt is too heavy for some of our players, this has been obvious for years.

When you see Borna standing watching the equaliser, Lundstram chucking it at the second and not contesting a bouncing ball in the middle of the park at the third then yeah we should.

Do you think Lundstram is eyeing up the exit door or just reverting to type ?

This is the third manager he's, shall we say, relaxed his efforts with. This is what he does.

D
Dont play them fcuk them we don’t need them there leaving for a reason , which is there pish

Yeah you can see a mile away some of them just don't give a flying fcuk anymore, hopefully never see Barasic in a Rangers shirt again. Not sure Lundstrum has done enough over the season to warrant a new contract. Some of them only care about the pay cheque, just a job to them.

Yes, I think it's obvious some of them are going through the motions.
It's possible that even some of the players who are on longer contracts have been told by the manager to find a new club in the summer.

Barisic has heart of a mouse and agree on Sunday he was posted missing at County goals

Don’t play him again

If Big Phil still wants Lundstram he either signs a new contract now or we rescind the offer

On Sunday he was hopeless tracking runners in the 1st half and non existent in the 2nd half as well

I’ve already said I would withdraw contract offer as if he’s not 100% committed he won’t risk an injury

We have to be ruthless now. No more passengers and we have a few of them

Plenty of players here don't have a future with us. I don't see why we need to try and persevere with them beyond having no other option due to fitness issues.

Barisic should never feature for us again. If Ridvan isn't fit, put Sterling there. Yfeko. Fat Brian from Rutherglen that sits in the Broomloan Rear.

I'm still convinced Lundstram has got himself his new contract with us and that's why the performances have reverted to type.

Well written post, good read.

Its a fair point but i think and hope the Manager will know who is committed to the cause at this stage and pick the team accordingly.
This. He's watching them in training every day. Like to think he'd pick up on anyone who doesn't look up for it. And yes, I'm aware no-one looked up for it in Sunday, but the point stands.

Tbh

This is the problem with how we have managed the squad for years

We should not be letting players get into a position with 18 months left on their contracts if we want to keep them they sign a new deal or they actively get punted.

It's being severe bad Management by not just the football side of things but the board.

It ultimately has resulted in the loss of Gerrard and Gio both while being financially damaging.

The manager may want to keep players and there is some that you can argue for but when bids came in for Alfie/ kent with 2 years the board should take that out of the managers hands.

Either the player signs an extended deal or they are sold is as simple as that the player might not go as is there right but most of the time they will as they get signing on fees etc

By not doing it the squad doesn't change and allows to stagnate every season you should have at least 2/3 / players coming in that are improving the squad and 3/4 that are potential

It's not just Barisic and Lundstram; roofe is OOC at the end of the season and even though he said the other week that he'd like to stay, when he came on on Sunday and we were chasing the game he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than on that pitch

They shouldn’t be playing
Which should always be the case but never has been.

Lundstrum being the difficult one, is he staying or not?

Borna just should not play again, Devine done well when he came in for him but why we don’t have younger players ready to step is infuriating

Have hesitated to start a thread on this very subject since Ross County.

Adding up what I’ve watched for the last month and a bit I think it is unquestionable that certain players know (officially) their time at Rangers is ending and theyve totally checked out.

It doesnt just affect those players when this stuff starts.

This is the third manager he's, shall we say, relaxed his efforts with. This is what he does.
He has re-morphed into the deep lying walking football player we frequently saw under GVB and the Fraud. Maybe this is driven by our reluctance to offer him what he wants to stay.

At several points in the game on Sunday he was actually behind the centre backs. If he cannot or will not be a midfield force as he was for large parts of this season he should be dropped for the run in.

Have hesitated to start a thread on this very subject since Ross County.

Adding up what I’ve watched for the last month and a bit I think it is unquestionable that certain players know (officially) their time at Rangers is ending and theyve totally checked out.

It doesnt just affect those players when this stuff starts.
Second season in a row its been allowed to happen.

Look at the absolute state of Ryan Kent, Glen Kamara and Alfredo Morelos against them at Hampden last year.

My guess would be, and I stress it's a guess, we've made him a contract offer and he's not been impressed with the terms offered. Consciously or unconsciously, he's then taken his foot of the gas and essentially returned to his mean.

It's not just Barisic and Lundstram; roofe is OOC at the end of the season and even though he said the other week that he'd like to stay, when he came on on Sunday and we were chasing the game he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than on that pitch
I'm sure Roofe would love a contract,if my boss gave me a 2 year deal&said I only had to actually work one Saturday in six I'd bite his hand off.

Butland’s form has dropped off a cliff since the England call up fiasco. Odd to see Rangers linked with a goalkeeper last week as well.

I have a nagging feeling that getting back into the England setup is a massive ambition of Butland and I really hope he hasn’t been spun a line by Southgate about playing in Scotland being a barrier to that.

Our problem is we’ve had to buy a lot of players over the last 4 or 5 seasons without the money to get the quality needed. Too many find the pressure of the shirt too much for them. Good when they’re winning but can’t find their gonads when things get tight. Our players of the past must be in despair at the current generation and their lack of commitment to the club snd the shirt.

Barisic has heart of a mouse and agree on Sunday he was posted missing at County goals

Don’t play him again

If Big Phil still wants Lundstram he either signs a new contract now or we rescind the offer

On Sunday he was hopeless tracking runners in the 1st half and non existent in the 2nd half as well

I’ve already said I would withdraw contract offer as if he’s not 100% committed he won’t risk an injury

We have to be ruthless now. No more passengers and we have a few of them
Lundstram simply doesn't have the legs to track runners, and if he plays in the next derby, this will be brutally exposed.

I have gradually moved myself into the camp of not offering him a new deal as he'll be as slow as a week in the jail next season.

Back