Standing at games

Everyone stands in broomloan front,maybe have to move soon due to not being fit to stand for 90 minutes
Now my boy is 5 and il consider starting to take him, i moved from BF to MF because of the standing (and the bogs tbh). He simply wouldn’t see a thing in my old seat.

I had a seat in the South Stand upper, was looking forward to a seat at Hampden for a change but there was a few in front who insisted on standing. There was a wee girl in front of me who must've been about 6 or 7 and was unable to see the game. Luckily there was a section with a few empty seats so I moved there. Away games are much worse, particularly Livi, I reluctantly accept that I'll need to stand but something needs to be done about people standing in the aisles at it's an accident waiting to happen.

Obviously vulnerable people, old people and kids didn't exist back in the day when all the people who now whinge on about standing used to stand in crowds of 100,000 and it was great fun.

It's football, people stand to watch the match and have done for centuries.
I think that's a good point, but we're now looking at around 30 years of the all-seater ruling and people have become accustomed to that. I think the only solution is for grounds to have safe standing areas. However, no matter the rules about remaining seated, the urge to get up out of the seat when there's a possible goal coming is pretty instinctive and there's no chance of stopping that.

I had a seat in the South Stand upper, was looking forward to a seat at Hampden for a change but there was a few in front who insisted on standing. There iwas a wee girl in front of me who must've been about 6 or 7 and was unable to see the game. Luckily there was a section with a few empty seats so I moved there. Away games are much worse, particularly Livi, I reluctantly accept that I'll need to stand but something needs to be done about people standing in the aisles at it's an accident waiting to happen.
I was south upper having almost always been west stand and we got lucky. Left and right of us were people standing but in front of us was clear so we sat. On leather seats noe the less. It was tremendous.

I was south upper having almost always been west stand and we got lucky. Left and right of us were people standing but in front of us was clear so we sat. On leather seats noe the less. It was tremendous.
Same, once I moved it was genuinely the best seat I've ever had there. Pity the rest of the stadium doesn't match up.

This is needing addressed. There is small kids and older people who simply cannot stand and see for 90 minutes. Dundee on Wednesday was a disgrace. Folk blocking aisles in their hundreds instead of sitting where they are supposed to. Hampden yesterday and even in the hospitality folk are standing. It’s a joke.

You'll get pelters from the usual crowd but you are absolutely correct. Some folk just couldn't give a toss for anyone around them.

Don’t really understand why the comment makes me a sad bastard, most able bodied folk can stand for 90 minutes if you can’t you should look into alternative ways of seeing the game.

I’m sure the players would be thrilled at a tough away fixture stand full of sitting pensioners and kids.

It’s maybe just not for you anymore/yet.

Chill out ffs.
Most folk prefer to sit,its you who should find an alternatve way to see the game.

I was in the North stand on Sunday and had to stand for the whole game. Last time for me at Hampden unless I can get a South Stand ticket.
I was South Stand Lower and we were all standing. Out of courtesy I always sit if anyone in the few seats behind me is seated. It's just about having some common decency for our fellow supporters. I think it's also fair to say that the atmosphere is always better when standing at Ibrox but that's possibly because we only stand when it's Europe or Celtic in the SJF.

Not nice if your view blocked by folk standing and you can't.
That said, me personally, I pick the West Stand at Hampden as I don't mind standing and enjoy the atmosphere over the better seat view from elsewhere and if I wasn't able to stand I wouldn't go to league away games.
At Ibrox, near the back of Govan Rear and if folk are standing behind me for Euro nights and against them, then great, standing too. If not, then not!

I'm in the opposite position: due to a long-term knee issue I can't sit for too long in the cramped little seats but can stand comfortably.

The only solution is to have designated sitting sections where standing is outlawed and the stewards enforce it properly.

One of the reasons I’m giving my season ticket up. I’m Main Stand rear where no one really stands however the 2 boys in front off my just stand. The older guys behind me then can’t see (& also wouldn’t be able to for 90 minutes) so they tell them to sit down. An argument then ensues at every game. Eventually the boys do tend to sit down however they moan for the rest of the game about everyone & how hard done by they are. It just makes being there a bit miserable.
I've never seen anyone stand for any length of time at Ibrox and I sit in the Main Stand Rear. Seems a bit of a bizarre reason to give up a season ticket.

Don’t really understand why the comment makes me a sad bastard, most able bodied folk can stand for 90 minutes if you can’t you should look into alternative ways of seeing the game.

I’m sure the players would be thrilled at a tough away fixture stand full of sitting pensioners and kids.

It’s maybe just not for you anymore/yet.

Chill out ffs.
Your attitude towards people who have been following Rangers for decades is shameful.

When I was a kid my dad took me to various stadiums. This was before all seated stadium. We’d stand down the front or behind exits built into the stand. This meant that nobody was in front of us. Sometimes he’d just sit me on a railing. I loved it. Standing was great fun as a kid.

What did older folk do before Ibrox was rebuilt?

if anyone thinks it’s going to change, it’s not. A steward on minimum wage isn’t going to the hassle of ensuring that every person is sat down in their allocated seat.

At the end of the day, it’s the football, not the theatre.
Stewarding at football is a joke. They do nothing other than direct you to your seat. Might as well not be there

When I was a kid my dad took me to various stadiums. This was before all seated stadium. We’d stand down the front or behind exits built into the stand. This meant that nobody was in front of us. Sometimes he’d just sit me on a railing. I loved it. Standing was great fun as a kid.

What did older folk do before Ibrox was rebuilt?
They went to the stand

There was a choice

I’ve sat in the North stand, South Lower and South Upper at Hampden and only ever sat down at half time. Come to think of it, the only place where I do sit is at Ibrox, never at away games. Not saying it’s right or otherwise, but that’s the reality.

Away games nothing you can do. For Hampden with the new ticketing website next season we will be able to view the stadium map and pick a seat so no reason they can't label areas of south upper as seating sections.
Everyone who wants to sit can’t fit into the South Stand.

What a load of absolute shite!!!! Some of the people in this place would want everyone sat on their hands in silence. The majority of people want to stand at games, home and away. Some of the mines thrown at the UB is honestly tragic. Can’t wait for the meltdowns in the CF next season from the “SIT DOON” brigade.
What did people do before seats were installed? Crowds of 100,000 all standing.

I was born in mid 80s so only known all seated stadiums. I prefer to stand and most of GF1 stands for every game. All of GF1 stands for every big game. Years ago it used to be mixed and there was a lot of arguments. Not sure when it became accepted. Had my ST for over 20 years and much prefer it now

I had fucking Hen Broon in front of me yesterday.

Could hardly see a thing from behind him

This mate. I had the wee man with me and luckily a very kind lassie behind took him to the row behind to stand on a seat. Me i just dodged between heads lol. I hate it but i know it is what it is. Do i understand it no maybe am just old at 40 lol. Nothing worse than a giant infront of you

This is needing addressed. There is small kids and older people who simply cannot stand and see for 90 minutes. Dundee on Wednesday was a disgrace. Folk blocking aisles in their hundreds instead of sitting where they are supposed to. Hampden yesterday and even in the hospitality folk are standing. It’s a joke.
Totally agree. The standing is a joke.

I honestly would avoid any of the fronts at Ibrox for European games.

Even stand in parts of the club deck for Euro games.

I remember when standing first became a thing at the new hampden years ago. Played against Celtic and I stood because all in front of me where standing. Boy behind me is going nuts at me I simply told him if the rest sit on their arse I’d do the same until then I need to stand to see the game. Me and my girls season tickets are govan rear and the amount of times the boy behind us goes mental at people in front of us standing up is comical tbh.

Purely from a selfish point of view I much prefer it.
I understand that but some folk are unable to stand for 90 mins plus it makes it difficult for children to see much of the game.
The standing issue is going to be a bit like the scum allocation just opposite views.
I am fortunate that most of the GF remain seated after kick off.

Standing only areas will help hopefully .

Obviously vulnerable people, old people and kids didn't exist back in the day when all the people who now whinge on about standing used to stand in crowds of 100,000 and it was great fun.

It's football, people stand to watch the match and have done for centuries.
Think this is a fair point. Grew up standing at every game, because that's just the way it was. Didn't bother me then and doesn't bother me now. Stood for 90 mins at Hampden on Sunday and at Ibrox for the OF a couple of weeks ago. Can sympathise with those who can't obviously. Less sympathy for those who are just too lazy. If you have half the crowd wanting to stand, the other half either need also to stand, or can't see, or get involved in an argument. So surely easier just to stand if you can?

To put it simply so the moronic can understand - everyone can sit, not everyone can stand.
If you choose to stand without regard for anyone behind you who then you are a selfish prick.
That's probably still too complicated for some on here.

It's all part of the me me me squad who seem to be growing all the time in society. At football, driving, queues, everywhere.

If only I ruled the world these kents would quickly change their ways.

Said on here before that sitting at games is something I am going to have to get used to again next season in the new seats. Been standing at every game home and away for many years now, so it's gonna be a bit of a culture shock.
Me too mate.

What a load of absolute shite!!!! Some of the people in this place would want everyone sat on their hands in silence. The majority of people want to stand at games, home and away. Some of the mines thrown at the UB is honestly tragic. Can’t wait for the meltdowns in the CF next season from the “SIT DOON” brigade.
I agree with your first point and disagree with your second. I don't think there's a majority that want to stand for every game. As for your third point it seems a bit strange that you "can't wait" for arguments between Rangers fans. It's going to take some getting used to having a singing section next to us, but as long as they keep the flags down like they've agreed to then the only time people's sight should be impacted is when the ball is in the opposite corner of the pitch.

Standing at Hampden isn't going to disappear it's here to stay, from my vantage point every Hampden game in the West stand the only 'seated' areas are section of South Lower and Upper and even some of those stands are on their feet.

It's the norm and won't change anytime soon when we are involved national semi finals or finals.

Back