Teams who hold an advantage of over 50% of the remaining points left to play for will be crowned champions

thechoice is simple. Either champions are crowned or the season is made void.

if they are crowned why are we worried. They really would have the most tainted collection of titles in the history of football.

Outside of their wee world no-one would take them seriously.

If the season is voided then we lose the progress we have made in Europe. Not sure we want that.

there is no easy answer but for sure no football will be played until August at the earliest.

No one outside of their wee world would care or see any difference and the history books would still say Champions 9 in a row.

Its simple. If a competition is abandoned before its completed, and its not been won yet, there is no winner.
Baseball had a players strike in August 1994 which meant the season couldn't be completed.

Hence there is no WS Champion that year.

The Montreal Expos were the best team in Baseball that season and were having the best season in their history. They never came that close again.

I see legal challenges whatever decision people come to over this but you can't award titles to teams that would PROBABLY win.

Seen on twitter some Lebanese based Journo saying UEFA are set to crown all teams who hold an advantage of over 50% of the remaining points to their nearest rivals as champions.

C*ltic = 13 points ahead with 27 still to play for. 48.15% of remaining points. Nae luck Timmy.

Seen this getting shared through what’s app groups , Tim’s are spewing :)

That's the way I read it.
City are 25 behind, 10 games to play so 30 points.
So much more than 50% in front.
Me too.
thechoice is simple. Either champions are crowned or the season is made void.

if they are crowned why are we worried. They really would have the most tainted collection of titles in the history of football.

Outside of their wee world no-one would take them seriously.

If the season is voided then we lose the progress we have made in Europe. Not sure we want that.

there is no easy answer but for sure no football will be played until August at the earliest.
Why would we lose the progress we have made in Europe? Surely we get to keep the coefficient points we’ve built up this season, or have I misunderstood your point?

Seen on twitter some Lebanese based Journo saying UEFA are set to crown all teams who hold an advantage of over 50% of the remaining points to their nearest rivals as champions.

C*ltic = 13 points ahead with 27 still to play for. 48.15% of remaining points. Nae luck Timmy.

Game in hand which we should be winning and still 2 head to heads.

Not Palestinian?

If this happens i will absolutely piss myself laughing. Got a feeling uefa could pass the buck to the leagues to decide or you think that will cause too much trouble?

Someone told me that Neil Doncaster was rarely off the phone to the Scottish Government last week and that he was absolutely adamant that the Old Firm game should be played (how incredibly tone deaf does that seem today?). However I doubt Doncaster would have any foresight or vision of any 50% type ruling, or indeed any foresight of vision of anything at all. He will be doing the bidding of Celtic however, there is no doubt about that.

Neil Doncaster needs to be gone.

If Stewart Regan Bergson can’t do it, get somebody in who can.

MacLennan too.

UEFA can advise of this but cannot force that rule on individual associations. I don't believe.

There are really only 2 fair ways to end this campaign. Declare it null and void, or you take it back to the two games per team we play our game in hand behind closed doors and that's it.

UEFA can advise of this but cannot force that rule on individual associations. I don't believe.

There are really only 2 fair ways to end this campaign. Declare it null and void, or you take it back to the two games per team we play our game in hand behind closed doors and that's it.
If the SFA want to avoid being sued they are probably best sticking with whatever approach is recommenced by UEFA

BBC news reporting that over 70s being asked to self isolate is just a few weeks away .

I can’t see this coronavirus pandemic settling down anytime soon , certainly not soon enough to see the league season restarted and then finished before May .

I think this season will be voided by UEFA . It’s the only fair and consistent approach

If the SFA want to avoid being sued they are probably best sticking with whatever approach is recommenced by UEFA

I don't think that approach will avoid anyone being sued, unless there is something in the contracts that state if UEFA can declare all competitions null and void, allowing the leagues retain any sponsership and TV revenue. Otherwise, Sky, Ladbrokes, us as season ticket holders will be looking for refunds.

There's other things to consider here is the moral I act on any decisions made.

There are to many unknowns to all this if even the season will be able to start again in time.

Certain people will be pushing for titles to be awarded from different countries to uefa leaders etc but the world's view is that they will be focusing on things that are unimportant.

Ultimately uefa is not going to have to make a decision about this season but the future of the game longer term.

Leagues null and voided with extra payments to counties from uefa funds as well as moving into next year how they deal with Europe everyone still in auto in group stages and extended qualifiers and groups for a season or two to help rebuild the football infrastructure.

I also suspect transfers this summer will be minimal and they could put restrictions on that.

I posted in another thread if the mortality rate is between 1-3% and 80 % of the country is going to get them you are potentially taking 500k to 2.5 Mill in the UK could lose their lives in the next year not just worry the initial outbreak but the strain this puts on people's immune systems for infection afterwards this is not going away anytime soon

It makes sense to apply the same rule across European football rather than let individual associations decide, but the rule doesn’t help with relegation - what if top spot in next league is to be promoted using this rule, but relegation is too tight to call? Or would this only apply to top flight? Doesn’t seem workable...

There’s no way the players union will allow players to continue with games , even behind closed doors

That would be an absolute minefield. It has to be a uniform response throughout Europe.

I agree. How could you look at the CL with any legitimacy when some teams didn't earn their spot and others did?

To maintain the integrity of their own flagship competitions, UEFA will have to be consistent across the board. Anything else is an abdication of responsibility.

I can’t see that happening .
So only some clubs will be champions , what about the teams that don’t meet that criteria ? What about the unfinished cup competitions ? Champions league and europa league ? Relegation ? Co efficient points ?

for me there are far too many variables . The easiest course of action , to ensure fairness and consistency across the leagues , would be to void this season .
It certainly makes sense - there are far too many situations across the divisions which could lead to legal action if there was any cherry picking of the issues to be dealt with. It’s not just a bout us and them, it’s much bigger than that. If the result of voiding the season means that they don’t win the title, it’s a wee bonus.

I think it’s fairly simple. Each club has a vote on whether Celtic should be awarded the title and hearts relegated in the event of a null and void league.

The other unique factor regarding our backwater league which will need to be factored is that we have to play them twice, giving us a genuine opportunity to reduce the deficit to 4 points. If the SPFL bend over for Celtic again, Rangers have to take legal action, there’s no way they can award a title in these circumstances.

If this happens i will absolutely piss myself laughing. Got a feeling uefa could pass the buck to the leagues to decide or you think that will cause too much trouble?

I would think UEFA would want to implement a rule like this or make a ‘like it or lump it’ blanket decision across the board

I can’t see that happening .
So only some clubs will be champions , what about the teams that don’t meet that criteria ? What about the unfinished cup competitions ? Champions league and europa league ? Relegation ? Co efficient points ?

for me there are far too many variables . The easiest course of action , to ensure fairness and consistency across the leagues , would be to void this season .
This!

no chance of this but then again there is no chance barcelona are picking up a title over madrid etc. So null and void, the sporting integrity route must apply.

Good point. How would they take that into account.
Already answered in post #14.

Simple arithmetic. Celtic are 13 points ahead. Rangers can win 27 points. That accounts for the game in hand. So Celtic are on 48.15% of remaining points, as the OP correctly states. Less than 50%.

That would be an absolute minefield. It has to be a uniform response throughout Europe.

I severely doubt it will be, especially as the leagues themselves are varying in size and rules.

Because we all take football far too seriously, it's going to be a minefield no matter what approach is decided upon.

Back