The final - Attack on Wembley on netflix

I was at the final, part of the problem getting in was once past a check point you had to find a steward again to verify your ticket on the app, before proceeding to turnstyle. Couldn’t find one for a good half hour once through and by then queue’s had backed right up.

Eventually got in but was mad the crowds who got through without any tickets. Never knew the full extent of it until later that night.

Just watched it. Absolute insanity that they never planned for the police to be at Wembley until 3pm that day.
It was bad enough at the semi final, I was in the stadium that day and there were people passed out steaming on the floor at 3pm before I went in.

I didn't go anywhere near the stadium on the day of the final, but my colleague had to as he was working on the event for the England squad and friends and family at the hotel next door. He said he got to Wembley Park tube at 2pm and it took him over 35 minutes to get from the stadium to the Hilton, which is a 10 minute walk at most. It was absolutely mobbed.

I always feel a little uneasy blaming organisers for this type of thing. If people wouldn't behave like idiots then there aren't actually many problems.

Quite often people go looking for someone to pin the blame to rather than just blaming morons who can't conduct themselves properly.
Arseholes are the biggest worry for organisers of events and you always allow for the possibility of a few people behaving badly.

I think the sheer number just took the authorities by surprise and it would have been a shock how quickly things escalated out of control.

I was at the final, part of the problem getting in was once past a check point you had to find a steward again to verify your ticket on the app, before proceeding to turnstyle. Couldn’t find one for a good half hour once through and by then queue’s had backed right up.

Eventually got in but was mad the crowds who got through without any tickets. Never knew the full extent of it until later that night.

I only arrived to Wembley at about 19:15, which was daft looking back. Was hell getting in, I had a ticket that wouldn't scan - in the end I wriggled through the gates somehow. Coppers were absolutely lost. I would have been really mad about it all if with a kid or say older bloke/my Dad.

Same here. We saw it all kicking off from the BBC News feed so went to the ground early after spending most of the day in West Hampsted. We were in Club Wembley for the final and thank goodness we got there early and one of the first ones to get in after the gates opened - it was that same entrance that was stormed an hour later.

When we were waiting to get in, one observation was that none of the stewards supervising the metal lanes and searches looked a day over 20. After getting in at that point, we had our tickets activated to get in. A lot of the stewards with the Bluetooth activation sticks obviously got called to assist at the gates. What chance did the stewards there really have to stop it kicking off?

In a strange way, I'm looking forward to watching this. I don't think we appreciated how bad things were until the report came out a few months ago on it as we were already in the stadium.

Lesson learned for me on a major final. Get in early and don't mess about. It was a shame we got scunnered with this in Seville with the blazing sun and no water available. There is only so much fans can do to safeguard against this kind of thing. The organisers (UEFA) really need ot hold up their end of the deal and look after us with the basic amenities. That's what makes me angry about both finals. As a fan, I feel let down and the negligence could have put us in real danger on both occasions. You could argue that walking down Wembley Way for the former was a danger already

Same here. We saw it all kicking off from the BBC News feed so went to the ground early after spending most of the day in West Hampsted. We were in Club Wembley for the final and thank goodness we got there early and one of the first ones to get in after the gates opened - it was that same entrance that was stormed an hour later.

When we were waiting to get in, one observation was that none of the stewards supervising the metal lanes and searches looked a day over 20. After getting in at that point, we had our tickets activated to get in. A lot of the stewards with the Bluetooth activation sticks obviously got called to assist at the gates. What chance did the stewards there really have to stop it kicking off?

In a strange way, I'm looking forward to watching this. I don't think we appreciated how bad things were until the report came out a few months ago on it as we were already in the stadium.

Lesson learned for me on a major final. Get in early and don't mess about. It was a shame we got scunnered with this in Seville with the blazing sun and no water available. There is only so much fans can do to safeguard against this kind of thing. The organisers (UEFA) really need ot hold up their end of the deal and look after us with the basic amenities. That's what makes me angry about both finals. As a fan, I feel let down and the negligence could have put us in real danger on both occasions. You could argue that walking down Wembley Way for the former was a danger already
We ended up drinking in the Novotel at the start of Wembley Way, they were only letting guests of the hotel in to the bar, but we had room keys from another Novotel in the city and just showed them when walking in. Stayed in there until around an hour before kick off.

We were lucky to get into the stadium with tickets in the end up looking back now, as I think a load got knocked back too. Just badly organised and far too many trying to jib in.

I was in Belfast so hadn't been following the events of the day and we only really paid attention to the telly just before kick off so somehow missed most of what had went on. Really looking forward to watching this.

The guy up the lamppost bollock naked must have been in his 50s. Bizarre behaviour to get your cock out surrounded by thousands of other men. Was blurred out but it didn’t look like he was showing off either :))

Fair play to him. I wouldn't have got up there without a ladder.
Seeing the footage I don't think it's too much of an exaggeration to say that they were lucky that no-one was killed.
I'd also forgotten how bad Rashfords penalty was.

Just finished it, quite good.
All the footage of the fans is something else.

I got there about 20 minutes before kick off, no queuing, an Easy ticket check, you wouldn't know anything had gone off. Extremely easy entry into wembley.

We ended up drinking in the Novotel at the start of Wembley Way, they were only letting guests of the hotel in to the bar, but we had room keys from another Novotel in the city and just showed them when walking in. Stayed in there until around an hour before kick off.

We were lucky to get into the stadium with tickets in the end up looking back now, as I think a load got knocked back too. Just badly organised and far too many trying to jib in.
That was a good plan to get into the Novotel out of the way. Glad you got in too. I heard they simply locked the doors because it was full. Know a few folk who were turned away with valid tickets.

If that was me, I would have been devastated beyond words to miss out on the game due to that. Can’t imagine what those with genuine tickets who were locked out felt like. There was uproar on the England Travel Club forum as a few of those locked out hadn’t missed a game in 30 years.

I watched it this afternoon. I knew there were issues on the night but hadn’t realised the scale of the problems. Did they actually follow through with the threats to track down and prosecute those that forced their way in?

That was a good plan to get into the Novotel out of the way. Glad you got in too. I heard they simply locked the doors because it was full. Know a few folk who were turned away with valid tickets.

If that was me, I would have been devastated beyond words to miss out on the game due to that. Can’t imagine what those with genuine tickets who were locked out felt like. There was uproar on the England Travel Club forum as a few of those locked out hadn’t missed a game in 30 years.
After the game was a bit of a shambles too, walking back down to Wembley Park station was a staggered entry to the station, kept stopping everyone every 100 yards or so until area cleared and then let so many go again. Don’t know if this is usual protocol for big games at Wembley as every time I’ve been before (apart from the final) we have always went to the Hilton for a drink to let crowds die down before going to station, so have never seen it like that.

I think we got on one of the last trains back toward central London, we were heading back towards London Bridge, I’m certain people would have missed the last train back.

It was bad enough at the semi final, I was in the stadium that day and there were people passed out steaming on the floor at 3pm before I went in.

I didn't go anywhere near the stadium on the day of the final, but my colleague had to as he was working on the event for the England squad and friends and family at the hotel next door. He said he got to Wembley Park tube at 2pm and it took him over 35 minutes to get from the stadium to the Hilton, which is a 10 minute walk at most. It was absolutely mobbed.

I was at the other semi final and there was none of that… got in without a problem. Too easily to the point where we had too much time to kill in the stadium

After the game was a bit of a shambles too, walking back down to Wembley Park station was a staggered entry to the station, kept stopping everyone every 100 yards or so until area cleared and then let so many go again. Don’t know if this is usual protocol for big games at Wembley as every time I’ve been before (apart from the final) we have always went to the Hilton for a drink to let crowds die down before going to station, so have never seen it like that.

I think we got on one of the last trains back toward central London, we were heading back towards London Bridge, I’m certain people would have missed the last train back.
Yes that is the process at every game, usually works very well and the queue is cleared by about an hour after full time.

Just proves that a certain demographic of English fans/persons are absolute cock sockets.
Would love to see the figures for arrests all around England for that day.

I remember World Cup in 98 watching an England game in a bar in Worthing.

England won, we all celebrated, fans piled into the street, traffic stopped, over zealous fans then started fighting and the police arrived and it all kicked off.
We’d left the area when the shit started.

And not 1 foreign fan in site. Pissed up, coked up English idiots.

I watched it this afternoon. I knew there were issues on the night but hadn’t realised the scale of the problems. Did they actually follow through with the threats to track down and prosecute those that forced their way in?

Yeah I watched it this evening and like yourself I wasnt aware of what exactly had happened.

Was a receipt for disaster I guess: young excited crowd all hyped up. Hours of drinking and drug taking. A general feeling of lawlessness due to safety in numbers. Plus after lockdown there would have been a pent up desire to let off steam.

It reminded me of another Netflix doc about Woodstock 1999. Similar situation in many ways.

Watched it earlier was a good watch. During the penalties when it goes to the crowd i swear Michael Beales face just shows on the screen

Just proves that a certain demographic of English fans/persons are absolute cock sockets.
Would love to see the figures for arrests all around England for that day.

I remember World Cup in 98 watching an England game in a bar in Worthing.

England won, we all celebrated, fans piled into the street, traffic stopped, over zealous fans then started fighting and the police arrived and it all kicked off.
We’d left the area when the shit started.

And not 1 foreign fan in site. Pissed up, coked up English idiots.
I remember working in a pub in West London back in the 2010 World Cup. England had drawn against USA and Algeria and had to beat Slovenia to qualify out of the group stage.

There was a horrible volatile atmosphere in the pub even before the game, and even though England won a number of fights broke out and we had to shut the pub for the night straight after the game ended which was only about 5pm.

Anybody else laugh at the guy that was brought up in the Catholic household? First football memory was praying at the bottom of the stairs that England would beat Argentina.

If only he knew he would be wearing the no.10 blue and white striped shirt :))

Not watched it yet, seen a post above where a guy said it was because of COVID lockdowns.

This type of thing would be expected anytime England reached a home final imo. If I remember the weather was cracking at the time, and the public drinking and drug taking was bordering on obscene!

Just watched it. Can't believe the complete disregard to peoples safety for to see a final.

Throwing glass bottles and traffic cones up in the air in amongst a packed crowd is not only disgraceful but sheer stupidity.

Then seeing people crush and trample over other people to breach turnstiles and ticket search barriers, it's remarkable no one died.

They were perhaps lucky there were 23000 seats unsold on capacity due to covid. If it was full capacity it could've potentially been another Hillsborough.

The whole tournament was encouraged to be an alcohol loving nightmare, I remember that comedian Rob Beckett getting the 'isnt he funny and cuddly lying comitosed wearing a bucket hat and a Italia 90 DHGate top, ignoring his wife and young family all in the the name of Engerland and the sesh'

Spot on with this. I can't speak for Wembley but, those of us who travelled to several away games before and after Seville, most would agree the final itself was the worst experience, from a fan point of view in terms of getting in, lack of basic amenities, policing and the stadium itself. UEFA don't give a shit though.

Watched this at work tonight.

The carnage if England had won would have been unreal. The mob outside would have forced there way in.

Some interesting clips of "normal" fans inside the stadium throwing punches and trying to stop folk getting in. Shouting at stewards to "do your f*cking job".

These folk dont get paid enough to be rolling about with folk charging in numbers like that.

I don't understand the crowd that stood about outside after the game started. All that build up just to stand outside the ground and miss the match. I dont understand the cheek either of breaking into a game without paying while thousands of others have forked money for a ticket. Dont imagine tickets for that game would have been cheap.

Seems like just after the pandemic football authorities forgot what was involved in holding a big final, with what happened in Paris with the champions league aswell.

I can't be the only one seeing the hypocrisy of this?

The blame is on the morons and yobs for being unable to behave. That said, fifa and uefa seem to hate football fans. Seville was horrendous in that heat with no water in the stadium and no sun lotion.

Just watched it. Can't believe the complete disregard to peoples safety for to see a final.

Throwing glass bottles and traffic cones up in the air in amongst a packed crowd is not only disgraceful but sheer stupidity.

Then seeing people crush and trample over other people to breach turnstiles and ticket search barriers, it's remarkable no one died.

They were perhaps lucky there were 23000 seats unsold on capacity due to covid. If it was full capacity it could've potentially been another Hillsborough.

It was the empty seats factor that spurred on/justified it for many I found.

I’ve always said about Manchester, if the police think is was a nightmare with us losing, just as well we never won :))
I don’t mean more fighting but the streets would of been mayhem until the next day, most folk just went home because of the defeat.

I don't understand the crowd that stood about outside after the game started. All that build up just to stand outside the ground and miss the match. I dont understand the cheek either of breaking into a game without paying while thousands of others have forked money for a ticket. Dont imagine tickets for that game would have been cheap.

Seems like just after the pandemic football authorities forgot what was involved in holding a big final, with what happened in Paris with the champions league aswell.
Forgot about the Champions League final in Paris. That's another one that was total chaos getting in (on UEFA's watch). Apparently there were also issues with the Champions League final in Istanbul last year too. Alot of City fans complained that they had to walk a good few miles to the ground from the city as the busses to/from the game just didn't turn up.

It will be interesting to see how the final at Wembley goes this year. I wonder if UEFA will have applied any of the learnings from the last few major finals to this one? Only time will tell...

I’ve always said about Manchester, if the police think is was a nightmare with us losing, just as well we never won :))
I don’t mean more fighting but the streets would have been mayhem until the next day, most folk just went home because of the defeat.
Maybe if they didn’t just start wading in with their batons for %^*& all there wouldn’t have been half the trouble.

Forgot about the Champions League final in Paris. That's another one that was total chaos getting in (on UEFA's watch). Apparently there were also issues with the Champions League final in Istanbul last year too. Alot of City fans complained that they had to walk a good few miles to the ground from the city as the busses to/from the game just didn't turn up.

It will be interesting to see how the final at Wembley goes this year. I wonder if UEFA will have applied any of the learnings from the last few major finals to this one? Only time will tell...
Wembley have built additional perimeter barriers outside the staff and media entrances on the lower level, the same areas where crowds were storming up the stairs before the Euro final.

I reckon UEFA made them do that as a condition of giving them the CL final this year and the Euros in 2028.

Great watch - It's a bloody miracle nobody was killed. What a bunch of entitled twats, giving zero thought to the lives of others, in their quest to watch a game of football. Nothing justifies that level of inconsideration.

It also highlights the issues of dealing with large crowds. What starts of as a party atmosphere, very slow degenerates in to mob mentality through drink and drugs. Your usual arseholes will always be that, but in large crowds a huge number of generally sensible people start getting carried along and before you know it its chaos.

Some people will scream "the police should do better. The security should do better" but ultimately, the ONLY people to blame are those who allowed themselves to lose control.

And for the guy Dan, having seen the footage, to say he wasn't ashamed of his action, epitomises the mindset that seems to permeate society.

Back