The Scottish Amateur Cup 2023/2024

Today’s quarter final results

Annbank 0 v Garrowhill Thitsle 1

Greenock HSFP 1 v Cupar Hearts 4

Balgonie Scotia 0 v Steins Thistle 3

Sandys 3 v Glenburn Miners Welfare 1

Great result for Cupar today am I right in thinking it's Steins we play in the semi,a repeat of last year's final
Watched their game today.
Greenock were better team for first 30-35mins but Cupar got stronger towards the end of the first half.
A late equaliser in the first half followed by an early scrappy goal in the second half put them 2 1 ahead and in control of the game..

No mate. It was typically the day after the Scottish Cup Final at Hampden but changed to a midweek last season. I’ll try to find out this week what the plan is.
Ok thanks, heard folk talking today at Greenock v Cupar game saying it's been moved away from Hampden for some reason.. but they weren't 100% sure

Ok thanks, heard folk talking today at Greenock v Cupar game saying it's been moved away from Hampden for some reason.. but they weren't 100% sure
Moving away from Hampden was considered last season as an alternative to moving to midweek so there’s no doubt that is a possibility.

Saw cupar at hampden for final around 2007 ( which we lost) on a sunday and winning it last year at hampden midweek and i have to say i really hope this years is at the weekend , wherever its played. Cupar to glasgow is maybe an hour 20 at that time of night but that still makes for a very late night for young kids with school the next day. And theres a lot of teams with far longer potential journeys than that in the competition.
If theyre moving the venue it would make sense to wait til the finals decided. For example, say cupar played garrowhill in this years final, maybe perth/ falkirk/ dunfermline/ livi would work. If for example steins played garrowill then airdrie/ fir park/ st mirren make more sense.

There’s often a problem with availability of senior grounds. Falkirk is normally one the SAFA get, the East of Scotland Final will be played there on 12th of April for example and New Douglas Park is the go to for national semis and the semi finals and final of the West, although Friday’s west semi was played at Broadwood.

The date of the Scottish final (traditionally it must be the last game of the season) would rule out a lot of senior grass parks because post season work has started on them.

Saw cupar at hampden for final around 2007 ( which we lost) on a sunday and winning it last year at hampden midweek and i have to say i really hope this years is at the weekend , wherever its played. Cupar to glasgow is maybe an hour 20 at that time of night but that still makes for a very late night for young kids with school the next day. And theres a lot of teams with far longer potential journeys than that in the competition.
If theyre moving the venue it would make sense to wait til the finals decided. For example, say cupar played garrowhill in this years final, maybe perth/ falkirk/ dunfermline/ livi would work. If for example steins played garrowill then airdrie/ fir park/ st mirren make more sense.
Would be some achievement Cupar even getting to the final again this year they still have much the same team as last year,a team hard to beat, cupar was wild when we won it last year I got home at 6 am wasn't popular

Would be some achievement Cupar even getting to the final again this year they still have much the same team as last year,a team hard to beat, cupar was wild when we won it last year I got home at 6 am wasn't popular
Brilliant! Im away to look at the videos of the team getting back off the bus into town to see if i spot you.
But thats why weekends would be better for any team. I mind one of the players from the final we lost saying they were gutted but got back into the town to a great reception on a sunday evening and it made them realise how much theyd achieved just getting to final

Brilliant! Im away to look at the videos of the team getting back off the bus into town to see if i spot you.
But thats why weekends would be better for any team. I mind one of the players from the final we lost saying they were gutted but got back into the town to a great reception on a sunday evening and it made them realise how much theyd achieved just getting to final
Ha I'm in them brother see you at the final again this year hopefully!

What's the general standard like of these teams? Do they have a lot of ex pros / ex junior etc?

I know two guys who played with Morton who were playing with that Greenock team a few years back.

What's the general standard like of these teams? Do they have a lot of ex pros / ex junior etc?

I know two guys who played with Morton who were playing with that Greenock team a few years back.

Yeah you find it's a few ex pros and junior. Also, generally, there's a few quid getting thrown around by most of the frontrunner.

They deny it cos its illegal but everyone knows it goes on. Not saying every team but certainly a very high percentage of the top amateur sides.

If selected. If selected. I'm making this up as I need attention: Sterling in goals.

Best of luck v either

Drum Ams - good side. International DJ David Forbes still making players half his age run about after him. Just turned 50. Like big Skelf now at Campsie. Always MOM.

Gartcosh - good side. Bernie is Manager and a good guy. Sawyers up front a handful for Centre halfs. Play as as a team. Monk in goals will probably be smoking a fag in the changing room before ko.

That Semi on 29th should be a cracker.
Can just imagine him rushing home from Miami or something to play in this game :))

Cupar have a lad who played pro with dunfermline/ east fife/ arbroath level. Local boy close to 40 though, no one else who's played at that level as far as I'm aware. I'm a bit of a glory hunter to be honest, live in Glasgow so dont see them very often but last year I saw the last 4 rounds and was noticeable to me how much more of an impact he made on the big pitch at hampden in final compared to previous rounds, seemed like experience stood out a lot more. To my eyes ( and cuparbear will know better I'd imagine), they're a good blend of youth and experience, some very good older lads who may or may not have played junior level for all I know, and some legs in the younger boys. A striker who isnt particularly fast or big but is very clever and looks like if he was a bit bigger etc could hold his own at a league one or two level in terms of ability. Certainly a stand out at that level from the little I've seen.
Cupar is also maybe a bit unusual in that although it's a relatively small town, there's a fair catchment area with the surrounding villages/ school and there isnt a junior team, so they might well have a bit more of a pool to call on than some teams. Others will know better than me.

There’s often a problem with availability of senior grounds. Falkirk is normally one the SAFA get, the East of Scotland Final will be played there on 12th of April for example and New Douglas Park is the go to for national semis and the semi finals and final of the West, although Friday’s west semi was played at Broadwood.

The date of the Scottish final (traditionally it must be the last game of the season) would rule out a lot of senior grass parks because post season work has started on them.
West final might be getting played at Fir Park due to stadium availability - nothing confirmed yet.

Was meant to be at Friday 19th April at Airdrieonians but Celtic B are playing in the Lowland League that night now and they take priority.

Cupar have a lad who played pro with dunfermline/ east fife/ arbroath level. Local boy close to 40 though, no one else who's played at that level as far as I'm aware. I'm a bit of a glory hunter to be honest, live in Glasgow so dont see them very often but last year I saw the last 4 rounds and was noticeable to me how much more of an impact he made on the big pitch at hampden in final compared to previous rounds, seemed like experience stood out a lot more. To my eyes ( and cuparbear will know better I'd imagine), they're a good blend of youth and experience, some very good older lads who may or may not have played junior level for all I know, and some legs in the younger boys. A striker who isnt particularly fast or big but is very clever and looks like if he was a bit bigger etc could hold his own at a league one or two level in terms of ability. Certainly a stand out at that level from the little I've seen.
Cupar is also maybe a bit unusual in that although it's a relatively small town, there's a fair catchment area with the surrounding villages/ school and there isnt a junior team, so they might well have a bit more of a pool to call on than some teams. Others will know better than me.
Lawson is the best striker in the ammies for me. Cupar knocked us out in round 2 and they are a very good team. Had a decent name for
Years so players in that area tend to head that way if they are a good standard.

The standard has dropped massively over the last 3/4 years with the Junior teams moving across to east/west of Scotland players are now making the jump over to that set up more than they did with the old junior leagues. Friday night 20s and 35s have impacted it massively too and teams are folding all over the place massive reduction in amount this year already next will be the same. Simply boys between 21 and 35 aren’t interested in playing football these days or trainjng etc. most go to gym work shifts etc.

Yeah you find it's a few ex pros and junior. Also, generally, there's a few quid getting thrown around by most of the frontrunner.

They deny it cos its illegal but everyone knows it goes on. Not saying every team but certainly a very high percentage of the top amateur sides.
Nonsense. Its certainly fair to say that amateur clubs have paid players but it’s nowhere near ‘general’ or ‘most of the front runners’.

Some achievement given they are genuine amateur unlike many other teams.

Spoke to some of the guys today who have been around the club for many years. They had never reached the quarters before.
Great achievement for them but for me it just shows how far the standard has actually slipped. I knew it had fallen but not that far tbh.

Nonsense. Its certainly fair to say that amateur clubs have paid players but it’s nowhere near ‘general’ or ‘most of the front runners’.

I'm not dealing in conjecture mate. Most of the teams who do well in the Scottish are paying players and most of the teams who have historically done well, paid players. I know this beyond a doubt. Understand you yourself, wherever you play, may be truly amateur and more credit to your club if so, but what I'm saying ain't nonsense.

I'm not dealing in conjecture mate. Most of the teams who do well in the Scottish are paying players and most of the teams who have historically done well, paid players. I know this beyond a doubt. Understand you yourself, wherever you play, may be truly amateur and more credit to your club if so, but what I'm saying ain't nonsense.

It definitely happened when I played but, don't think it's as rife as you are suggesting mate. Think that's all he meant.

Some were actually quite open about it. Could never understand why they didn't just get involved with juniors. Think some of them did in fairness. Falkirk and Hurlford, I'm sure those guys went into the junior game.

Semi Final Dates

Monday 22nd April 2024
New Douglas Park @ 20:00

Garrowhill Thistke v Sandys

Friday 26th April 2024
Falkirk Stadium @ 19:30

Steins Thistle v Cupar Hearts

I believe the final will be at Hampden on Thursday 23rd of May.

Last edited:
One of the major changes this season in the 35s and 40s had been a switch to regional leagues. Means a lot less travel. Coupled with being a summer league, playing every second Friday or Sunday is certainly appealing to a lot of guys.

Some achievement given they are genuine amateur unlike many other teams.

Spoke to some of the guys today who have been around the club for many years. They had never reached the quarters before.
Very good team, play good football and will be hard to beat, good luck to them.

Semi Final Dates

Monday 22nd April 2024

Friday 26th April 2024

Surely they won’t play the final at Hampden less than 48 hours before the Scottish Cup Final?

One of the major changes this season in the 35s and 40s had been a switch to regional leagues. Means a lot less travel. Coupled with being a summer league, playing every second Friday or Sunday is certainly appealing to a lot of guys.
Why don't they play every week, is it fitness issues at that due to middle age? Think that would have done my nut in if the games came every fortnight.

Semi Final Dates

Monday 22nd April 2024

Friday 26th April 2024

Unbelievable show of common sence used by the safa for once regarding the steins and cupar game . Using Falkirk instead of Hamilton. Would expect a very good crowd that night.

Why don't they play every week, is it fitness issues at that due to middle age? Think that would have done my nut in if the games came every fortnight.
Some games are week to week, it depends on how many teams are in the league. Also no games are scheduled over certain school holidays, like Easter and the October week. League runs March to end of November

Also, very few teams train. Onus is on the individual to keep fitness levels up. Again appeals to many keeping two weeknights free

Garrowhill put EKRR out in earlier rounds and were impressive. Hoping they can do it. Genuine amateur team, akin to Rolly, which makes their achievements all the more deserving. Steins management were c0ck sockets in last year’s semi so anyone but them will do me.

Back