Time we stop these young EPL "superstar" loans for good?

I've watched it - very strange penalty award - he had actually lost the ball and got slightly impeded by the keeper. He then had a horrendous sclaff when through on the keeper (at an angle )
Fair enough and although Diallo could develop into a player,right now I would have Fashion and Wright in front of him.

These guys usually come here lacking so many of the ingredients needed to make a successful Rangers player. Said it the moment we were linked with Diallo that it was a terrible way to fill a problematic position, and we had plenty of folk falling over themselves to talk about his price tag and how we'd never be able to afford to buy him.

The EPL is vastly overrated in the first place. It's daft to buy into the hype of how much money these guys are going for, when realistically you have a guy with 7 appearances to his name who thinks he's already made it. Only time it has worked in recent history was Ryan Kent who came here with a good 70+ senior appearances, and I'd argue we've moved up so many levels since then that if we signed a guy like him on loan these days it'd be viewed as a poor signing as well.

At a push the time to bring in a young guy like Diallo is early in pre season when we have plenty of time to bed him in and work with him, but as a 6 month stop gap loan it's just an amazingly poor way to conduct our transfer business for me.
Scores 2 today

Not necessarily stop these kind of loans entirely, but we can't expect them to be the players who will make critical contributions in pursuit of league titles. The game we were in yesterday, especially the last 25 minutes, demanded a certain mindset that even most top players probably don't have until they're a bit more experienced than Diallo is. It shows up in the commitment to challenges and the decision making on the ball. It's the difference between Diallo squaring to Sakala for a tap-in and going it alone as he did. Arfield, Tav, Kent, Alfie, Goldson have that mindset. I think Bassey has it now, but he wasn't ready last season. I trust Lundstram to do it for us in this run-in. I think Diallo looks a good player, but he's raw, and the second half yesterday wasn't the game for him to be in.

He had a few terrible isolated moments yesterday but generally affected the play and helped us stretch them to turn the screw. As someone else mentioned, if he squared that chance it's a different story and he's being hailed as a hero.
It’ll be the old school blood and snotters types who’re impressed by running and sliding and not much else.

Another negative - Morelos takes one of the chances and you wouldn't be grumping again.
He’s not wrong though is he. We are not here to develop other teams players. We need players who can do it now, every saturday then the midweek after that

This place is truly bonkers. On Thursday Ryan Kent terrorises Dortmund in their own back yard and is compared to Ribery. On Monday he's not good enough and Abada who was part of a team humped at home in the Conference is better. And Diallo who has scored in Champions League and on his debut for us won't be making a living out of football by the time he's 23! I mean come on tae f...!

Yes. Loans rarely go well.

Ryan Kent aside, there’s no one of note making an impact on loan since Weiss and Diouf and that was 12 years ago.

The majority are simply a waste of time.

What about your Ono, Ejaria, Worrall, Nemane, King (not young), Goss, Toral, Hyndman, Oduwa, Ball, Zelalem?
I think this is the point for me.

It’s not a dig at Diallo or even necessarily Gio. Some of the flak flying (myself included) at Diallo is probably harsh, but it comes from having watched the same movie over and over with these type of loans.

Our recruitment team keep going back to the EPL under 23 loan market and keep getting it wrong. Serious questions need to be asked about making the same mistakes over and over again.

We love signing bang average SPL wingers too. O’Hallaron, Murphy, Stewart, Jones, Barker and now Wright.

If he's not signed by utd for big bucks - there's no way he pops up on our radar as a loan option.

He's talented but so young and such awful decision in a must win game that demanded cool heads. He's not the long term answer and if he's getting minutes over youth that we've developed that cant be a good thing. That said, who do we have ready to step up?

If he's not signed by utd for big bucks - there's no way he pops up on our radar as a loan option.

He's talented but so young and such awful decision in a must win game that demanded cool heads. He's not the long term answer and if he's getting minutes over youth that we've developed that cant be a good thing. That said, who do we have ready to step up?
Lowry..

Fair enough Diallo could have done better but there are plenty of times others in the team could have done better and they got no where near the same criticism.
Shouldn’t be treated differently because he is on loan.

Ross County showed the talent he has and can play a big part for us in the remainder of the season…if we back him.

This place is truly bonkers. On Thursday Ryan Kent terrorises Dortmund in their own back yard and is compared to Ribery. On Monday he's not good enough and Abada who was part of a team humped at home in the Conference is better. And Diallo who has scored in Champions League and on his debut for us won't be making a living out of football by the time he's 23! I mean come on tae f...!

It's Follow Follow at it's finest. Conveniently blaming young players for making the wrong choice in a game while ignoring the fact that if our experienced Scottish officials had done their jobs properly at the weekend we would be sitting top of the league, instead the players are getting blamed for not overcoming "honest mistakes" of our officials. It's pretty much a given we are most likely to drop points in an away match follow a tough away European match and when the team is on a dip in energy sometimes you require officials to make the correct calls so we collect the points.

Fair enough Diallo could have done better but there are plenty of times others in the team could have done better and they got no where near the same criticism.

Ross County showed the talent he has and can play a big part for us in the remainder of the season…if we back him.
How you doing, Amad....Enjoy your two goals v Brentford, mate...?

Correct it didn't and it was a poor decision.

On that basis, the OP wants us to stop loaning players with big reputations from the EPL.

It might be a bit mad on my part, but I'm firmly of the belief that every player is different.
To write off a club, league or whole country based on a previous signing is fùcking bonkers.
People were absolutely against ever hiring another foreign manager after Pedro. Wild.

People were absolutely against ever hiring another foreign manager after Pedro. Wild.
I've been here long enough to remember the absolute meltdown on the day we signed Marvin Andrews.

The single biggest reason we shouldn't have signed him?
He played for Livingston!

Imagine FF when we were signing the likes of Cooper, Baxter or McCoist?

I've been here long enough to remember the absolute meltdown on the day we signed Marvin Andrews.

The single biggest reason we shouldn't have signed him?
He played for Livingston!

Imagine FF when we were signing the likes of Cooper, Baxter or McCoist?
Or Bobby Russel from the juniors!

He screwed up. Also the RC game he had a couple of flashes and scored which is ok. He was far from brilliant. The biggest point which indicates he's a mistake is he can't even get a starting berth. He's had minimal positive impact on our team which is below expectations for a £35m player on massive wages. That's his fault no one else's and lessons need learned.

Another reason why this thread doesn’t make any real sense, the wheels of many clubs turn through the loan system. Look at our squad and young players. We send them on loan to clubs that need a bit of quality which they can’t generally afford. If clubs were to stop taking our players on loan we would be fucked.

He screwed up. Also the RC game he had a couple of flashes and scored which is ok. He was far from brilliant. The biggest point which indicates he's a mistake is he can't even get a starting berth. He's had minimal positive impact on our team which is below expectations for a £35m player on massive wages. That's his fault no one else's and lessons need learned.
Not arguing he didn’t screw up but if we were pinning all our hopes on Diallo in the first place then we were in more trouble than we thought.

On the subject of being no one else’s fault surely it’s the management teams responsibility to identify him, bring him in and give him the best opportunity to play well so they haven’t done that.

If we held others to the same standard as we are Diallo then we would be in a much better place both on and off the pitch as our transfers haven’t been good enough for a number of windows now.

Back