Too much dead wood throughout the club.

Other than the out of contract players it’s going to be difficult to shift a lot of players at the club given the ridiculous wages some of them are on.

We are paying guys way over the odds that’s why Scott Wright is still here. I’d be shocked if we can find anyone daft enough to take the likes of Matondo, Goldson & Davies off our hands.
For Goldson and Davies, worryingly we’d likely need to let them go for free and pay a part of their wages such is how ridiculous our decisions have been!

Players I would keep, but I know its not possible for various reasons!
Butland
Yilmaz
Sterling
Souttar???
Diomande
Cantwell
Danilo
McCausland
Cortez If possible
Sima but out with our price
Plus young players like McKinnon and Rice need to be trusted more!

His stats suggest he's not a very good one. In fact he wouldn't be dangerous with a machine gun.
I totally agree. All I’m saying is we have players at the club that are constantly being played out of position then lambasted when they don’t perform.

Maybe instead of trying to shoe horn players into a formation that just doesn’t suit Scottish football has to change. It’s all well and good dominating the ball but when we can’t do anything with it then it becomes a problem

I totally agree. All I’m saying is we have players at the club that are constantly being played out of position then lambasted when they don’t perform.

Maybe instead of trying to shoe horn players into a formation that just doesn’t suit Scottish football has to change. It’s all well and good dominating the ball but when we can’t do anything with it then it becomes a problem

We still don't play with enough pace.

We slow things down in midfield and it allows the opposition to funnel back.

It seems like the manager has got as much of a tune out of this bunch as he's going to get.

Big clear out required, the undroppables need gone, they know regardless of how poor they play their spot is guaranteed. Then players like Sterling who busts a gut & plays any position asked of him only makes the bench.

The money we are paying out to guys who are either past their best or contribute very little is off the charts.

Celtic have three guys on £25k+ a week - McGregor, Carter-Vickers and Kyogo.

We must have at least 9 guys on equivalent wages - Butland, Tav, Goldson, Davies, Lundstram, Lawrence, Silva, Dessers and Matondo.

It's absolutely mental when you think about it

Think McGregor is on £37k as he got a contract extension recently but shockingly seven of the top ten earning players between the two sides are at Rangers.

Even more ridiculous is only one player at Celtic is on higher wages than Ben Davies currently and that’s a guy who can’t get near our starting 11.

Think McGregor is on £37k as he got a contract extension recently but shockingly seven of the top ten earning players between the two sides are at Rangers.

Even more ridiculous is only one player at Celtic is on higher wages than Ben Davies currently and that’s a guy who can’t get near our starting 11.
What is that top ten FDB ? Ta

You could pick a starting 11 that you would be glad to see the back of, goes to show how poor a squad and poor management/ recruitment has been

Reactions: VGM
This article lists them.

Thanks mate .

If we accept that as accurate it makes me pretty sick particularly those two CD and Roofe tbh what a terrible spend for what we get . Ross Wilson / BoD really screwed up more generally with the latest crop of signings wrt value for money too .

Not at all impressed with those numbers

Long for the day we no longer have: Roofe, Borna, Goldson, Souttar, Tavernier, Lundstram, Jack, Dowell, Wright, Lawrence, Dessers, Matondo, Silva, Davies, Balogun, Raskin, Lammers hanging about our first 11/squad. I'll add Hagi to that too.

Butland, Ridvan, Cantwell, Sterling, Diomande, McCausland, Danilo are fine. Not sure what happens with Cortes and I doubt we can afford Sima given then number of signings we need in the summer.

Very few sell able assets and a squad of that's made up of injury prone, ageing, past their sell by date players.

We've got the chance to wave good bye to: Borna, Lundstram, Balogun, Jack, Roofe, McLaughlin, Silva in the summer. Make it happen.

We've known we've had a lot of dead wood for years. This isn't new information.

Thankfully a lot of the big contracts are coming to an end and we can finally move some of them on. Good riddance.

He showed more of the real Matondo today.

And we can't afford impact subs on his wage.
He had success getting the ball in a wide position so yesterday he started coming inside looking for the ball! He also gave away a couple of daft fouls giving them a chance to reset!

McLaughlin, Tav, Goldson, Souttar, Balogun, Davies, Barisic, Lundstram, Jack, Lawrence, Dowell, Raskin, Cifuentes, Matondo, Wright, Dessers, Roofe, Lammers and Hagi.

Full squad of players we need to shift. An insane amount of wasted money and transfers.

If we're serious about moving forward we have to get rid of as much of them as possible.

Matondo has pace to burn but his football brain is as slow as my grandmother. And she’s been dead for 15 years
Harsh,Ibet you didnt think that when he scored the equaliser last week.Its fine movingplayers on at the end of their contract but how do you propose doing that with recently signed players?

He had success getting the ball in a wide position so yesterday he started coming inside looking for the ball! He also gave away a couple of daft fouls giving them a chance to reset!
Given as fouls yes certainly the second one wasn’t he was fouled .

But here’s the thing players need to joust and it’s marginal at times it’s not a particular weakness in RM game as far as I know ?

Last edited:
McLaughlin, Tav, Goldson, Souttar, Balogun, Davies, Barisic, Lundstram, Jack, Lawrence, Dowell, Raskin, Cifuentes, Matondo, Wright, Dessers, Roofe, Lammers and Hagi.

Full squad of players we need to shift. An insane amount of wasted money and transfers.

If we're serious about moving forward we have to get rid of as much of them as possible.

That’s grim.

I’d keep Souttar - Scottish, probably not on a huge wage and is capable of filling in, as needed.

I don’t know how we’re shifting the likes of Davies, Dowell, Lawrence and Matondo, for example? And no one is taking Goldson.

Lammers + Dessers will get offers and we’ll be accepting a loss when they move.

I can see us selling Yilmaz to get funds. Likewise Butland and I wouldn’t be adverse to moving on Cantwell.

The legacy of Wilson + Beale.

Totally agree OP

I’d be having 2nd thoughts on giving Lundstram a big contract. I know he’s played a lot lately but when we are chasing a game he’s so slow

Today outfield players were poor

Failed to take our chances when 1-0 up and it cost us big time
If we re-sign Lundstram it's a sign that nothing is going to change. Rewarding mediocrity.

We need to move on:

Tav, Goldson, Barisic, Jack, Dessers, Lawrence, Matondo, Dowell, Wright, Lammers, Davies, Balogun, Barisic, McLaughlin, Raskin, Lundstram, Roofe, Davies, Silva.

Unfortunately, that also means we are losing Sima, but there's not much we can do about that if we effectively have to replace a squad with limited funds.

There needs to be a complete break from "Gerrards guys" and their losers mentality. It doesn't matter what they have done. They are perpetual losers who need replaced because they seem to infect everyone at the club with their failure.

Thanks mate .

If we accept that as accurate it makes me pretty sick particularly those two CD and Roofe tbh what a terrible spend for what we get . Ross Wilson / BoD really screwed up more generally with the latest crop of signings wrt value for money too .

Not at all impressed with those numbers
Wilson and his appointments/decisions will cost our club millions and has set us back years

It seems like the manager has got as much of a tune out of this bunch as he's going to get.
We lack both physical and mental quickness. I know for example that Lundstram has his fans on FF but he hardly ever takes a ball, turns and plays a quick forward pass. That's what we need in midfield and why I would rather have someone like Cantwell in midfield with maybe Sterling as his anchor man.
Very rarely do we get a ball in midfield that is then moved quickly to, for example,on the inside of an opposition full back.
It's all square and laborious

It would be a failure of our revamped recruitment team if we’re unable to locate a comparable talent that is younger and cheaper than Lundstram.
I feel JL has been a good player for us despite not getting to play in his best suited position but agree there ought to be fresher better value guys who could come in . Of course the issue is making that happen it’s always a risk and we have a stream of errors in doing so .

It’s down to the manager n scouts isn’t it , they live and die on these decisions .

Would keep Matondo as an impact sub, but hard to argue with the rest

He’s the worst one on the list mate. Absolutely awful, saved by a goal against Celtic.

He’s everything wrong with our strategy/ player profile

He’s a player born to play for a run of the mill club like Sunderland

No heart/or consistent level of quality

I'd happily get rid of the list above - Tav, Goldson, Barisic, Jack, Dessers, Lawrence, Matondo, Dowell, Wright, Lammers, Davies, Balogun, Barisic, McLaughlin, Raskin, Lundstram, Roofe, Davies, Silva - and write off next year's title if it meant we could get a decent financial footing, and start again.

I'm sure I'm just emotional after yesterday, but I can't keep having to deal with this group letting me down.
Purchasing Sima & Cortes, if we could, would be welcome. But why would either want to stay when, surely, they can see the current group have no realistic expectation of success.
Just need to hope we can dangle the 'potential' Champions League carrot to trick them into signing, before we get knocked out by FC Twente or similar.

Correct. Most would struggle to get a game of walking football because it’s to fast for them.

He’s the worst one on the list mate. Absolutely awful, saved by a goal against Celtic.

He’s everything wrong with our strategy/ player profile

He’s a player born to play for a run of the mill club like Sunderland

No heart/or consistent level of quality
Not disagreeing with you completely.

I agree that his technical ability and decision making leaves a lot to be desired. He has had some good moments though before and after his injury. Not good enough to start but maybe worth another season as an impact sub

I'd happily get rid of the list above - Tav, Goldson, Barisic, Jack, Dessers, Lawrence, Matondo, Dowell, Wright, Lammers, Davies, Balogun, Barisic, McLaughlin, Raskin, Lundstram, Roofe, Davies, Silva - and write off next year's title if it meant we could get a decent financial footing, and start again.

I'm sure I'm just emotional after yesterday, but I can't keep having to deal with this group letting me down.
Purchasing Sima & Cortes, if we could, would be welcome. But why would either want to stay when, surely, they can see the current group have no realistic expectation of success.
Just need to hope we can dangle the 'potential' Champions League carrot to trick them into signing, before we get knocked out by FC Twente or similar.

That's quite the cull and yet it's hard to disagree with any of that. Talk about going back to the drawing board?

The only thing I can take issue with is, we simply cannot afford to keep missing out on CL money.

First and foremost, we need defenders in. Proper defenders. Not the B grade crap we have.

What was the alternative. Just not bringing any players in last summer.
No but a bit of due diligence wouldn’t have went a miss. Was there not even one person on the board saying something like, we don’t have much money but what we do have we need to spend wisely.

Forgive my wording and spelling on the original post, it was a bit late and it had been a long day lol.

It took Sunderland about 2 months to realise Beale was a chancer but he was allowed to run us into the ground and set us back another 2 or 3 years.

Players I would keep, but I know its not possible for various reasons!
Butland
Yilmaz
Sterling
Souttar???
Diomande
Cantwell
Danilo
McCausland
Cortez If possible
Sima but out with our price
Plus young players like McKinnon and Rice need to be trusted more!

This is a must for me.

No but a bit of due diligence wouldn’t have went a miss. Was there not even one person on the board saying something like, we don’t have much money but what we do have we need to spend wisely.

Forgive my wording and spelling on the original post, it was a bit late and it had been a long day lol.

It took Sunderland about 2 months to realise Beale was a chancer but he was allowed to run us into the ground and set us back another 2 or 3 years.

The due diligence, or lack of, was down to Wilson.

'We had a week of intensive interviews.'

They might have paid lip service to interviews? But Beale, with no record of note as manager at Loftus Rd, was always getting the gig.

Harsh,Ibet you didnt think that when he scored the equaliser last week.Its fine movingplayers on at the end of their contract but how do you propose doing that with recently signed players?
How often does he do that? For the wages he is on he should be doing a fair bit more in my opinion. Just another waste of wages

The due diligence, or lack of, was down to Wilson.

'We had a week of intensive interviews.'

They might have paid lip service to interviews? But Beale, with no record of note as manager at Loftus Rd, was always getting the gig.
Thank god Wilson’s away then, maybe the board seen through him as well before he got to do any more damage

The issue is we can't just clear the decks each season. It has a knock-on affect on recruitment trying to bring in 9-10 players each summer. We need to try & actually focus on getting 4-5 quality players in & improving the squad over multiple windows.

Might mean some players you're not keen on stay a season more than you would like, but punting x to get y, then 12 months later trying to get shot of them 1-year into a 4-year deal is killing us.

Enjoyed your post FT72 until you used the word ‘realistic’ and it returned me to my senses

We lack both physical and mental quickness. I know for example that Lundstram has his fans on FF but he hardly ever takes a ball, turns and plays a quick forward pass. That's what we need in midfield and why I would rather have someone like Cantwell in midfield with maybe Sterling as his anchor man.
Very rarely do we get a ball in midfield that is then moved quickly to, for example,on the inside of an opposition full back.
It's all square and laborious
I think there is definitely potential for Cantwell to start in a Rangers 11 but it definitely isn't in the middle of the park in a 6 or 8 position. Unless it is in the number 10 position he'll struggle as he loses the ball far too much to play in the centre of midfield. You can get away with it in the number 10 position as there are effectively two lines to still break .... not that the current ones are doing that very well all the same.

I think there is definitely potential for Cantwell to start in a Rangers 11 but it definitely isn't in the middle of the park in a 6 or 8 position. Unless it is in the number 10 position he'll struggle as he loses the ball far too much to play in the centre of midfield. You can get away with it in the number 10 position as there are effectively two lines to still break .... not that the current ones are doing that very well all the same.
I think you are right. Cantwell is a no.10 all day long. Far to careless as a no.8. Gives way to many fouls.

I think you are right. Cantwell is a no.10 all day long. Far to careless as a no.8. Gives way to many fouls.
It's finding the balance between trying the risky pass / dribble and playing the percentage pass.

For me a number 10 is always going to lose the ball a lot more than most due to trying that killer pass, taking on the extra man and that's something you need to understand.

For me Cantwell has a lot of the qualities we need but he just needs to follow the instructions given to him by the coaching staff. Fully fit I think he would get us around 15 goals a season also.

Would keep Matondo as an impact sub, but hard to argue with the rest
I think Matondo has done well he has had a run of games. Just worry that with his pace he’s never too far from a hamstring or other injury.

Same for Lawrence. Looks better when he’s had a run of games but if we can get better players then he can go.

Sunday highlighted what we knew about lack of character.

Different game if Diomande, Yilmaz and Sterling start. They bring energy and positivity.

Latest posts

Back