Will the World Cup be shown in 4K?

The problem for me will be the bandwidth required for streaming over the internet. 30 Mbps is the recommended minimum. Mine is advertised as 60 Mbps but whenever I've measured it I'm lucky to get 20 Mbps. Lack of fast broadband is where it all falls apart.

Remember with OLED that although it's a newer tech and undoubtedly has better blacks, etc, it can't get anywhere near the peak brightness of LCD, which for HDR content can make a difference. My TV goes as high as 1500 nits, not sure what the limit of OLED is but it's nowhere near that.

The nits thing is relative with OLEDs though, the contrast ratio is so good that the brightness doesn't need to be as high. I've got the C6 which is only 700 nits, but very rarely ever have issues with viewing (only when the sun is absolutely belting in the living room do you lose some of the picture, but same applied to my Samsung KS9500 which was 1400 nits).

The new OLEDs are 1000 nits and I genuinely don't think you'd see any difference if it was to go any higher.

I’d hope so, but looks like it’ll be online only. Still a distinct lack of UHD channels, and 4K channels are even further away due to the bandwidth requirements.

Be interested to see how it compares to say the services in The States.
Spain in the main is like a third world country compared to the UK.
But 300mb is standard for internet.
And has been a while.

Made me slightly worried when the salesman kept referring to it as a mid range tv. £2300 for a mid range..... how much are the top range tv's o_O

Also come next May gerrard lifting the premiership trophy will look sweet in 65 inch 4k on sky ;)

Think on it this way.

Buying a top of the range in the high street sense Toshiba 33" pro logic set 25 years ago would have been £1,500. It would have been mid range compared to B&O pricewise.

Vaguely remember that the recommended viewing distance is 2 1/2 times the screen. You must have a living room the size of a barn :D

Re OLED, great bits of kit, but I was sooooo disappointed that SED tubed tellys never went ahead. A joint venture between Canon + Toshiba I think.
3 guns per pixel and not one gun for the tube (unless you Sony Trinitron *tri nitron*)

Would have been immense.

Now for that sort of cash you paid, you get so much more.

If its streaming it will be shite 4k much like 1080p streaming on iplayer and other devices is shite quality.

If anyone else has netflix you can actually check this yourself... CTRL+Shift+Alt+D with the video open & check what you get for the following

7a63c16d592f132b801327867969b3da.png

a/v Being Audio/Visual

Audio 320 is "CD" Quality, 128 is pretty much the lowest you will ever listen to an mp3/podcast

Video is where you are getting ripped off (kbps) The above is an SD Stream(853x480) highest it will go is 710 (after compression your normal dvd is about 6000, 1080p should be somewhere between 20-30k and 4k is 80-130k)

The technology simply doesnt exist or is far too expensive to even happen. But 99% of people have never seen a 1080/3D/4k video at source so buy into the "hype"

EDIT 2: Turns out i was talking somewhat pish after checking download usage, but I have "good" Internet so its hard to judge based on a youtube video etc, as my peak was 62 Mb/s (1.8Gb in 1m) Youtube in general though for 4k is still 2-3x the quality of Sky but everything is compressed into the ground so i suppose it depends on what codecs etc are used to actually judge "quality"

Last edited:
If anyone else has netflix you can actually check this yourself... CTRL+Shift+Alt+D with the video open & check what you get for the following

7a63c16d592f132b801327867969b3da.png

a/v Being Audio/Visual

Audio 320 is "CD" Quality, 128 is pretty much the lowest you will ever listen to an mp3/podcast

Video is where you are getting ripped off (kbps) The above is an SD Stream(853x480) highest it will go is 710 (after compression your normal dvd is about 6000, 1080p should be somewhere between 20-30k and 4k is 80-130k)

The technology simply doesnt exist or is far too expensive to even happen. But 99% of people have never seen a 1080/3D/4k video at source so buy into the "hype"

EDIT 2: Turns out i was talking somewhat pish after checking download usage, but I have "good" Internet so its hard to judge based on a youtube video etc, as my peak was 62 Mb/s (1.8Gb in 1m) Youtube in general though for 4k is still 2-3x the quality of Sky but everything is compressed into the ground so i suppose it depends on what codecs etc are used to actually judge "quality"
From what i remember BluRay is 90% compressed at 4k but still uses a bitrate of around 25-40Mbps depending on film which is more than good enough for an amaizing picture.

Streaming 4k is lossy so can be anywhere between 7-15Mbps, BBC/C4 etc is around 8Mbps.

Amazingly BT put out 4k football at 30Mbps and Sky at 40Mbps putting them at Bluray quality.

but still uses a bitrate of around 25-40Mbps depending on film which is more than good enough for an amazing picture.

That is pretty much the end of the conversation tbh :cool: (and kind of proves both our points)

Can your average person tell the difference between e.g. Saving Private Ryan in 4k UHD at 75Mb/s or in 1080p compressed with H.265 at 8Mb/s

Everything is the same though, Smart jargon to bump people out of cash

That is pretty much the end of the conversation tbh :cool: (and kind of proves both our points)

Can your average person tell the difference between e.g. Saving Private Ryan in 4k UHD at 75Mb/s or in 1080p compressed with H.265 at 8Mb/s

God i would like to think so :D

It is not really though, the limiting factor is bandwidth, ideally you would not like to have any compression of the signal from source to receiver, but due to limitations in bandwidth you need to. Now that colour is managed by bit factors the higher the compression the less information is available when unpacking the data and reproducing the image which impacts on quality. Add in the processing capability of the TV to reproduce the image and it it all adds up to either being a good or terrible picture.

North America is so far behind when it comes to TV and broadcasting I would not get my hopes up.

If you were going to Japan then I would certainly see the point, a good few games will be broadcast over the air in 4K.

North America so far behind the UK? your talking nonsense. If i can watch it in HD then its also available to me in 4K, on demand/rentals/purchases are normally available also.

Internet is 300mbps down and 150mbps up so streaming 4K happens without buffer, UK has what 150mbps down at most? (guess on my part) but its not the US thats behind.

You ever been to the states or just what you have "heard"

North America so far behind the UK? your talking nonsense. If i can watch it in HD then its also available to me in 4K, on demand/rentals/purchases are normally available also.

Internet is 300mbps down and 150mbps up so streaming 4K happens without buffer, UK has what 150mbps down at most? (guess on my part) but its not the US thats behind.

American broadcast quality is generally very poor - a lot of the HD channels are only 720p. But you can access 4K on Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Google and TV Provider download services etc. Sports is where you see the main difference. I don't think NFL is broadcast in 4K and only a few MLB games are in 4K. However, every Premier League game, multiple European games, rugby, cricket, golf etc has been in 4K over here.

Like the UK, some areas of the US are terrible for internet connectivity. We can get 350mb downloads here and also 3mb downloads. Just depends on your location, like the US.

As to the OP, I'm hoping BBC will stream a few games in 4k HLG on iPlayer but beyond that I don't think we will see many 4K World Cup broadcasts just yet - would be different if Sky or BT held the rights.

American broadcast quality is generally very poor - a lot of the HD channels are only 720p. But you can access 4K on Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Google and TV Provider download services etc. Sports is where you see the main difference. I don't think NFL is broadcast in 4K and only a few MLB games are in 4K. However, every Premier League game, multiple European games, rugby, cricket, golf etc has been in 4K over here.

Like the UK, some areas of the US are terrible for internet connectivity. We can get 350mb downloads here and also 3mb downloads. Just depends on your location, like the US.

As to the OP, I'm hoping BBC will stream a few games in 4k HLG on iPlayer but beyond that I don't think we will see many 4K World Cup broadcasts just yet - would be different if Sky or BT held the rights.

The NFL added 4k broadcast at the start of last season, MLB has had 4k for longer and Comcast xfinity HD is 1080. Again, any channel i can watch in HD, it also has a 4K channel option. Including sports. All download/stream options are available in 4K

It is not really though, the limiting factor is bandwidth, ideally you would not like to have any compression of the signal from source to receiver, but due to limitations in bandwidth you need to. Now that colour is managed by bit factors the higher the compression the less information is available when unpacking the data and reproducing the image which impacts on quality. Add in the processing capability of the TV to reproduce the image and it it all adds up to either being a good or terrible picture.

And I agree 100% with what your saying, but considering everything is compressed, there becomes a point where what you can actually watch overtakes the actual quality

Take Netflix as possibly a bad example.... go watch Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle's new special(s) can you tell the difference between watching it in 480p(SD) or 2160p(4K)
& if you can do you give a shit that his hair or joey random out in the audience has less pixels or that you cant zoom into 4000% and pick out a face? :oops:

What about PS4/xbone as another alternative.... what is the point in having 120hz (And people going out to buy a 4K/UHD/120hz TV) to use literally 1% of the content thats available

Living in North America and having done so since 1999 my experience is not hearsay :D

None of the main US channels broadcast in 1080p, normal is 720p or 1080i, its your box that converts the signal to 1080p, Dish, Direct and Xfinity all get their signal from the main broadcast networks.

You get a few 4k channels form Dish and other providers but generally they are pretty poor content wise and the actual signal received is typically 2k or double what HD is not 4x. Until the last software update my TV would tell me the real native signal rather than the up-converted signal my box was sending out. The only native 4k content was from the Blue Jays or Raptors, the rest was throttled back and then up-converted.

Currently Japan specifically Tokyo is broadcasting 4k over the air TV signals, this will never happen in North America, yes we have the content over here but we dont support the format. It will all be streaming content but this will be manged by various codecs and compression software operated by the ISP's we will never see the real benefit of 4k in the short term.

Made me slightly worried when the salesman kept referring to it as a mid range tv. £2300 for a mid range..... how much are the top range tv's o_O

Also come next May gerrard lifting the premiership trophy will look sweet in 65 inch 4k on sky ;)

Top end 65” 4K TVs are around £7,000

Back