Mark Hateley says Colak was a waste of time

Two games in FFS.
Those comments say more about Hateley than they do about a new player settling into a new country.

There are plenty of examples of players with slow starts going on to be great for Rangers.
Also, there are examples of players who made great starts who turned out to be poor. Jeffers after the Porto game and Guivarch after he scored a couple on his debut spring to mind.

Critical thinking out the window again I see.

Tell me, how can a CF performance be rated when the players deployed to service him never play a forward pass.

Like giving a GK a hard time for "doing phuck all" when the opposition don't mount any attacks.

As it’s been said on this thread Hateley came with proven pedigree - so it’s natural that with time he was going to be successful

Colak has none. So very unlikely he’s turning this around
What about Super Ally pedigree
Went from St Johnstone to Sunderland as the next big thing for decent money and was a flop
In 2 years there scored a handful of goals
Not in double figures pretty sure
Rangers got him and stank the place out for quite a while
What pedigree did Ally have ??

Many people far too quick to jump on a bandwagon and look for scapegoats
I don’t know how good or bad Colak will turn out to be but deserves a proper chance!

The Croatian caps isn’t really a point. He was subbed on the 66th minute in a friendly v Turkey.

He then got 4 minutes against Slovenia when it was 3-0.

Then finally he managed a start against Slovakia but got subbed off at 55 mins.

“international pedigree” right there……

His champions league goals came against Riga and HJK….other than scoring 2 against us.

Folk can blindly big him up but at the end of the day stats and numbers dont lie
How hard do you think it is to get into the Croatian squad never mind team
Croatia is a team that does have a pedigree at the top table in International Football
Not many bigging him up but certainly plenty willing to denigrate him unfairly imo

So I’m reserving judgment but there areas of Colaks game that worry me greatly. His lack of mobility, lack of movement off the ball are the two that concern me the most. I wouldnt write him off but he needs to get better quickly.

So I’m reserving judgment but there areas of Colaks game that worry me greatly. His lack of mobility, lack of movement off the ball are the two that concern me the most. I wouldnt write him off but he needs to get better quickly.
Surely Rangers must have scouted the guy and seen his weaknesses right?

How hard do you think it is to get into the Croatian squad never mind team
Croatia is a team that does have a pedigree at the top table in International Football
Not many bigging him up but certainly plenty willing to denigrate him unfairly imo
Barasic is the same age and he has 26 odd caps for Croatia…..and look how much he is getting ripped on here for a while

Have a look at Ante Budimir he has been called up from Osasuna and isn’t really prolific. They have a squad to fill and a Quota. If you think Colak was ever close to being a regular starter you’re mistaken

Im sure Katic also has a cap for Croatia and is free to leave us

Quite frankly it is now irrelevant what Hateley did or didn't do in his time at Rangers.

He is simply commenting on a player's performance and contribution now.

And anyone with a set of eyes can see that - so far - it is not working with Colak.

We all hope he can turn it around but there seems to be a disconnect in the fit for our team when it comes to the type of striker Colak is. Hopefully the cohesion, fit, link up and fluency can improve asap. If not, it feels like Wilson has not thought this through with regard to what the team needs from a striker.

What’s important is that if Gio drops Colak for a unfit Morelos then I’d say he wasn’t best impressed either.

I think Colak will start on Saturday and then be replaced by Alfie on around the 60-70 minute mark.

Alfie will then then start on Tuesday and from then on Colak will be sub.

Totally agree,did we play a defence splitting pass the whole game no,who played the most dangerous pass all night Colak,when he should've been expecting passes like that coming to him,I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt just now.
Yeh we did, he was caught on his heels and wasnt near a brilliant cross. There wasnt a lot of good service but there were 2 chances i thought he was slow reacting to.

I agree with Hateley, if this guy makes it at Rangers I'll eat my car, he looks like another Herrera, Pena, or Kevin Kyle's less mobile younger brother. If Morelos, Roofe and Sakala are fit he'll spend most of the season warming the bench, maybe ten minutes at the end of league games that are already won, a start only in League Cup or Scottish cup against weak opposition. But I hope I'll be proved wrong.
U will be eating Ur car

He's not wrong. After the first 10 minutes we sat back and let them do what they wanted to do
He's not exactly right either . The second half goal you could see coming only came as a result of a penalty which should never have been awarded. Yes we were poor but with a competent ref . we were returning with a not insurmountable 1-0 defeat .

I think Colak will start on Saturday and then be replaced by Alfie on around the 60-70 minute mark.

Alfie shouldn’t be anywhere near a start for at least a month after a lay off like that imo.

If he starts on Tuesday it’s a damming indictment form the manager re Colak imo

For the record I think Colak will do well for us

Alfie shouldn’t be anywhere near a start for at least a month after a lay off like that imo.

If he starts on Tuesday it’s a damming indictment form the manager re Colak imo

For the record I think Colak will do well for us

Just a hunch i have, that i would not be surprised if Alfie starts on Tuesday.

MARK HATELEY has slated Rangers striker Antonio Colak for his display against Union Saint-Gilloise in the Champions League.

The Croatian frontman led the line for Giovanni van Bronckhorst's team in Belgium, but he failed to make an impact.

It was a poor display all-round by Rangers and van Bronckhorst admitted that the Govan outfit were well off the pace.

They now have it all to do in the second leg at Ibrox next week and Gers hero Hateley was not impressed.

He told the BBC Sportsound: “It was a poor, poor show. Weak and blunt.

“We don’t even know if Union’s back three are any good.

“Is the goalkeeper any good? We don’t know. Union figured Rangers out after 25 minutes.

"At the end of the day, Rangers are very, very lucky to come away with a 2-0 defeat.

“You could see a second goal coming all second half. Then you worry about the third goal.

“Colak, for me, was a waste of time. If Morelos is playing there, the ball goes into him. Colak didn’t demand the ball.”
Does Mark remember how his Rangers career started, we would have had him binned after the first couple of months...

Gio talked about it not been ideal playing Aribo up front at the end of the season as we had no fit strikers. We received around £25-30 million plus the money from Paterson, Gerrard and the Europa run and only spend £1.8 million on one striker knowing we have these crucial Champions League qualifiers with Morelos and Roofe still injured.

Quite frankly it is now irrelevant what Hateley did or didn't do in his time at Rangers.

He is simply commenting on a player's performance and contribution now.

And anyone with a set of eyes can see that - so far - it is not working with Colak.

We all hope he can turn it around but there seems to be a disconnect in the fit for our team when it comes to the type of striker Colak is. Hopefully the cohesion, fit, link up and fluency can improve asap. If not, it feels like Wilson has not thought this through with regard to what the team needs from a striker.
What did you think of Morelos's performance before he got injured?

Gio talked about it not been ideal playing Aribo up front at the end of the season as we had no fit strikers. We received around £25-30 million plus the money from Paterson, Gerrard and the Europa run and only spend £1.8 million on one striker knowing we have these crucial Champions League qualifiers with Morelos and Roofe still injured.
Yes, we should have brought quality in it's an area of the park where we are not clinical enough.

The huge distances between our midfield three and our isolated centre forward will make it a hard job for anyone bar Alfie.

I think it's incredibly harsh to be honest. We offered nothing in attack and we certainly didn't provide any service to Colak. He probably created one of our best, if only, chances but it should have been him in the middle rather than having to provide the service. He also did demand the ball on a regular basis - think only one time it was dinked through to him by Tillman.

Doubt big Mark would have put in a much better performance with the way the rest of the team was set up and playing.

On the rare chances he’s been given, he’s shown himself to be a very good finisher. Granted some haven’t stood but Blackpool (offside), Spurs (goal) and Livingston (offside) have all been very tidy finishes. He also actually works the back line well. Last night he didn’t but on Saturday I made a point from the stands of watching him and his movement was actually very good but on at least 3 occasions in the second half, we didn’t pick up on it. Kamara was the guilty party twice and instead of playing him in, he went to his old comfort blanket of working it out wide.

Further more, ive heard he is doing very well in training and his finishing is exceptional. I find it really bemusing he’s being made the whipping boy here when he’s getting next to nothing in service and the boss wants to play 3 defensive midfielders for nearly 70 mins last night.

Perhaps it should be the manager and the players behind him getting the grief here.

Who knows, maybe last night he was told to stay central and not to go looking for things until the ball was in and around the box? There’s a thought.
This! I've seen many posts basically saying that he's more like Itten than Morelos but I've seen quite a lot of good movement from him in the games I've been at in the flesh which is Morelos strongest attribute by far, but many seem to think he just stands about and does nothing. I doubt he will ever be as good as Morelos, but he's been signed as a similar backup for when Morelos isn't fit or suspended which is something we have simply never had. The problems currently lay with the service.

Just a hunch i have, that i would not be surprised if Alfie starts on Tuesday.

I’d be surprised. He’ll be nowhere near fit & there would be potential for a relapse and being out for longer. It would quite the gamble.

The hope will be Kent’s return provides opportunities for Colak.

Means it will more than likely be 0-0 on 60 mins if Colak starts

Two games in FFS.
Those comments say more about Hateley than they do about a new player settling into a new country.

There are plenty of examples of players with slow starts going on to be great for Rangers.
Also, there are examples of players who made great starts who turned out to be poor. Jeffers after the Porto game and Guivarch after he scored a couple on his debut spring to mind.
Hately himself!

Couldn't kick his own backside for a good long while after starting with us.

We then sold Bassey which meant the money had to go elsewhere

Barasic has started the season badly too, I think we might loan a left back to cover Ridvan and BB will go out on loan, possibly to Turkey

Why? Where will he be?
Don't know what club he will be with but Gio doesn't seem to have him in his long term plans. I honestly would be surprised if he is not away come the end of the window.

Personally I would have him figuring greatly in the squad, but I'm not the manager of course.

I agree with Hateley, if this guy makes it at Rangers I'll eat my car, he looks like another Herrera, Pena, or Kevin Kyle's less mobile younger brother. If Morelos, Roofe and Sakala are fit he'll spend most of the season warming the bench, maybe ten minutes at the end of league games that are already won, a start only in League Cup or Scottish cup against weak opposition. But I hope I'll be proved wrong.
Sakala looks out the picture and roofe will be lucky if he plays anywhere near 10 games this season.

Wee Tom the Commentator summed it up perfectly. “Colak being criticised by some people who should know better.” Nicely done Sir.

Good finish for the goal today and there one or two positive signs. He needs balls to attack and players need to support him, we are finding our feet as a team. I think he will do well for us long term

Back