Barisic - An Inexplicable Footballer

A genuine enigma. Second half tonight was reminiscent of him over in Antwerp in 2020 when he was taking on all comers and leading from the front. Yet at times in the first half he looked genuinely terrified to move forward. A great player on his day but an absolute enigma, and that’s not a bashing it’s a fair summary of him

There’s times when we need the enigma to go away and just be normal Borna. The players who can swing that wand of a left foot and ping a perfect cross in, tackle and snarl and boss wingers.

Sometimes he lacks courage, and when he does it batters his confidence to the point of total submission.

We can’t afford the passenger that his lack of confidence brings, but we have all the time in the world for the borna we all know he can be.

Hopefully the competition with yilmaz brings out his best again... Think we saw that when bassey was so good l last season

I cannot think of a game that encapsulated a Rangers player as much. Dreadful first half - the second half, he played like a proper leader.

This guy veers from poor to great like something I've never seen before. It's bizarre.
He was playing well when he got clattered and bounced back up.

If that's the first half he probably wants off.

fuming with him last week but he is a big reason we are through, fair play Borna.

I didnt think he started that badly. However, the crowd got on him for a backpass, and his confidence seemed to go. It was like he didnt want the ball towards the end of the first half. What a cross for the winner though. Maybe unintentional, but the ball seemed to hang in the air for an eternity, letting Tillman get ideally positioned.

I thought he was totally fine

Kent was doubled up constantly tonight. He had literally nothing to hit in front of him at times
There were plenty of occasions he had an easy pass to Kent, Lawrence, even Colak but does what he does most often and finds Goldson or The other centre back.
Not bizarre to me just incredibly frustrating.

I was raging at the cross that Tillman ended up scoring. Floated, way too high, should have been the keeper's all day long. Somehow we ended up scoring the goal that won the tie.
Genuinely laughed at the ball he put in. Couldn't believe it for a guy of his ability. I really like Borna but you can't get away from how eratic he can be.

Second half, he was clearly told to take the ball and move forward. Don't think he did it once in the first half.

First half I was slagging him for too much side-to-side, or back. Second half? I was going nuts when he made that cross for Tillman - I hate it when he stops, plant the right foot and swings the left all the way back! It’s always high, slow and comes down vertically OH OH YAAAAAASSSS

Sums up the big man. I’ll miss when he’s gone, but he can be infuriating!

Hope he can find some confidence long term.

He seemed to do that mad trance like stare, then decided to start playing. First half he wanted to constantly turn back, second he was flying at times.
There was a couple of times it was worth your rage but a lot of the time he had nothing to pass to. Kent just stood static while being marked & Lawrence wasn't much better in the 1st half. I'm not sure what you're expecting him to do? He's not dribbling by folks. His defending was fine tonight too.

He's a bit of a whipping boy for a lot & I'm not saying he's without fault but some of the pelters he gets is just moaning for the sake of it.

I thought he was totally fine

Kent was doubled up constantly tonight. He had literally nothing to hit in front of him at times
This was my thoughts.
Borna was always looking for the ball and he never hid.
USG looked to nullify Tav and Kent. It worked to an extent until other players stepped up.

Awful first half, great second half.

Genuinely don’t know what you’ll get off him.

Constantly playing the safe option and I’ve just really went off him as a player. Really can’t be bothered with the confidence crisis he has every game. Quicker yilmaz is in the better.
Won a pen and scored a goal from crosses in from him. Yilmaz was very nervous and looked poor his first game, don't get the clamour for him to come in straight away

Might get hate for this but he could man up a bit, he's like a scared wee boy at times, he's been at the club for years now, you think he would have a bit more about him and at times be does but other times it's like he's petrified, you never know what you are going to get with him.

The whole 1st half Kent kept turning back, hardly went forward and hardly ran inside to draw the defenders away to give Borna space to run into so he had nowt to pass to apart from backwards or sideways. Second half the opposite and I thought Borna was magnificent.

Barisic will always be capable of really good games but we’ve seen enough to know he isn’t good enough to start every week and that’s a problem we’ve now addressed.

Perfectly fine as a 2nd choice LB

There was a couple of times it was worth your rage but a lot of the time he had nothing to pass to. Kent just stood static while being marked & Lawrence wasn't much better in the 1st half. I'm not sure what you're expecting him to do? He's not dribbling by folks. His defending was fine tonight too.

He's a bit of a whipping boy for a lot & I'm not saying he's without fault but some of the pelters he gets is just moaning for the sake of it.

USG were letting him have the ball all night because they knew he wouldn't drive into space the way Tav does. As a fullback he's nowhere near good enough for us anymore IMO.

A puzzle wrapped in a conundrum wrapped in an enigma wrapped in flaky puff pastry.

Never seen a player that can veer so wildly from extremes of confidence, ability and drive over the course of one 90 minutes.

Back