International players who do not speak the language

Northampton_Loyalist

Ben Brereton Diaz is an Englishman who plays international football for Chile but who does not speak Spanish. Can you name any other international players that do not speak the language of the country they play for?

I'm not sure that Glen Kamara can speak Finnish.

In videos with the Finland national team he speaks in English when the other players speak in Finnish.

Not sure if you are serious or not. He definitely can speak Finnish.

Can you find any videos of him speaking Finnish?

He usually speaks English in the videos with Finland national team, I can't find any videos of him speaking Finnish.

He left Finland and moved to the UK at quite a young age.

Can you find any videos of him speaking Finnish?

He usually speaks English in the videos with Finland national team, I can't find any videos of him speaking Finnish.

He left Finland and moved to the UK at quite a young age.
I will try and find a video. There was one posted on here where he gave an interview sitting outside a sauna on a Finnish lake with a Finnish football journalist. They then went to the training centre and he was switching between English and Finnish

Lauren.

He played football for Cameroon because he was born there. But his parents were from Equatorial Guinea and he was raised in Seville so he couldn't speak French when he was first called up. He mentions it often when he does interviews.

In videos with the Finland national team he speaks in English when the other players speak in Finnish.

Seen a few similar videos to this with a guy who looks like Kamara and a Scandanavian woman.

He posted this in the summer. Think he's not fluent or confident, hence most interviews are in English (both his parents are immigrants and he moved to England when he was fairly young).

I was wondering a while ago what language the Swiss team use, seeing as how they’ve got 4 languages

Reactions: TQ3
Wouldn’t have thought guys like Gazza, Platt and nowadays Ferguson, Doig would be fluent in Italian passed Moretti, Rissoto and ciao belle

He posted this in the summer. Think he's not fluent or confident, hence most interviews are in English (both his parents are immigrants and he moved to England when he was fairly young).
He was still playing youth football in Finland until his mid-teens

Danny McGrain.

There are probably lots of republican idiots who choose to play for Ireland but can’t actually speak Irish.

Bit strange considering he lived there until at least 12/13 years old according to wiki

The Belgian national team apparently communicate in English because they naturally speak either Flemish or French, not both, so is easier for them to talk in English.
The Swiss national team must be a right language fest. French, Italian German so I guess English must kick in n a fair bit there too.

Think he's only recently learned it. As said, he done an interview with a Finnish journo not that long ago. Must have been his first as very considered in what he was saying.

He was still playing youth football in Finland until his mid-teens
According to the documentary he moved at 12. So immigrant parents, and only attendeing primary school could lead to a lack of confidence to be interviewed in Finnish. Now that he has taken the step though, perhaps he will use it more.

Back