Tottenham after Postecoglou

Status
Not open for further replies.
He bailed as soon as Gerrard put up the first fight he encountered up here. He wanted no part of being the Celtic manager who possibly lost "ra ten" to us. Soon as he saw we were getting our act together he sprinted for the exit.

Can't see him further risking his reputation against a resurgent Rangers under Beale.

Do you believe that?

He got a job offer in a better league with a bigger wage and larger player budget to spend, he'd won 6 trophies out of 6 and would have bagged another 3 if he stayed.

Hard to believe he bailed after a rare league defeat.

It’ll be Rodgers as first choice for sure
When the first wave of EPL sackings come in the autumn Rodgers will probably be first pick.

Not sure what he's got to gain from going back to Celtic? We'll be reinvigorated and better next season I'm sure of it, it's not the Rangers of Kiernan and Forrester he'd be facing - if he comes back and fails where does he go then?

You never know in football but it just wouldn't make much sense in terms of career choice for him.

Eh we didn't win the Europa League but did we?
I assume you would have given up our treble in 2003 for a defeat to Porto in Shavull?

We didn't, but we'll always have less chance of a Euro Final appearance than winning domestic trophies. We should be bigger than the parochialism of Scottish football.

Do you believe that?

He got a job offer in a better league with a bigger wage and larger player budget to spend, he'd won 6 trophies out of 6 and would have bagged another 3 if he stayed.

Hard to believe he bailed after a rare league defeat.

I don't believe he'd have walked if TIAR was going to be the procession it was in his first two seasons.

I don't believe he'd have walked if TIAR was going to be the procession it was in his first two seasons.
That’s the calculus for Postecoglu too. He can’t top a treble - the only way is down. And like Rodgers, he’ll know it’s much less of a given next season. He stays and he may do another treble but we don’t need to improve much and he’d be toast. And that’s before you consider his age. This is the time to walk.

Get to a final and lose it or dominate Scottish football every year and get free cracks at Champions League football?

Reach the latter stages every year of the Europa League, even some Finals, or being out of our depth and being dumped out early every season from the Champions League, mate.?

That’s the calculus for Postecoglu too. He can’t top a treble - the only way is down. And like Rodgers, he’ll know it’s much less of a given next season. He stays and he may do another treble but we don’t need to improve much and he’d be toast. And that’s before you consider his age. This is the time to walk.

Agreed. This is the peak of his powers at Celtic. He doesn't top this unless he does it again and gets out the CL group stage which given his European record doesn't seem likely.

If he progresses in Europe and we win the league it'll mean eff all in the grand scheme of things.

How much better can he make them ? They should've broke the points record this season and he couldn't motivate them to do so.

Reach the latter stages every year of the Europa League, even some Finals, or being out of our depth and being dumped out early every season from the Champions League, mate.?

You could also get Champions league money and get to the latter stages of the Europa.

Agreed. This is the peak of his powers at Celtic. He doesn't top this unless he does it again and gets out the CL group stage which given his European record doesn't seem likely.

If he progresses in Europe and we win the league it'll mean eff all in the grand scheme of things.

How much better can he make them ? They should've broke the points record this season and he couldn't motivate them to do so.
They won’t get a better chance of progress than last year.

You have moved the goalposts there mate.

Just trying to bring a wider perspective, mate. As a club of our size and history, we have woefully underperformed in Europe. That Europa League run to Seville totally regalvanised everyone connected to Rangers, and brought us incredible PR outside Scotland.

Just trying to bring a wider perspective, mate. As a club of our size and history, we have woefully underperformed in Europe. That Europa League run to Seville totally regalvanised everyone connected to Rangers, and brought us incredible PR outside Scotland.
We’ve woefully performed in Scotland - two trophies in ten years.

That takes priority over Europe for me until we’re back on top regularly.

It also helps that we’ve probably guaranteed ourselves at least Europa League groups for the next few years at least.

It also helps that we’ve probably guaranteed ourselves at least Europa League groups for the next few years at least.

We'll agree to disagree, and get back to thread of the Fat Man will he won't he go to Spurs. :))

We need both. The money makes the difference, we can't fall even further behind.

For goodness sake guys. 85 pages about the celtic manager, who is their mesiah, leaving and the pain it’s causing them. Can we please stop…..

The slow pace and get another 85 pages B-D

Between this thread, kerryfail and the spurs forum it's been great entertainment.

By the end of it I fully expect Lego Broon appointed with Popcorn teeth as head of recruitment.

We didn't, but we'll always have less chance of a Euro Final appearance than winning domestic trophies. We should be bigger than the parochialism of Scottish football.
The irony being that we've been totally unable to do much in the way of winning domestic trophies for some time now.
You haven't answered the question about 2003 I notice

Between this thread, kerryfail and the spurs forum it's been great entertainment.

By the end of it I fully expect Lego Broon appointed with Popcorn teeth as head of recruitment.
antonio-banderas.gif

The irony being that we've been totally unable to do much in the way of winning domestic trophies for some time now.
You haven't answered the question about 2003 I notice
I'd give up any domestic trophy we've won for a crack at a European trophy. The 2003 treble too. I guess most would given we've won over 100 domestic trophies and, embarrassingly, only 1 European trophy.

I'd give up any domestic trophy we've won for a crack at a European trophy. The 2003 treble too. I guess most would given we've won over 100 domestic trophies and, embarrassingly, only 1 European trophy.
So you would give up our 2003 treble to do what they did? Lose a final to Porto?
Thar was the question, nothing about having a crack....they lost.
You must have really loved the last few seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back