Pena: Pedro knew about my drink problems

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Rangers flop Carlos Pena reveals Pedro Caixinha knew about his alcohol problems
The Mexican has been in rehab and is determined to overcome his problems and return to playing football
    • Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha knew about his alcoholism ... and still signed him twice.

The Mexican midfielder has checked in to the Baja el Sol rehabilitation clinic in the Mexican state of Sinaloa for at least a month in a bid to recover from his addiction.

Pena, who still has two years of his Ibrox contract to go, insists he is determined to beat his demons and return to the form that saw him capped by his country.

And, in an interview on Mexican TV, Pena was asked whether flop former Rangers boss Caixinha - who signed him for the Ibrox side and took him on loan to current club Cruz Azul - was aware of the extent of his problems.

Pena said: "Pedro Caixinha knew about my issues, we were together for six months in Scotland so he was aware about my situation.

"I want to cleanse myself, that's why I have come here. I have a problem and I still have it, but I am getting treatment for it.

"The people here are wonderful. I have heard some incredible stories. They have made me feel valued again.

"I want to return to being a father, a husband, a son and a brother. I want to come out of this and be the best midfielder in Mexico again."

And Pena revealed why he decided to seek help for his troubles.

He said: "The days went by and I realised I had to do something. I made the decision with my wife. I'm here to clean up and do something with my life.

"For me, it was just alcohol. I've never taken drugs and I don't smoke. It wasn't that I drunk particularly large amounts of alcohol, but sometimes I was going out on a three-day session and going to parties too.

"I realised as an athlete I wasn't doing too well and I was having a hard time getting from box to box like I used to.

"And afterwards I was exhausted. I realised things had to change.

"It's a difficult step to recognise you have a problem. I thought everything was fine, but it wasn't. I won't be the first or last person with this problem.

"I left home when I was 13 to fulfil my dream of being a footballer and I've won titles and played in the World Cup.

"Now I want to get back to those days."

Caixinha himself insisted he was delighted Pena was on the mend, although refused to reveal whether he would take him back to Cruz Azul.

He pointed out: "Carlos is a great player and a huge human being and that's why I gave him not just one, but two opportunities.

"Sadly, for the situation that is now known, he didn't take them.

"I am so pleased he has taken this decision. I want him to recover as a man and as a player. I wish him the best from the bottom of my heart."

I can understand Pedro wanting to give him the chance to make something of him self over here and I really want Pena to succeed regardless of where he ends up, having a drinking problem must be extricating to deal with especially when you have the amount of talent he is believed to have.

that said, I find it slightly concerning that the transfer was sanctioned by our board if they also were aware of his problems

Hopefully he gets the help needed

Like you, sh3lldon, I hope he gets help, and can overcome his addiction.

But one part of his interview stuck out for me - "I want to return to being a father, a husband, a son and a brother. I want to come out of this and be the best midfielder in Mexico again."

Let's hope we can negotiate a severance deal for him, and use the money to get someone in who will improve the team.

How often do you see a player that has done nothing in years get signed up because this time it"might" just work?

We aren't the first team that it's happened to and we won't be the last.

I wish Pena well.

I liked Pena in the hole of the Diamond formation, he offered something else. Proved to be clinical in the box, if he gets help and sorts himself out, id be willing to give him another shot with us.
There were times when he played when his link up play with Morelos was the best I had seen all season from any player playing behind Morelos. Ok, it didn't happen nearly enough and his appearances were limited to say the least. But in flashes it was clear that on his day and in optimum condition the guy is a player.

A fully fit and fully focused Pena is easily one of the best and most talented players in the SPL - but it seems we will never see this.

There were times when he played when his link up play with Morelos was the best I had seen all season from any player playing behind Morelos. Ok, it didn't happen nearly enough and his appearances were limited to say the least. But in flashes it was clear that on his day and in optimum condition the guy is a player.

A fully fit and fully focused Pena is easily one of the best and most talented players in the SPL - but it seems we will never see this.
I would agree with this comment. Some of his play was superb, the vision in his play is something that is hard to find.

Difficult to see a way forward for Pena in Scotland after rehab, be difficult enough in Mexico with family support but near impossible without support. Maybe wrong but who knows.

One of the main ways to get over an afdiction or a mental health issue is to know your supported. Maybe that’s what PC was giving him. But you have to support yourself. It’s really quite easy to nod your head when you're being shown support yet in your mind you’re not supporting yourself or showing yourself that you believe you can win out. It’s also very easy to tell yourself you’re better without giving yourself enough to time to live an improved life.

The only way Pena will get over this is if he wants to. He says all the right things in that article but only he knows if he believes what he’s saying. If not, there’s nothing else anyone can do for him.

Personally, I’d be happy enough if he came out the others side and SG trialled him for a while. But equally I think the club need to set sone budget aside to pay him off. If he doesnt come out the other end and/or his trial bombs.

I wish him well. But I have to quesrion whether the club will support him beyond his contract.

It was well known that he was boozing in the city daily. The club knew. KM got demoted to the youths when he challenged PC and the player in front of the squad. Sad that it's came to this however it's down to PC who signed him. It was a dereliction on his part.

He isn't the first player with a drink problem and he wont be the last.

It's how we deal with it as a club that counts,for better or worse he is still a Ranger.

If he can slay his demons there is still a quality player in him waiting to be given a chance.

Without sounding like a broken record this was well documented before we signed him, so why did we sanction this signing.

Good luck to him and I hope he recovers fully but this is one hell of an expensive mistake.

His comments in the article seem to be suggesting Pedro knew about his drinking from the point he was with us to signing him at Cruz Azul.

That is different from us sanctioning the signing at that time.

However, it would appear he had a bit of a party boy image back then too.

Football clubs and managers take all sorts of risks on players because they think they'll be the ones to snap the player into line or somehow miraculously return them to the heights they hit before.

We likely signed off on it as we were desperate to take a leap forward in our plans.

It's similar to signing Niko and Barton. Both were well passed their best but we signed off on those to try and move us on a bit.

Hopefully the solution with Pena is that he does recover and we manage to get some fee back on him as it's clear he's not coming back here.

I would love for him to get help, stay sober for years to come, come back to us and be a roaring success...

sadly i don't think it'll pan out that way

I'm not going to sink the boot in to him or Pedro or anyone connected with this. It's not a time for point scoring "a telt ye back then..." - bollocks to that. Addiction is a terrible thing. And there can't be many families in our country who haven't suffered from the blight of alcoholism, one way or another.
I hope Pena has success in getting the help he needs.

Rangers flop Carlos Pena reveals Pedro Caixinha knew about his alcohol problems
The Mexican has been in rehab and is determined to overcome his problems and return to playing football
    • Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha knew about his alcoholism ... and still signed him twice.

The Mexican midfielder has checked in to the Baja el Sol rehabilitation clinic in the Mexican state of Sinaloa for at least a month in a bid to recover from his addiction.

Pena, who still has two years of his Ibrox contract to go, insists he is determined to beat his demons and return to the form that saw him capped by his country.

And, in an interview on Mexican TV, Pena was asked whether flop former Rangers boss Caixinha - who signed him for the Ibrox side and took him on loan to current club Cruz Azul - was aware of the extent of his problems.

Pena said: "Pedro Caixinha knew about my issues, we were together for six months in Scotland so he was aware about my situation.

"I want to cleanse myself, that's why I have come here. I have a problem and I still have it, but I am getting treatment for it.

"The people here are wonderful. I have heard some incredible stories. They have made me feel valued again.

"I want to return to being a father, a husband, a son and a brother. I want to come out of this and be the best midfielder in Mexico again."

And Pena revealed why he decided to seek help for his troubles.

He said: "The days went by and I realised I had to do something. I made the decision with my wife. I'm here to clean up and do something with my life.

"For me, it was just alcohol. I've never taken drugs and I don't smoke. It wasn't that I drunk particularly large amounts of alcohol, but sometimes I was going out on a three-day session and going to parties too.

"I realised as an athlete I wasn't doing too well and I was having a hard time getting from box to box like I used to.

"And afterwards I was exhausted. I realised things had to change.

"It's a difficult step to recognise you have a problem. I thought everything was fine, but it wasn't. I won't be the first or last person with this problem.

"I left home when I was 13 to fulfil my dream of being a footballer and I've won titles and played in the World Cup.

"Now I want to get back to those days."

Caixinha himself insisted he was delighted Pena was on the mend, although refused to reveal whether he would take him back to Cruz Azul.

He pointed out: "Carlos is a great player and a huge human being and that's why I gave him not just one, but two opportunities.

"Sadly, for the situation that is now known, he didn't take them.

"I am so pleased he has taken this decision. I want him to recover as a man and as a player. I wish him the best from the bottom of my heart."
There’s the talk of an alcoholic right there. Don’t get me wrong, I love partying but at least recognise the issue.

He talks about running box to box in the article?
He could barely run the length of the centre circle.
But when he was in the box he was great at finding space and a superb finisher.
He was like an immobile Tom Rogic.

Even if he recovers, I don't see him coming back. Being over here on his own probably worsened his problem, IMO.

Hopefully he can get the help he needs and we can recoup some of the cash we wasted on him.

Speaks volumes for how shite we were last year that a pisshead with zero fitness was coming off the bench and contributing more than the cowards already on the pitch.

It's not Pena that should feel the shame, it's the rest of them.

Couldn't agree more with this.

Pedro knew about his drink problem? Why is this news?

Everyone knew about his drink problem, it was well documented before he even kicked a ball.

I understand why Pedro took a punt on Pena. Pena had quality which few players have.

Were it not for Pena's drink problems he would never have been here. We could never have afforded him.

True mate, there where a few passes he played against Aberdeen that where on a different level and the sort of vision you just cant teach someone, he also managed 5 goals during all the chaos.

Who knows if he can get his head right he obvs was a good player at one point and a few months in rehab and training hard maybe we will get a different player back.

Back