Pena: Pedro knew about my drink problems

I am all for giving guys a second chance, if he sorts his problems out and SG thinks he can get him back to his best then why not?, ultimately it will be up to SG if he stays!

True mate, there where a few passes he played against Aberdeen that where on a different level and the sort of vision you just cant teach someone, he also managed 5 goals during all the chaos.

Who knows if he can get his head right he obvs was a good player at one point and a few months in rehab and training hard maybe we will get a different player back.
At times, him and Morelos seemed to have a telepathic understanding and their movement was an absolute joy to watch. Just wish we had seen more of it.

Pena is one of these players who sees things that others don't and he anticipates things that most don't. That's a special talent to have and something you naturally either have or haven't got. For his sake I hope he gets his issues sorted and gets back to showing what a player he can be when fully fit and focused. I hate seeing players waste away their natural talent.

I guess Pedro thought he could change him but he simply didn't have the experience or ability to do that. Shame, as without his problems Pena could be a very decent player.

The rehab centre is in Sinaloa? He will be coming back with a few more addictions at this rate.

Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha knew about his alcoholism ... and still signed him twice.

Pena said: "Pedro Caixinha knew about my issues, we were together for six months in Scotland so he was aware about my situation.

Journalists talking shite as usual!!!

Clearly Pedro never knew until he came to Scotland.

Posters on here said they saw him in Glasgow absolutely pissed, and I mean regular posters who have been on FF for years and were accused of being liars.

Some people on FF just seems to want to ignore any negative news at the club rather than deal with it.

Like Stella off a duck's back mate!

I sincerely wish the guy well though.

In any other walk of life you get f out the door.
No you absolutely don’t. Maybe in bygone days but not now.

My Mrs worked with a guy who had a prescription drug addiction. He was eventually fired but not before the company gave him every opportunity to clean himself up, put him in rehab, gave him as much support as was realistically possible, all while on full salary, before eventually paying him off as he simply couldn’t beat his demons.

No you absolutely don’t. Maybe in bygone days but not now.

My Mrs worked with a guy who had a prescription drug addiction. He was eventually fired but not before the company gave him every opportunity to clean himself up, put him in rehab, gave him as much support as was realistically possible, all while on full salary, before eventually paying him off as he simply couldn’t beat his demons.
Work places nowadays need to be seen to be actively helping employees not just punting them our the door.

I'm not going to sink the boot in to him or Pedro or anyone connected with this. It's not a time for point scoring "a telt ye back then..." - bollocks to that. Addiction is a terrible thing. And there can't be many families in our country who haven't suffered from the blight of alcoholism, one way or another.
I hope Pena has success in getting the help he needs.

I agree with most of that. In fact, my reading of this thread doesn't seem that too many of us are judging Pena for having a problem with alcohol.

My issue is why we signed him at all. Who authorised this, if it is in fact true that Pedro knew about his alcoholism and decided to give him a wee chance? That's all good and well giving somebody a chance, but you do that on a pay as you play contract, not £2m a year or whatever it is we are supposed to paying him.

Wonder if some on FF are still demanding photographic evidence to support his many nights on the swally in Glasgow?

I don’t think you can blame people for being sceptical though, the forum is loaded with bullshitters and attention seekers and in this day and age you very rarely have these sorts of goings on without videos and pictures being plastered all over social media.

Ultimately the stories appeared to be true, but I see why people wanted proof.

Bottom line is, I hope the guy gets help. I’d be stunned if he’s ever given another crack at playing for Rangers though. One thing that does disturb me, is that whilst struggling with alcoholism he was still a far bigger goal threat than just about every player in our team at that time.

No way we will get a deal for him.

Best that he overcomes his addiction and comes back determined to fight for a place in the squad.

We saw, in glimpses, that he has talent.

The guy needs help and I hope the treatment he is getting works for him

There is the question of who sanctioned his purchase knowing there was an issue with alcoholism

Posters on here said they saw him in Glasgow absolutely pissed, and I mean regular posters who have been on FF for years and were accused of being liars.

Some people on FF just seems to want to ignore any negative news at the club rather than deal with it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

This is easy to say after the narrative falls into place, but there is so much shîte and lies posted on here that it's not exactly easy to decipher what is real and what isn't. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut feeling on a rumour and sometimes it's wrong.

If there's an unfounded negative rumour about our team the majority of the time I'll err on the side of caution and dismiss it until proven otherwise, because fück being like some of the miserable cünts on here that take every negative as gospel the moment a rumour tickles their earhole.

For what it's worth, I wasn't convinced either way about @Worthy_Candidate's original posts on Peña, but i'll trust his judgement if he sees any of our players pished in the future :)

I can understand Pedro wanting to give him the chance to make something of him self over here and I really want Pena to succeed regardless of where he ends up, having a drinking problem must be extricating to deal with especially when you have the amount of talent he is believed to have.

that said, I find it slightly concerning that the transfer was sanctioned by our board if they also were aware of his problems
Slightly concerning!!, i find it inexuseable.
Someone either in house or passed to another company should do the personal, fitness background checks etc.
We arent overflowing with money to squander.
This is really important with latin american and african players.

Without sounding like a broken record this was well documented before we signed him, so why did we sanction this signing.

Good luck to him and I hope he recovers fully but this is one hell of an expensive mistake.

I wish him well too, but to offer a risky player like Peña a four year deal was crazy. One year plus options if he sorted himself out would have made more sense to me.

Hope the guy gets over his addiction problem.

Did Pedro disclose to the Rangers board he was an alcoholic?

Pena will never recover the box to box player he was as a youngster before the drink took hold, that’s gone even if he gets clean.

PQBzXZG.jpg

I hope he conquers his demons and finds another club.

He burned his bridges at Ibrox, the day he wiped his nose with a pair of Rangers shorts.

I'm not going to sink the boot in to him or Pedro or anyone connected with this. It's not a time for point scoring "a telt ye back then..." - bollocks to that. Addiction is a terrible thing. And there can't be many families in our country who haven't suffered from the blight of alcoholism, one way or another.
I hope Pena has success in getting the help he needs.
Alcoholism is self inflicted as is smoking related diseases.

Slightly concerning!!, i find it inexuseable.
Someone either in house or passed to another company should do the personal, fitness background checks etc.
We arent overflowing with money to squander.
This is really important with latin american and african players.

I was trying to be polite. Agreed

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

This is easy to say after the narrative falls into place, but there is so much shîte and lies posted on here that it's not exactly easy to decipher what is real and what isn't. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut feeling on a rumour and sometimes it's wrong.

If there's an unfounded negative rumour about our team the majority of the time I'll err on the side of caution and dismiss it until proven otherwise, because fück being like some of the miserable cünts on here that take every negative as gospel the moment a rumour tickles their earhole.

For what it's worth, I wasn't convinced either way about @Worthy_Candidate's original posts on Peña, but i'll trust his judgement if he sees any of our players pished in the future :)

I was a grass, a liar, a media puppet, a fantasist and just when I thought it might not come, aTimposter!

There's yer set of steak knives right there!

Nearly 25 years on here and some erse who was probably in nappies when I signed up for FF eventually susses me out as a mentally challenged!

It was quite amusing replying to the cerebrally challenged all the same.

In some shape or form we have been helping a lot of people, in times like we are going through we need to toughen up simple.

The guy’s boozing was fairly well known about - city centre and places out by Auchenhowie after training.

It’s a bit of a mystery that the club aren’t made aware of that and do something about it, like get the player some help when we have an HR function that falls over itself to get involved in dressing room squabbles.

There is a good footballer in there - whether Rangers could or should take the risk of waiting until he improves his relationship with alcohol to see whether he can be that footballer is the big question. That you are dealing with a city where booze and adulation of footballers go hand in hand then I wouldn’t expect it to go smoothly.

I was a grass, a liar, a media puppet, a fantasist and just when I thought it might not come, aTimposter!

There's yer set of steak knives right there!

Nearly 25 years on here and some erse who was probably in nappies when I signed up for FF eventually susses me out as a mentally challenged!

It was quite amusing replying to the cerebrally challenged all the same.

To be fair, we're all here because we love Rangers. It's natural to get a bit hostile when someone says something (that can be perceived as) negative about what you love, even if it's true.

Some people do get really hostile right enough :D

Looking forward to us having to pay off his contract and him signing for a s3cond division Mexican team.

Like Stella off a duck's back mate!

I sincerely wish the guy well though.

Worthy he WAS a good player a very good one, however he was abusing his own talent by leading the Party life. For us to sign him and bring him to Glasgow was mental and a risk we shouldn’t have sanctioned.

So Pedro knew he had a real drink problem and still signed him, what a shock.

Next we will find out Pedro knew the Herrera was done and still signed him.

No way we will get a deal for him.

Best that he overcomes his addiction and comes back determined to fight for a place in the squad.

We saw, in glimpses, that he has talent.
Especially his talent for blowing his nose on a pair of Rangers shorts.... or was that a corner flag..like some filthy bastard from the east side of Glasgow. Sorry but its a no from me, an affliction is no excuse for the nose blowing episode.

To be fair mate, we also had posters claiming the guy was a cokehead and was regularly snorting lines in nightclubs.

Like you, sh3lldon, I hope he gets help, and can overcome his addiction.

But one part of his interview stuck out for me - "I want to return to being a father, a husband, a son and a brother. I want to come out of this and be the best midfielder in Mexico again."

Let's hope we can negotiate a severance deal for him, and use the money to get someone in who will improve the team.
I hope we don't give him a penny. Sell him, sure. Failing that get him back here and be on his case 24 hours a day until he is performing or we sicken him with constant fines for misdemeanours. We are not a charity and I certainly don't want my season ticket money paying off the latest chancer who passed our way.

Schrödinger‘s Mexican according to some on here. Simultaneously doesn’t have a drink problem but needs help for a drink problem.

Good luck to him anyway but one of our worst ever signings given the context.

It's easy to criticise Pedro for bringing him here while knowing full well about the demons he was fighting.

However I compare it with Walter Smith signing Gazza. One worked, one hasn't worked so far. But you never know. If the club and fans get behind Pena and we really give him the support he needs, we might just have another gem on our hands.

Whoever sanctioned this deal should be shown the door.

It's a level of madness that trumps any hubristic Murray signing or wasteful, unimaginative McCoist signing.

It was plain and simple stupidity.

No way Pedro would have told the board the player was an alcoholic, if so our board would have shot the signing of him down in flames.Especially with the wages he's on.
I don't think there's a hope in hell, that well see him in a Rangers jersey again, especially under the new boss, his days are numbered.

Did Pedro raise the issue of penas alcoholism with the people signing the cheques?

What level of corporate governance do we have in our club when a flakey unproven manager can come in, bring in a guy with a known problem for what? £2.2m and £28k per week?

Did he pass a medical? Surely any assessment of a player is not just fitness and flexibility? Surely any assessment of a player who comes in is the whole person? Did Pena lie when asked (if asked) how much alcohol do you drink per week?

Ok we fucked up. Pedros a dick and Penas a jakey. Who cares? Well I care, I care even more if we have not learned the lessons from this fucking shambles.

I wish him well, I hope he learns to manage it I really do but who in our management/ commercial team made such a complete and utter James Blunt of it?

Back