Pena: Pedro knew about my drink problems

It's easy to criticise Pedro for bringing him here while knowing full well about the demons he was fighting.

However I compare it with Walter Smith signing Gazza. One worked, one hasn't worked so far. But you never know. If the club and fans get behind Pena and we really give him the support he needs, we might just have another gem on our hands.
This right here is why everycunt up and down the country takes the piss out of us

Imagine he got off it and came back and trained like a demon and was like the old Pena who played for Mexico.

You never know ;)

It would be the dream scenario but I don't think being in Scotland is best for him. I think he will look for something closer to his family in Mexico, I think he will need that support.

Hopefully Pena gets his life back on track, don't reckon he will set foot in Scotland again though.

Two words,Jim Baxter.
Another two words,George Best.

Football was a completely different time back then, you could get away with playing hungover quite clearly. You cannot do that nowadays as seen by almost every game you watch. Even terrible teams are fit. Pena stood out a mile as being the unfittest player on the park anytime he played.

Regarding Baxter and Best, how is their health now?

PQBzXZG.jpg

I hope he conquers his demons and finds another club.

He burned his bridges at Ibrox, the day he wiped his nose with a pair of Rangers shorts.

I would pay him off but for the record those are Cruz Azul shorts.

Pedro basically sacrificed his Rangers career for Pena, and Herrera to a lesser extent. Wise usage of the relatively huge output on these two would likely have seen him do enough to get second place and probably another chance for the coming season.

I find it slightly concerning that the transfer was sanctioned by our board if they also were aware of his problems

It was hugely concerning and why I feel it’s one of the most ill advised bits of business we’ve ever done.

It’s not an excuse for the club to claim they were unaware of the extent of his problems - it’s their job to know this, to complete due diligence on transfer targets, especially when we were shelling out such a comparatively hefty chunk of our transfer resources on him.

Stories of his party boy lifestyle weren’t difficult to come by and as much as I understand the club wanted to be seen to back the manager, there should have been big question marks about signing off on Peña, especially after the disaster of Barton the previous season.

Is it possible he will want to give it another shot under the management of Steven Gerrard?

Hey Pedro you want to give some one a chance and help them out - do it with your own fucking money not ours. We pay to see the best we can afford on the park not to play Betty ford in the hope it all works out for the best - disgraceful decision to sign him especially on that money.

You want to help him sign him on a pay as you play basis the whole of Mexico seemingly turned their noses up at him and you think you're going to come down off the cross and save him.... whoever sanctioned this whole cluster %^*& needs their head examined in the same place as Pena

That's not true.

It is in some but we’ve got ourselves to blame. He came withone objective. To get back to Mexico ASAP with as much money as possible. The shorts incident is intentional burning of bridges with agent advice no doubt. He’s playing the system. Give him his pay off and I hope he doesn’t find another club again. Hard working folk here and in Mexico have been feathering the ingrates nest. Hope his career is f*ck**. As for Pedro saying “he” gave him 2 chances that shows his lack of awareness and over inflated ego. Hope Mexico get papped out the World Cup in the first round. End of rant.

I was a grass, a liar, a media puppet, a fantasist and just when I thought it might not come, aTimposter!

There's yer set of steak knives right there!

Nearly 25 years on here and some erse who was probably in nappies when I signed up for FF eventually susses me out as a mentally challenged!

It was quite amusing replying to the cerebrally challenged all the same.

Don't let the mentalists and ostriches get you down, pal. I appreciate posters like yourself sharing what you know!

At the moment, I don't rate him.

If he returned with a new attitude and found his form, I'd be delighted.

For the timebeing though, he's come to our club and took a wage and offered nothing in return. He's got a lot of making up to our support to do.

As sympathetic as I am to anyone struggling with an addiction we really should be going after him to recover any wages wasted on him. In fact I'm not even sure it is an addiction. From that interview it just sounds rather childish especially from someone in his position. An addiction is something that you can't control. He said he only has a problem with the odd 2 or 3 day benders which means he obviously isn't physically addicted so sounds more like self control problems.

He won't be short of money as it is and to be perfectly honest he was paid large amounts of money to basically come over and get pished. Obviously the transfer fee is gone unless it can be discovered his former club didn't disclose any issues which by the sounds of it they could have as it seemed well known but at the very least he should be made to pay back most of the wages we paid.

The guy stands next to no chance of beating this living in a hotel thousands of miles from his family. I don't think he will be back at Rangers in any useful capacity.

I normally have enormous empathy for those with addiction issues,having known a few very sad cases,but there are 26k reasons why I'm struggling with Pena.
People I knew couldn't afford the most basic of thing,never mind private healthcare.

Apologies if that sounds crass.

With all due respect none of you have any idea of the extent of his addiction or any real right to pass judgement on his personal problem. Additionally, anyone wanting the club to run him into the ground in order to force him out needs their head sorted, that’s scum behaviour which would reflect horribly on us as a club and employer.

At the end of the day you can root all this shite back to Park and Robertson deciding a Portuguese coach operating in the Qatari league (with a fairly shite CV) was a suitable candidate to come in and manage Rangers at a crucial time in our road back to the top. All off the back of talking a good game and knowing his way around a PowerPoint presentation.

EVERYONE in Mexico was aware of his problems. I pointed it out on a thread before we even signed him and the thread was hijacked by the usual clowns.

For all the talk of his lack of fitness it was his lack of a first touch that was the biggest concern for me. He struggled to get the ball out from under his feet far too often and was atrocious taking the ball with his back to someone, almost always losing it.

It was hugely concerning and why I feel it’s one of the most ill advised bits of business we’ve ever done.

It’s not an excuse for the club to claim they were unaware of the extent of his problems - it’s their job to know this, to complete due diligence on transfer targets, especially when we were shelling out such a comparatively hefty chunk of our transfer resources on him.

Stories of his party boy lifestyle weren’t difficult to come by and as much as I understand the club wanted to be seen to back the manager, there should have been big question marks about signing off on Peña, especially after the disaster of Barton the previous season.

I dont see how they can claim not have known if he had a medical. I doubt there's an alkie on the planet that doesnt have abnormal LFTs so even if he had a run of the mill blood test it would show up something was out even if just slightly.

If I was the club, Id be looking at just how this got by them and if need be go after Pedro for compensation if there was anything underhand.

And people keep saying they hope he gets the help he needs. Hes loaded, the last club offered to pay for his rehab. He has more opportunities and access to help than most addicts. This is solely his call, he will be able to access it no problem if he wants. I'm still not convinced hes an addict, more someone who likes the party lifestyle.

Last edited:
Rangers flop Carlos Pena reveals Pedro Caixinha knew about his alcohol problems
The Mexican has been in rehab and is determined to overcome his problems and return to playing football
    • Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha knew about his alcoholism ... and still signed him twice.

The Mexican midfielder has checked in to the Baja el Sol rehabilitation clinic in the Mexican state of Sinaloa for at least a month in a bid to recover from his addiction.

Pena, who still has two years of his Ibrox contract to go, insists he is determined to beat his demons and return to the form that saw him capped by his country.

And, in an interview on Mexican TV, Pena was asked whether flop former Rangers boss Caixinha - who signed him for the Ibrox side and took him on loan to current club Cruz Azul - was aware of the extent of his problems.

Pena said: "Pedro Caixinha knew about my issues, we were together for six months in Scotland so he was aware about my situation.

"I want to cleanse myself, that's why I have come here. I have a problem and I still have it, but I am getting treatment for it.

"The people here are wonderful. I have heard some incredible stories. They have made me feel valued again.

"I want to return to being a father, a husband, a son and a brother. I want to come out of this and be the best midfielder in Mexico again."

And Pena revealed why he decided to seek help for his troubles.

He said: "The days went by and I realised I had to do something. I made the decision with my wife. I'm here to clean up and do something with my life.

"For me, it was just alcohol. I've never taken drugs and I don't smoke. It wasn't that I drunk particularly large amounts of alcohol, but sometimes I was going out on a three-day session and going to parties too.

"I realised as an athlete I wasn't doing too well and I was having a hard time getting from box to box like I used to.

"And afterwards I was exhausted. I realised things had to change.

"It's a difficult step to recognise you have a problem. I thought everything was fine, but it wasn't. I won't be the first or last person with this problem.

"I left home when I was 13 to fulfil my dream of being a footballer and I've won titles and played in the World Cup.

"Now I want to get back to those days."

Caixinha himself insisted he was delighted Pena was on the mend, although refused to reveal whether he would take him back to Cruz Azul.

He pointed out: "Carlos is a great player and a huge human being and that's why I gave him not just one, but two opportunities.

"Sadly, for the situation that is now known, he didn't take them.

"I am so pleased he has taken this decision. I want him to recover as a man and as a player. I wish him the best from the bottom of my heart."

Good luck Carlos in your battle

Posters on here said they saw him in Glasgow absolutely pissed, and I mean regular posters who have been on FF for years and were accused of being liars.

Some people on FF just seems to want to ignore any negative news at the club rather than deal with it.

Was about to say, even after reading the OP, you’ll get folk on here still needing further proof :D.

Mental that everyone knew about this and about his reputation, yet the Board sanctioned it and most on here wanked themselves into a frenzy.

It's easy to criticise Pedro for bringing him here while knowing full well about the demons he was fighting.

However I compare it with Walter Smith signing Gazza. One worked, one hasn't worked so far. But you never know. If the club and fans get behind Pena and we really give him the support he needs, we might just have another gem on our hands.

I was thinking about Paul Gascoigne when reading this earlier - certainly by the time Gascoigne was at Lazio and Graham Taylor was talking about his “refuelling problems” it was quite an open secret that the player’s boozing was an issue.

Nobody wearing a Rangers scarf gave a thought to it when he was unveiled and then started destroying the opposition on Scotland though. Only once the injuries mounted and the off the field drama overtook the back page headlines did we start questioning it.

And still he was transferred to Middlesbrough and then as an open alcoholic to Everton to sign for a manager who knew exactly what he was dealing with.

Whether 18 years later a football club will turn such a blind eye to a player’s addiction problems on the basis that the manager thinks he is a great guy...I would hope not.

Last edited:
I wish the guy well and hope and pray he beats his demons for not only his but his families sake. Sometimes in life there are more important things than football and this is one of them.

Back