The old Rangers end at the Knew Camp

The 79 (4-2) game was the worst I’ve seen for bottle throwing from the back of the Rangers end onto our own fans. It was carnage at the end of the game and a guy from school got hit on the head, he never fully recovered and died a few years later.

I was fortunate enough to have experienced the bedlam in that end in amongst 20,000 bears when we scored
Just wondering other older bears thoughts are on it
Was talking to my lad about this the other day, it was brilliant when we were winning, shite when the bottles came down or someone pished on your leg :))

Only went once to see us play them but saw us in 3 cup finals pre-redevelopment. I born in 1980 so was dependent on my old man taking me and my mum was dead against it.

It was 4v2 Ne’er day win in 94 and my old man had managed to convince my mum that it’d be fine and he would make sure he was with me all game. He got absolutely smashed in a pub before the game and ended up falling asleep on the supporters bus so I ended up going into the ground with a bloke and who had his kids with him. I had no idea where I was going once we got in and immediately got split up. I went down the front as I couldn’t see anything at the back and then realised I could hardly see the pitch but was stuck there.

Bedlam doesn’t really cover what it was like in there for a 13 year old used to sitting in the Copland!

Wish I’d been able to experience it more often but my next OF away match against them was at Hampden.

Loved every time I was there.
Taking over the whole Springfield cross.
Great days.
Remember before they developed the area for the commonwealth games. Sitting on a bench overlooking Springfield cross with our pre match carry out and as you said the place was full of bears. Changed days indeed.

Its difficult to explain just what a dump the piggery was back then, tbh.

My bruv, my son and I went to a Glasgow Cup final at the mhankery in May 87, it was basically reduced to a reserve game. I think they won 2-1, with a Stuart Beattie own goal. (It could easily be the other way around)

Waiting to get in at the turnstiles, there was a dead bird hanging from some rails above the turnstile we were going into.

Could be the best place in the world to be or the worst. Have a vivid memory of seeing them score at the other end one time and you saw them bouncing a second before the roar hits you. A surreal experience but thankfully saw more victories than defeats.
I always maintain they made a different sound when they scored a goal compared to us. :))
There's was more a higher pitched snarl directed at us !!
And ours more of a joyous roar .. :p

The same day as The Hillsborough Disaster was the worst I'd experienced at that place and we weren't even playing the peasants.
Never forget that day,we were in the jungle,news was filtering through about Hillsborough.I genuinely feared the worst.
But all credit to Strathclyde police,no messing about .They moved the away fans(think it was St Johnstone) over to a wee corner and opened up the Celtic end and emptied out the Jungle and Rangers end.
It could’ve been bad.

My bruv, my son and I went to a Glasgow Cup final at the mhankery in May 87, it was basically reduced to a reserve game. I think they won 2-1, with a Stuart Beattie own goal. (It could easily be the other way around)

Waiting to get in at the turnstiles, there was a dead bird hanging from some rails above the turnstile we were going into.
Was it fowl play ?

An occasion never too be experienced again,Must have been in the shitpit half a dozen times before I knew their was a bog in the terracing,In the couple of seasons before Souness came attendance were dropping and it wasn’t a busy so there was room to move about and I discovered it by chance.

I was fortunate enough to have experienced the bedlam in that end in amongst 20,000 bears when we scored
Just wondering other older bears thoughts are on it
I loved it, was at most OF games there from 1980 until the stands were built. Slipped the guys at the turnstile couple of quid to a fiver and they’d just let you climb over. I think I done that 50% of the games I went too. Get past the cops. yer in.

Walking up London Rd from Bridgeton was great even better returning after a win .
The further up you got they started to cross over and knew what was coming coins and old milk bottles lol.

Then they changed it and sent us into Kinnear road and in turn into Nuneaton street where their buses parked it was carnage ;)B-)

Some great memories , from our first win there in 9 years in 89 to the NY 94 game 3-0 in 20 minutes and the the first time I witnessed pyro at our games a guy next to me lit one up back of the Janfield end, what a day!

An occasion never too be experienced again,Must have been in the shitpit half a dozen times before I knew their was a bog in the terracing,In the couple of seasons before Souness came attendance were dropping and it wasn’t a busy so there was room to move about and I discovered it by chance.
The mhanks were at it with attendances, opposite from now, been there and you couldn't move. Tims would say 53000 were there

The same day as The Hillsborough Disaster was the worst I'd experienced at that place and we weren't even playing the peasants.
Frightening day. I was in a small crush before the game started whilst trying to run into the jungle from the west terracing. As a consequence I missed the worst crush when the wall collapsed and loads of bears ended up on the running track.

Probably wildest memory when the polis tried to take a union flag off a guy (because it was on a cane) near the front bit of aggro started big surge towards the police thought it was going to kick off big time. Reminded me of my Dad telling me of the time the mounted police went into the Rangers end. Only time I never went on the supporters bus remember walking back into town getting to the Barras and the Rangers fans attacking a pub there then throwing anything they could get their hands on at their buses as they went through Glasgow Cross.
Cup game, late 80s, Hurlock, Walters and Hateley sent off?

Some great memories , from our first win there in 9 years in 89 to the NY 94 game 3-0 in 20 minutes and the the first time I witnessed pyro at our games a guy next to me lit one up back of the Janfield end, what a day!
You must have been pretty near me in ‘94. I’m sure it was like a big old-school distress flare that you’d have on a boat!

Has the pleasure of seeing a number of Rangers goals there, though never see us win there.

Always surprised that there was never a disaster there as it was a death trap due to overcrowding.

Well named the piggery, total sh’thole of a ground.
Horrible stadium and it still is!

Back