The old Rangers end at the Knew Camp

Dodging the bricks thrown from the bridges, watching the bus windows been tanned in as they slowed down at junctions then walking around cut down tree trunks to get into their shithole of a stadium. Parkheads a piggery and reminding them they were nonces.

A great day out.

One and only time I was ever there was standing just by the tunnel when we had half of the enclosure...Didn't even have to pay as my mates uncle was a policeman who kindly let us in before anybody else.

The same day as The Hillsborough Disaster was the worst I'd experienced at that place and we weren't even playing the peasants.
I was sitting in the new main stand with my Dad and Brother in the same row as the Radio Clyde commentary team. My Dad was next to big D J who was keeping him upto date with what was happening at Hillsborough. The corridors into the seats in that stand which was almost brand new were very narrow and caused quite a bit of crushing. This was nothing compared to when we got outside. You walked through quite a wide area past the old primary school onto London Road (??) where 2 buses had stopped opposite each other at bus stops and due to the crowd couldn't move. Suddenly you had hundreds trying to squeeze between the buses and it lead to absolute chaos and pushing and shoving. Shithole then and still a shithole.

I was sitting in the new main stand with my Dad and Brother in the same row as the Radio Clyde commentary team. My Dad was next to big D J who was keeping him upto date with what was happening at Hillsborough. The corridors into the seats in that stand which was almost brand new were very narrow and caused quite a bit of crushing. This was nothing compared to when we got outside. You walked through quite a wide area past the old primary school onto London Road (??) where 2 buses had stopped opposite each other at bus stops and due to the crowd couldn't move. Suddenly you had hundreds trying to squeeze between the buses and it lead to absolute chaos and pushing and shoving. Shithole then and still a shithole.
The place was a death trap but when we scored it was pandemonium sheer elation happy days

Had my daughter with me ,she was 10 at the time. It’s one of the few times I’ve been seriously frightened in a crush. Had to lift her up onto my shoulders and guys around helped protect us as much as possible.
When we got home and the Hillsborough news filtered through I was shocked and realised how lucky we’d been by comparison

The same day as The Hillsborough Disaster was the worst I'd experienced at that place and we weren't even playing the peasants.
^^this^^
Was talking to a guy at work the other day following the Liverpool v Man Utd game and the tragedy chanting etc and we got on to Hillsborough.
I said I remembered listening to it on the radio on the supporters bus home and that had there been fencing at the celtic end that day a similar situation could have unfolded.
I was used to East Enclosure, Hearts away and that fuckin tunnel, the away end at the Piggery etc etc but I had never felt so claustrophobic as I did that day.
I missed most of 2nd half as I stood away at the back on the 'concourse' just to get a bit of room.

I still have nightmares about that game. We should have won the League that night, only ourselves to blame.
Snap.
I remember vividly about to leave the ground in the dying seconds when Fat Murdo hit that shot.
It was agonising watching it as it was a shot that you knew soon as he hit the shot it was hitting the top bag.

Back in the Day we used to get the rangers end and part of the jungle think my best memory was after going 8 year's without winning there Alex miller scored a last minute winner with a thunderbolt happy days

From the Alex Miller goal to the day Walters ran riot in a 2-1 victory we didn't win a game there.

I was at every one of those games. That was 15 games.

Needless to say I despised going there. It was a pig sty and always seemed to be raining.

Awful days.

First win 3-1 Glasgow cup midweek nighttime game , mid to late 1970’s then the humpfs wonder strike - seen us lose a lot in that end till Souness took over , best win for me was 2-1 Van Vossen game
Should have scored 8 that day , followed with SC semi win super and big jorge foung the business thst day

Brockville was brutal, didn’t see any fighting in fairness
Getting out of Brockville was just horrific.
I was caught in crushes leaving Parkhead a few times (Janefield Street exit, never a problem onto London Road), also outside of Hampden on Somerville Drive ('76 Cup Final with Hearts springs to mind - crowd probably much bigger than 85,000 official figure).
I think Brockville held about 18,000 - 20,000 at the time, and there was one occasion I actually felt the breath being squeezed out of me when our crowd surged forward to escape through the narrow exits. Got a real fright, would never have thought this about a comparatively small stadium.

Loved it. One of my favorite memory's is surpisingly a defeat. Circa March 1978 we were heading for our second treble in 3 years. They were really struggling that season and were well down the League. Sadly they manged to beat us that day but I vividly recall standing on a crush barrier at the end chanting 'relegation' at them.

If only it had come true :p

Interesting lots of older Bears reminiscing saying how great those days were but now happily deprive the current crop of getting to experience going there in big numbers.

Could be the best place in the world to be or the worst. Have a vivid memory of seeing them score at the other end one time and you saw them bouncing a second before the roar hits you. A surreal experience but thankfully saw more victories than defeats.
Spot on mate
That roar from Them when they scored was surreal as the ball was in the net before you hears
Those first 20 odd minutes were some experience.

1 down after a minute.
Equalise after about 5 mins.
2-1 down after 11 mins.

We draw level on 20 mins and immediately score again one minute later.
I was still in recovery mode after getting dragged all over the terracing after we made it 2-2 then couldn't believe it when that ball looped over Bonnar and into the net to put us 3-2 up.
Absolute bedlam.
We should have won that game.
That's the game mate
It was bedlam

Experienced the old piggery a few times.

1992 NY day was my first experience. The moment Bomber scored will stay with me forever.

Walking to the stadium along London Road with a group of Rangers fans and a Celtic supporters bus went past. A few tried to jump out the emergency exit door at the back to get at us before realising the rest of the bus wasn’t going to follow them out. The same people were then holding the door shut as Rangers fans tried to get it open. An eye opener for a naive Corriebear.

1994 NY day. Absolute bedlam.

Next game I think was Duncan Ferguson’s debut. . The game finished 0-0 but my memories are of the bog roll and newspapers cuttings being thrown everywhere.

During the Hampden redevelopment I was at the Hibs LC final, Hearts SC semi and Aberdeen SC final. All three games I was behind the goal at the ‘Celtic’ end. Perfect view for Super Ally’s overhead kick.

One amusing chant from the Hibs game was ‘send your casuals over here’ from the Bears. The papers had been running a story in the build up to the game that Hibs casuals were coming through to cause bother.

Where I learned to stand with your back to the crush barrier, not in front of it.

The first appearance of the casuals at a midweek game around 1985. All these young guys with half Rangers ski hats.
Down the bottom right hand side close to the jungle.The odd time I never had a ticket I would go to the gap between the Rangers end and the jungle outside.Its where the fans in wheelchairs got entry to the game,you just asked the persons carer if you could help push them through and jump into the Rangers end.One time I helped a Bear with his young lad get in,we had no colours,and as we passed the Jungle the wee lad whips out his union flag and gives them dogs abuse,we got coined and spat at haha

First game was the Mo Johnston goal game in 1990, that was an interesting day, only 13 years old and genuinely first time I felt the hatred between the 2 teams, never seemed as bad at Ibrox when we outnumbered them.

I got a close up appreciation of how much of a dump it was first hand, got to play on the pitch at half time during the McCoist overhead kick final v hibs a few years later, that was a great day.

I always associate the piggery back then with a lot more violence than occurred after Old Firm games at Ibrox. Helenvale flats, London Rd, Springfield Rd, etc, were always major flashpoints.

Loved it. One of my favorite memory's is surpisingly a defeat. Circa March 1978 we were heading for our second treble in 3 years. They were really struggling that season and were well down the League. Sadly they manged to beat us that day but I vividly recall standing on a crush barrier at the end chanting 'relegation' at them.

If only it had come true :p

That was the week after the LC final.

Another crap day at the office for me though.

Interesting lots of older Bears reminiscing saying how great those days were but now happily deprive the current crop of getting to experience going there in big numbers.

The political landscape has changed beyond repair. They've had a numerical advantage %wise since the new Knew Camp was built.

It's quite simple. We get the full end at the Rangers end, they can get the Broomloan again.

It ain't happening as the filth will never relent, so why should we? Suck it up.

The only time i have been a bit scared and i have been Ibrox with 94k Hampden 134k and 75k at Celtic Park. Was 58k at Everton v Leeds in the early 70s in the Gwladys end was crazy and scary far too many people in that terrace.

There many times in the 70s and into the 80s.

One game, we were leading 2-0 iirc and they equalised, then all the bottles and cans started. I got hit by a half-bottle, but what was worse, it came from the side and not behind as you would expect. Berstrd never even left me a nip in it :)

Getting back to Fife was a nightmare too. Every time the windows got panned then had to run the gauntlet at Blackhill as well, before the new M/way was built.

Happy days :)

Dodging the bricks thrown from the bridges, watching the bus windows been tanned in as they slowed down at junctions then walking around cut down tree trunks to get into their shithole of a stadium. Parkheads a piggery and reminding them they were nonces.

A great day out.
The Rangers supporters buses used to park on the waste ground at Springfield Road and was bricked on many occasions by mutants from the old railway line.

These were the days !

Some of my best and worst memories of football matches there.
Alex Miller and the 4-2 disaster being an example of each.

The political landscape has changed beyond repair. They've had a numerical advantage %wise since the new Knew Camp was built.

It's quite simple. We get the full end at the Rangers end, they can get the Broomloan again.

It ain't happening as the filth will never relent, so why should we? Suck it up.
Also different times that will never be recreated no matter how many tickets we get.

First time I was there was late 80’s and we won 1-2. It was fantastically mental. When we scored the second I ended up about 30/40’ down from where I was and lost my scarf.
I feel sorry for those who never got to experience proper terracing and proper football “limbs”.

First time I was there was late 80’s and we won 1-2. It was fantastically mental. When we scored the second I ended up about 30/40’ down from where I was and lost my scarf.
I feel sorry for those who never got to experience proper terracing and proper football “limbs”.
Spot on mate
You could end up miles away from were you were standing initially :D

The only one I missed in 20 years due to a family wedding, was scorching that day.

Not laughing at you here mate but I made that game despite my son being born 3 days earlier. I brought him and the wife home on the morning of the match.
Being the dutiful dad I had decided not to go but then my dear and sadly departed mother in law arrived and asked why I wasn't going.
Quick phone call to the pub and ticket secured and off I went.

Told the wife when I arrived home that one day that boy will be proud that I went to the game and I'm delighted to say he is and attends with me to this day :D :))

Not laughing at you here mate but I made that game despite my son being born 3 days earlier. I brought him and the wife home on the morning of the match.
Being the dutiful dad I had decided not to go but then my dear and sadly departed mother in law arrived and asked why I wasn't going.

Told the wife when I arrived home that one day that boy will be proud that I went to the game and I'm delighted to say he is and attends with me to this day :D :))
My son was born at 1233 on New Years Day and I was on the supporters bus just after 1300 to go to the game :D The day we won 4-2 in 1994

Wedding was shite as well.
Did get my end away though.

Only went once to see us play them but saw us in 3 cup finals pre-redevelopment. I born in 1980 so was dependent on my old man taking me and my mum was dead against it.

It was 4v2 Ne’er day win in 94 and my old man had managed to convince my mum that it’d be fine and he would make sure he was with me all game. He got absolutely smashed in a pub before the game and ended up falling asleep on the supporters bus so I ended up going into the ground with a bloke and who had his kids with him. I had no idea where I was going once we got in and immediately got split up. I went down the front as I couldn’t see anything at the back and then realised I could hardly see the pitch but was stuck there.

Bedlam doesn’t really cover what it was like in there for a 13 year old used to sitting in the Copland!

Wish I’d been able to experience it more often but my next OF away match against them was at Hampden.
Got lifted outside the ground half hour before kick off scrapping with the manks outside the main stand. Missing that game is still one of my biggest regrets watching Rangers.

My first Old Firm there was in 92 when Durrant scored the only goal.

The best was the NY 94 game, would love to relive that whole day again, our bus from Dunoon was a full 50 seater and we had more going than the local mhanks to their home game. I think their bus must have horsed it home to make sure they avoided us on the same boat home :)

I loved the 90's.

Have said on here before tickets were 2 coloured. The first game of the season could be yellow and white .The second would be white and yellow. If you had the first ticket stub and you got by the cops who mostly were bored looking at tickets ,you were at the turnstiles and a fiver and you were in .

Thousands of us at Bridgeton Cross. Crazy panning busses etc. and marching along London Road about 2pm 15,000 strong. After the game we'd be in the last 6 carriages of the train and it was mental at Dalmarnock - the locals were very much on our side, but if you were late you were outnumbered.

We also had a bit of their main stand but I was only in there twice.

Yeah I remember it well it really was a piggery of a stadium, never forget when Alex Miller scored a screamer in the last minute to win the game.
Also back in the 60's and 70's we got half the stadium as they got half of Ibrox as well, including the main stand.

I never realised there was a strict allocation. I'm thinking there would have been more games, especially in the 60s that were pay at the gate.

I think that many were pay at the gate, but for the games that were all ticket (possibly cup ties and New Year league games), 27k was our allocation.

Back