Did he really play for them?

Gordon McQueen played for St Mirren, I think Archie Gemmil did to and didn't Joe Jordan play for Morton?

If it had gone through...Johan Cruyff to Dumbarton would have taken some beating.
However, that's a totally different thread altogether...

Doug Rougvie at Chelsea

The sly old fox Alex Ferguson gave him one maybe two Scotland caps and Chelsea were fooled into thinking they had a footballer on their books :)

edit : just checked, one cap and hows this for a cracking quote from Wiki :

Though initially a regular in the side, Rougvie's lack of pace and often reckless tackling were to hamper his progress with the club.

At one point Falkirk held the world record transfer fee. In 1922 they paid ÂŁ5,000 to West Ham for Syd Puddefoot.

I rated Archibald as a player.
He was clever and had a great touch as well as a good finish.
Scotland produced great players in Stevie's generation.
Why is it surprising that he played for Barcelona?
He was getting kept out of the Scotland team by the likes of Dalglish and Joe Jordan, as well as Andy Gray, Lou Macari and Derek Johnstone.
Players that were all recognised as top performers in the European game.
Johnstone never kept him out of the scotland team.

I rated Archibald as a player.
He was clever and had a great touch as well as a good finish.
Scotland produced great players in Stevie's generation.
Why is it surprising that he played for Barcelona?
He was getting kept out of the Scotland team by the likes of Dalglish and Joe Jordan, as well as Andy Gray, Lou Macari and Derek Johnstone.
Players that were all recognised as top performers in the European game.
Archibald was a top player, he actually got more caps than Gray, Johnstone and Macari.

Ian Black - Tranet Juniors
Brian Laudrup - Bayern Munich
Ashley Cole - Roma
Stan Collymore - Real Oviedo
Steve Archibald - RCD Espanol

Javier Hernandez at Real Madrid (Loan from Man Utd). Apparently scored the winner in the Champions League quarter finals to knock out Atletico.

I have zero memory of him being there until Gravesen at Real got me thinking.

Also this is more of a “how the hell did that happen”. Mascherano and Tevez to West Ham.

School had finished and I went round to my gf (now wife’s) house. I was doing my darndest to get into her pants when her dad suddenly knocked on the bedroom door whilst I’m rocking a stauner that would blind Stevie Wonder all over again.

The wife slips out to deal with her Dad while I throw good old teletext on to see those two have signed for West Ham.

Outrageous. Never got to shoot my load that night either.
Too much information......

Johnstone never kept him out of the scotland team.
No, I kinda phrased that wrongly.
What I meant was that to play for Scotland you were competing with players of such quality.
Basically, if Archibald was around today, we would build Scotland around his star qualities, ......... to put Stevie in perspective.
Back then, there were other players just as good.

Last edited:
I was too young to really appreciate him at the time but looking at footage of him at Spurs and Barcelona, Archibald was a fantastic player.

As a kid I got the vibe that the media in Scotland thought he was a bit full of himself.
I don't think he had much regard for the media, a bit like Davie Cooper, so the media, in turn, decided he was moody and a bit of an introvert.
However, I think Stevie just had no time for clowns.

Back