Did he really play for them?

Bobby Charlton played for the unwashed, if you believe their shite.
According to them he played in a testimonial but had to be registered as a Celtic player for insurance reasons, so they pyoor had a Wurld Cup winner in the green and grey. :rolleyes:
They have no shame.

Jim Hagan - Celta Vigo. Won the best overseas player in the Spanish league in the late 80’s which was astonishing. Lived 2 doors down from me in Larne when I was growing up.

Why? He was a really good player, look at why he did at Spurs before joining Barca.

I have never rated Archibald as anything other than a poacher. I did not consider him to be a very good footballer. The one credit that I have always given him, however, is that imo he made the very best of limited abilities and vastly over achieved as a player. In my younger days Scotland was littered with players of huge ability who for a variety of reasons, but chiefly lifestyle, pissed it up against the proverbial wall. Archibald imo was at the opposite end of the spectrum.

I have never rated Archibald as anything other than a poacher. I did not consider him to be a very good footballer. The one credit that I have always given him, however, is that imo he made the very best of limited abilities and vastly over achieved as a player. In my younger days Scotland was littered with players of huge ability who for a variety of reasons, but chiefly lifestyle, pissed it up against the proverbial wall. Archibald imo was at the opposite end of the spectrum.

You’re more than entitled to your opinion jimbear, but I think you’re doing Stevie Archibald a massive injustice. He was a completely natural goal-scorer, and his reading of the game and positional sense were uncanny to say the least. If he were playing in the more modern era, he would coast it into ANY team in the UK, and a good few on the Continent, Barcelona included. You are right though to highlight his professionalism. He was always going to make it as a footballer, and nothing was going to sidetrack him or stop him from reaching his goal . . . pun intended!

George%2BBest%2BArbroath%2BVics%2B1982%2B%2528august%2529%2Bstickerpedia.jpg

Turning out for Scone Thistle v Burrelton Rovers.

rachgz.jpg
looks like he's up against Big Jim McDonald from Corrie;)

Doug Rougvie at Chelsea

The sly old fox Alex Ferguson gave him one maybe two Scotland caps and Chelsea were fooled into thinking they had a footballer on their books :)

edit : just checked, one cap and hows this for a cracking quote from Wiki :
I'm sure I seen him play for Chelsea at Ibrox. I think it was a Friday night in the mid 80s
Though initially a regular in the side, Rougvie's lack of pace and often reckless tackling were to hamper his progress with the club.

Ljungberg-Celtic
Caniggia-Wembley FC
Alexis Sanchez-Udinese
Kimmich-Leipzig
Beckenbauer-Hamburg
Cruyff-Levante
George Best-Hong Kong Rangers

Mark Mcghee played for Hamburg when they were a top side in the 80s.
Brian O'Neill had 2 years at Wolfsburg in the late 90s.
Scott Booth signed for Dortmund just after Lambert.
Falkirk had Kasper Schmicheal and Tim Kruul both on Loan.
Aaron Mooy at St Mirren.
Brian Deane - Benfica
Dean Saunders - Galatasaray & also Benfica

Des Walker, Lee Sharpe & Danny Dichio - Sampdoria
Franz Carr - Reggiana
David Platt - Bari
Scott Booth - Vitesse, Utrecht & FC Twente

Back