Scored v them, Ibrox, Hampden and the beggardome

I remember Jim Bett scoring at Ibrox when we beat them 1 0, but cannot remember him doing it at Hampden or the piggery. Not disputing what your saying just cannot remember it,
‘ The selective memory loyal’

I've seen footage of him scoring at the piggery in the same game Alex Miller scored a last minute winner, probably early 1980s and I've also seen a free kick in a Hampden League Cup Final when we lost 2-1 around the same time mate.

Way way before my time.

I've seen footage of him scoring at the piggery in the same game Alex Miller scored a last minute winner, probably early 1980s and I've also seen a free kick in a Hampden League Cup Final when we lost 2-1 around the same time mate.

Way way before my time.

I was at both of them.

Trying to remember if he scored against them at Ibrox. I’m not sure he did. If he did, I can’t remember it. But that’s nothing to write home about. LOL

Dont want to derail the thread. Good thread OP by the way :)

However, on a related matter of goals at the piggery, I remember one where one of our players got his toe to a ball and it looped away up high and was just dropping just inside their net down the scum end of the ground. At the last moment it looked like they might clear it until our forward just bundled his body in the way and forced it home or even just stopped them clearing it.

For the life of me, I can’t remember who lobbed it towards goal, who bundled it in / protected it in and who got credited with the goal.

Think it might have been Super Greedy who bundled it over and maybe Durrant lobbed it. Mind you. Could have been anybody as I genuinely can’t remember :D.

Anybody help me LOL

However, on a related matter of goals at the piggery, I remember one where one of our players got his toe to a ball and it looped away up high and was just dropping just inside their net down the scum end of the ground. At the last moment it looked like they might clear it until our forward just bundled his body in the way and forced it home or even just stopped them clearing it.

For the life of me, I can’t remember who lobbed it towards goal, who bundled it in / protected it in and who got credited with the goal.

Think it might have been Super Greedy who bundled it over and maybe Durrant lobbed it. Mind you. Could have been anybody as I genuinely can’t remember :D.

Anybody help me LOL

Durrant lobbed it and Laudrup bundled it in mate as we won 1-0. Andy Dibble was in goals for us that day.

Way way before my time.

You’re right MU - August 1980 beat them 2 1 Alex Miller winner. I was at the game, Jim Bett got the equaliser after the ball broke from a Davie Cooper free kick. Old age doesn’t come easy. :D

Anybody help me LOL
Are you thinking of Ian Ferguson's indirect free kick that Bonnar parried above his head and then fell on his arse before McCoist nodded it over the line?

Butcher would be on the list if Bob Valentine hadn't disallowed his perfectly fine goal in 1989

True.

The day he scored at the Piggery I was at the reserve game at Ibrox (just a wean at the time). I was utterly perplexed when everyone jumped up shouting that Butcher had scored. We were nowhere near the goal and Butcher wasn’t even on the pitch from what I could see :D

Are you thinking of Ian Ferguson's indirect free kick that Bonnar parried above his head and then fell on his arse before McCoist nodded it over the line?

April fools day? Wasn’t that our first win there in something ridiculous like 9 years?

Go back further and Johnny Hubbard, Bob McPhail, Jimmy Smith and such as those must have done it. We played them a lot back then in Glasgow Cup finals or semis, Charity Cups. League Cup group stages etc. as well as the League or Scottish Cup.

I wasn’t. It was the one Crown Defender mentioned. Durrants lob and Laudrup bundled it in.

How the phuck can I forget God scoring at the Piggery but clearly remember the one you’re talking about.:D

I was at the one you’re talking about in fairness and not the other one. Good old Packie Bonnar. He did love slapping the ball straight to our strikers feet. Haha

Go back further and Johnny Hubbard, Bob McPhail, Jimmy Smith and such as those must have done it. We played them a lot back then in Glasgow Cup finals or semis, Charity Cups. League Cup group stages etc. as well as the League or Scottish Cup.

The converse of that being we only played them twice in the league in those days but I agree it’s likely to have been done.

April fools day? Wasn’t that our first win there in something ridiculous like 9 years?

The day Bett and Miller scored mentioned earlier in the thread was the first league win in something like 9 years.

I think we’d won in the cup during that period but not in the league. I was utterly sick of turning up at the midden for league games during that spell. Couldn’t buy a win.

When Alex Millers volley hit the net there was a celebration in the Rangers end that I’ll never forget. Bodies flying everywhere. I ended up about 20 yards from where I’d been standing. LOL.

The day Bett and Miller scored mentioned earlier in the thread was the first league win in something like 9 years.

I think we’d won in the cup during that period but not in the league. I was utterly sick of turning up at the midden for league games during that spell. Couldn’t buy a win.

When Alex Millers volley hit the net there was a celebration in the Rangers end that I’ll never forget. Bodies flying everywhere. I ended up about 20 yards from where I’d been standing. LOL.

Aye the old boys recollection is much like yours mate. I know it was a shithole but the Rangers end at the Piggery really was something else. My first game there was when Spackman scored. Had a pretty good record going there actually.

Jelavic? Scored at Ibrox in 4-2 win under Ally, Hampden in league cup final and Parkhead for Rapid Vienna.

F*ck you, I’m counting him.
Also scored a double in Vienna against them aswell. Can’t really think of any other players that have scored in 4 different stadiums v them.

And throwing the wildcard on to the table, goals at the scumhut could be cup semi finals played against other teams, that's another list in itself

Also scored a double in Vienna against them aswell. Can’t really think of any other players that have scored in 4 different stadiums v them.

McCoist predictably scored against them at Muirton Park in his St Johnstone days.

Aye the old boys recollection is much like yours mate. I know it was a shithole but the Rangers end at the Piggery really was something else. My first game there was when Spackman scored. Had a pretty good record going there actually.

I really feel sorry for the young team who never got to go to the scumhut 25,000 strong.

The old Rangers end at the piggery was just a fucking outstanding day when we won. :D

I actually miss the old almost 50/50 split of the stadium at OF fixtures. What an atmosphere it was. Nothing quite like it.

Remember the horror of seeing the fucking tramps celebrating down the other end of they scored, before you heard the roar. I genuinely miss it. Sing what you like. Say what you like. Ship an enormous cargo in with you. Brilliant :D

I remember Jim Bett scoring at Ibrox when we beat them 1 0, but cannot remember him doing it at Hampden or the piggery. Not disputing what your saying just cannot remember it,
Scored when we lost 2 v 1 in the league cup final.

82 or 83.

Dereks Johnstone and Parlane and also Alfie Conn.

Jimmy Millar and Ralphie Brand and Jim Forrest.

Got to think Davie Wilson also.

With Glasgow and Charity Cup semis and finals, you've got to think Willie Thornton at least, maybe Willie Waddell.

Jimmy Fleming and Alan Morton have to be in with a shout.

A loss at Hampden. Free kick, their end

I really feel sorry for the young team who never got to go to the scumhut 25,000 strong.

The old Rangers end at the piggery was just a fucking outstanding day when we won. :D

I actually miss the old almost 50/50 split of the stadium at OF fixtures. What an atmosphere it was. Nothing quite like it.

Remember the horror of seeing the fucking tramps celebrating down the other end of they scored, before you heard the roar. I genuinely miss it. Sing what you like. Say what you like. Ship an enormous cargo in with you. Brilliant :D

I totally agree, it truly was unique, was discussing this in another thread, You’d be hard pushed to find another game (certainly in Britain) that had that sort of frenzy. Your point about the younger Bears is why I was against the cutting of allocations tbh. I absolutely understand the reasons behind it but it’s a pity some of them won’t get to see us beating the bastards at their midden.

You’re right MU - August 1980 beat them 2 1 Alex Miller winner. I was at the game, Jim Bett got the equaliser after the ball broke from a Davie Cooper free kick. Old age doesn’t come easy. :D

What a day that was, Big X. :D

I was 17 and pished. LOL. Wonderful wonderful memories. :D

38 years ago. Can hardly believe that

Stein equalised late on (82nd min or so) and Jim Brogan scored the winner for them with basically the last kick of the ball.

I've heard my old man and uncle talk about that game.

Header from Brogan right at the death, as you rightly say.

Back