Once again, woeful and naive defending - it needs to stop.

TCWNS1872

Despite their goal being offside, our defending was pitiful. And, not for the first time this season, a gung ho attitude trying to score could have easily cost us another goal with the chance that Johnston spurned.

Someone on the touchline should've been instructing one of the backs to stay back to cover the centre halves in case of a breakaway. We did the same thing against Young Boys and again against Feyenoord. That is inexcusable.

When we pass up so many chances to score it almost feels inevitable that it wasn't going to be our day. Morelos missing the spot kick more or less confirmed it.

Gerrard and co have a job on trying to lift it for Thursday night. We as fans need to do our bitand back the players and not get as edgy and quiet as we did today.

WATP

Our line was perfect for their ‘goal’.

The second chance they got was due to us throwing people forward after Alfie’s pen miss. It happens to teams like Barca and City, not just Rangers.

Woeful and naive defending have cost us dearly already this season.

Ironically today that wasn't the case. Bad finishing, inspired goalscoring, and sheer bad luck denied us the trophy today. No need to make it any worse than it is.

If I’ve got it right apart from the goal that had no shots on target and I can’t remember a save we had to make, So we can hardly blame the defence. One breakaway hardly constitutes a shoddy defence.

Despite their goal being offside, our defending was pitiful. And, not for the first time this season, a gung ho attitude trying to score could have easily cost us another goal with the chance that Johnston spurned.

Someone on the touchline should've been instructing one of the backs to stay back to cover the centre halves in case of a breakaway. We did the same thing against Young Boys and again against Feyenoord. That is inexcusable.

When we pass up so many chances to score it almost feels inevitable that it wasn't going to be our day. Morelos missing the spot kick more or less confirmed it.

Gerrard and co have a job on trying to lift it for Thursday night. We as fans need to do our bitand back the players and not get as edgy and quiet as we did today.

WATP

Your opening sentence negates the rest of your post. Crap.

I'm not blaming the defence for the defeat. What I am saying is chasing an equaliser and leaving two slow centre halves back to cover a breakaway is naive defending.

Also, when a centre half runs unopposed at the back post to sidefoot a ball into the net, whether he should've been flagged offside or not, is woeful defending. He should be covered. Hellander was posted missing. People who don't think that constructive criticism is valid are burying their heads in the sand.

Nothing wrong with our defending, why oh why is there a need by fûcking idiots to need a scapegoat in our team. Their goal was off side, you do know what that means, the only other chance they had was when we had pushed up miles looking for an equaliser.

When you play such a high press then any team will be vulnerable to a long ball. It's the nature of that type of play.

Your opening sentence negates the rest of your post. Crap.
What would you have said if Johnston had scored? Just one of those things trying to chase the game? Keeping the back door firmly closed is probably the number one rule when defending as a team trying to equalise.

I'm not blaming the defence for the defeat. What I am saying is chasing an equaliser and leaving two slow centre halves back to cover a breakaway is naive defending.

Also, when a centre half runs unopposed at the back post to sidefoot a ball into the net, whether he should've been flagged offside or not, is woeful defending. He should be covered. Hellander was posted missing. People who don't think that constructive criticism is valid are burying their heads in the sand.

Yet you start a thread with that headline? Someone stealing an advantage from an offiside position is more than likely going to score unopposed FFS. You're have a mare here mate.

only one person burying their head in the sand in this thread:confused:

WATP

the goal was offside. Simple as that. What followed was as a result of a goal wrongly being allowed. Prior to that we had defended well. Officials do their job and our defending isn’t an issue.

They had one chance which came from us pushing as we should.

That aside we were solid

Rank rotten at attacking corners though

Yet you start a thread with that headline? Someone stealing an advantage from an offiside position is more than likely going to score unopposed FFS. You're have a mare here mate.
Refusing to recognise a glaring weakness in the side could be construed as having a mare mate. But you carry on. We were robbed by poor finishing and poor officials for the most part. That doesn't excuse bad defending though does it?

WATP

Extremely harsh post about the defending.

Their goal was offside as you said.

They had one chance which AMcG made himself big in goals and their striker - whoever he was - put it wide.

Otherwise we were as comfortable at the back as I can remember against them.

Nothing wrong with our defending, why oh why is there a need by fûcking idiots to need a scapegoat in our team. Their goal was off side, you do know what that means, the only other chance they had was when we had pushed up miles looking for an equaliser.
who are you calling an idiot?

The defense wasn't the problem today.

We had 7 shots on goal, 11 corners, a penalty and a man advantage for half an hour in an OF game.

Not scoring at least 2 goals is fucking criminal.

See when your stuck in a hole, stop digging.

What would you have said if Johnston had scored? Just one of those things trying to chase the game? Keeping the back door firmly closed is probably the number one rule when defending as a team trying to equalise.

No idea what you are on about, Johnston? There were THREE scum players offside. That's the officials fault not our defence. Yes? No?

They had 2 chances and one was the most blatant offside you will get. Alan McGregor had a deck chair day so why wouldn't we feel confident! The only issue I had was we had no joy from the flanks and when we had Defoe on we should have been more direct!

No idea what you are on about, Johnston? There were THREE scum players offside. That's the officials fault not our defence. Yes? No?/QUOTE]
Christ sake mate. The fact that you don't know what I'm on about regarding Mikey Johnston being clean through on goal says it all.

They also missed an absolute sitter because one of our defenders made an arse of a simple tackle.

Every team, in every match, misses chances. The point is they only had 1 real chance in the entire match, since the one that gave them the win should have been blown up for offside.

I agree, the attempt at a tackle - was it Goldson - was awful.

as I said in other thread, we were robbed. I've never witnessed a robbery as much as that in all my years supporting the gers. I'm totally gutted about today but we hammered them,their keeper played an absolute blinder too. could go through that another 50 times and not lose,that's what makes it so tough to take. we simply didn't deserve to lose that today.

I'm not the poster you've quoted but I'll call you an idiot, because you are an idiot. How on earth can you say our defence was naive when they scored an offside goal? Should we have made him more offside so the incompetent ref could've seen it?
You are the idiot pal. If you took the care to read what I posted, naive defending is charging up field and leaving two centre halves back. But you carry on and throw about the insults.

WATP
Absolute nonsense.

I don't know what you are on about. He had a chance and missed. How many other chances did they have apart from their goal, which should not have stood? You are trying to defend a thread which should never have been opened. Geeza Brek.

You are the idiot pal. If you took the care to read what I posted, naive defending is charging up field and leaving two centre halves back. But you carry on and throw about the insults.

We were desperate for a goal. What else were we supposed to do? Their only other real chance came when it was 1-0

WATP
Some bears saying they had 3 players offside at the goal . Ye dont play the offside trap at a dangerous cross-ball set piece ! It was simply woeful defending ..again !

We were desperate for a goal. What else were we supposed to do? Their only other real chance came when it was 1-0
Keep the back door firmly closed. That is what we are supposed to do. Leaving two centre halves back (one of which is as slow as a carthorse) against quick players is poor management. They have been guilty of it in several big games this season and it continues to happen.

Back