Fernando Ricksen - The Final Battle BBC Scotland Channel

.......and they did as much as they could to airbrush Rangers out as best as they could

Obviously it is all about Fernando, but you if you didn’t know better you might have concluded his time at Rangers was not the biggest stint of his career, which it was.

I also thought some of their edit was distasteful. His wife feeding him and then cut to her feeding his daughter, I didn’t like that.

However, what an insight to his heroic brave battle. Anyone not moved by that is not human.

Good bless Fernando Ricksen. Your legend lives on, never to be forgotten.

BBC Scotland had nothing to do with it. Dutch TV Company filmed it.

Reactions: VGM
Tht was very tough watch I broke down at the scene when Fernando was in the hospital bed.

Rest in peace Fernando.

.......and they did as much as they could to airbrush Rangers out as best as they could

Obviously it is all about Fernando, but you if you didn’t know better you might have concluded his time at Rangers was not the biggest stint of his career, which it was.

I also thought some of their edit was distasteful. His wife feeding him and then cut to her feeding his daughter, I didn’t like that.

However, what an insight to his heroic brave battle. Anyone not moved by that is not human.

It was produced by Vincent de Vries. Not bbc Scotland. They just held the rights

Not too proud the tears were running down my face when he kicked off the match at Ibrox & fell over. The courage, the fight, a true hero on & off the part. A real warrior. Sleep easy Fernando.

Time for bed fella.

Reactions: VGM
I don’t know how to say this but it truly is, maybe a little bit warming? In between the broken heart our country who did and can watch what this f*cking horrible illness is like and raises more awareness to please God help get a cure.

Fucking hell, it wasn’t made by the BBC, you’ve tried far too hard to look for things to be angry at.

Fair enough on the production, but Jesus I’m hardly displaying anger!

Still stand by my point in the edit. They had him held up like a prop at one point for a photo opportunity.

Hard viewing.

That was a very hard watch, so emotional.

No idea how to put feelings into words after that.

Rest in peace Fernando.

Thought it was heartwarming that his wife, friends and family could understand every word he said.

Looks like Glasgow and Scotland took good care of Fernando, and I’ve no doubt that Glasgow will give him the send off he deserves.

Incredibly hard but motivating documentary on a person close to our hearts.

A true warrior and the fight he and other sufferers put up against this is incredible.

Ronaldo yet again showing himself to be a genuine star of a man while Maradona a complete and utter twat.

Few bits got to me, Fernando crying on the hospital bed being one and the AZ lad walking away after not being able to hold back the tears another. Yet hearing him say us fans helped him forget he had the disease put a smile on my face and seeing him laughing at his daughter a few times too showed he could still enjoy some moments in life.

An extremely hard watch that not had a great end to the day and that finished me off more than a few tears shed.

The other half came into me and said don’t be sad he wasn’t sad which set me off again, a bastard of a disease that’s taken a good man from his family and friends far too soon.

Rest Easy Captain.

What a contribution his pal and carer, Mr Morgan (can’t remember his first name)
made, to Fernando, in what must have been a time of great sadness.
I must admit I laughed when he said to Fernando when he was getting him dressed for the function in Glasgow “next time I dress like this will be at your funeral” real gallows humor but Fernando laughed when he said it

That was awful to watch.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Sat bubbling all the way through it, as did the wife. One of those nights where you give your kids an extra kiss & cuddle when checking them on your way to bed.

But for the Grace of God go I.

Rest in peace Fernando - Ranger, Captain, Warrior.

That was excruciating to watch. His carers deserve a medal - absolute diamonds.

God Bless you Fernando. We’ll never forget what you done for our club, we were desperate for a leader in 2005 and lead us you did.

Last edited:
One of the hardest things I've ever watched.

Fernando was an absolute warrior to see out this condition for six years. I wouldn't have the fighting spirit to go on that long were I ever to be in his shoes.

Not much I can say that hasn't already been said. I too cried like a baby watching that. Fernando has been a massive inspiriation for me personally and I've no doubt many others feel the same. He will never be forgotten.

Tough watch. Agree with previous posts, a benefit match for his family is a must.
I know the organising etc could be a nightmare especially with euro qualifying and so on but wouldn’t it be great if fortuna, az, zenit and Rangers could arrange a one off pre season mini tournament. Something along the lines of the Fernando Ricksen memorial cup with the proceeds going to his family or split between them and mnd research.

The love of his wife, daughter, carers, family and friends must have been a huge factor in his determination and resiliance, he was indeed a warrior, he possessed that fighting spirit. Everything he has come to be defined by.

A braver, more dignified man you will never meet, a true example to us all.

That was a heartbreaking documentary, a tough watch, but he wanted us to see this horrible illness in all of it's horrendous reality. To raise awareness, to find a cure...to help others.

What a man we have lost, but our pain must be nothing compared to his family and loved ones

'We love Fernando we do, We love Fernando we do, we love Fernando we do,oh Fernando WE LOVE YOU'

and we always will

R.I.P Captain x

What happened with Maradona that people were calling him a prick?
he continually promised to meet Fernando and gave assurances he would, Fernando travelled to meet him and Maradona didn't bother his arse to appear, so putting a terminally ill man through all that hope, all that travel and upheaval....and expense for f*ck all.

Dispicable behaviour

he continually promised to meet Fernando and gave assurances he would, Fernando travelled to meet him and Maradona didn't bother his arse to appear, so putting a terminally ill man through all that hope, all that travel and upheaval....and expense for f*ck all.

Dispicable behaviour

In that moment I went from a bubbling wean to being angry. The excitement of fernando to meet his hero and that arsehole couldn't even be bothered to go meet a dying man. Fair play to ronaldo always thought he was decent bloke and he proved it.

Back