Fernando Ricksen - The Final Battle BBC Scotland Channel

In that moment I went from a bubbling wean to being angry. The excitement of fernando to meet his hero and that arsehole couldn't even be bothered to go meet a dying man. Fair play to ronaldo always thought he was decent bloke and he proved it.

Am I right in saying Ronaldo invited him to the Champions League Final as his guest? Great gesture.

Was a tough watch to be honest. Missus is heading to Ibrox today. Hats aff to Ronaldo. Fella gets a bad press, but was class. Maradona. A rat.

The bits that got me was when Fernando was on the pit h at Ibrox at his benefit game and all the players hugging him in the centre circle.
And when he was being interviewed in the training ground at Fortuna as that was only in 2010 and he looked so fit and healthy without knowing what was just around the corner.

Haven't watched this and not sure I will. What happened with Maradona?
He had arranged to meet Ricksen as he was doing a visit to Holland as a fundraiser for MND.

He didn't get on the plane despite confirming several times he would be there.

Last edited:
He had arranged to Meet Ricksen as he was doing a visit to Holland as a fundraiser for MND.

He didn't get on the plane despite confirming several times he would be there.

Thanks Craigie. Loved Maradona as a player but another example of the man not being a man!

BBC Scotland have had nothing to do with it, they have simply acquired the rights to show it from Vincent de Vries, Fernando's biographer/agent.
Great stuff. He seemed a great guy and from when Fernando announced his diagnosis on live tv until the end, he was there. I hope we can celebrate him in some way once the tributes to our captain are fully made.

Genuinely one of the hardest things I’ve ever watched.
God love you Fernando.

Last edited:
That film didn't spare us much from the reality of how the sufferer and their friends/families have to cope with this affliction.

What a fighter the man was even if at times his despair got the better of him - I had to turn away from the screen few times.

My mum's best pal died from MND back when I was a child - to see such an elegant and attractive lady decline so quickly is a shock I have never forgotten.

Here's hoping that a cure can be found.

Could have had better interviews with teammates other than the impromptu ones at a function but a well put together programme

Just this minute finished watching it. I consider myself a "battle hardened" bear, but admit to watching it though tears all the way through. The guts,determination and willpower shown by our Ex captain was truly inspirational.
Rest in peace Fernando,you fought to the bitter end. You legacy will endure.

I didn't watch it last as my mood was low, so I watched it this afternoon, it was harrowing to watch an athlete waste away.
The bit that I just bubbled at was when he was in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, he started to cry and I just couldn't control myself, he wasn't perfect but tell me one person in the world who are...RIP Fernando you were a fighter, I would have given up long ago

Watched it earlier. Many bits got to me, but the one moment that hit me the hardest was when one of my childhood heroes, Nacho Novo, was struggling to hold it together at the Charity event. You could see how much pain he was in and he knew his mate was dying. So so tragic. RIP Fernando.

he continually promised to meet Fernando and gave assurances he would, Fernando travelled to meet him and Maradona didn't bother his arse to appear, so putting a terminally ill man through all that hope, all that travel and upheaval....and expense for f*ck all.

Dispicable behaviour

Only cares about himself.

.......and they did as much as they could to airbrush Rangers out as best as they could

Obviously it is all about Fernando, but you if you didn’t know better you might have concluded his time at Rangers was not the biggest stint of his career, which it was.

I also thought some of their edit was distasteful. His wife feeding him and then cut to her feeding his daughter, I didn’t like that.

However, what an insight to his heroic brave battle. Anyone not moved by that is not human.

Good bless Fernando Ricksen. Your legend lives on, never to be forgotten.
Bit much totally agree

Watched it earlier on and I was in tears

Heartbreaking stuff to watch him and his family and friends go through that

His mate who helped care for him is a top bloke and I take my hat off to him

God rest Fernando

Watched it on my own late last night, long before the end the tears were streaming down my face. Absolutely heartbreaking but what an inspirational man he was.

Watched this last night it's been incredibly harrowing viewing that but I felt I must watch because that's what I think Fernando wanted he wanted to raise awareness of this terrible illness and I think he achieved that,himself and his family and friends have fought this with dignity and with love all the people who looked after him were amazing and they all had great humour which Fernando enjoyed the fans came out in thier thousands to say their final farewell I was incredibly proud to watch you all what a send off to this incredibly brave man rest in peace Fernando you will never be forgotten by your adoring fans. I do hope we can arrange some sort of benefit match and show his family what the Rangers family are so good at looking after our own.

Not watched this yet, not ready to do that. I will soon, for sure. And I know tears will flow. I’m an emotional type like most of us, although many don’t like to admit it. Fernando’s struggle touched all of us, he was brave and inspirational. Leaving us at such a young age is just tragic.

Just watched it on iPlayer.

I cried as if I’d lost my best friend, moved to the extreme by that. What a guy...he exuded pride, passion, fire and fight!!!

And now I’m going to say something that I may need to put the tin hat on for...it regards Diego Maradona. Diego Maradona is a cancer on this world and I’d swap Fernando’s place for Maradona’s in a heartbeat! If that means I’m going to the fiery hell then so bit. What a deplorable odious excuse for a man!

Anyway, in the interests of ridding myself of hatred, long live Fernando Ricksen and god bless you!

heart breaking and I'm not ashamed to say I cried at it a hard watch but what an inspiration to people going through this or any other disease

Watched it with tears in my eyes all the way through. However it wasn't until the Alkmaar owner got upset and had to walk away that I properly broke up.

Really heartbreaking.

I missed this, have had an incredibly busy week

Thanks for highlighting, will download and watch on Iplayer, seems I might be best getting ready for crying my eyes out!

Back