Has not signing a goalscorer in January killed us

The biggest problem in the last two games has been the appalling standard of defending. People letting the old guard off the hook by trying to pin it on not signing another striker, although it certainly plays a part.

They backed their manager but the spend was pretty balanced so it can’t be a considered a “mismanagement of funds” at board level.

This summer will be similar, we will spend what we have and look to balance the books.

Truthfully we should have had a DOF with a proper scouting network in place well before the end of last season.

The board let Beale a completely unproven gaffer basically sign guys he thought were good years ago.

100% on the board for me absolutely no plan whatsoever other than just throw money at Beale and hope for the best.

As per the thread title, would signing a proven 'number 9' have made a difference to us? I know instinctively most will say yes, so looking at the 2 defeats v Motherwell, Ross County and the draw v celtic would a better striker than Dessers have made the difference?
Yes, money should have been found for shankland. A gamble to get us to the title and champions league money was one we would have accepted.

Every man and his dog said it would and it's a major part of the issue, the other being the whole fucking back four being absolutely piss poor on a weekly basis conceding goals an under 9s team would be embarrassed about with zero repercussions, I genuinely do not know how Goldson or Souter (hearts player, that's his level) are playing on a weekly basis for us when Balogun is available and the captain needs to be talked about, he's been getting away with absolutely murder for far too long, he's costing goals down that side weekly now.
The odd penalty every other week is completely papering over the cracks, if he wasn't the captain he'd have been dropped by now in any other football team.
They all need gutted, serial fucking losers.
I'm currently on holiday and I can't let that go today, I am absolutely fucking seething with that lot, fed fucking up of having my hopes built up only for that shower to %^*& it all up as usual.

Yes. Dessers is a Greek tragedy.

I know he’s not Greek ffs but he’s a car crash of a striker, enough is enough.
He had 2 good chances today and fluffed both, while the defence didn't cover themselves in glory, Dessers has cost us the league today. had we went in 2 or 3 up, the game would have been different. But the problem we have is Dessers at the moment is peak Dessers, it's not like this is the kick up the arse he needs to move on.

He had 2 good chances today and fluffed both, while the defence didn't cover themselves in glory, Dessers has cost us the league today. had we went in 2 or 3 up, the game would have been different. But the problem we have is Dessers at the moment is peak Dessers, it's not like this is the kick up the arse he needs to move on.
He should not play for us again but where would we be without his 18 goals? I don’t want to consider it either and personally I want him gone. So very fed up tonight.

As per the thread title, would signing a proven 'number 9' have made a difference to us? I know instinctively most will say yes, so looking at the 2 defeats v Motherwell, Ross County and the draw v celtic would a better striker than Dessers have made the difference?
Daft Question tbf.

A 'proven' number 9 (assuming your definition of 'proven' is that he scores goals instinctively, regularly and in big pressure situations) would imo have got us winning all 3 game without question

However any team would covet a clinical striker as they dont grow on trees but I cannot believe that there wasn't a better option than Dessers available in January.

And, yes, even though I thought signing Shankland was too late in his career, i think he'd have proven more valuable in the title run in than Dessers.

Last edited:
yeah that would be my opinion how we have reached this stage. We didnt have the money to do so though. That`s the reality of it.

we bought 3 strikers last summer, lammers, dessers and danilo. one was not very good, the other is injured and the remaining one isn't very clinical in front of goal.

factor in roofe and whatever in heavens is wrong with him and that`s the problem. No club can just keep buying strikers when they're several already on the books, performing or not.

The defence is Imploding - striker ain’t the biggest problem. We scored 2 and hit the bar - it was three we let in this week and last week that’s the problem.

Yes but according to the manager there was no money. Replace Dessers with Shankland and we win this. We’re in a situation where Hearts and the sheep have a better striker than us.

Thanks Beale.
Money should have been found. Perhaps for example some of us could have bought our season tickets for next season early and that might have enabled us to bring a striker in?

Just like our defenders are all accident prone, all our strikers are similarly accident prone at the other end and have been profligate in front of goal all season.

Rarely has there been a game this season when we've clinical, Hearts 5-0 is the only one that really comes to mind but too many games we've had chances to bury teams only to miss chance after chance and end up holding on to our plums near the end with a one goal lead.

And as bad as we were today in that 1st half, we could've broken the will of Ross County had we taken chances at the right time before our arse collapsed in the 2nd half.

Yes, but there is an argument the defence should have been upgraded as well. Just look at the amount and the type of goals we’re losing.

Said it since the January window closed. We will regret not signing a striker. Dessers is not good enough. Scores a goal in how many chances? Nowhere near good enough numbers for a Rangers team. His poor form in front of goal and absolute chaotic defending has cost us. We now need to beat that mob instead of needing a point (if we’d won out two games in hand).. Manger and his fu*king crazy team selections as well hasn’t helped us either.
Can see I’ve not really calmed down yet.

I said it at the time but I genuinely cannot believe that the power people at our club watched the amount of missed chances at the Piggery on 30/12/23 and thought we’d get away with what we have.

We’ll always look back on this season as one which could have been won between January-April 2024. We should have a solid lead by now.

Instead we are 4 points behind.

Yes. Sign Shankland and we win the league.

Blame the Rangers Board for continual mismanagement of funds and not having a clue how to run a football club.
Id seriously like to know that aswell how we didn’t have a couple of million to go and get a player.

When the match sponsor for the most watched spfl game in history was as scaffolding it told me all I needed to know about that side of things.

The board thought paying a loan fee for a 'prem' player would get it done.

Leaving aside the fact that the manager deems him not good enough to play in his preferred position, Silva's impotence in front of goal betrays a lack of real understanding in the boardroom.

Next season is make or break for them. If things don't go to plan, Clement will receive criticism but the ire will be focused on the directors.

One league and two cups (at this juncture) over a nine year period isn't terribly flattering. Assuming the season ends in a whimper and the league isn't won next term, the success rate over a decade means that they couldn't have too many complaints if the fans demand change.

Can the players muster something in the next seven games to save the season?
If today is anything to go by, you'd have to emphatically say no.

Id seriously like to know that aswell how we didn’t have a couple of million to go and get a player.

When the match sponsor for the most watched spfl game in history was as scaffolding it told me all I needed to know about that side of things.
They've stuck their names on the granite plinths outside Edmiston House.

Small beer.

Money should have been found. Perhaps for example some of us could have bought our season tickets for next season early and that might have enabled us to bring a striker in?
That’s mental. Rangers are starting to piss me off in a lot of ways with regards to money or the lack of it. There should be money for players at all times because you don’t know when a player might come up or you might need one.

As a second point with regards to money the 4 games and your seat subbed rule doesn’t really apply to me but if I’m paying £840 a season I expect that seat to be available to me at all times and not need to check in with the ticket office like a child. Rangers now have enough fans willing to just put up with whatever they serve they’re past caring.

Just got in from work and calmed down enough to watch MOTD and now sportscene - the chances Dessers messed up are brutal.

We should’ve been at least two up before their first goal.

I also hope that Alex Rae booted Barasic up the arse as he was nowhere to be seen for their second and you can see the team were reluctant to give him the ball.

Yilmaz has been a massive loss - more than anything I believe as we can then deploy Sterling.

As I can’t be bothered going onto another thread - why when we two 10s and later Matondo on did we not take short corners and shoot from angles.
I used to think Goldson was a rock - he’s a pussy with a head like a 50p piece with the way his headers go.

Rant over.

FWIW - I think we will beat or draw with them but mess up somewhere else.

Hamlet..

I said it at the time but I genuinely cannot believe that the power people at our club watched the amount of missed chances at the Piggery on 30/12/23 and thought we’d get away with what we have.

We’ll always look back on this season as one which could have been won between January-April 2024. We should have a solid lead by now.

Instead we are 4 points behind.
Couldn’t agree more - it’s so short sighted.

It’s even worse when that lot are pish, but we can’t have a unified team on the park that wants to go out and batter fck out everyone in the league after challenging Europes elite ffs - small margins is all they are winning by - but we don’t half make it so much harder.

Certainly hasn’t helped.
And if Danilo is worth 6 million, I’ll eat my hat!
Shankland would have had 30+ goals this season.
If he had been presented with the same amount of chances that Danillo and Dessers have had this season.
Dessers needs at least 5 chances to possibly score 1.
Danillo possibly 3 to 1.When fit.
Sima has been our best striker this season by a country mile!
And now after probably blowing the league, bar a miracle, it’s unlikely we will see him returning.Certainly not on a permanent basis.

100% should have but we were also crying out for wingers as we had none in the squad, cortes looked a player, also good for a goal, silva for me has been a disapointment, Diomande has been decent and chipped in with a couple. Relying on Dessers was always going to end up one way though as shown at all of his previous clubs. Roofe can never be relied upon and Danilo we knew was going to be out for the season.

If Roofe is fit for the bench he should be fir to start. We then likely go 2 nil up as he scores that chance Dessers missed.

Good save my arse, keeper should have had no chance.

Yes, money should have been found for shankland. A gamble to get us to the title and champions league money was one we would have accepted.
Does FFP not count anymore. Clubs have to spend within a limit. I'm sure this was taken into account and why Diomande is being paid for later.

A goal scorer changes the opposition’s mentality on a pitch. If our centre forward could put the ball in the net more regularly with the chances he gets it would likely make our opponent a bit more cautious. As it stands, they can run past our slow midfield to get at our school boy defenders to score two or three goals in the knowledge big Cyriel will more than likely miss his good opportunities at the other end.

(Yes I’m still upset)

Yes but according to the manager there was no money. Replace Dessers with Shankland and we win this. We’re in a situation where Hearts and the sheep have a better striker than us.

Thanks Beale.

If we’d signed Shankland in January Hearts wouldn’t have beat Celtic.

Defence sh at it.

We can slag the strikers all we want and as much as a good striker would make a difference, we’ve scored 5 goals in 2 games but conceded 6.

Back