Has not signing a goalscorer in January killed us

Yes but we are skint any signing for a fee was based on Yilmaz leaving just like the summer we will have to sell to fund transfers
But probably paying a fair chunk of Silva’s wages I bet.
Let’s say 50% of the reputed £80/wk

20 weeks x £40k = £800k at least

Yes but according to the manager there was no money. Replace Dessers with Shankland and we win this. We’re in a situation where Hearts and the sheep have a better striker than us.

Thanks Beale.
I’d say every team in the league has a better striker not just the 2 mentioned.

No.

We've needed to score 4 goals in the last two games to win them.

That indicates the problem lies with the defence.
It’s not either or. Weak at the back and blunt up front. The manager was working miracles but our frailties are being exposed now that our mental scarring is kicking in at end of season crunch time.

Or utilise the loan market better.
Silva has been a waste of any wage we have spent. Just another to add to the scrapheap of exciting January loan flops with the likes of Ramsay and Diallo.

Without a doubt, Dessers may come across as a nice guy etc but not in a million years is he the answer for us going forward.

100 per cent. Yes our defence is brutal but our main strikers does not take chances. problem was we had no money in Jan to spend!!!

It has but we simply didn't have any money due to Beale screwing us over. Not sure if there were any free options out there that would have helped but I guess that was a route that Clement did not want to go down. Losing a couple of players to injury in that role didn't help either.

I am sure we could have opted to load a striker rather than the options we did go for.

I really cant believe that Clement could not have found a better striker than Dessers in January. We signed Silva who looked decent then play him out wide to accomodate Dessers.
Years of mis management and having a shite signing policy has hamstrung the club.

I would also blame the manager partly. You get games like that yesterday where you struggle and then you are gifted with a goal. Sometimes you have to just accept that your having a bad game and then shut the game down and accept 1_0
We came out the second half and went at them with no thought for the defense. Both full backs playing as wingers when we were already winning the game. We could have invited then to us and hit them on the break. That was amateur hour from the manager.
How many games under Walter did we play poor but closed the game down and won a scrappy 1-0

Dessers needs to be replaced in the summer but I don't know who would take him. The limited times that I have seen Danilo makes me think that he is not the answer either. As for Silva he can go back to Wolves anytime he likes.

Priorities in the summer will be a goalkeeper , if Butland goes, two new CB's, a new right back, a couple of midfielders and a striker. It's a big job for Big Phil in the summer.

Head in the sand mate. Just like your take on Lundstram

My head generally tends to be in GR when watching us play football, the goals we have scored hasn't been an issue, we have just dropped points in a week when we scored 5 goals, it sort of shows what the problem is.

I have no idea what Lundstram take you mean, you seem to take a deeper care in what I post than I do.

It was the Summer business which fcked us rather than January. Other than Balogun we didn't adreess the defence and instead squandered money on Dessers and Lammers.

Everyone said that a striker was a must. Except Clement. He said that wasn't the problem area.
We’ve scored 5 goals and lost 6 in the last 2 games and we’ve dropped points.

Not having a clinical striker has obviously been a real problem but the defence falling apart at critical moments has been a bigger problem I think.

It’s hard to choose between the two :-(

I dont think its simply down to not having a reliable striker but a collective of issues.

Butland hasnt been great the last two games, he could've done a lot better with a few of the 6 goals conceded.

Ridvan being injured again has been a big problem for us, he looks good but Barisic is simply awful and having to play Sterling at LB instead of midfield hampers us.

Silva is not and never will be a winger.

The managers starting 11 at times seems baffling, in the main we've been able to make changes to see change games but starting Wright last week, Dowell this week was strange.

Killie brought in Van Veen on loan, fair enough he's not done anything with them but look at the amount of goals he managed for Motherwell last season, if he'd got the amount of chances Dessers has had he just might have been doing a job for us in the league

Yes but according to the manager there was no money. Replace Dessers with Shankland and we win this. We’re in a situation where Hearts and the sheep have a better striker than us.

Thanks Beale.
Going by yesterday performances so do Ross County! And he was at Queens Park a year ago.

Grim.

Keeping the same defence that has failed continously has been a bigger problem imo.

Best defence wins the league and we've had the best defence one time since coming back up.

Irrelevant RE: yesterdays. Dessers misses a sitter at 1-0 which kills the game if it goes in. County lose any hope and certainly don't go onto score 3.

No excusing the defence which is also a fucking disgrace.
You would think this should be quite easy for people to understand, play quite crap score lucky og, then tap in 2-0 probably game over... might even be a hammering and turn out to be a good performance. It is probably any mention of Shankland that annoys folk as they once again got it so badly wrong but it did not have to be a player from our league it could have been someone on loan that was a finisher.

Not signing a proper number 9 in the summer killed us never mind January. People continually forget that January is an unbelievably tough time to buy players. If you are going to buy an in form player then you are going to pay double his value. If you cannot afford the in form players then you have to look at players who are not playing, so not match fit and teams still want big bucks for those. Shankland would've cost us 4m plus, that is a big risk. Say we pay that and he gets crocked just like Cortes does, we are 4m out of pocket for a guy much closer to his 30's.

Allowing Beale to control our signing policy in the summer has killed us. Plus, bad luck has killed us. I mean Danilo, Cortes, now Diomande, Sima out for 3 months, Cantwell injuries, Yilmaz injuries, then you have Jack and Roofe we are never fit enough

7m on Dessers and Lammers is just lunacy

Drop Dessers and play Sima through the middle. I have said this all season. Sima would be on 30 goals just now.

Shankland and Ryan Porteous for around the same price we paid for Matondo

Walter would have probably signed both. Certainly Shankland.

We really miss that knack of signing an SPL player now who works out as solid player for us and it’s in games like yesterday where they prove their worth.

100 per cent. Yes our defence is brutal but our main strikers does not take chances. problem was we had no money in Jan to spend!!!
This seems to be a point that is missed in the we should have bought a striker discussion
We had almost no funds to spend on transfers
It’s really frustrating but the legacy of Beale impacted significantly in Jan due to the budget he was given and the limited impact of some of his signings

Not been helped by Danilo being injured - Lammers just not delivering and roofe constantly breaking down

Would imagine clement is even more frustrated than any of us

The Shankland chat is absolutely exhausting. Maybe, just maybe, PC didn't want Shankland anyway? Remember some posters getting hysterical and saying we should be moving for van Veen. 9 games on loan at Killie, 0 goals.

There was hee haw chat about Shankland, and very little about the defence when we were on a good run with the best defensive record in the league and sitting top. Now that it's cost us points having two poor defensive performances back to back and Dessers missing his usual chances, and we're in crisis.

It's not over, I still think they'll drop points as well as us. We just need to regroup and focus on one game at a time. 3 points on Wednesday and the mood will change. Again.

A team is only as good as their striker and ours is hopeless.

Yes the defence has been murder but a top striker scores at least one of they chances yesterday and some of the hatfull of chances against Motherwell.

Goals change games and takes the pressure off the back 4.

Not signing a striker in January has killed us and most of our fans called it. The board have let us and the manager down.

I hope to god someone is stupid enough to take Dessers in the summer and this let's us strengthen in that area.

The thought of watching him smile after every miss And leading the line next season gives me the fear.

I really cant believe that Clement could not have found a better striker than Dessers in January. We signed Silva who looked decent then play him out wide to accomodate Dessers.
Years of mis management and having a shite signing policy has hamstrung the club.

I would also blame the manager partly. You get games like that yesterday where you struggle and then you are gifted with a goal. Sometimes you have to just accept that your having a bad game and then shut the game down and accept 1_0
We came out the second half and went at them with no thought for the defense. Both full backs playing as wingers when we were already winning the game. We could have invited then to us and hit them on the break. That was amateur hour from the manager.
How many games under Walter did we play poor but closed the game down and won a scrappy 1-0
we are doing to silva what we done with lammers playing him out of position to accomotate dessers, not saying he is a natural goal scorer but is a better option than dessers ,who was contributing more when he was being brought on for 20 minutes or so to go

I knew there would be a thread on this because it was so bloody OBVIOUS we needed a CF not Diomande/CM.

That's where the money should have went. Yes, I realise we haven't paid for him yet.

Why do we keep making simple mistakes?

Lack of goals throughout our team has killed us. Apart from Tavernier, Dessers (who should have scored more, but credit where it's due) and Sima, nobody has contributed a respectable volume of goals for the position they play. Danilo gets a pass given his injury. Injuries have of course been a problem limiting game time for others too. Simply too few guys are carrying too much of the burden.

But to OP's point: we knew going into the January window that the team lacked goals. We knew about Daniel's injury and then Sima's. We should never have been thinking of Kenar Roofe as an option even at the start of this season, and certainly not by January. "But we did buy a striker" - I don't think any of us expected Silva to come in and score 15, massive price tag or not.

We needed goals from somewhere and we weren't going to be buying 3-4 goalscoring midfielders, so yes, we should have been looking at bringing in one guy with a decent goalscoring record. It didn't need to be Shankland. It didn't need to be somebody we'd all heard of. Somebody who could have scored 10-15 between January and May would have made all the difference: putting games to bed, giving Dessers a break, putting Celtic on the back foot, perhaps taking wins from Motherwell and Ross County instead of two abject failures that are likely to cost us the title.

We didn't do it, and so for the third season in a row we're turning to Roofe in the hope that this time, maybe this time he can stay fit for 6 weeks and also salvage our season. It's beyond depressing.

Which of the 6 goals in 2 games would Shankland have stopped ?
This is it really. I think the idea that not buying a striker has been our downfall will be something pushed by fans who just don’t want to pin any of the blame on guys like Goldson and Tavernier, who have without a doubt been the biggest culprits is in our last 2 games. Yeah we should have brought in a goal scorer, but that’s not been our downfall. Our downfall has been a backline that can’t handle the heat.

Not as big as some make out

Goals haven’t been that great an issue
? Goals have not been an issue - that is some take. If Dessers had scored 1/2/3/4/5/6 chances in these games we go 2/0 or 3/0 game over. Yesterday misses a sitter to make it 2-0 the game was over then as they probably sit back scared of 4 or 5

? Goals have not been an issue - that is some take. If Dessers had scored 1/2/3/4/5/6 chances in these games we go 2/0 or 3/0 game over. Yesterday misses a sitter to make it 2-0 the game was over then as they probably sit back scared of 4 or 5
I don’t rate Dessers but how many goals do you propose he should have scored, 60 apparently.

Yesterday we were fortunate not to be 1-0 down after 40 seconds if you wish to be selective of big chances missed during a game. Ross County weren’t “scared” of us they set about us early

The week before we were 1-0 down after 30 seconds

We were behind against Motherwell and looked rattled

We were behind against Kilmarnock

All in recent league games, we have been starting slowly

There is no would be 4 or 5 scenario in recent games where points have been dropped

Last edited:
I knew there would be a thread on this because it was so bloody OBVIOUS we needed a CF not Diomande/CM.

That's where the money should have went. Yes, I realise we haven't paid for him yet.

Why do we keep making simple mistakes?
In what world didn’t we need a midfielder?

Did you not watch our game yesterday when Diomande wasn’t playing?

Our midfield is a complete wreck even with the addition of Diomande

In what world didn’t we need a midfielder?

Did you not watch our game yesterday when Diomande wasn’t playing?

Our midfield is a complete wreck even with the addition of Diomande
If you think we needed a CM more than CF that's up to you.

If you think we needed a CM more than CF that's up to you.
We needed both which is why we signed both.

Our midfield was, and really still is, a complete wreck

CF was clearly a harder issue to solve in one window given we have a 6 million striker injured who is going to come back at some point.

Our problem for years has been not taking the chances that we create. And it's continued and will cost the title.

In all three Celtic games we've been undone by failing to take our opportunities - while they've managed to do so.

No I dont think so, our main problem has been in defence, the last 2 games merely back up that statement, the centre of our defence you could drive a bus through, we also lack bottle, fluency, and an ability to play at a decent pace, for a team supposedly challenging for the title our passing of the ball is fkn scandalous, I am talking about easy passes between players of no more than 10 yards, we cant do that right.
I have said for as long as I can remember if we were relying on Dessers to get us goals it has backfired spectacularly, lets face it watching him can most of the time be embarrassing, I have seen some poor strikers in my time but Dessers is head and shoulders above them all, as my old man would have said a Pudding.

Definitely. We’d have a healthy lead right now if we signed Shankland. Obviously it didn’t have to be him specifically but it made the most sense and out of any striker we could have brought in you’d hazard a guess that he’d be the one to integrate the easiest.
Shankland would have fucking dragged this team to the title. But it’s looking now that we gambled, and lost, ~60m, to save ~4m.

On what fucking planet when the last game before the window opens when we all witnessed our only available striker take about 40 touches in the poet’s box before failing to get his shot off do we not sign a striker in January? Very bad call that has likely cost us. All my opinion.

Back