Hugh Burns told to tone it down on rangers tv

Maybe the Club are trying to make the 'product' more slick and professional with a view to selling rights abroad?
Damn fine point there ser, though most broadcasters abroad would want to do their own commentary over the top of the video stream. Besides, I'm not certain how many non Brits could understand the copious amount of colloquialisms and accents of Tom and Hugh. :D

Just thinking, hes probably been told to lay off the hospitality scoops before the match, a few times hes sounded worse for wear haha

What about Tom Miller? Has anyone asked him to stop waffling on about bread baskets and bagotelles?
“Referee produces a yellow ticket”

When any average shot from distance is described as an “Exocet”.

“Hello to the Naples Loyal!”

“He’s just emptied him”

For those of us abroad, it’s chronic. I’d love to enjoy the game without him waffling on.

However, I’ll always remember Tam’s monologue the first game after admin. Was stirring stuff, and he was a credit to the club that day.

He needs to get a grip and increase his vocabulary. I find it embarrassing that he uses " wee " in every sentence. Makes Rangers look like a pub team.

Seriously?

So when Hugh Burns says “wee”...... you think “oh, im no showing my face doon the pub the night after that”

He just said on rocksport radio he has been told to tone it down on rtv next season.

Always liked him on rtv alot of the ex players on it are quite boring
I hope he resigns on principle.. love his honesty.he doesnt toe the line like tom.. who tbh does my box in

Rather listen to a combination of him and Tom on RTV than the absolute shit we need to put up with on BT sports.
At least RTV is fair, if it's a penalty to the opposition or a red card for a Rangers player and the commentators see it again clearly they say; "penalty for sure" or "aye that's fair it's a red" - on BT you'd think the player pumped the rhat's wife before he ran onto the park.
The same goes the other way against us.

Look out for an improved product overall this season. We are looking to take advantage of the Far East market and so will be polishing up RTV to be more in line with the Manchester Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool product. We may even get studio discussion at half time rather than RTV interviews and the Mastermind type features. Our media department has recruited well over the last few months and we are driving ahead quickly. Oh, and more detailed youth coverage has been promised for the coming year too.

Hugh does like to shout GO ON SON !!! quite a bit, but I like his commentary and he showed more enthusiasm than a lot of the players last season

He's commentating on a Bear's TV show and he's a Bear...what the f.uck?!

Hugh misses the (social) cues of when to talk or listen and often shouts over people, usually due to excitement. It's nothing major but that's his problem. His love of Rangers clearly outweighs this.

Tom Miller doesn’t shut the fu,ck up so not sure where these cues would come from

“He’s just emptied him”

For those of us abroad, it’s chronic. I’d love to enjoy the game without him waffling on.

However, I’ll always remember Tam’s monologue the first game after admin. Was stirring stuff, and he was a credit to the club that day.

"Shoulder to shoulder" is another favourite :D

Haw Rangers

If Im going to watch a game and pay you £5.99 for the pleasure

Someone that actually cares whether we win or not

Someone that knows the lineup from last week

Is very welcome

Tone down the ‘Ive not watched them much this season’ invites and give us more of people like Hugh Burns.

I’ve always thought Hugh was a bit cringe when listening on RTV

Look out for an improved product overall this season. We are looking to take advantage of the Far East market and so will be polishing up RTV to be more in line with the Manchester Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool product. We may even get studio discussion at half time rather than RTV interviews and the Mastermind type features. Our media department has recruited well over the last few months and we are driving ahead quickly. Oh, and more detailed youth coverage has been promised for the coming year too.

I don't know how much your itk but do you think they'll ever move to an actual tv format? There's plenty plenty platforms this could be done on like now tv ect I think it could open us up to a lot more fans getting involved with rtv

No doubt Tom is a bear but some of the stuff he talks about during the game would send you to sleep.

Commentate on the game man :D

Hugh Burns livens it up in my opinion .

Not just commentate, but "TV commentate". Tom, unfortunately, commentates like we're listening to radio, instead him realising he's watching the same stuff that we are. It's painful.
He may be a Bear, but that should not be the only qualification on getting the gig.

“He’s just emptied him”

Turn it into a drinking game.

No doubting there big Rangers fans but can't help but cringe listening to them.

A few videos on YouTube mocking them.

I’m getting to the point where I just want someone on who says ‘Morelos’ instead of Morales.

Usually watch the replays on Rangers tv the day after it fuckin infuriates me listening to Morales every week :D

Sometimes Miller and Burns can do my head in with inane comments/clichés and screeching, but RTV is never going to be a slick production aimed at general audiences. It's for Rangers fans and I'm glad Rangers fans do it. It may grate if you have to watch it dozens of times a season; I only use RTV when I'm not able to get to the game for whatever reason. It's also very easy to set up a VPN and make sure that six quid goes to the club.

I'd still rather Miller and Burns than some of the balloons who have been on in the past, many of whom clearly watch us three or four times a year at most. I don't think there should be any rush to replace them. I doubt they cost the club a fortune at all, and they're genuine at the very least.

I’m not a fan of Tom the commentator and think we sound amateurish when some guests are on

Think RTV could do with a big upgrade

I’d like to see them pitchsode before it getting the build up and at half time etc

I wonder if it's more that Miller finds Burns irritating.
Burns always manically shouts over the top of Miller when Rangers close in on goal, trampling all over his commentary when they score.
Must drive Miller nuts, as this is the most important part of his job. (Cue jokes about Miller's commentary being crap, but there should be a professional respect there, he's been doing it for years)
I prefer co-commentary from other ex-players because you get a bit of analysis.
Burns is just like a bevvied hyperactive fan whose not that bright and got handed a microphone.

I don't know how much your itk but do you think they'll ever move to an actual tv format? There's plenty plenty platforms this could be done on like now tv ect I think it could open us up to a lot more fans getting involved with rtv

Only passing on what I heard from a recent employee in the media department. I don’t think we will be selling the rights to our games other than the RTV platform that we currently use - but an upgraded product should be on offer by the start of the new season and this is planned to be trialled over the friendly games during close season and will be pushed in the American and Asian markets with Gerrard as the vehicle. I suppose the best I can give you is ‘watch this space’ - but everything I have heard has been positive and progressive.

The Wife (Yankee) struggles to understand my mates when we visit back home - something about the thick Fifer accents and slang words.

I was watching a game on RTV (Tom and Burns commentating) last season where she happened to be in the house and she piped up "I cant understand a word those two are saying. They sound like two drunks in a bar and shouldn't be anywhere near TV".

Can't say I disagree.

I'm not one for condoning the almost hysterical outbursts during commentaries in a country that has been so dumbed down that we need everything exaggerated to soap opera levels. That's pathetic. But when listening to Hugh Burns his enthusiasm is great, natural, and that of someone not just summarising, but also supporting the team. Good stuff.

Loved their commentary on the Aberdeen 0 - 3 Rangers match where Miller and Dodoo scored. Completely unprofessional and just like two guys watching it in the pub but amazing.

Where are you getting this information from? Would have been a good idea to let subscribers know?

Will this new format have an effect on the cost? It’s already nearly £200 for a years subscription

Gawn yersel Hugh. Love listening to you and actually turn the volume up when you're on.

Kevin Thomson is genuinely one of the best to listen to on it. Gives a great insight into the shape of the team and what the players should or shouldn't be trying.

All the while he has Tam beside him giving it "3 to 1 your cash"

I've noticed he stopped saying this, but its not a phrase I ever heard elsewhere. Is it a fairly common phrase when discussing odds? Any particular meaning?

I like him. You don’t want “impartiality” on rtv. Mind you you don’t get “impartiality” on stv, bt, sky or the other one.

He’s like a fan. It’s tv for fans.

The thing that makes Hugh Burns is his passion. I love him in co Comms, he is like a fan and that’s what I want. Some of the guests are awful and would put a earthquake to sleep.

Back