Hugh Burns told to tone it down on rangers tv

Not just commentate, but "TV commentate". Tom, unfortunately, commentates like we're listening to radio, instead him realising he's watching the same stuff that we are. It's painful.
He may be a Bear, but that should not be the only qualification on getting the gig.

^ exactly this... the viewers can see what is happening so there is no need for a constant stream of "Holt... passes to Tavernier... inside to Martin... up the field towards Dorrans" etc etc.

Not to mention the fact that Miller routinely misses offside calls, cards and other match incidents because he's too busy chatting utter sh1te about something totally unrelated to the game.

Burns isn't the worst pundit on there (step forward Kevin Drinkell and Alan Mclaren) but some of his chat is pretty cringeworthy. And he's one of the Morales club, which is inexcusable.

I appreciate they are bears but a little professionalism isn't too much to ask for when we're paying nigh on 200 quid a year.

I've noticed he stopped saying this, but its not a phrase I ever heard elsewhere. Is it a fairly common phrase when discussing odds? Any particular meaning?

It’s a common enough saying, it just means you’re getting 3/1 for your money.

Where are you getting this information from? Would have been a good idea to let subscribers know?

Will this new format have an effect on the cost? It’s already nearly £200 for a years subscription

The information came from someone I know who has been recently employed to work In the media department. I only got the chance to speak briefly about the ideas they were working on - but it seems like they are working hard to improve the product on offer. I didn’t ask whether the subscription would increase, but personally I cannot see that happen. I too pay the annual subscription as I travel quite a lot for work and I rely on the RTV coverage - so I know that there is room for improvement and that it is a decent chunk for punters to pay.

Was it him that was responsible for mentally challengeds "whits the goalie dain Tom?" patter?

^ exactly this... the viewers can see what is happening so there is no need for a constant stream of "Holt... passes to Tavernier... inside to Martin... up the field towards Dorrans" etc etc.

Not to mention the fact that Miller routinely misses offside calls, cards and other match incidents because he's too busy chatting utter sh1te about something totally unrelated to the game.

Burns isn't the worst pundit on there (step forward Kevin Drinkell and Alan Mclaren) but some of his chat is pretty cringeworthy. And he's one of the Morales club, which is inexcusable.

I appreciate they are bears but a little professionalism isn't too much to ask for when we're paying nigh on 200 quid a year.

Too true mate. I'm a Bear too and not bad at 5's but I don't think I'd be putting myself up for a trial anytime soon - and not just because I'm decrepit.

Only passing on what I heard from a recent employee in the media department. I don’t think we will be selling the rights to our games other than the RTV platform that we currently use - but an upgraded product should be on offer by the start of the new season and this is planned to be trialled over the friendly games during close season and will be pushed in the American and Asian markets with Gerrard as the vehicle. I suppose the best I can give you is ‘watch this space’ - but everything I have heard has been positive and progressive.

Cheers mate all sounds positive on that front Asia is a huge market so glad we're going to be pushing it over there. Be great if there was an rtv app you could download for your smart tv ps or Xbox to watch the games on potential for uptake on the could be massive

I seems to me that The Shugster was poking a bit of fun at himself because he knows he can get a bit over excited at times.
I don't think for a minute he's been "carpeted" or anything like that.

Spot on mate. Miller's awful for chatting random shite and facts that aren't even pertinent to the match!

Burns is good on rocksport though!

Hugh Burns' enthusiasm is infectious. I don't want him to change one single thing about the way he talks about Rangers.

Likewise Tom Miller.

Look out for an improved product overall this season. We are looking to take advantage of the Far East market and so will be polishing up RTV to be more in line with the Manchester Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool product. We may even get studio discussion at half time rather than RTV interviews and the Mastermind type features. Our media department has recruited well over the last few months and we are driving ahead quickly. Oh, and more detailed youth coverage has been promised for the coming year too.

This sounds fantastic.
The current set-up is a bit parochial and could certainly do with some polish.
That said, I'm just delighted to be able to get every game live and put money into the club.

No difference in the UK

There's a massive difference between the quality of the product when viewed in the UK via a VPN in comparison to a dodgy stream.

Viewing in the UK via a VPN gives you impeccable quality (and you can turn your VPN off as soon as it loads) – and it, crucially, gives money to the club.
Viewing in the UK with a dodgy stream will generally see you watch someone with horrendous quality – and it is illegal and denies the club money.

Massive difference between the two.

Shuggie Burns is one of the troops.

A working class guy who made it to play with Rangers.

I am not embarrassed in the slightest with his commentary, he speaks from the heart and says it like a true blue.

Maybe those criticising him prefer the wee tit Liam McCleod of BBC Scotland.

Living in Canada I rely on RTV. Every game home and away live. Well worth the money.

Miller can be dull but for me Lovenkrands is the best. Real passion and his knowledge of the game is excellent. Screams like a fan when we are on the attack.

Hugh has immense passion for the club but he needs to commentate in english as opposed to his ayrshire dialect.

The "Whit's the goalie daein" is case in point. It's not difficult to refine your accent for media duties. Listen to David Edgar.

There's a massive difference between the quality of the product when viewed in the UK via a VPN in comparison to a dodgy stream.

Viewing in the UK via a VPN gives you impeccable quality (and you can turn your VPN off as soon as it loads) – and it, crucially, gives money to the club.
Viewing in the UK with a dodgy stream will generally see you watch someone with horrendous quality – and it is illegal and denies the club money.

Massive difference between the two.
I actually meant 3pm KO

His passion is to be commended, but he is a bit shouty at times. That's fine for the pub / stadium, but it doesn't translate well to the TV studio.

Can you use VPN to watch Rangers games in Scotland legally ?

Yes, using a VPN is perfectly legal.

You buy the game in the UK, change your location to France, for example, with your VPN, and then turn the VPN off as soon as the stream starts.

It means Bears in the UK and ROI can watch every Rangers match home and away – and pay the club for the privilege of being able to do so.

It's a great way to get money into the club for those unable to attend Ibrox regularly.

You really do wonder what kind of zoomers we have quite high up at the club making decisions like this.

"You're showing a wee bit too much partisan enthusiasm on Rangers TV Hugh, tone it down a bit eh"

:confused:

Yes, using a VPN is perfectly legal.

You buy the game in the UK, change your location to France, for example, with your VPN, and then turn the VPN off as soon as the stream starts.

It means Bears in the UK and ROI can watch every Rangers match home and away – and pay the club for the privilege of being able to do so.

It's a great way to get money into the club for those unable to attend Ibrox regularly.
So it's illegal or you wouldn't need to go through France

I’d say it violates the terms of service rather than being illegal. Don’t think they could get the coppers onto you for it, more of a civil complaint.

I don’t imagine the club care much about VPN usage since we are close to sold out for each game. They have this in their TOS because the SPFL/SFA want to limit all clubs in this regard.

Give me the commentary from Shug Burns and Tom Miller, over those yahoo arseholes Walker, Crocker, Sutton etc any day.

You're completely wrong.
Using a VPN to watch RangersTV, Netflix or anything else is not illegal.
At worst, it may be against terms of service.

However, in the case of RangersTV, people are choosing to use VPNs in the UK and ROI to watch RTV and give the money to the club.
This may be against the terms of service, but the club are hardly going to complain when fans are choosing this method over illegal streams that give the club no money.

To repeat, watching RTV in the UK or ROI via a VPN – and paying the club to be able to do so – is 100% legal.

I'm personally unable to get to Ibrox more than a couple of times a season. Using a VPN to get RTV, sees me put £17.25 per month into the club that they wouldn't otherwise receive.
How can this be a bad thing?

Although the club can't do anything to promote this in the UK and ROI because of TV deals etc, we should be doing everything we can to highlight being able to watch RTV in the UK and ROI to anyone unable to attend the games.

Anyone choosing to pay Rangers to watch RTV in the comfort of their own home – whether they use a VPN or not – is alright in my book.
Why give Sky or BT money and get a paltry amount of Rangers games when you can get every Rangers game and know that your entire amount of money is going directly to the club?

Getting RTV was one of the best things I've done.

Is It Legal to Use VPNs in the UK?
Short and to the point, yes, yes it is legal to use a VPN in the United Kingdom. There is not a single UK law which would forbid or prevent you from doing so. You’re well within your rights.

So is a VPN legal to use in the UK when it comes to using Netflix? Absolutely. You aren’t breaking the law. You aren’t watching illegal content. You pay for your subscription. As of today, there isn’t any direct law in the UK that relates to using VPN services to watch content in different countries when you are paying for a subscription. It sure might be against the Terms of Use, but when legality is concerned, it’s perfectly fine.

Been a 'full package' RTV subscriber for years & never miss a game live if I can help it, 04:30, 0:5:30, 06:30, 08:00 is all the same to me.
Have been reduced to watching with the sound off as most of the time as 'Tom Commentator' does my head in .........

Kevin Thomson, Andy Little, Peter Lovenkrands, even Marco Negri recently, make it bearable. Best time is when TM is on holiday, sadly.

Love the enthusiasm of Hugh Burns but as noted above, the accent may not help when trying to attract a wider audience ...........

A 'proper' pre/post game show with a h/t discussion has to come soon.

Seriously?

So when Hugh Burns says “wee”...... you think “oh, im no showing my face doon the pub the night after that”
Four times in one sentence. We are Rangers and should exude professionalism. If he cuts that out, he is still far better than Drinkell, dullest commentator ever.

If we are eventually to expand to other markets we cannot have " great wee dink from wee Holtie to wee Morelos setting up a wee chance. I know he is one of us but he has to wise up.

Wee man does my head in :D

What about Tom Miller? Has anyone asked him to stop waffling on about bread baskets and bagotelles?

I agree that Tom can be repetitive (add "an exocet", "yellow ticket", "emptied him" to the above list) but I can just about overlook / tolerate that, and most of the time I think he's OK.

The one thing that really annoys me about his commentary is when he gets WAYYYYY off-topic. As I have posted before on here, one game around the turn of the year, Rangers were on the attack, approaching the opposition penalty box, and Tom says to his co-commentator (I think it was Lovenkrands)....

"So, Peter, what did Santa bring you this year?" :eek:

You're completely wrong.
Using a VPN to watch RangersTV, Netflix or anything else is not illegal.
At worst, it may be against terms of service.

However, in the case of RangersTV, people are choosing to use VPNs in the UK and ROI to watch RTV and give the money to the club.
This may be against the terms of service, but the club are hardly going to complain when fans are choosing this method over illegal streams that give the club no money.

To repeat, watching RTV in the UK or ROI via a VPN – and paying the club to be able to do so – is 100% legal.

I'm personally unable to get to Ibrox more than a couple of times a season. Using a VPN to get RTV, sees me put £17.25 per month into the club that they wouldn't otherwise receive.
How can this be a bad thing?

Although the club can't do anything to promote this in the UK and ROI because of TV deals etc, we should be doing everything we can to highlight being able to watch RTV in the UK and ROI to anyone unable to attend the game

Anyone choosing to pay Rangers to watch RTV in the comfort of their own home – whether they use a VPN or not – is alright in my book.
Why give Sky or BT money and get a paltry amount of Rangers games when you can get every Rangers game and know that your entire amount of money is going directly to the club?

Getting RTV was one of the best things I've done.

Is It Legal to Use VPNs in the UK?
Short and to the point, yes, yes it is legal to use a VPN in the United Kingdom. There is not a single UK law which would forbid or prevent you from doing so. You’re well within your rights.

So is a VPN legal to use in the UK when it comes to using Netflix? Absolutely. You aren’t breaking the law. You aren’t watching illegal content. You pay for your subscription. As of today, there isn’t any direct law in the UK that relates to using VPN services to watch content in different countries when you are paying for a subscription. It sure might be against the Terms of Use, but when legality is concerned, it’s perfectly fine.
I think you will find that SKY /BT would sue a pub under the copyright law or we wouldn't be paying £18K a year.

I think you will find that SKY /BT would sue a pub under the copyright law or we wouldn't be paying £18K a year.
I'm not a legal eagle so I couldn't tell you if Sky/BT could sue you for showing only RTV via a VPN in your pub (obviously showing their programmes via VPN would be a big no-no).
As an aside, £1500 a month just to show sports in your pub is an outrageous amount of money considering the difficulties public houses are having at the present time.
That's some amount of pints to shift before you even kick a ball!

That's a matter between pubs and Sky/BT, whereas I'm clearly talking about home users.
I couldn't say for sure, but I'm not sure pubs/clubs are meant to be viewing RTV anywhere in the world. It's a service for individuals, as far as I know.

I have no idea whether you could be sued by Sky/BT for showing Rangers games via VPN.
I'll leave that to you as it's your area of expertise.

However, since you seem determined to argue over this matter, let me state it as fact again: it is not illegal to use a VPN in the UK.

Let's be honest about it, his vocabulary is very limited. He shouts a lot and doesn't offer much in way of informing you what's actually happeing. K. Thomson is much better. As for Miller, well he is a supporter, that's about it. Needs improvement all round if we are to explore other markets.

That's a matter between pubs and Sky/BT, whereas I'm clearly talking about home users.
I couldn't say for sure, but I'm not sure pubs/clubs are meant to be viewing RTV anywhere in the world. It's a service for individuals, as far as I know.

I have no idea whether you could be sued by Sky/BT for showing Rangers games via VPN.
I'll leave that to you as it's your area of expertise.

However, since you seem determined to argue over this matter, let me state it as fact again: it is not illegal to use a VPN in the UK.
I take your word for it, but it is illegal to show any Scottish Football match without the consent of the SPFL or SFA
And you are right, pubs are crucified by playing by the rules. But The Louden is too big and well known to use a VPN

I'm not a legal eagle so I couldn't tell you if Sky/BT could sue you for showing only RTV via a VPN in your pub (obviously showing their programmes via VPN would be a big no-no).
As an aside, £1500 a month just to show sports in your pub is an outrageous amount of money considering the difficulties public houses are having at the present time.
That's some amount of pints to shift before you even kick a ball!
Oh they can and will sue any pub that shows games by any means apart from their own transmission,
We need to show football so we have no choice

Back