Ianis Hagi

Hagi is part of a very long list of rubbish we need to punt, we're never winning league titles with Hagi as one of the "main men" in the team.

We'd be in trouble if he was starting games next season. Seems a good lad but not what we need. Hopefully we can move him on for a fee and reinvest.

Just caught the Alavés managers press conference there and he said he expects Hagi to be involved over the next few games so hopefully get to see him midweek against Madrid

He’s just not very good, he’s slack in the ball, his technical ability is overrated and he’s so poor physically, has no pace or power to his game. He’ll most likely be out on another loan next season or sold for a small fee.
You could apply that to Cantwell.

I actually think in a midfield 3 Hagi is a better option than Cantwell as he is a more stable player but there’s not much in it

Both are fatally flawed as they have no pace

Cantwell has no pace? He’s not rapid but definitely not slow
Absolutely not quick at all -I must have missed all those assists and goals where he got away from players.

That’s why he needs a free role -he can’t get away from players therefore needs freedom to roam and pick up pockets of space.

We have little pace middle to front which is one of the reasons why Wright came into the team against them at home last OF match.
Not that either him or Lawrence worked but I said before the match I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cantwell go out the team.

Absolutely not quick at all -I must have missed all those assists and goals where he got away from players.

That’s why he needs a free role -he can’t get away from players therefore needs freedom to roam and pick up pockets of space.

We have little pace middle to front which is one of the reasons why Wright came into the team against them at home last OF match.
Not that either him or Lawrence worked but I said before the match I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cantwell go out the team.

Hearts Semi when he carries it from near our own half? Didn’t look slow then, he’s not rapid but he’s definitely not slow.

Can fault him for other things such as holding the ball too long etc but to say he has no pace is quite daft in my opinion.

He's a unique player and I'll say he's exactly the type of player we need to breakdown teams who park the bus. We'd have been a lot better off this season if he wasn't sent out on loan and was fully fit.
Has his limitations, but he'd have been a good option to have in numerous games this season.

He's a unique player and I'll say he's exactly the type of player we need to breakdown teams who park the bus. We'd have been a lot better off this season if he wasn't sent out on loan and was fully fit.
Unique?
In what way?

Unique definition: Being the only one of it's kind.

People are absolutely obsessed with our players needing electric pace. Most of the time in our league there's absolutely nowhere to run to - just a penalty box packed full of defenders and all the pace in the world won't make any difference to getting through that.

We lack energy, athleticism and a burst of speed - you can see the difference Sterling makes, for example.

We also need a player who can beat and commit a defender to subsequently create space.

Hagi doesn't appear to fit Clement's idea of a team. He's likely on a decent wage and may have suitors this Summer. I'd look to sell him.

You could apply that to Cantwell.

I actually think in a midfield 3 Hagi is a better option than Cantwell as he is a more stable player but there’s not much in it

Both are fatally flawed as they have no pace

I know who I would put my mortgage on in a 100 metre sprint and it wouldn’t be Hagi.

Going against the grain but I liked him.

Both feet, good touch and control and more importantly he wanted to be here.

Hardest thing with him is finding a position he'd be able to hold down imo.

Ianis has got some good strengths - great attitude, good delivery, goal threat and good passer
But IMO he will never be good enough for what we need to get better. I've never seen the technical stuff that some folk quote - always think his first touch can be erratic and sadly his lack of pace means he can't get away from players - and it's something we need far more of.

Alaves have used all 5 subs in their last half a dozen games, Hagi hasn't got off the bench once !
very frustrating indeed when he's a player we could do with getting back to fitness and form next season. why even loan players to these teams if they're just going to bench them.

we should do what liverpool do with loans and have minimum amounts of gametime stipulated or they pay significantly more for the loan

Weird one Hagi, I really like him and always thought we tend to play our best stuff when he was in and around the team. Always chipped in with goals and assists so wouldn’t be against him sticking around next season to see if he can find any kind of good form.

If he could get a move to the MLS, he'd tear it up there. The lack of intensity and pace in the games would see him thrive as he's very talented but just not quick enough.
That's what was meant to happen when he went to Spain ! The slower pace was going to suit him but he hasn't cut the mustard and he is a cert to be back at Ibrox unless the much talked about move to Turkey happens.

That's what was meant to happen when he went to Spain ! The slower pace was going to suit him but he hasn't cut the mustard and he is a cert to be back at Ibrox unless the much talked about move to Turkey happens.

Spain is 1000mph compared to the MLS though mate.

Back