Lennon Gone, now confirmed, Kennedy Interim Manager.

IF the Clarke rumour has any substance whatsoever it would be hilarious.You literally couldn't pick a worse manager to have to go out and win every game given how defensive he is.

I think the likes of Eddie Howe is the best they could hope for,at least his teams try to play football but ironically defensively they would be awful.

Either way they're screwed,which is nice.

Clarke would be my pick.

He’s be a disaster for them, defensive manager, not someone who has ever coached a side needing to win every week.

A bit like signing a penalty box backs to the wall hoof it centre back, paying £2m and £45k a week, then asking him to stand on the half way line and bring the ball out from the back...

I think it's reasonable to think it was a fairly mutual decision at the very least. He may have had a few upper-level folk having a word in his ear "encouraging" him to make the right decision.

I imagine they'll have worked out some kind of compensation package as a meet in the middle way of amicably ending things by him resigning.
pretty sure he would have “resigned” with his 12 months notice cash in his pocket.

There's no Brenda out there. A coach of his quality only went to the tims because he was a fan.... Cant think of any other top class 19th Century Terrorist coach out there so it's safe to say no one near that level is going anywhere near the tims

agree with this

it comes down to their choice dinosaur who might win the odd thing vs young fresh manager like ours

if its the latter, will they give him the 3 years we've given Stevie? its a gamble making that type of appointment - ours looks like paying off after patience

Celtic cannot tell lies to the Stock Market. I add their statement of Neil Lennon walking away.

This announcement contains inside information for the purposes of article 7 of the Market Abuse Regulation (EU) 596/2014 as amended by regulation 11 of the Market Abuse (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019/310. Upon the publication of this announcement, this inside information is now considered to be in the public domain.

24 February 2021

CELTIC PLC

("Celtic" or the "Club")

Neil Lennon to depart Celtic

Celtic PLC confirms that first team manager, Neil Lennon, has resigned and will leave the Club with immediate effect. The Club would like to thank Neil for his outstanding contribution during his time at Celtic as manager. John Kennedy will assume the role of interim manager effective immediately.

Enquiries:

Celtic PLC
Michael Nicholson, Company Secretary

0141 551 4298
Canaccord Genuity Limited
Simon Bridges, Nominated Adviser
Richard Andrews

020 7523 8350
I’ve not seen anywhere saying he was sacked to be fair.

Neil we are going to terminate your contract in the summer, if you resign and go now you will get x amount subject to signing a confidentiality agreement.

Larsson.
They need to appease the fans, but won't attract a big name manager.
It would sell their season tickets and shirts.
If he wants it they’ll give it to larsson. It all give them the cover and they’re not going to revolt as quickly against a club legend. Commercially it’ll make sense and appease the mob until they get papped out the champions league.

To be fair, every outlet is reporting he resigned.

It will be one of those face saving exercises, you are out the door but you can have your pay off and say you resigned.
However, all the comments I've heard over the years is that football managers do not want "resigned" on their CV because owners don't want "quitters". I'm sure most hold out to be sacked to get the pay-off/compensation, and the CV is secondary, but it's worth bearing in mind.

I think it will be a reasonably big name, because even if they get it wrong this time, it will be years before they can catch up. We went into this spell with Dave King openly saying that the club would run at a loss to get us to where we deserve to be. It was a long term plan, and it looks to be coming into fruition. Celtic haven't had a long term plan in years, and don't show any signs of that changing, which is maybe why Lawwell is going.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's any of AVB, Howe, Bilic. Whether they are good enough, who knows, but they need someone of Rodger's level at least to turn them around.

We can all agree Gerrard has shown himself to be an excellent manager. But he will also tell you that his back room staff has been superb as well.

It has still taken this top notch management team over two years to get to grips with Scottish football.

Any manager coming into Scotland for the first time will have to combat the unique set of circumstances that are play here. The managers who have worked in Scottish football will not be really accepted by their support, and an outsider may take a long time to settle.

We are in a situation where a draw for any old firm team is almost a crisis, not many managers will have experience of that type of pressure.

I'm glad he is away, he is a horrible, horrible lady's front bottom of a man and I never want to hear of him again.

It's fairly normal to sack someone, but agree that they will submit a letter of resignation as part of the settlement, to allow them to claim that they technically resigned.

The stock exchange announcement wording doesn't mean a lot.

I suspect they will already have sorted someone. I would not be surprised if Martinez has not already been contacted. Desmond has got the money to pay him. Martinez wife is Scottish, Maloney is one of his coaches and Martinez probably feels it a chance for him to win silverware , without the pressure of 10in a row . Although my own preference would be John Barnes

How many games have they left though?

On Skybet it says that "caretaker & interim managers completing at least 10 games will be deemed to be the permanent manager".

I get what you're saying but I'm fairly certain there would have been discussions behind the scenes to make it favourable for Neic to resign rather than have to be sacked.
Correct, they told him to resign or he'd be sacked. They think "resign" gives him some credibility.

It doesnt. He's never had it.

There won’t be a manager in before the end of the season and don’t see Clarke interested in it as it’s too much distraction with the Euros going on.

It’s almost a certainty there’ll be some manufactured sectarian “incident” against Lennon in the next week or so to move the narrative away from the sacking to how he has always been a victim in Scotland. The first step in rehabilitating TLB with the great unwashed.

I suspect they will already have sorted someone. I would not be surprised if Martinez has not already been contacted. Desmond has got the money to pay him. Martinez wife is Scottish, Maloney is one of his coaches and Martinez probably feels it a chance for him to win silverware , without the pressure of 10in a row . Although my own preference would be John Barnes
That would be great, Martinez can’t organise a defence either. He got Wigan a cup and relegation, and I’m sure his wee pal Maloney was playing for him at the time.

Back