Official Leon Balogun - Welcome (back) to Rangers

Guess it's my turn to be the killjoy - not impressed at all with this move, never works second time around. Plus the fact what we need is a left sided centre back with good distribution. Great guy and all that but that isn't enough for me particularly when he is always out injured.
Hmmm... Barry Ferguson, Steve Davis, Kenny Miller, Greegsy

Garbage patter in general, but in this case some people may just have genuine reservations about a 35 year old coming in on the back of a season plagued by injuries at QPR. Time will tell if it makes sense or not. Hopefully it does, but no need to be throwing insults at anyone who isn't convinced.
Oh come on it’s hardly insults.

On the face of it he’s been signed to replace king because of his injury. It’s low risk in regards to money involved. So in that sense it absolutely makes sense.

Goldson is progressing well and due to return in the next couple of weeks

We will have 4 fit centre backs. We will be fine

im a big fan, but Im a bit concerned with Goldson struggling for possibly the first few games, leaving Souttar and Balogun with their well documented injury problems, and Im not a fan of Davies.

Oh come on it’s hardly insults.

On the face of it he’s been signed to replace king because of his injury. It’s low risk in regards to money involved. So in that sense it absolutely makes sense.

Goldson is progressing well and due to return in the next couple of weeks

We will have 4 fit centre backs. We will be fine
'Usual panty wetters'? Whatever you want to call it, it's not exactly respectful of others opinions. Don't get me wrong, on likes of the matchday thread there are posters who wet their pants at every misplaced pass and want everyone from the board to the tea lady sacked or sold if we so much as draw a game, but in this case, given his age and recent injury record, I think it's entirely reasonable if some people have reservations. But hey, it's an open forum, so everyone to their own.

We could be re-signing Kenny Miller for the 4th time and some would find a way to make it an exciting signing.

Still time left in the window so I'll keep my powder dry, but at the moment it doesn't look like we are bringing in another centre back.

What should the spirit be?

Unbridled optimism?
Cautious optimism. 7 players in, all 6', physical, technical, skillful and mobile. A striker with a better goals per minute ratio than Furahashi over his career gained in superior leagues and a history of an extremely high return on closing down and winning the ball back high up the pitch. A 6'5 goalie who comes off his line and claims crosses. A midfielder/attacker who has an excellent left foot and can bang them in from 25 yards, Lawrence also returning to full contact training as of Monday. A player on loan who is excellent in the air, was only behind Messi and M'bappe on successful dribbles and was the 2nd fastest player in lig1. A 6'3 number 10, good in the air with lightening fast feet, ridiculous close control and a killer pass. Cantwell, with a full preseason behind him and Raskin coming back off a very good individual performance at the u21 Euros. A defensively rock solid full back made for the tougher games who had one of, if not, the highest 1vs1 defensive ratings around. A fully fit and firing Roofe if the training videos are anything to go by. A full, injury free, preseason for Yilmaz. Actually, I'm with you, depressed and as negative as I can be looking at the season ahead. Can't see any potential whatsoever if the above all click quickly enough.

No need for the drama, its my opinion .
We just cant shake off past players or players getting extensions that need moved on.
It's only a short term deal to cover King's absence, nothing else. Once King returns to be 4th or 5th choice, Balogun will be gone.

Who else with similar experience would you have preffered as a one season back up option?

His dependability is far from solid.

At 35 with shot calves I’d rather have Mayo replacing King as cover for the cover.

I like Balogun but this seems an unnecessary signing.
Think back to last season.

King was thrown in CL games and the SPL. Nowhere near ready. What makes you think Mayo would have done any better if called upon?

We now have Balogun this season to play that role if called upon since King is out. He's got bags of experience playing at the top level.

Clint Hill, Ugo Ehiogu, Frank de Boer style signing. Makes 100% sense and he's great around the dressing room.
FdB was a disastrous signing for us, bud.

Top up your fitness levels for the Euros and pension pot at the same time with FudsRus.
We could be re-signing Kenny Miller for the 4th time and some would find a way to make it an exciting signing.

Still time left in the window so I'll keep my powder dry, but at the moment it doesn't look like we are bringing in another centre back.
Signing Balogun in the immediate aftermath of the King injury suggests to me that the manager would have been happy going into the new season with Goldson, Souttar, Davies and King.

That has me uneasy.

Goldson may be our best defender by a country mile, but that's not much to write home about.

For me, we needed a top class centre back, alongside Goldson and with Souttar and then King as back up. Obviously Davies will still be there as no one will be paying anywhere near the money we did for him.

However, the big man is back and at least there will be no settling in period, so all we can do in the meantime is hope Goldson comes back and has no relapses.

I think the King injury is getting over played as to why we’ve signed Leon. Yes it’s played a part but regardless we would have needed an experienced centre back as back up and we’ve got one. Good player , obviously an athlete and hopefully will do a good job when needed.

Back