Name one player you always hoped we would sign

I remember watching Scotsport as a lad and they would occasionally show goals from across Europe - I always remembered seeing some cracking goals from Bayern Munich scored by Brian Laudrup (looking back he only scored 11 o_O) and was absolutely delighted when Walter signed him.

Vialli would have been a sensation. The player himself admitted it was all but done before Chelsea came in. :mad:

Vialli for me as well. I was obsessed with the Juve and Ajax sides of that time when I was younger.

I also loved the De Boer brothers so that was one that actually came to fruition. I remember being in awe the first time I saw Ronald in a Rangers top.

I do remember her, but you forced me into a situation where I had to remind myself via a popular search engine! How did that not get over the line? Work permit problems?
I dunno, I think there was a bit of footsy being played by him to drive his stock up elsewhere?
Either that or 90 minutes freezing his nuts off at the game convinced him otherwise!

I remember being linked with Diego Tristan a few weeks before the Raul Tamudo deal happened then broke down. Think Tristan would have been sensational for us

This one is controversial.

I always wanted us to sign Leigh Griffiths when he was at Dundee, felt he was a young Scottish striker scoring for fun in the Championship.

In reality, WTF was I thinking :eek:

This one is controversial.

I always wanted us to sign Leigh Griffiths when he was at Dundee, felt he was a young Scottish striker scoring for fun in the Championship.

In reality, WTF was I thinking :eek:

To be fair, his off field behaviour and general being a wee tadger aside! I don’t think you’ll find many disagreeing with you on that one.

Gary McAllister, Don Hutchinson (although he might have struggled to play every week in Advocaat’s midfield), Robbie Fowler.

I remember seeing Lampard break through at West Ham and thought we should sign him (at the time it was more than possible) to take over from Barry Ferguson when he left us for Italy or Man Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea.

Mendeta when he played against us he was fcking outstanding

I do remember her, but you forced me into a situation where I had to remind myself via a popular search engine! How did that not get over the line? Work permit problems?
There was permit problems but the rumour was he had a training session and was not too good while waiting on said permit so lets just say we did not go out our way to sort the permit problems out.
Probably bollocks but heard that mentioned a few times.

Remember being gutted that we didn't get Batistuta as it looked very likely he was signing at one stage. gianluca vialli was another who would have been superb with us. The Romanian Raducioiu I was also disappointed we didn't get.

I had wished for Rangers to sign Paul Gascoigne since his Spurs days and so when he did it was like a bloody dream come true.

For players who never did sign in the end - I always thought that getting Chris Waddle in around 1992-1994 kind of time would have been a great move. Rather than Sheffield Wednesday, he could have been playing in Europe for Rangers and been the player with a bit of magic to turn on.

We should have signed Denis Law when he was returning from Italy.
A young Bobby Moore back in the day would have looked good in a Rangers shirt.
A wee bit of ambition in the early sixties might have got us over the line in the EC.

The Great Dane
Cafu
Roberto Carlos
Alessandro Nesta
Paolo maldini
Edgar Davids
ZZ
Ronaldo
Roberto Baggio
Messi
Kluivert

Oliver Bierhoff. I was overdosing on Channel 4 football coverage at the time and got it into my crazed mind that he'd be perfect for us. Just a player I could always visualise in a Rangers shirt for some reason.

And yes, I'm aware he's RC.

Lothar Mattheus I remember rumours Murray was supposed to be in talks to sign him, think it was bulls*it
Juergen Klinsmann, anyone who refuses to shake hands with the pope(German squad Italia 90 visit to the Vatican) would have been a good Ranger. :)

He was the one I thought of, a goal machine if ever there was one. He was presented at Ibrox as if it was a done-deal. I can't remember why it fell through. Work permit was it?
I think it was a work permit. He never had enough caps or something. He would have been a phenomenon had he signed!

Reactions: ao2
I think it was a work permit. He never had enough caps or something. He would have been a phenomenon had he signed!

He would have been mate. He seemed up for it too and was genuinely touch by the reception he got at Ibrox. Thanks for confirming it was the work permit too.

Kenny Dalglish...Around the amateur teams in Glasgow and district he was one the top players if not the top?...He was a known Rangers fan and everybody thought he would sign for us?

Back