Name one player you always hoped we would sign

John Wark was a big miss and so was Dalgleish. Both Rangers daft and as for the furriners, Bergkamp and Jardel. Going way back, Ian Porteous was a good midfielder around Baxter's time.

Roberto Baggio , we were never linked with him but liked him as a player ,while wishful thinking I would have taken Zico as well , can but dream .

Lothar Mattheus I remember rumours Murray was supposed to be in talks to sign him, think it was bulls*it
Juergen Klinsmann, anyone who refuses to shake hands with the pope(German squad Italia 90 visit to the Vatican) would have been a good Ranger. :)

I remember the rumours about Matthaus. Was only 11 but I still remember it so clearly. Around the time he was leaving Inter it was on the news one night that David Murray had tabled a £3.5m bid for him. Still remember jumping around the room like a loon at the prospect of us signing a player who was considered among the best in the world at the time.

Great shout above about Luc Nilis. What a footballer he was. Had the lot, well except luck when it came to bad injuries. Did Advocaat try to sign him for us? Did a Google search but can't find anything about him being linked with us back in the late 90s. Did find this belter of a picture of Advocaat, Numan, Ronaldo and Nilis though!

http://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/tribute-luc-nilis-loved-ronaldo-best-striker-villa-never/

David Beckam.
I rememer watching him play against us in a Rangers v AC Milan friendly.
He looked at home at Ibrox.
Would have like to have seen him play for us, even if was to the latter part of his career....
article-0-033F0AB0000005DC-814_468x674.jpg

Bobby Hope from WBA. Every year we tried to get him but they said no. Not like nowadays when a player could let his contract run down. As long as the club offered a new deal on similar wages, the player had to stay.

Great shout above about Luc Nilis. What a footballer he was. Had the lot, well except luck when it came to bad injuries. Did Advocaat try to sign him for us? Did a Google search but can't find anything about him being linked with us back in the late 90s. Did find this belter of a picture of Advocaat, Numan, Ronaldo and Nilis though!

http://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/tribute-luc-nilis-loved-ronaldo-best-striker-villa-never/
He absolutely did. We were in for him on a Bosman the season after we played PSV. Nilis preferred a move to England instead. He duly broke his leg in one of his first few games in a horror clash with a goalie and his career was over.

A real shame as later that season we spunked millions on Flo and really struggled up front at times.

One for the older Bears. As a kid I split my football watching with Dad between Dumbarton and Ibrox and I desperately wanted Rangers to buy Ian Wallace before he went down to Coventry City. I think I'm right in saying that Ian became one of the first £million pound transfers when he subsequently went on to Nottingham Forrest.
Wallace was a cracking player at Coventry, he never hit it off at forest, one of the first million pound players in Britain.

Bobby Hope from WBA. Every year we tried to get him but they said no. Not like nowadays when a player could let his contract run down. As long as the club offered a new deal on similar wages, the player had to stay.
I remember in 1968,it seemed odds on he was signing for us in a double swoop along with Colin Stein.

As a young teenager in 83 I wanted Ferguson as manager and hoped he'd bring Miller, McLeish and dare I say it Leighton as well, that Aberdeen team broke my heart more than the poets back then.

Gianluca Vialli
Aleesandro Del Piero
Matt Le Tissier
Alan Shearer
Jurgen Klinsmann
Marc Overmars
Dennis Bergkamp

To name a few

Cantona.
When he got suspended I hoped we would put in a bid to either buy him or just get him on loan for the length of his FA ban, about 6 months IIRC.

George Best when he was at Fulham.

My dad kept saying he was a Rangers man and if we went for him he would come to us.

Never realistic, but then he ended up at Hibs!
The great George Best was a Glentoran and Wolves fan

Davie Cooper.

Saw him a right few times before we got him and was desperate for us to sign him. Was truly delighted when we did.

Denis Law, I think we bid for him when he left Huddersfield, after that his transfer value got out of our of our league!

Last edited:
Remember when I was younger there always seemed to be rumours of Robbie Fowler signing..He would have scored for fun up here!

David Trezeguet. He always seemed to be linked with us, not even sure if there was ever any merit in this, however.

Back