Scotland v Portugal

I didn't see it but we get beaten 3 - 1 at home and not one of our players was booked!

IMHO they don't care enough, Souness, Greig, or Big Eck himself etc. etc. would have "imposed themselves" on the game,

We need to get the passion back!

Alex McLeish is on a hiding to nothing in this farce.

He obviously took the job after a good few years of medriocrity in club football and the realisation that no big gig would ever come his way again. This is not a criticism of the man but the reality of the situation.

There’s only one way this will play out and it’s McLeish either falling on his sword or being hounded by the mentally challenged press up here and being sacked.

The Scotland managers job is a thankless task primarily due to the appalling standard of current Scottish players. Strachan, although being a little condescending prick tonight, banged on about this very fact.

Scotland as a football nation are long finished. Big Eck ffs. This squad are as ordinary as you’ll ever see. Malky the racist and his bosses are hilarious. Sooner or later the bheggar run SFA will have to go.
Been saying the same think about that plonker Doncaster and he's still there ,they won't let go of their stranglehold no matter the plummeting depths our game goes to.

Makes you wonder how many of that bunch of dumplings will be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
McGregor (ours) should and eventually probably also Robertson. As for the rest I would say no chance but seeing the recent selection criteria we’ll probably get Gordon, Hendry, McGregor (theirs) and Christie - just because they’re the pets of the sh1tebag blazers.

Scottish football needs ripping back to the basic grass roots,and put in place people who have a basic football knowledge and who care and have some pride! this would include getting rid of every numpty who is picking up a wage for kidding themselves and us on!if everyone was paid on performance and results,wo wou be a really low pay out, this is aimed mainly at the pricks hiding behind the S.F.A.badge of shame!

Alex McLeish is on a hiding to nothing in this farce.

He obviously took the job after a good few years of medriocrity in club football and the realisation that no big gig would ever come his way again. This is not a criticism of the man but the reality of the situation.

There’s only one way this will play out and it’s McLeish either falling on his sword or being hounded by the mentally challenged press up here and being sacked.

The Scotland managers job is a thankless task primarily due to the appalling standard of current Scottish players. Strachan, although being a little condescending prick tonight, banged on about this very fact.

I don’t think there’s any doubt McLeish knew it would be the only high profile job he’d ever get.

Sadly the SFA are the only thick bastards in the world that would have offered that job to McLeish. He’s been done as a competent manager for a long long time. Great guy, but no longer a great or even good manager.

Scotland have to go to Albania and win next month then come home and beat Israel 3 days later to top the group. Israel beat Albania 2-0 today. So if Eck cannot win the group he will have to go.

Scotland have to go to Albania and win next month then come home and beat Israel 3 days later to top the group. Israel beat Albania 2-0 today. So if Eck cannot win the group he will have to go.

Wouldn't a draw in Albania and a win over Israel do it?

Watching Big Ecks interview after the game tonight was painfull. He didn’t sound or look good and I think this whole farce is taking its toll as he is constantly having to defend and talk up this team.

Which in all honesty he can’t.

... The only Scottish players we have now are Shagger, Jack, Middleton, McCrorie, Dorrans and Murphy. Get them all fit and play them in their rightful positions. Get rid of O'Donnel,and the rest of the Tims and we will have the core of a Scotland revival.

I’d much rather none of our players appeared in a shirt bearing the SFA badge, ever again. Any injuries picked up in a Sellic Football Association shirt prevents them from playing in a proper football team.

Just seen the Portuguese 2nd goal.
Decent header but Craig Gordon decides he's beaten before the ball leaves the guys head. No attempt to save it.

McGregor as we know is a far superior keeper.

Just seen the Portuguese 2nd goal.
Decent header but Craig Gordon decides he's beaten before the ball leaves the guys head. No attempt to save it.

McGregor as we know is a far superior keeper.

The first one as well was shocking goalkeeping from Gordon. Pitiful attempt at saving it.

The 3rd goal is a counter from Portugal after Hendry tries to be Franz Beckenbauer, loses the ball and they have the quality to take advantage of him being out of position.

I think you are right, the biggest single problem now is that as a country Scotland is divided. In the past the fans were always able to put who they support at club level to the side and get behind the national side. The game here has hated itself to death and I don’t see that changing

I believe you are right. I used to love to go to Hampden in any weather to watch Scotland, today, for the first time ever, I didn’t even know we were playing. I thought the game was tomorrow. Sad how they have driven us away from our national team.

I see the ridiculous expression "yesterday's man " is all the rage on here now. Please explain this, seems to me nearly all posters are incredible at the tactical side of football as it develops. Yet most managers are unaware of change ?

Gordon is a bomb scare, I seen the Portugal 2nd and he looked like he had given up and never bothered even before it went past him. The goal he lost against Hazard was shocking also, I know Hazard belted it but the ball was less than 1 foot above his head.

I know McLeish wasn't exactly overloaded with offers of work but he really needs to get out of this one for his own good.
What he is working with will never be good enough to make progress and he will be blamed for it.
The wankers in the press and in the Tartan Army will round on him and make his life a misery.
Get the f*ck out of now Alex and save yourself.

Should maybe add that I couldnt give a f*ck how the National team do, I stopped supporting them 20 years ago.

Scottish football needs ripped up and started again (how often have we said that!)

It really annoys me every few years we’ll get someone who has visited Ajax or Barca etc and studied their coaching methods blah blah but then what happens? Nothing. There’s too many not interested in progression. We really are stuck in the dark ages.

Another thing is we tend to do ok at U17, U21 level but when it comes to these lads making the step up to the men’s game they struggle and fall away. That needs to be rectified somehow.

In big ecks defence it isn't his fault we produce dud players as a nation. We looked to be improving 6 or 7 years ago but got obsessed over Rangers witch hunt. Now football has left our bitter wee nation behind.

Scotland should simply stop playing international football, it's beyond grim now.

All joking aside, Danny Wilson is a better centre half than Hendry.

The fact Wilson can't get a look in for this current side is a disgrace.

Easily one of the best CB's available to us and i say that fully understanding he is quite average.

I said at the time (and got slated for it) that they should stick with Strachan.

I don't care about the national team so i didn't care who he did and didn't select but he was the best manager available to us despite his flaws.

I said at the time (and got slated for it) that they should stick with Strachan.

I don't care about the national team so i didn't care who he did and didn't select but he was the best manager available to us despite his flaws.

But he failed in two qualifying campaigns including one where we finished 4th behind Rep. of Ireland and the other behind Slovakia. We couldn't even make the play-offs.

But he failed in two qualifying campaigns including one where we finished 4th behind Rep. of Ireland and the other behind Slovakia. We couldn't even make the play-offs.

That's because we are sh*te. We were the 4th best team in that group and finished 4th.

We would kill for a player with the calibre of some Slovaks like Hamsik, Skrtel, Skriniar etc.

Even diddy teams like Armenia have someone like Mkhitaryan available to them and then we have us who go into National mourning when Scott Broon retires.

That's because we are sh*te. We were the 4th best team in that group and finished 4th.

We would kill for a player with the calibre of some Slovaks like Hamsik, Skrtel, Skriniar etc.

Even diddy teams like Armenia have someone like Mkhitaryan available to them and then we have us who go into National mourning when Scott Broon retires.

It's up to the manager to get the best out of the players. Strachan failed to do that, allowing Brown to dictate when he played. Why reward him with a 3rd campaign?

Armenia just lost to Gibraltar. At home.

If we get our act together we should accumulate enough points to top this group. Stop piddling around with the 3 at the back nonsense, play with a back 4 and either wonderkid or Robertson on the bench for cover. If we cannot top this group then it is the end for Eck. Eck sounds as though his mind is going, I hope he is not suffering from an illness.

It's up to the manager to get the best out of the players. Strachan failed to do that, allowing Brown to dictate when he played. Why reward him with a 3rd campaign?

Armenia just lost to Gibraltar. At home.

Who was available that you feel could and would have had Scotland progress in to one of the Major tournaments?

My point was Mkhitaryan is a cracking player and playing for a diddy nation whereas we have nobody anywhere near that standard, the fact they lost to Gibraltar is irrelevant to the point i was making.

Who was available that you feel could and would have had Scotland progress in to one of the Major tournaments?

My point was Mkhitaryan is a cracking player and playing for a diddy nation whereas we have nobody anywhere near that standard, the fact they lost to Gibraltar is irrelevant to the point i was making.

The point is that individual players don't necessarily make a successful team. Mkhitaryan/Armenia are irrelevant and I'm not sure why you introduced him into the conversation.

A number of 2016 qualifiers played and worked as a team, aided by a manager who knew how to best utilise the players at their disposal. Strachan didn't based on results, be it a loss to Georgia or a home draw with Lithuania.

He had his opportunity. I'm not suggesting McLeish is the answer either.

Strachan is a condescending wánk. I genuinely wouldn't have him on again as a pundit.

The way he talks to Haley at times. It's pure contempt for her and the viewers.
He's a horrible, horrible wee shite, he thinks he's a comedian, but he's not funny, just condescending.

The point is that individual players don't necessarily make a successful team. Mkhitaryan/Armenia are irrelevant and I'm not sure why you introduced him into the conversation.

A number of 2016 qualifiers played and worked as a team, aided by a manager who knew how to best utilise the players at their disposal. Strachan didn't based on results, be it a loss to Georgia or a home draw with Lithuania.

He had his opportunity. I'm not suggesting McLeish is the answer either.

He did what was expected (realistically) and finished 4th. I don't particularly rate him but he was the best Scottish option we had available other than going down the foreign route again.

Back