Sterling - “I don’t know if the belief is there…”

Thought the same. Clement is an experienced & winning manager. It's his last roll of the dice, have a younger player shame them into a modicum of pride and professionalism. Let's hope it works because nothing else does with these bottlers.
Tend to agree. He’s probably saw enough of this leadership group within the dressing room who let’s be honest have coasted to being serial runners up & are comfortable with that.
Clement isn’t a rookie manager looking to keep players onside nor is he stupid to call them out publicly. He realises this group have had 3 previous incumbents removed when they’ve downed tools now they are about to find out it’s him who has the power this time.

I love his honesty.

But, it's arguably quite naive to put that out there.

All of this will be said in house without it having to be public knowledge.
It will have been said in house multiple times by several managers. It hasn't worked. Shaming them publically may work or they may.completely down tools but we have nothing to lose and still (just) have something to win. Worth the risk and not as naive as thinking that keeping it in house would have the desired effect.

If the senior players, the so called 'leadership team' are surrender monkeys it is difficult for other younger hungrier players to ignore that attitude. Three rotten apples is way more than enough so I'm another that has no idea what you are on about.
So they are sheep, can't think on their own, not a good look.
Dujon Sterling is 24.

I don't think the manager was either. Hardly going to spill his guts on all the issues to some poet journo / media outlet.

You don't have to spill your guts but you also don't have to come out with absolute shite that did not happen.

It will have been said in house multiple times by several managers. It hasn't worked. Shaming them publically may work or they may.completely down tools but we have nothing to lose and still (just) have something to win. Worth the risk and not as naive as thinking that keeping it in house would have the desired effect.

If "they" haven't listened in house then they aren't gonna start listening for 6 games now.

Keep in mind Sterling is talking about everyone and, arguably, even himself as part of a team here.

It's just a bit of noise we don't need. Winning teams don't have noise around them and we do still have things to fight for.

As I say I do love his honesty. Just wondering if it's a bit naive at this point.

So they are sheep, can't think on their own, not a good look.
Dujon Sterling is 24.
So you recognise Dujon is considerably younger than the 3 musketeers that's progress of a sort.

When the leadership team of senior players hoist the white flag it is asking a lot of the rest to win a title with 8 players and often less on the pitch that think they can beat the likes of Ross County and Dundee.

If "they" haven't listened in house then they aren't gonna start listening for 6 games now.

Keep in mind Sterling is talking about everyone and, arguably, even himself as part of a team here.

It's just a bit of noise we don't need. Winning teams don't have noise around them and we do still have things to fight for.

As I say I do love his honesty. Just wondering if it's a bit naive at this point.
We not a winning team mate or haven't you noticed? It's a last roll of the dice to see if wounding their personal pride shakes them out of their defeatist attitudes. We have nothing else to try.

So you recognise Dujon is considerably younger than the 3 musketeers that's progress of a sort.

When the leadership team of senior players hoist the white flag it is asking a lot of the rest to win a title with 8 players and often less on the pitch that think they can beat the likes of Ross County and Dundee.

Why are the rest if these absolute carthorses being allowed to hide behind 3 other players by supporters? One, especially, in Tavs case who actually contributes while countless others do nothing at all in games.

He’s just being honest, so we don’t want that, or the usual platitudes, apparently. Christ, supporting Rangers is just one long misery-wank for some, eh?

We are gonna need Dujon if we are to salvage anything. That said, he ain’t a LB. He’s cost us goals against County and Celtic by diving over the ball as he awkwardly tried to get a block in.

Play him CM.

I think that says it all about the leadership within that group
Your 100% right

Where do these player lose belief from

I’ll tell you, they look to the leaders at the club for inspiration and how to act on and off the pitch

We don’t have any and that is the problem

We have no fight in us or the ability to get up for a fight, we work so hard to get ourselves into a really strong position and then when we get there and are in pole position we flick a switch and crumble

Why are the rest if these absolute carthorses being allowed to hide behind 3 other players by supporters? One, especially, in Tavs case who actually contributes while countless others do nothing at all in games.
It's Tav's bloody job to make sure others don't hide but he is incapable of doing it otherwise we wouldn't have Sterling calling out the lack of belief in the dressing room.

It's Tav's bloody job to make sure others don't hide but he is incapable of doing it otherwise we wouldn't have Sterling calling out the lack of belief in the dressing room.

But why are the rest of the players, who have been terrible and contributing nothing, not the problem?

For a lot of them they aren't good enough. It's nothing to do with hiding. They are just p1sh.

Managers always back their team in adversity. Fergie was notorious for saying it was green when it was actually blue.

He called them out at the weekend and didn't get a response, so he's trying a different tact.

Dujon is spot on though and he's right to call his team mates out, it's the majority of them that have chucked the towel in. The manager still believes in them, but he can't make them believe in themselves. It has to come from within.
Your right about the manager, we have a game on Sunday and he needs these players to try and pull it together.

Calling out that performance for what it was would have had him losing Sunday already last night.

He knows what he knows now about this team but has to just get them to play a few more games and that’s it for them

Admire the honesty in assessing the last few performances but that is absolutely soul destroying to hear. ‘Playing like it’s a dead rubber’ and ‘not sure the belief is there’ when we are fighting for a title. Get the weak willed out the team now. The shirt weighs too heavy then hand it over to someone else.

I realise Clement was maybe trying not to throw them under a bus last night when we still have games to play but if he doesn’t gut that squad then he will pay the price

Because they and especially in Tavernier's case are the common denominator. In the last 3 games his contribution has been scoring 2 pens. He couldn't lead a duck to water let alone this Rangers team. I get your defence of him though as he's obviously your favourite player.

It's a pity we don't have a rule in football where you can bring a player on to take penalties, the same way a player comes on in American football to take field goals, Tav would be worth upwards of £20m.

Oh cups don't count anymore, loser mentality old boy.
Do elucidate. Tell me how much the Scottish League Cup is worth in the eyes of the World Football?

It's major worth is denying the other lot the bragging rights of another domestic treble. I'd suggest anyone considering it to be of comparable importance to a league title is deranged and a genuine loser.

An honest answer but worrying nonetheless. An insight into the current mindset in the dressing room. A big difference to the gaffers ‘we played good’ interview last night (even though I’m of the opinion he’s just protecting the players here).

If only our captain showed balls and spoke up. Least Sterling knows us fans are everything.

Do elucidate. Tell me how much the Scottish League Cup is worth in the eyes of the World Football?

It's major worth is denying the other lot the bragging rights of another domestic treble. I'd suggest anyone considering it to be of comparable importance to a league title is deranged and a genuine loser.
You said we are not a winning team, i pointed out we've won the only available domestic cup.
No one has compared the importance of it to the league title.

The mad thing is, if we had lost that final you would have used it as another stick to beat our players with.

I think that says it all about the leadership within that group
Exactly, the leadership group are nearly all followers and certainly not leaders.
Jardine, Gough, Ferguson, Grieg were leaders and a hell of a lot of the players who played with them we leaders.
A lot is made of today about a Captains and their influence but you 100% need leaders all over the pitch but we have players who are scared and just emit fear.

What a strange comment
We play in a footballing backwater
How much do you reckon the Scottish Premiership is worth in the eyes of World Football?
If you went to a game in Argentina, France or Korea for instance and spoke to ten fans how many do you reckon could tell you who won the last three titles ?
Most wouldn't even be able to name three teams in the league

But why are the rest of the players, who have been terrible and contributing nothing, not the problem?

For a lot of them they aren't good enough. It's nothing to do with hiding. They are just p1sh.
That's shite. Yes Scottish football generally is garbage yet these players have single handidly dragged up the Scottish coefficient in Europe over a period of several years.

They were good enough to keep us in Europe beyond Xmas again this year and they were playing like Champions elect just a few weeks ago. We could and should have gone 5 pts clear but when the going gets tough and winning a title is a possibility the leadership team go AWOL. It happens every year and its a defeatist mentality that's at the heart of it.

Because they and especially in Tavernier's case are the common denominator. In the last 3 games his contribution has been scoring 2 pens. He couldn't lead a duck to water let alone this Rangers team. I get your defence of him though as he's obviously your favourite player.

It's a pity we don't have a rule in football where you can bring a player on to take penalties, the same way a player comes on in American football to take field goals, Tav would be worth upwards of £20m.

But they aren't the common denominator. We have rubbish footballers. That's what it comes down to. That's what the common denominator is. Poor recruitment and poor players.

You put the leadership of Richard Gough and John Greg into that team and it doesn't change the fact the players are rotten amking basic errors.

I think Taverniers time is up at Rangers.

But the way people are rounding on 3 players, one of whom is one of a few who regularly contribute, for "leadership" worries me because it seems to be a smokescreen for the fact that most of the team has been downgraded over the last few years to be utter dross. Then next year when these same carthorses are making the same mistakes, who will we blame then?

Barry Ferguson, John Greig both captained Rangers teams who didn't even finish second in the league. Richard Gough's team threw 10 in a row away.

The fact is football is about how good your players are and ours are miles off it. I'd happily see them all go with very few exceptions.

But there's now a huge pile on where literally everything about the recent failings is being put at Tavernier's door. It's becoming quite weird. And nothing will change next year until we get better footballers.

A thread where Sterling has raised worrying concerns with the squad is automatically assumed to mean 3 players. That's what I'm getting at. We have a lot of guys who have contributed nothing at all, constantly playing rubbish getting off scot free here while 3 men get it for everything. And it could be anyone in that's squad Sterling means.

Last edited:
Refreshing to hear that kind of honesty. Damning indictment on the current mentality in the squad.

He's clearly pissed off with the attitude of others and he's one of very few who have continued to play like there's actually silverware on the line.

Let's get him back in midfield where we need him.

Refreshing to hear that kind of honesty. Damning indictment on the current mentality in the squad.

He's clearly pissed off with the attitude of others and he's one of very few who have continued to play like there's actually silverware on the line.

Let's get him back in midfield where we need him.
Sterling is a brilliant player. I’m glad he actually gets it.

Back