The Scottish Amateur Cup 2023/2024

Any proof of that? I played with them once upon a time and never received a penny...maybe I was hard done by? :D

They definitely were just before they went into the West as I, as coach of a West of Scotland team at the time, lost out to a couple players to them because they were getting more money.

Not sure if they ramped it up in recent years a bit as I don't remember them doing it when I played amateur a while back.

Colville and Hurlford paid their players when I played but there was never any insinuation Drum did as far as I know.
It was when Mick Kennedy etc went there in the 1st place when John Black was manager there was always rumours.

I’m just at the wind up I have heard the stories and rumours like everyone else but obviously have no proof. No Drum Utd or Colville player ever showed me a brown envelope.

Maybe some of the players just liked travelling from the Drum, Greenock etc to Motherwell and sitting on the bench cause it was a good bunch of lads haha.

It was when Mick Kennedy etc went there in the 1st place when John Black was manager there was always rumours.

I’m just at the wind up I have heard the stories and rumours like everyone else but obviously have no proof. No Drum Utd or Colville player ever showed me a brown envelope.

Maybe some of the players just liked travelling from the Drum, Greenock etc to Motherwell and sitting on the bench cause it was a good bunch of lads haha.
I know a guy that played for them and he got money for each goal and got a fridge freezer lol

Is the amateur game really struggling?

When I used to follow it teams in the SAFL Premier like Campbeltown Pupils, Oban Saints, Cambria, St Pats, Greenock, Gourock, Goldenhill, Busby, RR East Kilbride & Postal Utd were all the big names. Other recognisable teams were like Lochgilphead Red Star, Duncanrig, Tarbert, Haldane, Rutherglen, Kings Park & Inverclyde.

Football at that level really seems to be on the bones of its arse for watever reason?
In the 70s Star Hearts and Morriston YMCA were the big amateur names. Both played in the amateur cup final Hampden 1974.

at the game tonight
a thought cupar were fortunate not to concede a first half penalty.
2nd half cupar were the better side and won comfortably .

Well done Cupar.

Final apparently Thursday May 16th
Hampden Park @ 20:00
Thursday night. A joke. Should be next day after Scottish Cup Final.

Cupar v Garrowhill. Should be a decent game. Cupar will want to retain Cup. Garrowhill have rose to the challenges set before them.

Cupar v Garrowhill. Should be a decent game. Cupar will want to retain Cup. Garrowhill have rose to the challenges set before them.
That’s isn’t going to happen any more, the women’s Scottish Cup has now made that date their own.

Special day. Wonder how many teams have retained trophy two years in a row.

That’s one for our resident expert @Roscoblue

Too late for me to look at my handbook.
Colville Park and Harestanes the only 2 this century. Cambubarron done it in the 1960s, they have some brilliant pictures of it in their changing area.

Before that I don’t know and I don’t know of anyone having won it 3 times on the bounce….

Colville Park and Harestanes the only 2 this century. Cambubarron done it in the 1960s, they have some brilliant pictures of it in their changing area.

Before that I don’t know and I don’t know of anyone having won it 3 times on the bounce….
Knew Mick Kennedy won it twice with Colville. And lost it a few times as well. Harestanes good side when they won it twice.

Cheers.

When it stop being a Saturday at Hampden?

When it stop being a Saturday at Hampden?
It’s not been a Saturday at Hampden for as long as I can remember, certainly not since it returned to Hampden. It was traditionally the Sunday after the Scottish Cup Final until COVID and then last season the women’s final.

It’s not been a Saturday at Hampden for as long as I can remember, certainly not since it returned to Hampden. It was traditionally the Sunday after the Scottish Cup Final until COVID and then last season the women’s final.
I'm going back to the 80's and 90's to be fair.

All the Bannockburn finals I've been to were on a Saturday, usually, but not always, the week after the Scottish Cup Final (I think).

They won the Scottish in 1991 on the very same day we beat Aberdeen 2-0 to win the league title. That was a very good night in Bannockburn then Stirling!

I guess the congested International calendar with games being played late May and in to June has been a factor in the change.

Last edited:
The Scottish Cup final I played in was the last to be on a weekend as far as I know, 2018/19 season. Was the Sunday after a Celtic v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Final.

Next season wasn’t played due to covid and the rest since have been midweek fixtures I think.

I’m glad the game is still at Hampden because the full experience is unbelievable but it’s hard on fans but more importantly the players to have it played midweek with work and travel commitments.

Understand why they no longer have the space to accomodate the fixture on a weekend but it’s disappointing.

The Scottish Cup final I played in was the last to be on a weekend as far as I know, 2018/19 season. Was the Sunday after a Celtic v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Final.

Next season wasn’t played due to covid and the rest since have been midweek fixtures I think.

I’m glad the game is still at Hampden because the full experience is unbelievable but it’s hard on fans but more importantly the players to have it played midweek with work and travel commitments.

Understand why they no longer have the space to accomodate the fixture on a weekend but it’s disappointing.
I totally get the point re the players point of view and the experience of playing at hampden, but the sunday fixture was so much better for fans. Cupar got the final in the late 2000s and the build up for a few hours beforehand was special. Maybe im biased as im in glasgow now and was brilliant seeingthe cupar fams take over a southside pub. Last year was amazing too but so difficult for folk to travel, particularly youngsters, on a school night, and thats only a ninety minute journey, not as far as some clubs would have.
One thing i remember about that final we lost, austin macphee ( set piece coach with villa and scotland now) was cupar manager at the time, hes a local boy. Was only 2 subs , he used to take a squad of 15/16, and only name the first xi. So the bench didnt know who was a sub or not. But at hampden the teams came up on screen. One of my good friends was on the bench hoping for a chance to play at hampden then found out he wasnt one of the listed subs from the big screen

Latest posts

Back