Official The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll always back an excellent Rangers player, Goldson isn’t that though. An excellent Rangers CH and vice captain doesn’t allow his defence to be skelped 3-1 against Hibs in a cup final. An excellent Rangers CH doesn’t just have just 2 trophies to show over a 5 year stint at the club, 20 opportunities to win and only 2 taken a 10% success rate!!

My expectations of an excellent Rangers CH differs to yours for sure but I’m fine with that.

**it was a Semi Final, at least try and get events right and go to the effort of remembering them.

You know Barry Ferguson played when Hibs beat us 3-0 at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup right?

So on the premise of your logic by “allowing” that to happen Barry Ferguson, wasn’t an excellent Rangers player.

You know John Greig had a terrible trophy haul over periods of years

So by your premise wasn’t an excellent Rangers player….two people most would have in their greatest Rangers 11 actually aren’t even, what? good Rangers players? under your criteria of judgement…

“Ahh but you can’t compare those players” I’m not I’m using your measure of judgment.

“Aye but I’m not saying that” no because it looks daft when pointed out how flawed it is.

some people fair end up like a dog chasing their tail on here at times.

Whatever transfer activity we commit to this summer at CB, the defenders life’s we bring in will be made a lot easier by playing next to Goldson, as Benitiez said, these are “facts” not opinions.

Last edited:
I would reckon if Maja is indeed a target then Michael Beale will have done his homework on him and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s contacted Defoe whom I believe was at Sunderland with him. Still think it will be two strikers from Krasso , Douvikas , Maja, Dessers and Lammers

The lack of rumours for wingers has me thinking that three at the back is pretty likely next season. A lot of the CBs we have been linked with suit it too.

Formations are pretty fluid anyway, a lot of teams attack in a 3421 but defend in a 442 or similar.

The comparison is him vs Goldson, in the much shorter space of time he’s been in Scotland his trophy haul is embarrassingly better than that of Goldson, even when we have faced weaker opposition in finals like Hibs in the league Cup Final Goldson failed to stand up and be counted. I don’t see a defence with CCV in it being breached 3 times by Hibs in a final at any time!! The ultimate proof is in the delivery of trophies as the success in football and Goldson has a very poor track record as a CH and a vice captain in that regard!
How to make a total James Hunt of yourself, take 1……

Silly argument really, Greig was the captain when we won 2 trebles in 3 seasons and was captain of the team who won a European trophy.

I know he was, but those trebles were 75/76 and 77/78, after celtic's domination.

Prior to that celtic did 9 in a row and there were seasons where we finished 4th, absolutely miles behind them.
He was also captain in one of our most humiliating cup finals too, when they gubbed us 4-0 in 1969 SC Final.

The point I'm making is, Greig was an excellent captain and a great leader, but still the team went through a very barren spell.

It's not a silly argument, the poster I replied to wins that hands down.

The lack of rumours for wingers has me thinking that three at the back is pretty likely next season. A lot of the CBs we have been linked with suit it too.

Formations are pretty fluid anyway, a lot of teams attack in a 3421 but defend in a 442 or similar.

He may play 3 at the back on occasion, particularly in Europe, but the formation Beale finished the season with, the 4 (Jack, Raskin, Lundstram and Cantwell) in the midfield diamond, with the striker and wide player ahead of them, is the formation he'll prefer for the majority of games imo.

We were winning games, playing entertaining football and only using 1 wide player.

The players may be different next season, but I think he likes the midfield dominance that formation gives him.

Maja would be more of a 2nd striker rather than the main centre forward, no? Kind of like how Sakala plays. Don't see him coming here to not play regularly

The comparison is him vs Goldson, in the much shorter space of time he’s been in Scotland his trophy haul is embarrassingly better than that of Goldson, even when we have faced weaker opposition in finals like Hibs in the league Cup Final Goldson failed to stand up and be counted. I don’t see a defence with CCV in it being breached 3 times by Hibs in a final at any time!! The ultimate proof is in the delivery of trophies as the success in football and Goldson has a very poor track record as a CH and a vice captain in that regard!

Celtic probably, in fact definitely will, shag you M8.

I would reckon if Maja is indeed a target then Michael Beale will have done his homework on him and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s contacted Defoe whom I believe was at Sunderland with him. Still think it will be two strikers from Krasso , Douvikas , Maja, Dessers and Lammers
Maja suffered a nasty injury at Bordeaux and his scoring stats have changed since then.

Semi final.

Agreed. Goldson is a competent defender but massively overhyped in here. In the big games and moments he comes up short.

Agreed. Goldson is a competent defender but massively overhyped in here. In the big games and moments he comes up short.
Yet all 3 managers at our club thought he was essential to our team.
One who won us 55, another who got to only our 5th European cup final.

Yet Dashboard James thinks he knows more than 2 players who played at the very highest level of club and international football.

When will people stop judging players based on their goals scored column on wikipedia?

He is a good footballer, and considering he's available on a free he's pretty much the ideal profile of striker we should be looking at as an "understudy" to our main man up front. BTW he's much closer in style to Alfredo Morelos as an all round striker, than someone like Colak who is only about goals.

Also think it's obvious that if you're a decent striker playing for Rangers the goals will come a lot more frequently than they would at about 99% of other clubs in world football. Knowing what Maja is like as a player I'm pretty confident he'd end up in that 10-20 goals a season range in our league, even taking into account the fact that he'll likely be seen as more of a 2nd choice/understudy up front.

If he can pitch in with double figures in goals, as well as be a far better all round footballer than someone like Sakala (which he is), then he's pretty much the ideal signing for us right now in trying to rebuild an entire squad.
Did you not judge players if they cost under a million ?

Josh Maja? That's a name from the past.
Was it Gerrard that was linked with him previously? Or was it the pedro era?

Would absolutely love to think we would be in for Krasso but I'm sure he's only ever been mentioned on here unfortunately. The guy is a box of tricks, composed in front of goal, occupies defenders, brings others into play, is a great finisher and I think he's exactly the type of player for one of our forward positions. Would love to think Beale is considering a move for him but I'm sure it's just FF rumours.

Got a WhatsApp message (I know) last night saying;
"Patson Daka to Rangers, record fee"
I know it's probably nonsense, especially the record fee part, but at least it's transfer gossip and not player bashing.

A Zambian strike force of Sakala and Daka. Im all for that.

I don't think deals are completed in order of priority bud.

No, but I do think Beale will be particularly keen to nail down the spine of the team.

Goalkeeper (Butland)

Centre back (??? - although arguably lower priority until (if/when) Davies leaves)

Centre Mid (Cifu to complement Raskin and Cantwell)

Striker (???)

You can see why the poster reckons a Striker is likely to be the next immediate area of focus. We really shouldn't be going too far into preseason with just Colak as an option.

I know it's probably nonsense, especially the record fee part, but at least it's transfer gossip and not player bashing.

Transfermarkt has him valued at €20m with 3 years left on his contract.

I know transfermarkt fees can be taken with a pinch of salt, but still... FFS.

Daka was great at Salzburg, which is probably a fairer comparison to the SPFL.

His record at Leicester isn’t up to much though.

Think it’s more likely Beale sticks with the diamond formation that he seems to have found something with. Cantwell/another attacking midfielder as the tip of the diamond/playing as a false 9. Then you have two attackers up front, either side of the false 9.

I only really know Maja from that Sunderland documentary. Is there a credible link to him now, or is this chat being driven by the previous speculation and his contract expiring?

It hopefully doesn’t need said as surely we can agree we are not signing an EPL starter signed for £25m two years ago…

If the thread was pushing the budget when lobbing in suggestions like Coady and Piroe then maybe best to rule out 8-figure signings

How unbelievable is it that on our transfer threads there always ends up being arguments by Rangers fans about how much better celtics players are. What a place.

It's never been a secret that there are lurkers on here.

I'm a reasonable man. I'll admit that there are scum players that I wouldn't exactly shed a tear about to hear that they were leaving (or preferably got crocked). Whilst saying that CCV is on probably on that list, that tends to be the highest complement I could stomach.

Watching posters turning and twisting in every direction to try and convince people how much better their players are than ours? It reeks if I'm honest.

Goldson has been and continues to be an excellent servant who has achieved things in the last 3 years that few rangers players (and certainly not f-ing CCV) could ever hope to have done in their career. We should not forget just how immense that 55 season was and it was built on that record breaking defence in which he was ever present. And 'mistake' aside, Goldson did everything required of him to have won a European trophy. He could literally have done nothing more. Even ignoring the journey to Seville, he was part of a 120 minute performance that put us into a European final penalty shootout where we had just a single penalty saved and were but a bawhair away from victory. The idea that he's some sort of 'serial bottler' under pressure just does not hold water!

Last edited:
Amazing that people can write one sided stuff like this without mentioning the fact he was excellent in a run to a european final. On a Rangers forum ffs

I only really know Maja from that Sunderland documentary. Is there a credible link to him now, or is this chat being driven by the previous speculation and his contract expiring?
Papers were reporting (start of May) that he was asked about a possible move to us and gave the standard “not going to speculate/got to concentrate on games here” answer. Not actually seen the question he was asked so could easily be papers just twisting an answer about ANY move and putting a slant on it

I thought he was decent at Sunderland and I like to see young British players go and experience foreign leagues rather than chase a pay packet as a reserve in a higher league. At 24 he has good experience and build for our league.

Time will tell but doesn’t look like you that Bordeaux will go up and you wonder if they will have the cash to keep him for another year

I’ll always back an excellent Rangers player, Goldson isn’t that though.
Davie Weir was an excellent CH, Gough was an excellent CH, Alan McLaren, Terry Butcher, Boogie, Boumsong, Amo, to name a few that I’d say were excellent by Rangers standards in modern times.
Admitting you have only backed seven CH's that have played for us in the last 30 odd years is a bold move.

When will people stop judging players based on their goals scored column on wikipedia?

He is a good footballer, and considering he's available on a free he's pretty much the ideal profile of striker we should be looking at as an "understudy" to our main man up front. BTW he's much closer in style to Alfredo Morelos as an all round striker, than someone like Colak who is only about goals.

Also think it's obvious that if you're a decent striker playing for Rangers the goals will come a lot more frequently than they would at about 99% of other clubs in world football. Knowing what Maja is like as a player I'm pretty confident he'd end up in that 10-20 goals a season range in our league, even taking into account the fact that he'll likely be seen as more of a 2nd choice/understudy up front.

If he can pitch in with double figures in goals, as well as be a far better all round footballer than someone like Sakala (which he is), then he's pretty much the ideal signing for us right now in trying to rebuild an entire squad.
I’m not judging him solely on his goals.
There’s also enough professional opinions from people who watch Ligue 2 who have said he’s not good enough.
Beale said we need more firepower so just getting into double figures with us next season shouldn’t be considered a success.
Sakala easily managed that and he’s no where near good enough!
I take your point re Maja’s profile and style and the fact that a striker playing for us should get more chances- the issue is how many of them will be converted as that has been one of our main failings for years now.
Strikers are mainly judged on goal return- it’s nothing to do with Wikipedia- it’s a body of evidence that shows that Maja does not score enough goals.
Is he a good finisher? If so then better numbers will surely follow. If not then the only defence he will have is “ he works hard and chips in with his fair share.”
My point is that we need more than his fair share.

This is more like it! Some rumours even if it is a tedious link. It’s better than wading through Goldson being compared to every defender we’ve had!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back