Official The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is more like it! Some rumours even if it is a tedious link. It’s better than wading through Goldson being compared to every defender we’ve had!
That's why I put it on mate. You see stuff like this all the time, and you know it's highly unlikely. However, I'd rather talk about that, than slate our own players.

Haji Wright looks a player (in terms of size, pace and strength) that I would imagine Beale would want. Ability wise - I can’t say either way.

Maja would be a good signing on a free if it’s a possibility.

Haji Wright
Maja
Roofe
Colak

Thoughts?
Although Haji-Wright link is tenuous at best (thanks to the vagaries of Fraz) I'd be ok with that frontline. He's had a pretty good season, good age too & with plenty of experience.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/haji-wright/profil/spieler/315291

Haji Wright looks a player (in terms of size, pace and strength) that I would imagine Beale would want. Ability wise - I can’t say either way.

Haji Wright
Maja
Roofe
Colak

Thoughts?
It’s an upgrade on this season for sure.

My absolute ideal (and therefore unrealistic) would be Piroe, Krasso, Maja and Roofe. Fee back from Colak would cover excess between hagi Wright and Piroe; assumes we would go two up top (keep the diamond or go three at the back)

Signing on fees and wages probably a stumbling block but all bring something different

No, but I do think Beale will be particularly keen to nail down the spine of the team.

Goalkeeper (Butland)

Centre back (??? - although arguably lower priority until (if/when) Davies leaves)

Centre Mid (Cifu to complement Raskin and Cantwell)

Striker (???)

You can see why the poster reckons a Striker is likely to be the next immediate area of focus. We really shouldn't be going too far into preseason with just Colak as an option.
As the popular opinion is that the vast majority of our budget will be spent on forwards then unless we are signing someone like Maja who is OOC then my view is that we’ll be waiting a while to fill the number 9,10 & 11 positions.

It’s an upgrade on this season for sure.

My absolute ideal (and therefore unrealistic) would be Piroe, Krasso, Maja and Roofe. Fee back from Colak would cover excess between hagi Wright and Piroe; assumes we would go two up top (keep the diamond or go three at the back)

Signing on fees and wages probably a stumbling block but all bring something different
I think getting 1 of those 3 would be good going!

None of them will sign to be back up that’s for sure

Haji Wright
Maja
Roofe
Colak

Thoughts?
How many goals is in them? If Haji Wright is the main man, you be looking for 30 at least, that’s what we need. Don’t know a great deal about Maja or the level he’s playing at, but I trust Beale’s judgement, so 15-20 goals? A fit Roofe is 10-15 plus and Colak if he’s staying and depends on game time, but he’s a goal scorer so 10 to 15 plus also.

Really dont fancy signing Josh Maja. Hope its not true

I honestly don’t believe there’s anything in it. Not good enough to be our number 9 and doesn’t really fit the profile for a backup striker.

At the stage he’s at in his career he’d probably want a good wage and to be playing regularly.

Out of all the rumoured strikers the one that looks the best from YouTube (I know, I know) is that Krasso guy in France. He actually looks incredible
I like the look of Krasso as well. Interesting when you look at the stats of Krasso and Maja on sofa score, for those that are into that sort of thing.

They've both started a similar amount of games and scored a similar amount of goals but Krasso seems more involved in games.

He averages 50.1 touches per game to Maja's 32.9.

The one that jumps out at me the most is big chances missed. Krasso has missed 4 and Maja has missed 14. They both average 1 shot on target per game.

Successful dribbles per match Maja 0.6 and 2.3 for Krasso.

Krasso seems to be a hard worker in games as well, averaging 1.7 tackles per game to 0.6 for Maja.

Krasso is perhaps better at a high press, with a higher work rate.

Being greedy, I would like them both.

As the popular opinion is that the vast majority of our budget will be spent on forwards then unless we are signing someone like Maja who is OOC then my view is that we’ll be waiting a while to fill the number 9,10 & 11 positions.
I'd agree, I'd probably expect our "second striker" to be in before the main one as we strive to maximize value for money on the big deal and perhaps establish our true budget (re: qualifiers). But we will need someone in to be the focal point.

We will likely see the qualifiers with a front 6 looking like:

Raskin - Jack - Lundstram

Cantwell - Colak - Sakala

Not the end of the world, but whilst we have some options at present if we get an injury in midfield (Cifu if signed, Kamara until sold) or 10s (Hagi, Wright), we won't want to go into the early games with just Colak and Roofe as out and out strikers.

I like the look of Krasso as well. Interesting when you look at the stats of Krasso and Maja on sofa score, for those that are into that sort of thing.

They've both started a similar amount of games and scored a similar amount of goals but Krasso seems more involved in games.

He averages 50.1 touches per game to Maja's 32.9.

The one that jumps out at me the most is big chances missed. Krasso has missed 4 and Maja has missed 14. They both average 1 shot on target per game.

Successful dribbles per match Maja 0.6 and 2.3 for Krasso.

Krasso seems to be a hard worker in games as well, averaging 1.7 tackles per game to 0.6 for Maja.

Krasso is perhaps better at a high press, with a higher work rate.

Being greedy, I would like them both.
Krasso absolutely feels like the more attainable as well.

Would have no issues seeing him come here, strong powerful runner with the ball.

He may play 3 at the back on occasion, particularly in Europe, but the formation Beale finished the season with, the 4 (Jack, Raskin, Lundstram and Cantwell) in the midfield diamond, with the striker and wide player ahead of them, is the formation he'll prefer for the majority of games imo.

We were winning games, playing entertaining football and only using 1 wide player.

The players may be different next season, but I think he likes the midfield dominance that formation gives him.
He didn't have much choice to experiment with three at the back formations properly though, our centre backs have all been injured as have the strikers.

I could totally see us sticking with the diamond as well as again there are no winger rumours, but a lot of upcoming managers are playing three at the back these days and Beale has alluded to it a few times too.

I'd agree, I'd probably expect our "second striker" to be in before the main one as we strive to maximize value for money on the big deal and perhaps establish our true budget (re: qualifiers). But we will need someone in to be the focal point.

Not the end of the world, but whilst we have some options at present if we get an injury in midfield (Cifu if signed, Kamara until sold) or 10s (Hagi, Wright), we won't want to go into the early games with just Colak and Roofe as out and out strikers.

I'm pretty confident at least 3 players, possibly 4, from your proposed front 6 there won't start in the first of the CL qualifiers.

Haji Wright looks like a big, cumbersome, raw striker who’s got shades of Sakala in his game. His scoring record is poor, he was dreadful in Holland and any time I’ve watched the USMNT he’s been shit. His first touch is a tackle.
That’s what I thought looking at the YouTube video. All over the place and legs everywhere. I trust in what Beale is doing so we will see, it’s only a link but it’s the first one where they’ve said bids have been knocked back from us.

He didn't have much choice to experiment with three at the back formations properly though, our centre backs have all been injured as have the strikers.

I could totally see us sticking with the diamond as well as again there are no winger rumours, but a lot of upcoming managers are playing three at the back these days and Beale has alluded to it a few times too.

We pretty much already play with a back 3, it's just a bit less rigid. Lundstram has dropped into defence for spells in most of our recent games.

I think the only time we'll see it played with 3 centre halves is against strong teams in Europe.

Did Goldson fail a medical with us? Has his heart condition impacted his game time with us, did it therefore hinder his ability to get in his team down south? He was well recovered from his heart condition and still not back in the team that instead opted for Shane Duffy at that time!! Crazy I agree on that one but fact!
Brighton had established a really good defensive unit and CB partnership in Duffy and Dunk whilst Goldson had been out and clearly didn't want to disrupt that. Goldson's opportunities would have been limited and he was understandably keen to get back playing regularly which worked to our advantage. That doesn't mean Goldson is a poor player.

Zinchenko couldn't get a game at City because right footed Cancelo fitted the system better at the time. Zinchenko's opportunities were therefore limited. Zinchenko leaves gets regular game time and now looks the better left back.

That's football.

When will people stop judging players based on their goals scored column on wikipedia?

He is a good footballer, and considering he's available on a free he's pretty much the ideal profile of striker we should be looking at as an "understudy" to our main man up front. BTW he's much closer in style to Alfredo Morelos as an all round striker, than someone like Colak who is only about goals.

Also think it's obvious that if you're a decent striker playing for Rangers the goals will come a lot more frequently than they would at about 99% of other clubs in world football. Knowing what Maja is like as a player I'm pretty confident he'd end up in that 10-20 goals a season range in our league, even taking into account the fact that he'll likely be seen as more of a 2nd choice/understudy up front.

If he can pitch in with double figures in goals, as well as be a far better all round footballer than someone like Sakala (which he is), then he's pretty much the ideal signing for us right now in trying to rebuild an entire squad.
Your post is based on a false premise. Why would Maja join us to be a backup? I don’t think anybody would have an issue with that, but it’s not happening. Those who are unsure of Maja are unsure because he’d be coming in as our main striker.

We pretty much already play with a back 3, it's just a bit less rigid. Lundstram has dropped into defence for spells in most of our recent games.

I think the only time we'll see it played with 3 centre halves is against strong teams in Europe.
See I used to be completely against 3ATB because I felt it took a player away from the attacking play, which is true to an extent, but the versatility it gives you in build up play is great.

As I said before, teams still tend to defend in something along the lines of a 442. Your right or left CB shifts to fullback and the wingback sits at LM or RM in front of them to stack the wide areas. I think that would work excellently with Trusty and Sterling.

You might be able to add Dowell to those options but I’d hazard a guess that we will have at least 1 proper striker in by then given the importance of the tie

2 names I’ve been given are Josh Bowler and Karlan Grant.

I have no doubt we will be linked to 1000 players over the next couple of months so don’t shoot the messenger.

Grant was linked in the media not too long ago as well.

Bowler would be an interesting one - he's definitely got ability but hasn't kicked on as many hoped he would.

I do think he'll play 3 at the back in certain games, particularly away in Europe, but the majority of our domestic games see teams defending deep with 1 (if you're lucky) striker totally isolated up front.

A 3rd central defender against that sort of formation is a bit of a waste imo.

2 names I’ve been given are Josh Bowler and Karlan Grant.

I have no doubt we will be linked to 1000 players over the next couple of months so don’t shoot the messenger.
100% take bowler he stood out even after 20 pints at that Blackpool friendly last season. Got the big move to olympiakos then ended up back at Blackpool on loan. Left footed right winger, gets goals and assists. Came through at Everton

I’m not judging him solely on his goals.
There’s also enough professional opinions from people who watch Ligue 2 who have said he’s not good enough.
Beale said we need more firepower so just getting into double figures with us next season shouldn’t be considered a success.
Sakala easily managed that and he’s no where near good enough!
I take your point re Maja’s profile and style and the fact that a striker playing for us should get more chances- the issue is how many of them will be converted as that has been one of our main failings for years now.
Strikers are mainly judged on goal return- it’s nothing to do with Wikipedia- it’s a body of evidence that shows that Maja does not score enough goals.
Is he a good finisher? If so then better numbers will surely follow. If not then the only defence he will have is “ he works hard and chips in with his fair share.”
My point is that we need more than his fair share.

I'd be surprised if there were lots of professional opinions coming from Ligue 2 saying Maja isn't good enough considered he was named in Ligue 2 team of the season last week.

20230530_083322.jpg

R

I’d be amazed if both Roofe and Colak were here next year.

Roofe may be hard to shift, being in the final year of his contract.

Colak's finishing ability and penalty box predator nature, as we've seen countless times, (including last week) may see Beale want to keep him.

He's proved very handy when you're searching for a goal, particularly against low block teams

Grant was linked in the media not too long ago as well.

Bowler would be an interesting one - he's definitely got ability but hasn't kicked on as many hoped he would.
Grant still has 3 years left on his deal.Can’t see that one happening did they not sign him for big money?

I’d be amazed if both Roofe and Colak were here next year.

There's virtually no chance of Roofe leaving.

Who is going to buy him? If anything, he'd need to take a huge wage drop alongside a drop in the level he'd be playing at.

The alternative is we pay him off. Why would we do that? What is to be gained by paying Roofe a year's salary up front when he only has a year left on his contract anyway. Doing that would make no sense financially.

Roofe will be here until next summer at which point he'll leave on a free. If he somehow has a stormer this season, at best, he'd be in the Ryan Jack category of being offered rolling one year deals. He'll leave though.

I'd be surprised if there were lots of professional opinions coming from Ligue 2 saying Maja isn't good enough considered he was named in Ligue 2 team of the season last week.

20230530_083322.jpg
Ok fair enough but there was a journalist who said something along the lines of Maja isn’t a player that will strike fear into them and we’ll need to do better if we want the title back.
If he signs we’ll find out soon enough if that’s accurate

100% take bowler he stood out even after 20 pints at that Blackpool friendly last season. Got the big move to olympiakos then ended up back at Blackpool on loan. Left footed right winger, gets goals and assists. Came through at Everton
4 goals 1 assist in 25 games last season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back