Official UEFA Champions League play-off round draw - Rangers or Servette v PSV or Sturm Graz

He makes a perfectly reasonable point. But you keep your staunch little head in the sand.
Head in the sand ? I’m not the one looking for excuses, we could be here all day trotting the same ones out. Fixture lists, plastic parks, team need more time, not fully fit, refereeing decisions, one eye on Wednesday, other teams don’t try against celtic. We’ve heard them all before

I’d personally take the europa group stages. I’m not 100% sure on the figures but surely a good run to the SFs won’t be too far off the CL group stages money when you consider we’re unlikely to get results in the CL.

Pessimistic I know.
You think we’ll get to the semis of the EL but you’re pessimistic hahahw

I believe you may have forgotten only a couple of years ago being Champions but still having to play qualifiers anyway, before Steven Gerrard made it a free pass (we got humped and then faced Alashkert instead of Ludogorets if your memory will stretch).

It is not compulsory to play Celtic that weekend every season, but the SPL force us to.

Its a bizarre take for any Rangers fan to make that its our fault our two most pressure matches that shape season are deliberately scheduled back to back by the SPL.

Won’t derail thread with further correspondence.

I agree with this.

First old firm should be a bit further Into the season .

You think we will make the semi finals of the europa league?

Whats that based on?

I worry that our run to Seville has totally clouded many of our fans judgement on what a good run for us in Europe looks like.

Anything beyond the group stage is fantastic realistically.
Not saying we would make the semi finals but being top seeds in the group should mean qualifying from the group is the minimum we should expect from the EL. we should be looking to get to the quarters most seasons

I’d personally take the europa group stages. I’m not 100% sure on the figures but surely a good run to the SFs won’t be too far off the CL group stages money when you consider we’re unlikely to get results in the CL.

Pessimistic I know.

Pessimistic thinking we would get a good run to the semi final of the EL?

Thats probably more optimistic than thinking we will get into the CL groups at this stage!

I made this account last year after some of our (PSV) fans didn't behave very well to congratulate you on a well deserved win (regardless how painful it was at the time) and to tell Rangers is actually massively respected by many in Eindhoven. Personally really happy with Rangers, love the club, the atmosphere, and its whole history. I think PSV and Rangers also have a nice shared history together with historic matches and players who played for both teams (Tillman might be the latest addition to that list). Every match between Rangers and PSV is one for the books, two teams representing the beauty of how football once was. And not just new money.

In any case, if PSV and Rangers play against each other, don't hesitate to contact me about any good tips what to see and do in Eindhoven from a true local with good connections. And maybe we can have a beer as well. A real one, not that Amsterdam toilet water. Fully supporting Rangers against Servette (don't underestimate them they did well against Genk who did underestimate them).

Actually I would say we might be better than last year around the same time. We lost Simons but we bought back pretty decently. The real difference is that we have a new coach, Peter Bosz, who completely changed the way we play (far more offensive). It seems to fit the players and talents better. In the Super Cup match PSV was clearly better than Feyenoord [in their own stadium]. And PSV almost never plays well in Rotterdam. The worry is that we might still lose Ibrahim Sangare to Nottingham Forest (or any other team that might pass by). I think that would be even worse than losing Simons. But still, so far we got some great replacements and we are having a lot of confidence in both the new coach and the new technical director (Stewart).

I thought Sangare was your best player by a fair distance when we played last season

I think we'll ease past Servette and get pasted by PSV. We were pretty lucky to go through last year, by all accounts they've improved. Can't see us getting lucky twice

See if we go out against Servette what qualifier do we drop down to? We’re round 3 at the moment, I assumed we’d drop down to the play off for the Europa League so there’s still a chance we could end up in the conference league, is that correct? I’ve heard a few people say we’re guaranteed Europa League.

I thought you had to be knocked out in the play off round of the CL to go straight into the EL

See if we go out against Servette what qualifier do we drop down to? We’re round 3 at the moment, I assumed we’d drop down to the play off for the Europa League so there’s still a chance we could end up in the conference league, is that correct? I’ve heard a few people say we’re guaranteed Europa League.

I thought you had to be knocked out in the play off round of the CL to go straight into the EL
We are guaranteed Europa League group stage football this season

Other than the PSV fan above, I know another one who goes to every game. She has massive respect for us as a club and is as wary of playing Rangers as we are of playing PSV.

Should they on paper be the strongest team of the 4 in the draw? Yep. Football ain’t played on paper.

I thought Sangare was your best player by a fair distance when we played last season

He for sure was. Simons was already good but made considerable progress throughout the season. Thanks to him and Sangare we really were able to lock down that second place (and Ajax was just horrible last season). Now the team overall seems far more stable.

So if we lose against Servette we drop right into the EL? I thought that was for the playoff round not round 3 ?

Any links?
Relax. We are in the europa groups regardless.

The prize for beating servette isn’t small though - £5 million payment plus an extra home games tv money and gate receipts roughly £7 million in total. That’s should we lose to PSV in the following round.

Servette is a really big game for us, arguably bigger than the following round.

Head in the sand ? I’m not the one looking for excuses, we could be here all day trotting the same ones out. Fixture lists, plastic parks, team need more time, not fully fit, refereeing decisions, one eye on Wednesday, other teams don’t try against celtic. We’ve heard them all before

We had a massive penalty decision go against us at Rugby Park. Celtc had a massive penalty decision go their way early doors, which could have seen Hart red carded. You don't think these decisions have any effect on how games end.?

We can beat anyone on our day. History shows that. Just hope we can click at the right times this season starting Wednesday!

I was under the impression when you got knocked out a qualifier you drop down a tournament then along to the next stage, but with different paths I’m not following

IF we end up in EL pot 1 (depending on the scores in the CL obviously) we'd avoid West Ham, Liverpool, Roma, Villarreal, Bayer Leverkusen and Atalanta at this point plus another team to be determined

well according to Kassie's site at least

I agree with this.

First old firm should be a bit further Into the season .
During the 55 season when there was some chat about getting fans back in, Celtic managed to get the first Old Firm moved to the last round of games - when Goldson scored twice

So its been done before....

I was under the impression when you got knocked out a qualifier you drop down a tournament then along to the next stage, but with different paths I’m not following
Nope. The CL qualifiers League path, teams who lose in QR3 or PlayOff go directly to the EL groups.

The only difference is the 5million parachute payment if you lose in the Playoff instead of QR3.

I made this account last year after some of our (PSV) fans didn't behave very well to congratulate you on a well deserved win (regardless how painful it was at the time) and to tell Rangers is actually massively respected by many in Eindhoven. Personally really happy with Rangers, love the club, the atmosphere, and its whole history. I think PSV and Rangers also have a nice shared history together with historic matches and players who played for both teams (Tillman might be the latest addition to that list). Every match between Rangers and PSV is one for the books, two teams representing the beauty of how football once was. And not just new money.

In any case, if PSV and Rangers play against each other, don't hesitate to contact me about any good tips what to see and do in Eindhoven from a true local with good connections. And maybe we can have a beer as well. A real one, not that Amsterdam toilet water. Fully supporting Rangers against Servette (don't underestimate them they did well against Genk who did underestimate them).

Actually I would say we might be better than last year around the same time. We lost Simons but we bought back pretty decently. The real difference is that we have a new coach, Peter Bosz, who completely changed the way we play (far more offensive). It seems to fit the players and talents better. In the Super Cup match PSV was clearly better than Feyenoord [in their own stadium]. And PSV almost never plays well in Rotterdam. The worry is that we might still lose Ibrahim Sangare to Nottingham Forest (or any other team that might pass by). I think that would be even worse than losing Simons. But still, so far we got some great replacements and we are having a lot of confidence in both the new coach and the new technical director (Stewart).
That’s good to hear mate and a lovely offer for anybody heading over to Eindhoven.

Also some good insight into how PSV are doing at the moment and where you are compared to last year.

I wish you the best against Sturm Graz and hopefully we will meet you in the next round.

On a different not

The home game many years ago against Sturm Graz was one of the best I’ve seen at Ibrox outwith the obvious ones
5 nil , de boers debut I think and the place was rocking
Though we were piss poor in the return match

On a different not

The home game many years ago against Sturm Graz was one of the best I’ve seen at Ibrox outwith the obvious ones
Early goal always helps. Was a great night.

How many times
Well no one has really said how, just we’re in the groups. Is there a source? I’m not doubting people just my understanding of the qualification is obviously outdated and it wouldn’t be the first people on here talk nonsense and/or are wrong

Well no one has really said how, just we’re in the groups. Is there a source? I’m not doubting people just my understanding of the qualification is obviously outdated and it wouldn’t be the first people on here talk nonsense and/or are wrong
2021-24-uefa-club-competitions-scheme.png

For the sake of this drawing we are in CL-Q3nc in Orange in the CL qualifier path.

On a different not

One of our most bizarre European campaigns [ and that's saying something ]. Pump them 5 0 at Ibrox with Ferguson,De Boer, et al in their pomp,and we fail to qualify from the group whilst they do.

One of our most bizarre European campaigns [ and that's saying something ]. Pump them 5 0 at Ibrox with Ferguson,De Boer, et al in their pomp,and we fail to qualify from the group whilst they do.
Was the last game in that group against Monaco? I’m a victory would see us through , 2-1 up until big ammo gifted the ball away for Simone to score
As you say a bizarre campaign

Back